• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Euden isn't the mobile rep I'd really advocate for the most, if you know me, you know who I prefer.

But I wouldn't mind him.

Cygames content baby
I watched to Granblue Fantasy anime but I’ve never played the game. I think Katalina is my favorite character although Oigen really reminds me of Zegram.

Laniv

Smash Lord
It is a little muddier than that though since he's the physical manifestation of Demise's hatred or anger or something. IIRC, Demise is a god, but whether or not that would make Ganon/Ganondorf one is likely just up to interpretation.

Also he's Gerudo, not human but that's beside the point.
Well, ackshully, Gerudo are a race of humans

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think they can take liberties with Enguarde and have them float in mid air for the sake of having them charge across the stage a few times, Kyogre is just fine out of water for example, Goldeen's just the joke summon

Honestly I don't know why it's Goldeen doing Splash, that's Magikarp's thing and you could have it evolve into an enraged Gyarados if hit enough times.
Because the anime influences Pokemon i Smash, tremendously
Complaints about KI bias disappeared for Ultimate's base game as it lost quite a bit of content, like how people yelled Kirby and Star Fox bias in Brawl and then said Sakurai hated those franchises in 4
Kirby bias isn't an argument I heard a lot, and when I did- it had no legs on which to stand. Kirby got...some items, and two chararacters.
Meanwhile, other series got 4 characters.
It didn't make sense then, relative to the series size, and it makes even less in hindsight.
Here’s my safe predictions

1) a sega rep of any kind

2) professor Layton (it’s a lot safer pick when you actually think about things)

3) a Nintendo rep from one of the 3 companies. Animal crossing, Zelda (hyrule warriors to be specific) or Mario

4) a second atlus rep

5) a second snk rep.
I'm not sure why a second SNK rep makes sense. The only other ATLUS rep people tend to consider is from SMT- which I think would be received VERY poorly, and would also, internally, seem to be a second rep from the same (arguably, "undeserving" franchise), and I think Professor Layton doens't make much sense, considering all the same arguments (and more) could be said for Cooking Mama.

inb4 they pull a Sm4sh :ultbayonetta:and end it off with a hype character that's also broken af
Boy, you and I really remember 2016 differently.
Oh for the love of...if they really wanted a Gen 8 rep, they wouldn't have made a spirit event for Sword and Shield near the end of the Fighter Pass. FE3H had nothing at all until Byleth's reveal, and that's the point people apparently keep forgetting
"They won't add a spirit, they won't add a villain, they won't add a non protagonist, they won't add a character from a Series that has a Mii costume."
When do we learn.
Business decision this, business decision that, I'll be very blunt here, but I'm tired of hearing this everywhere I go as if it was some sort of godsend revelation
Min Min started the pass, that alone weakens the ''last char bad'' argument by a significant degree. If that was the case they would be smart enough to not pick her first, not to mention Ninty already has FP1 so they wouldn't have to rely on FP2 for sales.
inb4 ''ARMS is hype'', yeah a new IP with no legacy or fully polished gameplay to speak of, that sold 2 million copies, got its comic cancelled and had poor retention of its playerbase is very clearly a hype pick, even when barely anyone asked for Min Min instead of Spring Man before the AT
I agree with all of this, except that Min Min was always the most popular character from ARMS- and to me, since 2017, the clear most likely.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think they can take liberties with Enguarde and have them float in mid air for the sake of having them charge across the stage a few times, Kyogre is just fine out of water for example, Goldeen's just the joke summon

Honestly I don't know why it's Goldeen doing Splash, that's Magikarp's thing and you could have it evolve into an enraged Gyarados if hit enough times.
I personally think Enguarde should just summon a wave beneath itself that it can ride kind of like Squirtle’s running animation.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I wonder if one of the last mii costumes is gonna be fortnite considering we still don’t have a clue what the “no comment” comment was from the people who made fortnite. I doubt it would be a fighter as I doubt sakurai and Nintendo would want 2 western building reps in the same pass and I doubt it’s a spirit even as it probably would’ve already happened by now.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I’m kind of surprised that Borderlands never gets brought up in Smash speculation. Not only has the series sold a ton of games but they also have cool characters with fun abilities that could translate well to Smash. They are even on the Switch which makes the lack of discussion even more weird.
Yeah, it's a shame that Borderlands is barely mentioned in smash speculation. I gladly take a spirit event to have some content of it in ultimate.

All three of those are available on the Wii U!

...at least, until they take away the ability to add money to it next January.

...people other than me have a Wii U, right?
I keep my Wii U until the day my console dies from old age or Xenoblade X gets a switch port...whatever comes first.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I wonder if one of the last mii costumes is gonna be fortnite considering we still don’t have a clue what the “no comment” comment was from the people who made fortnite. I doubt it would be a fighter as I doubt sakurai and Nintendo would want 2 western building reps in the same pass and I doubt it’s a spirit even as it probably would’ve already happened by now.

Not to mention with the exception of Banjo-Kazooie and Minecraft, most of the big western franchises only get Mii Costume representation.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
They wat?

Humans aren't generally a ridiculously tall female only species (aside from the likely unnatural Ganondorf) so ya could've fooled me.
They are mostly based off Amazons im sure. You just never saw males because they were never kept in the tribe, only the girls

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
More than 12 hours later and they still haven't tweeted the NSO trailer on Twitter (meanwhile the Youtube dislike ratio has gotten even worse lol).

But then they tweeted this......

I mean they have to be 100% aware of the feedback.....

Paraster

Smash Lord
More than 12 hours later and they still haven't tweeted the NSO trailer on Twitter (meanwhile the Youtube dislike ratio has gotten even worse lol).

For whatever reason, the option to get a 7-day NSO trial with Platinum Points from My Nintendo seemed to have vanished when I looked last week, but this implies it's still a thing...?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They are mostly based off Amazons im sure. You just never saw males because they were never kept in the tribe, only the girls
I could be wrong since I'm going off memory, but I'm pretty sure Ganondorf is the only male Gerudo period, which would mean that they are indeed locked to being female under normal circumstances. They also travel throughout Hyrule in order to find a mate (at least in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild) which would make them pretty stupid if the reason for this was that they cast out all of the males. Plus, you would still be able to find male children running around if this were the case. At least, I would hope you could since it otherwise implies that they straight up kill the males by sending them out into the world before they're old enough to actually survive. Actually now that I think about it you should also find males out and about, just not in Gerudo Town...

Anyway, I wouldn't doubt the Amazonian influence in terms of the concept, but fantasy races have been called decidedly not human for less, so it's still a surprise that they are considered human here.

Wait a minute, are Hylians considered human? If so, what happened to the bog standard human? Do they exist and just aren't called out? Have I been assuming that human characters are Hylian regardless of whether or not they actually live in Hyrule? Would a human living in Hyrule still be referred to as Hylian just because that's what Hyrule's citizens are called? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Crash 25th Anniversary Bundle revealed

Neat. Though I already have N Sane Trilogy (and ngl I can't really click with it, wish I either got the Spyro trilogy or something else tbh)

ZelDan

Smash Master

Neat. Though I already have N Sane Trilogy (and ngl I can't really click with it, wish I either got the Spyro trilogy or something else tbh)
This news maybe would have been something for me if I didn't already have the Nsane trilogy on Switch, have Crash 4 on the Xbone (and not finish it since I really didn't care for it), and ever played a Crash racing game.

Cool it's happening nonetheless.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

I already have N. Sane Trilogy and Crash 4 on PS4 and Nitro Fueled on Switch. So while it's cool that's happening, it doesn't really affect me that much.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah I should dust my Wii U off as well someday.
I need to beat the Super Star Wars trilogy. The sandcrawler level in the first game is brutal.
Well if we're going that route I need to hook up my Wii+HB/HDD and beat Metroid Prime 2 on Metroid Prime Trilogy cause Dark Samus is just so fast x.x

SKX31

Smash Master

Puretty sure it's tied to Pokemon Unite (assuming it runs multiplayer under NSO) since it also happens to be F2P.

For whatever reason, the option to get a 7-day NSO trial with Platinum Points from My Nintendo seemed to have vanished when I looked last week, but this implies it's still a thing...?
The rewards seem to still be up - the My Nintendo site wasn't taken down at least.

I could be wrong since I'm going off memory, but I'm pretty sure Ganondorf is the only male Gerudo period, which would mean that they are indeed locked to being female under normal circumstances. They also travel throughout Hyrule in order to find a mate (at least in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild) which would make them pretty stupid if the reason for this was that they cast out all of the males. Plus, you would still be able to find male children running around if this were the case. At least, I would hope you could since it otherwise implies that they straight up kill the males by sending them out into the world before they're old enough to actually survive. Actually now that I think about it you should also find males out and about, just not in Gerudo Town...

Anyway, I wouldn't doubt the Amazonian influence in terms of the concept, but fantasy races have been called decidedly not human for less, so it's still a surprise that they are considered human here.
Looked it up just to be sure, and the answer is:

A rather peculiar aspect of the Gerudo is that the race consists almost entirely of women, with a male being born only once every hundred years. This male is destined to become their king.[9][10] When there is no male to be their king, the Gerudo are led by a chief with the position passed on from mother to daughter.[11] The exact nature of this phenomenon is never explained. It is known, however, that at least during the Ocarina of Time era, the lack of males among the Gerudo is countered by them taking boyfriends from other human races.[12] This is also the case in the era of Breath of the Wild, and they also wed their boyfriends. Married Gerudo do not typically live within the walls of Gerudo Town, but they enter to sell their wares at the market.
Not the most detailed lore - for instance the exact nature of how this happens is left unexplained (if Zelda lore had been written by Tolkien, Martin or any other in their vein that kind of question would've been tackled), but still.

Wait a minute, are Hylians considered human? If so, what happened to the bog standard human? Do they exist and just aren't called out? Have I been assuming that human characters are Hylian regardless of whether or not they actually live in Hyrule? Would a human living in Hyrule still be referred to as Hylian just because that's what Hyrule's citizens are called? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Part of me wants to see Nintendo hire GRR Martin, have him write the next Zelda game and center the game's plot around these questions. Partly because I want to see the pure carnage that would ensue.

(Of course, that's not going to happen, but I kinda want it because of the sheer stylistic change.)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

My Wii U broke years ago.... and my 3DS is on the verge of falling apart due to.... you know, years of age.

My current living situation also makes TV gaming quite inconvenient as well, which is why I mostly play my Switch handheld these days.

So,... no, going back to old systems for the virtual console ain't really an option for me (or others in different situations with similar results I'd imagine). I mean the Switch install base is more than 6x the Wii U's so I'd imagine millions don't have access to that regardless (and the 3DS doesn't have N64 and it's GBA library was only limited time, so it's not much better than NSO).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I do but I rarely use it… I’m concerned it may not last long

volbound1700

Smash Master
They wat?

Humans aren't generally a ridiculously tall female only species (aside from the likely unnatural Ganondorf) so ya could've fooled me.
To be fair, can you call any of the races in the Legend of Zelda human? Even Link and Zelda are Hylian which seem to be more an elf-like race than human.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of which, Rabbids for Smash. Yay or nay?
Uh...Ay? I don't really care for the Rabbids as a species, but I do like the named Rabbids from Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Even so I'm not super enthused at the idea of Rabbid Peach joining the fray. Just gimme Peach with a shotgun.

Like with all characters, I'll probably warm up to them when they drop, however.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I wouldn’t mind Euden or Sora at all in Smash. If you think it’s tough wanting Sora, I’m probably the only person who has Xemnas as one of their most wanted lol. I don’t bring him up much because I’m pretty sure no one would agree with me so I just keep that pipe dream to myself most of the time.
Hot ass Xemnas and his hot ass voice are a good pick, hes my #1 fav KH villain but, Sora man, i love him

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why a second SNK rep makes sense. The only other ATLUS rep people tend to consider is from SMT- which I think would be received VERY poorly, and would also, internally, seem to be a second rep from the same (arguably, "undeserving" franchise), and I think Professor Layton doens't make much sense, considering all the same arguments (and more) could be said for Cooking Mama.

Boy, you and I really remember 2016 differently.
Actually, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are considered separate series' internally, at least if ATLUS and Sega financial reports and interviews are anything to go by.

And what is "undeserving" is not only completely subjective, but a stupid metric. And anyway, if the most influential JRPG series not to have any representation isn't deserving, I'd like to know what you think is.

Also, I could be way off, but the majority of people seem to either be open to or indifferent towards an SMT rep. I've seen very little actual hostility towards it (Which makes sense because getting upset over video games is stupid).

For Bayonetta, I didn't participate in Smash speculation when she was revealed, but from what I've seen people were annoyed with Corrin but happy about Bayonetta (until it turned out she was broken).

ZelDan

Smash Master
I do still have my Wii U on me, though I'd rather not have to plug it in again if I don't have to.

Which I don't think I must for Fusion, Zero Mission, or Aeia of Sorrow. I still have a Harmony of Dissonance/Aria of Sorrow double pack on me, and I think I still have Fusion and Zero Mission cartridges on me, as well as a GBA SP (don't know if it still works though), so...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Just give me a weird waifu/husbando fish person or a Falco bird clone and I'll be happy. Heck, I'll even take the beefy living rock bros.

More of the unrepresented Zelda races would be great.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I still have my Wii U. Although currently, I want to wait before using it again since the place where I normally played it is not the cleanest place.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I haven't really touched it as of late, but I still hold onto mine adamantly. I plan on playing the two Rabbids games I played as a kid with my niece on it later this week.

Speaking of which, Rabbids for Smash. Yay or nay?
Nay. I don't like em. Ugly ass freaks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as the Champions go:
  • Mipha would likely be a standard swordfighter (as in the archetype, not weapon of choice) with a comeback mechanic where she just gets a substantial heal upon reaching 100%.
    • They could make Mipha's Grace a meter bound Special Move, but I feel like that would make it even less interesting of a comeback mechanic (EDIT: and more annoying).
    • She might also be a bit more pressure focused if they play around with her Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity gimmick, or something similar.
    • She would likely be a feather weight to balance out the fact that she heals herself.
  • Rivali would be a projectile character, likely with a mechanic similar to Peach's Float attached.
    • He would also be the most annoying character in the game, as all of his quotes would either be heavily sarcastic, a boast, or a straight up insult against his opponent.
  • Urbosa's sword is a little on the shorter side, so unless they made her a projectile zoner (which I don't think would fit her), I could see her being more of an all-rounder, or a borderline heavy character with some asterisks attached due to her gimmick with Urbosa's Fury.
    • I could be wrong, but I feel like Urbosa is the most likely due to being the most popular, but if a character's gimmick spoke to Sakurai more, I wouldn't be surprised if he went with someone else.
  • Daruk's gimmick is that...he can't be shield poked? Yeah they'd have to take his gimmick from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity or give him something else to make him super unique unless they thought that heavy with beeg sword was enough.
    • To be fair, he would be pretty interesting as a trap character that can remotely detonate rock pillars and ramps and such.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Rivali would be a projectile character, likely with a mechanic similar to Peach's Float attached.
  • He would also be the most annoying character in the game, as all of his quotes would either be heavily sarcastic, a boast, or a straight up insult against his opponent.

I want this solely for the possible winquotes against Link

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
As far as the Champions go:
  • Mipha would likely be a standard swordfighter (as in the archetype, not weapon of choice) with a comeback mechanic where she just gets a substantial heal upon reaching 100%.
    • They could make Mipha's Grace a meter bound Special Move, but I feel like that would make it even less interesting of a comeback mechanic (EDIT: and more annoying).
    • She might also be a bit more pressure focused if they play around with her Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity gimmick, or something similar.
    • She would likely be a feather weight to balance out the fact that she heals herself.
  • Rivali would be a projectile character, likely with a mechanic similar to Peach's Float attached.
  • Urbosa's sword is a little on the shorter side, so unless they made her a projectile zoner (which I don't think would fit her), I could see her being more of an all-rounder, or a borderline heavy character with some asterisks attached due to her gimmick with Urbosa's Fury.
    • I could be wrong, but I feel like Urbosa is the most likely due to being the most popular, but if a character's gimmick spoke to Sakurai more, I wouldn't be surprised if he went with someone else.
  • Daruk's gimmick is that...he can't be shield poked? Yeah they'd have to take his gimmick from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity or give him something else to make him super unique unless they thought that heavy with beeg sword was enough.
    • To be fair, he would be pretty interesting as a trap character that can remotely detonate rock pillars and ramps and such.
Revali would be a Falco echo fighter. :4pacman:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Yoshi actually already has this, and as a Yoshi main lemme tell you it's awesome lol. Shield pokes can be so annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom