• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

1983 Today "Donkey Kong" (Donkey Kong) NES version released !! The arcade version that appeared in 1981 was the founder of jump action. The selling point of the NES at the time of its release was that the masterpieces could be played at home. In Smash Bros. SP, the sound effect of stage "75m" is replaced with the arcade version compliant. #Smash Bros SP

FreeFox

Smash Lord

1983 Today "Donkey Kong" (Donkey Kong) NES version released !! The arcade version that appeared in 1981 was the founder of jump action. The selling point of the NES at the time of its release was that the masterpieces could be played at home. In Smash Bros. SP, the sound effect of stage "75m" is replaced with the arcade version compliant. #Smash Bros SP
Donkey Kong plays an important part on videogame history. Its such a shame that 75m competes for the worst stage ever created for smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Donkey Kong plays an important part on videogame history. Its such a shame that 75m competes for the worst stage ever created for smash.
Hot Take: The worst stage is not 75M, it's Gaur Plain. It's large size and walk-offs encourage running away, which means you have to run around a ton of tiny platforms arranged around a giant pit in the center that is hard not to fall into. Also, CPUs interact with Metal Face by not interacting with him and staying on the opposite side of the arena until it resets, so you end up just killing Metal Face, and waiting for the stage to reset. Also Also, the location isn't even Gaur Plain. Creative liberties were taken with the exact location, but it it's a spot that overlooks Gaur Plain, it isn't the plain itself. Just call it Bionis Leg.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
75m isn't even the worst DK stage

has ptsd flashbacks of Rumble Falls
Well, it’s the worst DK stage in Ultimate, since thankfully Rumble Falls and it’s wicked cousin Icicle Mountain were both banished to the shadow realm and never showed up for more than one game.

Down with vertical autoscrolling stages.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I’d be excited to play almost anything they come up with. My favorite is still the original Xenoblade but all the games have been fun in their own way. If we do get X-2 and they have a returning cast, that gives Yuna Elma a great shot for the next Smash.
Why is Xenoblade X not Xenoblade 2?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's basically a spin off.

I'm not super well versed in Xenoblade lore but there's several things in XB2 which directly call back to XB1, 1 of which being an enormous story spoiler, while X stands alone kinda.
I know a part of the spoiler... but Xenoblade 2 doesn't really appear to be a direct sequel either, considering how differently they play.
I just don't understand why X is more of a spinoff than 2.

Shroob

Sup?
I know a part of the spoiler... but Xenoblade 2 doesn't really appear to be a direct sequel either, considering how differently they play.
I just don't understand why X is more of a spinoff than 2.
Well

The main villain in XB1 is quite literally half of the creator god in XB2, so if you want a simple answer, it's the story. X is basically as far removed from the "story" as you can get, while XB1's antagonist is half of the creator god of XB2.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It's Waluigi, I'll bet my Burger King on it!
That reminds me, a new development has been found in the Spongebob murder case! Turns out, Eggman merely helped him fake his own death so he could get into Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl! ...And now it would be the absolute best if Eggman was indeed the final character for Ultimate, lmao.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Korra has been sighted on the box art, and it's possible that Aang is there too. Considering how much of a moneymaker ATLA is for Nickelodeon I expect it to have a character in some form. The Western Air Temple has also been spotted as a stage.
As far as the Nickelodeon title, unfortunately there's still no sign of any of the Avatar the Last Airbender characters, including Sokka.

It figures, the one time we want an anime swordsman in a platform fighting game, and he's nowhere to be found.
Sokka has a sword, boomerang, and bombs ("TADAAAAAA! Fake firebending!"). He'd literally be our Link!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well, it’s the worst DK stage in Ultimate, since thankfully Rumble Falls and it’s wicked cousin Icicle Mountain were both banished to the shadow realm and never showed up for more than one game.

Down with vertical autoscrolling stages.
Eh, I actually didn't mind Icicle Mountain as much. It didn't have as much obstacles or ones that could do as much damage. It was easier to keep up with things.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh, I actually didn't mind Icicle Mountain as much. It didn't have as much obstacles or ones that could do as much damage. It was easier to keep up with things.
Doesn't that stage also have a gimmick where it randomly speeds up to the point where certain characters likely get KO'd because they can't jump fast and/or high enough?

I'd imagine that stage would have probably been even more of a nightmare for certain newcomers that have come along since...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah no way in hell is EMMI happening lmao. It wouldn't have it's freaky movements in Smash either unless it could cling on stages and climb freely but at that point a stage hazard would be better with said stage being made with EMMI's movements in mind.

That sounds pretty fun actually, having EMMI walk in and threaten with an OHKO, while players can yeet opponents to EMMI to distract it

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Well

The main villain in XB1 is quite literally half of the creator god in XB2, so if you want a simple answer, it's the story. X is basically as far removed from the "story" as you can get, while XB1's antagonist is half of the creator god of XB2.
Also the structure of X tends to have it focus a lot more on the environment and exploration aspect of the Xenoblade series compared to the story like the other two games. It’s sort of like the inverse of the other 2 games in that way, the story is still a very important aspect but exploring Mira is emphasized a lot more through how you play and progress through the game. In Xenoblade 1 and 2, the story is the main focus, while exploring the world is still a major part, just not as significant as it is in X. I think that this distinction contributes partially to its designation as more of a spin-off than a follow-up like 2 is.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Was listening to some professor Layton music and man it got me thinking. If Layton is the last character then no one is gonna be prepared for his music. It slaps soo hard. I recommend the Layton franchises OST is you haven’t listened to it. It slaps soo hard. Just avoid Layton 7’s OST.

My opinion on level 5 being in smash changes daily usually but I’m actually pretty confident on professor layton’s chances. Like really really confident

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I mean, if the Emmi's design was around when the Fighter Pass 2 roster was decided around 2018, that would make Emmi a very early picked character, probably more early than Byleth or Greninja. But that's what makes it very unlikely for the EMMI to be picked when they were more than likely still very early concept art.

That said, all we really know about the EMMI is that they are Galactic Federation robots that were originally research robots and that the Federation sent a whole group of them to search for the supposed X-Parasites that survived, then they lost contact with the EMMI, and now the EMMI have supposedly gone rogue, whether by being tampered with or because of a flaw in their programming. So anything is possible after that point.

But I'm just saying, it wouldn't be surprising if an EMMI was chosen for the "saved by the enemy" moment that the 2D Metroids(including the recent Samus Returns) like to evoke.
Now I don't know if the EMMI design was finalized around 2018, but there's one character whose design was largely finalized by 2017 and is likely set to have a major role in Dread.
chozomemories.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Now I don't know if the EMMI design was finalized around 2018, but there's one character whose design was largely finalized by 2017 and is likely set to have a major role in Dread.
View attachment 322827
Bruh we even saw a living Chozo in Dread's trailer which is kinda weird that it took this ****ing long to see perhaps the most important part of Metroid lore. That's like if the Triforce was first seen in BotW2

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
You think getting characters for Smash would be easier if Sakurai were president of Nintendo?
In this hypothetical situation:
Perhaps for a specific group of characters, yes.
Sakurai's potential JRPG and NES-era bias could hypothetically kick in.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Was listening to some professor Layton music and man it got me thinking. If Layton is the last character then no one is gonna be prepared for his music. It slaps soo hard. I recommend the Layton franchises OST is you haven’t listened to it. It slaps soo hard. Just avoid Layton 7’s OST.

My opinion on level 5 being in smash changes daily usually but I’m actually pretty confident on professor layton’s chances. Like really really confident
What is Layton 7?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
You know, Snake should really be an Assist Trophy.

Not the MGS character, they are fine as a character. I mean the classic and iconic mobile phone game.
The snake moving around eating fruit and creating walls on stage by increasing in size? Sure that could work.

What is Layton 7?
Did a quick search and I am now confused on what Layton 7 means.
Is it the 7th overall game? If so then it’s the Layton Ace Attorney crossover.
Or is it main entries? If so, the entry starring Layton’s daughter would be it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Doesn't that stage also have a gimmick where it randomly speeds up to the point where certain characters likely get KO'd because they can't jump fast and/or high enough?

I'd imagine that stage would have probably been even more of a nightmare for certain newcomers that have come along since...
Both it and Rumble Falls had that, yes. Icicle Mountain didn't warn players before the speed changed, but in both cases the changes came practically instantly. IIRC Icicle Mountain could be faster than Rumble Falls, although the trick to surviving IM / RF was to ascend multiple floors at a time when it got fast (use double jumps etc.).

The focus on surviving is pretty much why I personally did not enjoy those stages (nor enjoy the horizontal scrollers for that matters).

You think getting characters for Smash would be easier if Sakurai were president of Nintendo?
While Sakurai would in that scenario be able to leverage his contacts in the industry, I kinda doubt it'd be easier since I've never gotten the impression that he's a legal expert. That and the position of President means that he'll have to oversee all kinds of projects - not just Smash but also most first-party games - meaning that he can't fully commit to one series the way he does now. It's worth remembering here that Sakurai created Sora Ltd. with the intention of being able to focus on one project at a time.

Also, Pokemon Unite's got its release date. Next week:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What is Layton 7?
Layton 7 in the 7th game In the series. It’s quite weird because technically professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is cannon to the professor Layton series (and potentially Phoenix Wrights series) which was the 6th game in the series therefore katriella and the millionaire conspiracy should be the 8th game in the series yet katriella and the millionaires conspiracy is titled Layton 7 in Japan I believe.

It’s basically the 7th main game in the series to answer your question

Twilord

Smash Ace
The snake moving around eating fruit and creating walls on stage by increasing in size? Sure that could work.
I kind of picture it teleporting the fighters to the end of its body, and getting one longer; but with the catch that when it goes for your character if you're smart you can trick it into biting its own tail. If you convinced it to do that it loses one of its three lives, and becomes your Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
PLvsAAs ost bangs
It really does. Trying to get my hands on the game as it’s the only one that I haven’t played yet due to it being so darn expensive.

It’s a shame azran legacy and the crossover didn’t do as well as everyone would hope. It’s what happens though when you don’t advertise your games, spoil half the plot in those games before release and then release them at different times In countries so that 1 County can spoil the game before it’s even out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bottom pick gives me DOOM vibes and I'm down with that
Actually it's a before and after
I mean, Square said no Cloud to PSABR because they didn't trust the unproven dev team while Sakurai was the total opposite, if anything it'd be harder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom