• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Or literally anyone else. Since the background colors have no relationship to the characters.
Okay, first of all, I said "maybe one of the blues", since I was being hypothetical. Second, go take a look at Joker's, Hero's, Banjo & Kazooie's, Min Min's, Sephiroth's, and Pyra/Mythra's background colors. They're very much related (not that I think relationships are necessarily concrete but I digress).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Very good chance we may see the reveal of Persona 6 and its protagonist this year.
Uh oh, I think we found FP11 you guys
It's like saying Porky's a lock because of Mother 3 happening to get a localization.
Not commenting on everything else you said, people have already explained why it's factually incorrect. But c'mon. Mother 3 being localized would be a huge deal, and a massive vote of confidence from Nintendo in the franchise. If it happened during a speculation period, people should absolutely consider Porky for that.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On the Phoenix Wright conversation...
I absolutely do prefer Resident Evil to get a character first.
For the genre, but also because it has more sales--- it isn't everything, but it would make Smash even bigger, more than what Ace Attorney can do for Smash.

A lot of the characters share a name and some light inspiration but are otherwise completely unique. By this logic Marth would be discounted as his Japanese name Mars, is the Roman god of War. Or Palutena, who is very blatantly inspired by Athena. Or Joker seeing as how Arsene was originally created by a French Author in the early 1900s.
So I'd argue that they are Fate original characters and the idea that being based on a historical or mythological figure makes a character ineligible for Smash is blatantly ridiculous. However, I don't see a Fate character as being at all likely, because it isn't really a video game franchise. Fate feels like a loophole for the "Video Game characters only fan rule" because it technically started as a video game franchise. But I'd argue a videogame franchise means that it made its biggest cultural impact in the video game industry, which is not really the case for Fate. And even the first game wasn't really a game either, it was a visual novel, that, unlike Ace Attorney, FDC or Danganronpa, never really justified itself as such. Its premise and world were probably better suited to an RPG, so it's quite fitting that most of its success came from its anime adaptations. And if Nintendo wants to add a non videogame character, then they don't need a loophole, they can add whoever they want (provided they're willing to pay the licensing), so why would they add a Fate character of all things?
Option we don't consider----

Napoleon for Smash!
(background, Napoleon is ...well obviously, Bonaparte, the second most written about man in history. But also the character from Nintendo's first game wayyyyy back before gaming).

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Not commenting on everything else you said, people have already explained why it's factually incorrect. But c'mon. Mother 3 being localized would be a huge deal, and a massive vote of confidence from Nintendo in the franchise. If it happened during a speculation period, people should absolutely consider Porky for that.
...I'm dropping it. Seems pretty clear to me just how deep-seated this is. There's no sense of timing here at all.

Y'all want to believe in it, go for it. I won't stop you, since there's clearly no point trying anyway.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So... I am on the belief that the next character is Dragaux.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Again... Metroid got more characters because there was demand for it. Pretty hefty demand.

And I haven't missed that AA has some popularity. It's just not big at all, and never was. There was some demand at the time of the ballot, but it kinda fell off hard when Ryu was confirmed.
Seems to me like the entirety of your argument is based on your very subjective perception of popularity...

We don't even know in the end what makes characters go in. That super old ballot might mean nothing, especially with how people abused it. Demand is a tricky thing to evaluate. Banjo didn't necessarily get in because of the ballot, or because of demand, or because of anything. But he was a huge icon of the N64 era. And people are happy he got in, and he sold well. So for Ace Attorney, a big icon of the DS era, probably one of the most well known visual novel characters, well you have to take all of that into account before clearing him off. You turning down other people's hopes and dreams is the exact toxicity you were supposedly trying to avoid... Who cares if people get excited and start thinking en masse, like for Dante, that he's going to happen? Let them hope and dream!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Seems to me like the entirety of your argument is based on your very subjective perception of popularity...

We don't even know in the end what makes characters go in. That super old ballot might mean nothing, especially with how people abused it. Demand is a tricky thing to evaluate. Banjo didn't necessarily get in because of the ballot, or because of demand, or because of anything. But he was a huge icon of the N64 era. And people are happy he got in, and he sold well. So for Ace Attorney, a big icon of the DS era, probably one of the most well known visual novel characters, well you have to take all of that into account before clearing him off. You turning down other people's hopes and dreams is the exact toxicity you were supposedly trying to avoid... Who cares if people get excited and start thinking en masse, like for Dante, that he's going to happen? Let them hope and dream!
Banjo got in because of his Jazzy pants. This is a fact.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I feel like this came from 3 years ago lol

Season 5 is amazing, all the new characters have been fun and great picks. SF5 still has that pre-come back musky aura comeback but they really brought it back from what it was at launch, SF6 will probably be much better than 5. it's a big ip.
I like SF5, I’m glad they brought the game back with Season 5, and I am excited for SF6. I am not denying its a big IP.

What I am referring to is that SF is the only Fighting Series Capcom is supporting, and they aren’t even supporting the series as much as they used too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Exactly my point. Metroid got more content despite what could be perceived as indifference to the series. Glad we are on the same page for once. AA can get in using the exact same logic. That is my point. You cant apply rules to one series and then when shown with an example in a similar position say nope.

Also, you didnt seem to address the irony.

I heard the game didnt perform as well as it could. It doesnt help that Nintendo killed a fan made project called AM2R (which like Samus returns, was a remake of the same game as Samus returns).

Though it seems like Dread has helped the game get new life:

You have to remember Sanus Returns was announced at Nintendo Treehouse 3 months before release on a near dead system while being a franchise that let's face it, was never a heavy hitter. Samus Returns did amazing in those circumstances, especially as a Mario series outright died on the platform around that time.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not sure what Phoenix's Smash popularity/demand was like before Ultimate, but as far as Ultimate specualtion goes he definitely seems like a hugely popular character that I have seen countless discussions for. Probably about as much as Dante or other Capcom IPs.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
You have to remember Sanus Returns was announced at Nintendo Treehouse 3 months before release on a near dead system while being a franchise that let's face it, was never a heavy hitter. Samus Returns did amazing in those circumstances, especially as a Mario series outright died on the platform around that time.
You can tell it did well enough for one simple reason; if Samus Returns didn't do well, they wouldn't have bothered with putting the same dev team on Dread.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Can we start a speculation thread for the Nickelodeon game?
It's kinda weird how some of the series have secondary characters without the main characters. Like, Helga, but no Arnold? Powdered Toast Man, but no Ren or Stimpy? Reptar but none of the actual Rugrats?

Anyway, glad they're doing this. Not sure why more companies don't make Smash clones.

Dreamworks or Cartoon Network could make Smash clones with really good rosters.

Also, why the **** isn't Last Airbender in this?!

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
On the Phoenix Wright conversation...
I absolutely do prefer Resident Evil to get a character first.
For the genre, but also because it has more sales--- it isn't everything, but it would make Smash even bigger, more than what Ace Attorney can do for Smash.

Option we don't consider----

Napoleon for Smash!
(background, Napoleon is ...well obviously, Bonaparte, the second most written about man in history. But also the character from Nintendo's first game wayyyyy back before gaming).
I don't know if it's the first one, but I would be down for this. Honestly i believe he was one of the exceptions to the "Video Game Characters only" rule that actually has a support thread on this site.

I'm not sure what Phoenix's Smash popularity/demand was like before Ultimate, but as far as Ultimate specualtion goes he definitely seems like a hugely popular character that I have seen countless discussions for. Probably about as much as Dante or other Capcom IPs.
There was some but I don't think there was as much as there would have been for a lot of other Capcom characters.
I do think we're basically guaranteed a Phoenix mii but I've been pretty vocal on his support thread about the fact I don't think he has a chance anymore

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The blues and greens in the color theory reminded me of another one of my favorite video game characters that I don’t think I’ve ever once seen brought up for discussion: Raziel from Soul Reaver. He’s extremely unlikely but I think he would be awesome to play as in Smash. We already have vampire hunters in Smash through Simon and Richter so why not a playable vampire to go along with them?

1626202381170.jpeg

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I'm not doing what you're saying I'm doing. Metroid and Ace Attorney are not in similar positions to each other, because Ace Attorney is resurging only now, while Metroid began resurging in 2016 with Federation Force. AA is also not owned by Nintendo, which you seem to have missed.

You're also equating the demand for Ridley with the demand for Phoenix Wright. If you did that back in 2013-18, you'd probably be getting your ass blasted. I have never seen such an inequal comparison.

Also, I do see "the irony", but it doesn't really exist?
Federation force bombed and people were angry by its reveal. One can easily argue that metroid was in a worse position.

No. I am saying that both are popular and popular characters have a chance of getting in and any buzz surrounding them doesnt mean that they cant join in.

The irony is simple to explain. Ignoring popularity here for Golden Sun just as you are for AA. Let me ask, what is Golden Sun current standing between all of the Nintendo IPs? It isnt top 10/top 20/top 30 in the franchises. Sales? Each consecutive game in the franchise sell less than the last one. New games? The franchise hasnt gotten anything in years. We of the smaller IPs supporters should be working together so that our characters get into smash and prevent the series from gatekeeping not kicking one another calling each other small and irrelevant.

I agree. There were many circumstances that didnt help sales be any bigger. Totally a shame considering the game is great. I even got the amiibos. My point by bringing out metroid was pointing out how it isnt hard to make a series look bad by pointing out only certain facts and misconstruing the whole thing. The reality about metroid is that it had some bad luck and some bad timing with those three games. None of them are bad. The whole situation with metroid prime 4 also has an explanation. The reality is that metroid isnt in bad standing at all. It is in a great spot when it comes to nintendo IPs, all things considered.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tbf Nick's popularity dropped hard in Ultimate as people stopped caring as much about Nintendo significance when it came to Capcom but he was clearly seen as the next option after Mega Man in terms of popularity
It's kinda weird how some of the series have secondary characters without the main characters. Like, Helga, but no Arnold? Powdered Toast Man, but no Ren or Stimpy? Reptar but none of the actual Rugrats?

Anyway, glad they're doing this. Not sure why more companies don't make Smash clones.

Actually, the boxart all but outright says we're getting Ren and Stimpy alongside Korra with people believing the pose under Korra's silhouette belongs to Aang

image0-2.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tbf Nick's popularity dropped hard in Ultimate as people stopped caring as much about Nintendo significance when it came to Capcom but he was clearly seen as the next option after Mega Man in terms of popularity
Actually, the boxart all but outright says we're getting Ren and Stimpy alongside Korra with people believing the pose under Korra's silhouette belongs to Aang

View attachment 322566
Say, does anybody see El Tigre on the boxart? I saw somebody say he MIGHT be there, but I'm not that good with silhouettes...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I can’t speak about Dreamworks but I know there was a Cartoon Network Smash style game years ago:
2EF80DBC-184D-4ADF-83A5-3F6F3A6D47A6.jpeg
I don’t think it was that good though... there was a updated release with XL added to the end of the title.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's sorta weird because games like Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla show that there are platform fighters that aren't Smash can do well. So is it possibly a matter of not wanting to compete with Smash Bros. in general? Maybe it has to do licenses and whatnot, kinda like Shounen Jump? Maybe they just don't want to do it? Who knows...

That aside, I don't know why, but the Metroid discussion and Metroid Dread coming out this year had me re-looking at the Metroid Prime 1.5 concept stuff again and man, I wish they would actually make a game out of that concept. Heck, maybe for a Metroid Prime Hunters 2.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Why ask for Waluigi and Crash in Smash when their moves are already in nickelodeon all stars?

This is a joke by the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom