• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We finally got the Kazuya tournament

anyway, calling a new Spirit Event next week

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You think Sakura being the first fighter of Vol. 1 would've painted a slightly better impression, appeal-wise?

BTW, here's our event for the week:
Well there's a weird catch 22 with Smash sometimes. It can very often be the proverbial kingmaker in getting a lot of eyes on franchises people wouldn't consider otherwise (just see the amount of people that got interested in FE via SSB), yet there are times where it feels like (more often with third parties than first) that one has to have reached a certain status to get there. Basically to get in something like Ultimate it almost paradoxically feels like the IP needs to have proven they don't need the exposure from it.

I will say that feels more symptomatic of DLC than other scenarios. From a marketing and investment standpoint Nintendo could safely include a lot of Western or Japan centric fighters in a base game specifically because there's no risk in doing so. A Doom Slayer or Sakura is not going to turn people off of buying Smash if they're getting their proverbial Dante or Sora already.

If they have Sakura as the first fighter, its entirely possible the future of that franchises is quite different and the inclusion potentially fuels demand for re-releases/localizations of the SW series in general. Its more or less a potential likelihood dependent on the unlikelihood of Nintendo choosing that as the first DLC character.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You think Sakura being the first fighter of Vol. 1 would've painted a slightly better impression, appeal-wise?

BTW, here's our event for the week:
Well that’s just one more thing that makes it seem like another fighting game character is unlikely at this point. I thought there was still a decent chance before this but I’m not sure if they’d do a fighting game character tournament if there was still another coming.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nintendo seems adamant about wanting to branch Smash onto as many audiences as it can
Not...completely? Remember, the DLC has already included three first-parties and one former first-party whose post-Nintendo days are seen as worse. Plus, you're Mr. Shadow Has To Be In and Smash already has tons of overlap with Sonic fans.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
We finally got the Kazuya tournament

anyway, calling a new Spirit Event next week
I already mentioned it

7NATOR

Smash Master
Not...completely? Remember, the DLC has already included three first-parties and one former first-party whose post-Nintendo days are seen as worse. Plus, you're Mr. Shadow Has To Be In and Smash already has tons of overlap with Sonic fans.
There's a difference between saying Nintendo is Prioritizing New, big franchises, and saying that Nintendo will only put that as DLC. I'm saying the Former

It does seem like Dragon Quest, Minecraft, and Tekken were the franchises Nintendo wanted in Smash the most, but that doesn't mean they didn't choose the rest of the DLC. They chose all the DLC, but I do think they had their choices the found to be of upmost importance

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah. Pretty much. RE is out, MH is out, and Dante's out. There's not a lot of likely Capcom reps left.
Hey! Hey! Hey though! The spirit event of Resident Evil happened back in Pass 1 and the fact of the Heihachi costume coming before Kazuya!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Delightfully Devilish Ninty!

Chalmers: You know these OLED screens are quite similar to the ones they had for the Vita.
Skinner: Oh no, patented Nintendo screens, old company technology.
Chalmers: For the $350 Switch OLED?
Skinner: Yes.
Chalmers: Yeah and you've priced it at $350 despite the fact that all you've added to the dock is a new kickstand and a LAN port.
Skinner: Ye- You know, the- One thing I should- - Excuse me for one second.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Joy Cons will be exactly the same as the old model.

The dock can be purchased separately, in addition, the dock of the original model is compatible with the OLED Switch and the OLED dock is compatible with the original model Switch.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Joy Cons will be exactly the same as the old model.

The dock can be purchased separately, in addition, the dock of the original model is compatible with the OLED Switch and the OLED dock is compatible with the original model Switch.

Which means we’ll likely still have drift issues… oof

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Joycon Drift issue has been such a black cloud over the Switch's lifespan that I'm occasionally finding myself really hoping that Nintendo gets hit hard by the EU's investigation and/or the numerous lawsuits associated with it. Anything that would disincentive them from ever being this lackadaisical with their hardware again would go a long way.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I just don’t get why Nintendo hasn’t redesigned the Joycons yet. Surely it isn’t that hard to get rid of the drift issue.

They gave the Switch better battery life just because they could, didn’t make it a brand new model or raise its price. They just took a complaint and fixed it.

But when they’re controllers are malfunctioning so bad Nintendo is quite literally being sued, they do nothing. Both of my sets of Joycons became unusable due to drift.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I just don’t get why Nintendo hasn’t redesigned the Joycons yet. Surely it isn’t that hard to get rid of the drift issue.

They gave the Switch better battery life just because they could, didn’t make it a brand new model or raise its price. They just took a complaint and fixed it.

But when they’re controllers are malfunctioning so bad Nintendo is quite literally being sued, they do nothing. Both of my sets of Joycons became unusable due to drift.
You actually just answered your own question as to why they don't redesign the Joy-Con.

If they redesigned them while a lawsuit was being filed for their design deficiencies, that's essentially an admittance of guilt and by extension, a great loss of money for Nintendo.

Thus, they keep with the current Joy-Con at the expense of consumer satisfaction.

I don't agree with their course of action, btw. I'm just explaining a possible reason for their abysmal response.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You actually just answered your own question as to why they don't redesign the Joy-Con.

If they redesigned them while a lawsuit was being filed for their design deficiencies, that's essentially an admittance of guilt and by extension, a great loss of money for Nintendo.

Thus, they keep with the current Joy-Con at the expense of consumer satisfaction.
They offer to fix Joycon for free in a few places, that should be enough of an admission of guilt. Besides, fixing the drift issue saves them from PR hell. They have much more to gain by fixing the issue than they have to lose imo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I bought two official pro controllers that eventually became unusable so I bought two third party pro controllers. Those controllers also became unusable within a week of buying them. Now I just use my PS4 controllers to play Switch since I don’t trust Nintendo’s controllers anymore.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here's the thing, in my opinion:
Guessing Resident Evil as a series to get a playable rep isn't too difficult.
Guessing the Resident Evil CHARACTER is a lot harder.

Leon. Jill. Chris. Wesker. Nemesis. Clair. Heck, even Lady Dimitrescu.
Assuming Nintendo go the way of picking the character that reflects the general gameplay translated over unto Smash, I think at the very least it's safe to say it'll be a playable character and not any of the Bioweapons, as much as I'd really like to play as Wesker.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
They offer to fix Joycon for free in a few places, that should be enough of an admission of guilt. Besides, fixing the drift issue saves them from PR hell. They have much more to gain by fixing the issue than they have to lose imo.
That's the thing, though.

Drift comes up entirely from the Joy-Con's internal architecture, and if you alter it and the failure rates reduce by a considerable margin, that only lends credence to the idea that Joy-Con had a faulty design from day 1.

Sending it in for repair isn't a bad way to illustrate the wider problem that Joy-Con face, but the big unknown factor comes from why each consumer's Joy-Con needed to be sent in in the first place and how that came up.

And as you can imagine, there are so many ways Joy-Con can be mistreated, as repair is for all aspects of the controller, not just drift.

Solid evidence? Absolutely. But redesigning the controller would be the death blow the court is looking for to sue Nintendo, and you can bet they're not looking to lose money over this lol.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Assuming Nintendo go the way of picking the character that reflects the general gameplay translated over unto Smash, I think at the very least it's safe to say it'll be a playable character and not any of the Bioweapons, as much as I'd really like to play as Wesker.
I thought when it came to third parties they tended to pick the main character or rather the ORIGINAL main character (@ Kazuya)

so going off of that wouldn't the choice be Chris and maybe Jill as an alt?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Fair.
As someone who has never touched a RE game, I don't even know, or didn't know, that Wesker is a Bioweapon of some kind lol

Going back to what you said, regarding the protagonists, there's ofc good ol' Leon. Jill would be neat if they want more female characters.
I just did some research; UNLESS I'm mistaken, Leon was a protagonist in RE2 and 4, both of which seem to be regarded as some of the bests games in the series. Jill's the protagonist of the OG RE, alongside Chris, but also appeared in WAY more titles than Leon did.

Hmm.
Guess Jill would be a better choice, I suppose? She HAS been in Street Fighter and MvC, so Smash wouldn't be her debut in a fighting game. Leon's never been in a fighting game it seems.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Here's the thing, in my opinion:
Guessing Resident Evil as a series to get a playable rep isn't too difficult.
Guessing the Resident Evil CHARACTER is a lot harder.

Leon. Jill. Chris. Wesker. Nemesis. Clair. Heck, even Lady Dimitrescu.
RE8 wasn’t revealed before FP2 was finalized right? I don’t think Lady Dimitrescu would be picked beforehand.

I’m not sure about Claire either, shes only been in a couple mainline games and her moveset could likely be done by other more popular protags. Claire is my favorite Protag though so I’d love to be proven wrong.

The others are hard to predict I agree.
I bought two official pro controllers that eventually became unusable so I bought two third party pro controllers. Those controllers also became unusable within a week of buying them. Now I just use my PS4 controllers to play Switch since I don’t trust Nintendo’s controllers anymore.
I’ve gone through 2 sets of first party Joycons and 1 set of third Party Joycons.

Now I just use a wired controller and a Wireless 3rd party Gamecube controller with obnoxiously loud buttons.
That's the thing, though.

Drift comes up entirely from the Joy-Con's internal architecture, and if you alter it and the failure rates reduce by a considerable margin, that only lends credence to the idea that Joy-Con had a faulty design from day 1.

Sending it in for repair isn't a bad way to illustrate the wider problem that Joy-Con face, but the big unknown factor comes from why each consumer's Joy-Con needed to be sent in in the first place and how that came up.

And as you can imagine, there are so many ways Joy-Con can be mistreated, as repair is for all aspects of the controller, not just drift.

Solid evidence? Absolutely. But redesigning the controller would be the death blow the court is looking for to sue Nintendo, and you can bet they're not looking to lose money over this lol.
Fair point, Nintendo really backed themselves into a corner with this. If they had listened sooner or tested Joycons more this whole mess could’ve been prevented.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Jill's got a more interesting backstory imo.
It seems she's bene through more than even Leon has. Emotional kind of character, would have a good character personality transition into Smash I suppose.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

The original Samurai Shodown released 28 years ago today!

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

The original Samurai Shodown released 28 years ago today!
Tiny Falco
Tiny Falco

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Jill's got a more interesting backstory imo.
It seems she's bene through more than even Leon has. Emotional kind of character, would have a good character personality transition into Smash I suppose.
Imo it's between Jill and Leon, with each having some advantages over the other
On one hand you have Leon who's supposedly the most iconic RE protagonist while also the most requested, and then you have Jill who seems to be more relevant to the series overall (and also has appeared in MvC if I'm not mistaken).

I think they'd go with Leon here though, the whole reason Kazuya was picked over the more requested Heihachi was due to the Devil Gene (and possibly his appearance in PSASBR), which would make him more unique in comparison.

RE however, doesn't seem to share this issue, as both Leon and Jill would have very unique movesets in their own right, so I think they'd go with the former as a crowdpleaser. In fact, it's possible they'd pick Leon precisely because he hasn't appeared in fighting games before, in order to give him a chance of some kind.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I thought when it came to third parties they tended to pick the main character or rather the ORIGINAL main character (@ Kazuya)

so going off of that wouldn't the choice be Chris and maybe Jill as an alt?
It's more that they tend to add the most iconic characters from the franchise:
  • :ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultsonic::ultpacman:
    • Titular characters. There is not really another valid choice.
  • :ultcloud:
    • Potential outlier, though Final Fantasy VII does seem to be the biggest deal of each entry in the series, getting a movie, Kingdom Hearts appearances, and several spin-off games, as well as a...seeeeequel?
  • :ultryu:
    • The mascot of the Street Fighter series.
  • :ultsimon::ultsnake:
    • As far as I know, they're most well known figures within their respective series despite not appearing in every single entry.
  • :ultjoker:
    • Potential outlier, though the Persona series has a rotating cast, so naturally only the relevant members can get in so it's not as important who you pick.
    • Yu had been the current mascot for the series up until the inclusion, but Persona 5 seems to have been a bigger deal critically than its predecessor.
  • :ulthero:
    • The first unambiguous outlier. Despite Slime seemingly being bigger as a mascot, Hero is a perfectly fitting choice since they're the protagonist of literally every mainseries game.
  • :ultkazuya:
    • The second unambiguous outlier (from my perspective). He, Heihachi, and Jin do share mascot status to a point, but Heihachi is the most well known of the three.
    • In this case Kazuya was picked because his Devil Form made the translation from Tekken to Super Smash Bros. possible in Sakurai's eyes.
      • I don't really get this logic, but even ignoring that, he may not be Mr. Tekken, but he's far from some rando either just like with Hero.

As far as Resident Evil goes:
  • Chris seems to be the one that Capcom pushes the hardest at present.
  • Jill is very prominent within the series, especially in older titles.
  • Leon is a fan favorite protagonist at least in the west. He's very different in Japan so I dunno about there.
  • Wesker is about as iconic as Chris and Jill are, though he's a villain and not likely to represent the gameplay super well.
  • Ethan is the new guy, and may be picked if Capcom has further plans for him, but otherwise probably not.

Polan

Smash Lord
its funny cuz stepping back and looking at it overall, pass 2 is actually fairly predictable and safe. if this had been our pass 1 lineup, everyone but sephiroth and steve and depending on who 6 is would have been predicted and even then steve had some rumours to his name. i guess its unpredictability only came about because everyone thought ARMS xenoblade and tekken were out of the running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom