• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
We still need to fix the issue involving costumes that don't change the model for every single slot. And also try to find a way for fighters to have more than 8 costumes.
This is true, but a lot of progress has been made on these fronts! A beta implementation of the former has proven that with some refinement, it'll absolutely work out soon enough.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's still really weird to me that Ganondorf don't have his own theme. I think he's the only vilain without his own victory theme.
Wolf doesn't have one either.

Neither do Dedede or Mewtwo (which I guess are both more debatable on whether they're actually bad guys).

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
OH going back to my Octoling idea

what if Octoling didn’t just have a Smash Ball Mem Cake but also of Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Sandbag, Galeem, Dharkon, and every fighter up to Kazuya including also Octoling themselves, both genders (Kirby hats not included)?

for reference: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Mem_cake
Interesting. Could be the Splatoon version of Pac-Man's Namco Roulette. Though I imagine it would be just Mem Cakes from the original game rather than Smash-based.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Also, a minor victory screen quirk, but maybe Sonic victories should have the ring ding sound effect the first time you press that A button on the victory screen (as in go to the results section)?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Interesting. Could be the Splatoon version of Pac-Man's Namco Roulette. Though I imagine it would be just Mem Cakes from the original game rather than Smash-based.
If they did decide to go all out like that though I can see why they’d save Octoling for last if they are indeed the last character

maybe include alts like the other three heroes, CEO Kazuya etc?

like it’d just be randomized at Octoling’s victory screen. From a programming standpoint I can imagine that and the TEST PASSED! Thing taking a lot of work

just enough to make a September deadline at minimum… 🤔

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how much we should read into the seemingly large window between now and the next fighter... in regards to the identity of the fighter themselves. With this being the final DLC fighter, it's very possible other aspects of the game are polished or tweaked to accommodate the content being finalized. That could take time!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean, Tsunami Kick and Spinning Demon are their literal inputs. I'm pretty sure his down back and up back too attacks are too.
Right and for the most part that’s fine but as Sakurai pointed out in the presentation in more than 1v1 matches it’s going to be a little awkward to pull of those back 3 moves or if you go to attack someone on say your left side while facing right you may throw out a right facing move accidentally.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Right and for the most part that’s fine but as Sakurai pointed out in the presentation in more than 1v1 matches it’s going to be a little awkward to pull of those back 3 moves or if you go to attack someone on say your left side while facing right you may throw out a right facing move accidentally.
I wouldn't be surprised if all dedicated Kazuya players use tilt stick when he comes out.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So:
  • Cloud's victory fanfare loops.
  • Joker has no announcer, but has 3 looping victory themes and 3 unique backgrounds, including a Final Smash that transitions into the victory screen.
  • Sephiroth has a unique background, and a unique post-fanfare theme (usually it's Super Smash Bros.'s character select theme).
  • Kazuya has no victory fanfare, but has a unique announcer.
If unique victory screens like these were more common, what changes would you like to see to a character's victory screens? Said characters can be for a veteran, or a potential newcomer.
Unfortunately I don't see Sgt. Cortez coming with a unique victory fanfare but I guess the results screen could just look like this instead.

TimeSplitters thing.png

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wouldn't be surprised if all dedicated Kazuya players use tilt stick when he comes out.
Yeah that’s the only way I really see that working out. It’s a bit weird to think about the only way to get the best version of Kazuya is by changing your control scheme a good bit to make up for it.

This is coming from a Tekken fan but I do wonder if Kazuya could’ve been just a little better implemented. I haven’t gotten my hands on him yet but these specific directional inputs seem a little more clunky than the Shotos or even Terry. But who knows maybe my mind will change when I get my hands on him.

This’ll probably be the first character I REALLY have to lab though. At the very least to see which moves correlate where in a combo.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can't wait for the update. I wanna see how they buffed Falcon for the fifteenth time. :iwatanod:

7NATOR

Smash Master
What do you think Kazuya's DLC Tournament is gonna be based around, since that is also coming today when he releases?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah that’s the only way I really see that working out. It’s a bit weird to think about the only way to get the best version of Kazuya is by changing your control scheme a good bit to make up for it.
And even then we still have to deal with this: :GCDR::GCD::GCDR: and this: :GCR::GCD::GCDR: doing different things.

This is coming from a Tekken fan but I do wonder if Kazuya could’ve been just a little better implemented. I haven’t gotten my hands on him yet but these specific directional inputs seem a little more clunky than the Shotos or even Terry. But who knowsmaybe my mind will change when I get my hands on him.

This’ll probably be the first character I REALLY have to lab though. At the very least to see which moves correlate where in a combo.
I think the most egregious inputs are the back, up back, and crouching inputs overlapping with their respective down inputs. That and the...uh...Initial Dash Attack.

Some people have been predicting that some (or a lot) of his moves will be unnecessary/useless, so we'll have to see about that as well.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm pretty hyped for Kazuya's moveset. To me it looks simpler than the other shotos because there's not that many directions to press for a single move. Most of Kazuya's gimmick is just expanding his normals by adding a ton of tilts by holding diagonal or back directions. Feels easy and intuitive without being alien to the regular Smash control scheme.

Aboyd

Smash Cadet
What do you think Kazuya's DLC Tournament is gonna be based around, since that is also coming today when he releases?
My personal guess was characters who debuted in arcade games instead of consoles and handhelds. Mario, Donkey Kong, Luigi, maybe Sonic (because of Rad Mobile), Little Mac, Pac-Man, Ryu, Ken, Terry, and of course Kazuya

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pokemon has 8 separate characters to choose and yet all of them share the same theme. What's strange is that For FE they even went through the effort of giving the Awakening characters and Corrin their own victory themes when they shared the general FE one in Smash 4.
They pretty much all (Besides Mewtwo and Lucario) have the same entrance animations too, what with them all coming out of poke balls and all. I know its the iconic thing to do and all, but they could probably diversify that a little too I suppose. Like maybe have Pikachu and/or Jigglypuff jump off a tall patch of grass or Pichu hatch out of a Pokémon egg or something, I dunno...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not my idea, but I saw an idea that his classic mode would have characters that are canonically fathers
So:
  • Fox (unless Star Fox Zero counts as a retcon for earlier games)
  • Bowser
  • Chrom
  • Robin?
  • Ken I think
  • Corrin?
  • Simon?
  • Richter?
  • Kazuya
  • Boss: Dracula
Potentially doable, but either Simon and Richter need to have confirmed direct descendants, the Fire Emblem avatars need to be included, or a combination of the two.
EDIT: Fox probably needs to count as well.

EDIT EDIT: If this is a thing, I hope the stage for every fight is the volcano portion of Wuhu Island.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
So:
  • Bowser
  • Chrom
  • Robin?
  • Ken I think
  • Corrin?
  • Simon?
  • Richter?
  • Kazuya
Potentially doable, but either Simon and Richter need to have confirmed direct descendants, the Fire Emblem avatars need to be included, or a combination of the two.

EDIT EDIT: If this is a thing, I hope the stage for every fight is the volcano portion of Wuhu Island.
You could also add Brinstar Depths, Norfair, and the underground portion of Castle Siege to get more variety in volcanic environments.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So:
  • Bowser
  • Chrom
  • Robin?
  • Ken I think
  • Corrin?
  • Simon?
  • Richter?
  • Kazuya

Olimar and Pac-Man are fathers too. Robin and Corrin can remain childless but are generally understood to be the parents of Morgan and Kana respectively.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So:
  • Bowser
  • Chrom
  • Robin?
  • Ken I think
  • Corrin?
  • Simon?
  • Richter?
  • Kazuya

If you're counting Simon and Richter, than Marth counts as well. They're all in the same boat of "we know they had families at some point due to their descendants existing" but personally I wouldn't count them. Because if we did then we'd need to include Young Link due to the Hero's Shade implications and that's weird.

So the list would be Bowser, Yoshi if you want to count him as an adopted dad, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Olimar, Pac-Man, Ken, Joker, Terry, Kazuya.
The dubious canonicity of Command's endings made me leave off Fox.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you're counting Simon and Richter, than Marth counts as well. They're all in the same boat of "we know they had families at some point due to their descendants existing" but personally I wouldn't count them.
This is why I gave the two a question mark.

So the list would be Bowser, Yoshi if you want to count him as an adopted dad, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Olimar, Pac-Man, Ken, Joker, Terry, Kazuya.
The dubious canonicity of Command's endings made me leave off Fox.
I wouldn't count Yoshi since it was multiple Yoshis that dealt with Baby Mario, and they simply returned the babies to the stork (Might be a different story in Yoshi's Island DS, but I wouldn't really know). This and the fact that DLC characters can't be in Classic Mode Routes other than their own, and you get Bowser, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Olimar, PAC-Man, Ken, and Kazuya, which is just enough to not stick Kazuya in his own route provided that you use Dracula as the boss.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Here is something for fun
If you had the chance to add 5 more Mario character (including from:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultwario:) to smash who would they be and why.
1. Dixie Kong. Cause she's absent. That's why. She shouldn't be.
2. Toad , Captain or not, doesn't matter, both have their classic status and merits.
3. Cranky Kong. Why? Bias. And he's the OG DK. Very important to the overall DKC lore, and been promoted to playable since Tropical Freeze.
4. Ashley. Probably the most popular of the Wario characters. New game, which focusses on each characters unique ability, seems a good fix.
5. Poochy. Cause why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom