• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So... when does Kazuya drop?
Here are the times:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
momokaz-resizedagain.png
Decided to get a head start on making a skin mod for the new main - by doing up the render edit for the UI (resized here to not inconvenience data users)! His clothes and shoes will have major shininess effects as reflected here (pun not intended). I was an idiot and started doing the Switch equivalent of mashing F5 fifteen minutes ago. Wrong timezone!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do think it’s strange that this pass, including Kazuya, has followed the second chance occurrence to a tee.

Arms barely missed it because of how close it was to it’s release.

Steve took 5 years to negotiate.

Sephiroth is the outlier here but even then there were rumors behind him and the lack of FF7 stuff inbase was suspicious in hindsight.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the same reason as Arms.

And finally a Tekken character was considered for Smash 4 and maybe even early Smash Ultimate.

I have to wonder who else could follow that second chance pattern if it continues to the very last one. Dixie? Chorus Kids? …Hayabusa?

Then again this whole thing could just be a big coincidence.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I do think it’s strange that this pass, including Kazuya, has followed the second chance occurrence to a tee.

Sephiroth is the outlier here but even then there were rumors behind him and the lack of FF7 stuff inbase was suspicious in hindsight.

And finally a Tekken character was considered for Smash 4 and maybe even early Smash Ultimate.

I have to wonder who else could follow that second chance pattern if it continues to the very last one. Dixie? Chorus Kids? …Hayabusa?

It's funny, because they seem to focus a lot on the fact that Volume 2 has 1 extra fighter. So either this will be yet another character who got a "second chance" or... this is the time where the theory will be broken, because this is the one fighter that wasn't considered originally. We've got no real way to know.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Maybe Sonic? Shadow missed the boat to be an Echo fighter, so maybe we could make up for it by having Eggman be the last fighter?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm not sure if anyone brought this up yet but there is now a pattern with the Mii costumes.

We now have 3 costumes with a song, and all of those costumes are indies. They skipped over Travis, Geno, Dante, Dragonborn, etc. when it comes to the song department. So it seems like that only the indie costumes will get a song, probably because it's cheaper to acquire a song from an indie dev. It's still a dam shame though. The music selection is already huge so maybe I shouldn't complain but we could have had songs like Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and No More Heroes' main theme be in Smash. It would give Ultimate's soundtrack that extra push to be truly considered "ultimate".

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

hmm... maybe...?

Sakurai Shin Megami Tensei.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I have to wonder who else could follow that second chance pattern if it continues to the very last one. Dixie? Chorus Kids?
Krystal would kind of be funny to see as the last character in a pass full of second chances, because choosing Wolf over her in Brawl, and her over any other video game character as CP11 would be for the exact same reason: Needing to reuse assets.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

Either this is a case of the last character being completely unrelated to this theory, or it will keep the trend going. And honestly, I could see the former happening since I looked up who else was scrapped and the only realizable choices (that wouldn't include double dipping) were among a Rhythm Heaven rep and Ayumi which imo are very, very low-key, at least for the general audience. Anything else just dives way deep into speculative ground.

I want it to be Sonic though, Shadow got done dirty in base game (ad nauseam I know) and Sakurai won't have to bother with the AT precedent breaking the internet since this is the last one. It could also be Waluigi though but he'd have a harder time coming up with spirits I imagine.
I do expect RE or something of the like, or a moderately big franchise at least, but not necessarily a big character associated with the Smash bubble a lot.

DittoInDisguise

Smash Apprentice
Either this is a case of the last character being completely unrelated to this theory, or it will keep the trend going. And honestly, I could see the former happening since I looked up who else was scrapped and the only realizable choices (that wouldn't include double dipping) were among a Rhythm Heaven rep and Ayumi which imo are very, very low-key, at least for the general audience. Anything else just dives way deep into speculative ground.

I want it to be Sonic though, Shadow got done dirty in base game (ad nauseam I know) and Sakurai won't have to bother with the AT precedent breaking the internet since this is the last one. It could also be Waluigi though but he'd have a harder time coming up with spirits I imagine.
I do expect RE or something of the like, or a moderately big franchise at least, but not necessarily a big character associated with the Smash bubble a lot.
i don't think waluigi would have much trouble with spirits. Bk came with only 7 and there are already 3 waluigi spirits in the game. You can easily throw in karts from mario kart, items from mario party, and variations of existing character spirits (for ex. Mario Gulf super rush King Bob-omb). He's pretty much the face of spin offs and they have like 20+ yrs of mario spin offs to pull from.

I'm also leaning towards 1st party as the last character, fits with what they've done in the past and having one of their one properties as the "one more fighter" they end things on makes sense to me. Probably Ayumi.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
i don't think waluigi would have much trouble with spirits. Bk came with only 7 and there are already 3 waluigi spirits in the game. You can easily throw in karts from mario kart, items from mario party, and variations of existing character spirits (for ex. Mario Gulf super rush King Bob-omb). He's pretty much the face of spin offs and they have like 20+ yrs of mario spin offs to pull from.
It would be incredibly bizarre from a DLC standpoint though, and spin-offs are very well represented as far as spirits are concerned so they would have to reuse a lot of them I imagine
Not gatekeeping the choice but I feel like it's worth pointing out
don't make me say it
say what?

Last edited:

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
2010s tourney outta nowhere.

Last edited:

DittoInDisguise

Smash Apprentice
It would be incredibly bizarre from a DLC standpoint though, and spin-offs are very well represented as far as spirits are concerned so they would have to reuse a lot of them I imagine
Not gatekeeping the choice but I feel like it's worth pointing out
Maybe, but a cursory glance at the smash wiki suggests we only have 2 spirits from mario tennis (mario and luigi) and one from mario golf. Those two series alone have enough objects and characters to fill waluigi's spirit board quite nicely.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
2010s tourney outta no where.
2010s tourney confirmed!

So a chance our final fighter didn't originate from the 2010s..
Vice versa is also true, tbf
I think the most interesting thing about this is that Kazuya debuted in the 90s, so he can't participate in this tournament.

"Tournaments right after a new fighter releases are connected to the latest one" theory debunked.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
2010s tourney outta nowhere.
It's been a long time since the last one
Well, perhaps now we should be inclined to believe a post 2010 fighter wouldn't be that likely anymore? There seems to be a lot of people talking about the SMTV guy so just curious

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe, though Sonic Forces especially would fit the Second Chance theory.
Eh I still think "We could get another sonic rep because second chance" is more "i want one so sakurai does too" than anything else. You may not like Sonic's music/spirit selection, but it's still not as abysmal as FFVII in base's.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Eh I still think "We could get another sonic rep because second chance" is more "i want one so sakurai does too" than anything else. You may not like Sonic's music/spirit selection, but it's still not as abysmal as FFVII in base's.
That's true. And yeah, Sonic had always got nothing on Final Fantasy in terms of base game scarcity.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ya know
Someone else said it before as well
CP11 could be the one fighter that doesn't fit 2nd chance theory.

Despite that, it could ALSO be a series/character that we have NO idea actually fits the theory
I'll make up an example

Ubisoft
Nintendo wanted Ubisoft to get a fighter (say base game (not as much FP1)... Ubisoft themselves wanted Rayman, Nintendo wanted someone else (say. Ezio); no negotiation could be made.
However, Nintendo tries again with Ubisoft, and Ubisoft reluctantly agrees to work with Nintendo on Ezio

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think some people misunderstand the "second chance theory". The theory is about fighter who were considered for base game or past game but didn't make the cut. The theory isn't about missing content like Mario spin off spirits or some Sonic music. That doesn't mean that those characters have 0% chance, our last fighter doesn't need to follow the theory, but there was never any evidence that Shadow was planned for base game and got cut, or Waluigi.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I saw people discussing whether or not Heihachi was really ditched for the lack of Devil Gene, and I've been thinking about that a little. I'm still taking Sakurai's words at face value here; From the looks of it, he probably saw them as roughly equal in prominence and felt Kazuya could do most of what Heihachi could on top of the Devil Gene flair, and so he just opted for Kazuya over Heihachi based on that.

To be fair Kazuya isn't exactly in the same spot as the others. ARMS, XC2, and presumably Steve were planned for the base game (Granted, the given timeframe for when the talks started was around the end of SSB4's cycle, but I doubt they actually started going anywhere until a decent amount of time later). Heihachi was all the way back in Smash 4's base game, much earlier than the previous characters that fit Second Chance theory. Chances are the next fighter was someone considered for Smash 64 all this time and we never knew about it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know

despite him being Mii’d twice, I don’t think there’s ever been a Gil (Tower of Druaga) thread

anyone wanna make one? Feels bad he doesn’t have one

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Ya know
Someone else said it before as well
CP11 could be the one fighter that doesn't fit 2nd chance theory.

Despite that, it could ALSO be a series/character that we have NO idea actually fits the theory
I'll make up an example

Ubisoft
Nintendo wanted Ubisoft to get a fighter... Ubisoft themselves wanted Rayman, Nintendo wanted someone else (say. Ezio); no negotiation could be made.
However, Nintendo tries again with Ubisoft, and Ubisoft reluctantly agrees to work with Nintendo on Ezio
Considering there was no actual way to know Steve was planned, I've considered this outcome as well.

There's also the slight possibility it's an unrelated fanservicey character that got picked at the very end, but I'm not holding my breath,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom