• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faso115

Smash Lord
The only consistent pattern i noticed is that its an obvious character that the speculation community somehow doesn't have on their radar. Last three characters at least were like that.

Square enix? Definitely someone like Geno o Sora! Instead we get Sephiroth

Xenoblade 2? Rex is finally getting in! Oh they just added Pyra and Mythra, cool.

Tekken? Now that's when Heihachi makes his grand debut aaaaaaaaand we got Kazuya instead.

See what i mean? Its like we are so close yet so far. We only ever predicted Banjo and Steve lol

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The only consistent pattern i noticed is that its an obvious character that the speculation community somehow doesn't have on their radar. Last three characters at least were like that.

Xenoblade 2? Rex is finally getting in! Oh they just added Pyra and Mythra, cool.

Tekken? Now that's when Heihachi makes his grand debut aaaaaaaaand we got Kazuya instead.

See what i mean? Its like we are so close yet so far. We only ever predicted Banjo and Steve lol
And Hero.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
The phrase used to be "Smash always ends on a relatively low note", which of course it does, showing your best cards first to drive engagement is as basic as marketing gets.

Somewhere along the line people dropped the relatively keyword even though that completely changes the meaning, and not for the better. The final character being less exciting (sigh) than Steve is an absolute given, that doesn't mean it can't be Crash or Waluigi or... anyone.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And Hero.
Do we really count a character who got completely leaked though?

At the same time, there was a quite a few people suggesting Pythra as a dual fighter, it just wasn't seen as desirable as Al Weaver commiting war crimes on ear drums

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Can it can be agreed the last fighter could be anyone at this point? Because who would have ever expected Kazuya.

Whether its a low, mid, or high note 1st party of low, mid, or high note 3rd party.

For all we know it could even be Master Chief to end Ultimate on a big bang as he "Finishes the Fight".

Or just a Pokemon in general. That or Dixie Kong or Octoling.
Yeah, I’m glad Sakurai has been so unpredictable for this game. It’s a lot more fun for me to get a surprise than the same characters everyone has been predicting. I was originally pretty confident on Dixie but the red/pink background has already been used and there was no new DK game announced. I might as well throw all my chips on one of my dream characters (Battletoads) at this point. It’s funny to me that I actually think they have some things in their favor this time and I always assumed they were impossible.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Do we really count a character who got completely leaked though?

At the same time, there was a quite a few people suggesting Pythra as a dual fighter, it just wasn't seen as desirable as Al Weaver commiting war crimes on ear drums
Oh come on, Rex's voice actor was good in some cutscenes like this one.
It was more the voice direction than anything else with Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I just realized that SMT V protag is a blue-haired anime swordsman.

This is how ATLUS can get a second character.
He better get a canon name or a title like Demi-fiend that he can use because as it stands, the name used for official material atm is "Protag." Imagine naming a character like that, like Hero or something.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
He better get a canon name or a title like Demi-fiend that he can use because as it stands, the name used for official material atm is "Protag." Imagine naming a character like that, like Hero or something.
Apparently his title is "Nahobino," which is something along the lines of "Forbidden One." At least, that's what I'm remembering.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Um woah. That's a really late game cutscene. You might want to put a spoiler tag on it.

But yeah I think Rex's voice actor is fine, he just doesn't seem to be particularly good at yelling. It's also not entirely his fault in certain areas considering the part where they use his yell three times in the same scene.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The phrase used to be "Smash always ends on a relatively low note", which of course it does, showing your best cards first to drive engagement is as basic as marketing gets.

Somewhere along the line people dropped the relatively keyword even though that completely changes the meaning, and not for the better. The final character being less exciting (sigh) than Steve is an absolute given, that doesn't mean it can't be Crash or Waluigi or... anyone.
I think Kazuya would be a better reference now instead of Steve. I'd assume that they made him the E3 reveal thinking he would make more of a splash than Pyra and whoever F11 is.

Ivander

Smash Legend
View attachment 319519
Has this been brought up yet? It’d be sort of crazy if Capcom only gets an echo in Ultimate. They seem to be so easy to work with when it comes to crossovers, they’ll do anything lol
I think it really depends on what Sakurai wants. Considering "the character should be fun than just popular" as well as his personal choices like Terry. Like Capcom is definitely a gold mine for some great character choices, but the question is, does Sakurai want any of them over other potential characters he wants?

When the next Smash Bros. comes, I definitely see another Capcom character happening though.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, about that Capcom theory mentioned earlier, here's my theory on a potential Resident Evil rep for Ultimate:

Leon, Jill, Chris, and Wesker are out due to that Spirit Event.

Resident Evil Village characters are out due to releasing after FP2's announcement.

Most monsters are out due to their appearances being too grotesque; however, Nemesis can still be on the table due to having concept art where he's completely covered and masked. On the other hand, that appearance is not very recognizable (and most people won't figure out it's Nemesis without being told by either the game or another person), thereby reducing his chances (though not to absolute zero).

The next best option I can think of is Claire, since she was the other main player character in Resident Evil 2's Remake, which released before FP2's announcement.

Thoughts?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, keep on doing it until it works then. Even if it never does, its still better than being combative.

I'll put it this way, if you do things the way I said, you may eventually get a positive result, or at worst, you get a "neutral" one. Doing things the way you have been has only been getting you negative results clearly.

neutral is still better than negative.
But how the **** do I do that? One single card is stacked against me, so it's pointless to try and list things that could work in Isaac's favor.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Characters I’m throwing chips towards or whatever:

-Ezio
-Assasin‘s Creed is a big deal and Mii Costumes are now not directly blood in the water.

-Shantae
-I feel it’d be on that “oh hey that made sense a long time ago and we forgot why it shouldnt anymore“ scenario. Also if we’re talking loose ends from base game, the Shantae and Kinky Boots spirits could be seen as one.

-Paper Mario
-Recent-ish enough Switch presence to count as the future sight pick, which I think could be a factor when deciding CP11. Spirit Events are also on shakier ground and even then that Spirit Event added the bare minimum. Paper Mario representation could also be argued to be in that ARMS-y spot where it could be expanded upon in a challenger pack

-Off The Hook
-Splatoon 2 is very much in a weird spot, where it only has Spirits and arguably a stage. Still, it hasn’t really made its way to the Inkling moveset, for example. The Final Splatfest also came at July 2019 iirc, which could point towards exact timing shenanigans with regards to Fighter Pass 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Characters I’m throwing chips towards or whatever:

-Ezio
-Assasin‘s Creed is a big deal and Mii Costumes are now not directly blood in the water.

-Shantae
-I feel it’d be on that “oh hey that made sense a long time ago and we forgot why it shouldnt anymore“ scenario. Also if we’re talking loose ends from base game, the Shantae and Kinky Boots spirits could be seen as one.

-Paper Mario
-Recent-ish enough Switch presence to count as the future sight pick, which I think could be a factor when deciding CP11. Spirit Events are also on shakier ground and even then that Spirit Event added the bare minimum. Paper Mario representation could also be argued to be in that ARMS-y spot where it could be expanded upon in a challenger pack

-Off The Hook
-Splatoon 2 is very much in a weird spot, where it only has Spirits and arguably a stage. Still, it hasn’t really made its way to the Inkling moveset, for example. The Final Splatfest also came at July 2019 iirc, which could point towards exact timing shenanigans with regards to Fighter Pass 2.
Kinky Boots
I uh

I think u mean Risky Boots 😳

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It was more the voice direction than anything else with Xenoblade 2.
I'm always quick to blame direction over performances as you see good actors give ****ty performances because of the direction, some infamous cases I know of include making them deliberately stiff and slow so the 4 year olds can keep up with regular words which actively harms their careers if it's a debut role as agencies and **** will assume that's their average performance, but considering Smash has a lot of yelling, you gotta admit that what we got was significantly better than what we could have gotten, even if I feel Sky Bennette has some awkward deliveries
But how the **** do I do that? One single card is stacked against me, so it's pointless to try and list things that could work in Isaac's favor.
You're assuming people are hung up on ATs but I'm 90% the "YOUR CHARACTERS ARE A FALSE MESSIAH AND AREN'T HAPPENING, LIKE WHAT I LIKE, YOU HYPOCRITICAL CULTISTS" shtick nobody liked is why people don't want to give you the time of day when selling your faves, I especially remember one time people were talking about how cool Zero would be had he been playable instead of an AT and the next day you ranted about how AT promotions couldn't be talked about because all of us are fools blind to the truth or some ****

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Aside from Splatoon 3 announcement, did something happen that point towards Off the hook in Smash? I feel like they weren't that discussed before when I took a break from here and now they're brought up quite often.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Aside from Splatoon 3 announcement, did something happen that point towards Off the hook in Smash? I feel like they weren't that discussed before when I took a break from here and now they're brought up quite often.
Well, there were also people who claimed they could be a Loose-Ends pick due to Splatoon 2 being somewhat lacking in content.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s either them or Octoling. If Figure Theory can be taken verbatim (ergo, the last two fighters including Kazuya literally have figurines) and Amiibo don’t count it could seem to favor Off the Hook over Octoling

OTH did have a Figma release shortly before Pythra’s reveal iirc

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The biggest issue they had was Mii Costumes, Tekken had the Heihachi Mii Costume yet Kazuya happened in the same pass

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm always quick to blame direction over performances as you see good actors give *ty performances because of the direction, some infamous cases I know of include making them deliberately stiff and slow so the 4 year olds can keep up with regular words which actively harms their careers if it's a debut role as agencies and * will assume that's their average performance, but considering Smash has a lot of yelling, you gotta admit that what we got was significantly better than what we could have gotten, even if I feel Sky Bennette has some awkward deliveries
To be fair though, his voice clips for getting damaged aren't bad at all (probably because they aren't yells), and IMO, his Art calls are fine as well. He'd probably just have bad K.O. screams (particularly the Star K.O.) if anything.

The actual crime against ear drums would be Torra since all of his shouts can be grating on the ears after a while to the point where it's probably the sole reason why people find him obnoxious.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Okay, about that Capcom theory mentioned earlier, here's my theory on a potential Resident Evil rep for Ultimate:

Leon, Jill, Chris, and Wesker are out due to that Spirit Event.

Resident Evil Village characters are out due to releasing after FP2's announcement.

Most monsters are out due to their appearances being too grotesque; however, Nemesis can still be on the table due to having concept art where he's completely covered and masked. On the other hand, that appearance is not very recognizable (and most people won't figure out it's Nemesis without being told by either the game or another person), thereby reducing his chances (though not to absolute zero).

The next best option I can think of is Claire, since she was the other main player character in Resident Evil 2's Remake, which released before FP2's announcement.

Thoughts?
I have a hard time seeing Claire.

She's not the most popular classic character, and she isn't a very frequent character in terms of appearances in the series.

Chris is by far the classic RE character with more appearances, and Jill and Leon are the most popular ones. Claire doesn't really have anything that would really differentiate her from the others to justify her being our RE pick, like Kazuya over Heihachi.

I mean, I like Claire, and she's definitely popular with the fans, but I don't see it.

View attachment 319519
Has this been brought up yet? It’d be sort of crazy if Capcom only gets an echo in Ultimate. They seem to be so easy to work with when it comes to crossovers, they’ll do anything lol
I mean, it's indeed quite interesting. And Tekken getting a character means Capcom isn't that disconfirmed. I'd love if CP11 is a Capcom rep, but I'm still not sure. That would be so good to be true for me. I'm still with the feeling that the last fighter is first party.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Honestly, that could be applied to all of Ultimate's DLC lineup. Even Piranha Plant.

:ultpiranha:: A lot of people were against Bandana Dee and called him "Hat Goomba." What makes you think those same people would humor a literal piranha plant getting in?
:ultjoker:: Nintendo chose the DLC, and that somehow meant they would only pick characters to "shill" their games like Sylux and Poochy. Everyone was blindsided by Joker.
:ulthero:: Was leaked via the Brave datamine, but even then, there was some people who thought it could refer to a different Square character. The people in the Dragon Quest camp assumed we'd only get Erdrick. The Luminary as the default Hero, plus Erdrick, Four, and Eight tagging along threw everyone off.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Someone speculation actually got right. But I guess there was that Banjo vs Steve war with the Grotesque Steve model.
:ult_terry:: No one gave one iota to Terry until Nintendo ****ed up and accidentally leaked the SNK copyright.
:ultbyleth:: No one considered a Nintendo character because it went against the "Fighters Pass is all third-party" dogma. After listing off a bunch of third parties and being told no, people settled on Dante before getting angry at Byleth for "ruining" the hype.
:ultminmin: ARMS was deemed dead and buried because everyone assumed the first rep had to be Spring Man because he was "The Face of ARMS," but he got Assist Trophy'd. Some of them still insisted it had to be Spring Man, while Min Min was the fan favorite (and got in), ResetERA wanted Twintelle, and /v/ wanted Max Brass.
:ultsteve:: A "meme pick" that wasn't taken seriously. Thought to be dead after Banjo got in first.
:ultsephiroth:: Either people didn't think we'd get any more Square content because "they're stingy," people wanting a different FF protagonist, or Geno fans wanting Geno. All the Game Awards predictions saw the usual third parties with a hint of Jonsey sprinkled in.
:ultpyra:: Those same third parties that have been circle-jerked to death with special guest Dr. Eggman. "Pyra & Mythra? Rex is a Mii costume. It won't happen. Huh? Just Pyra & Mythra? Don't be ridiculous."
:ultkazuya: All talk for a Tekken rep was for either Heihachi and Jin. After Heihachi came back as a mii costume, Tekken was deemed unlikely to get a character because of the idea that "they wouldn't add a Tekken rep after the Heihachi mii costume. Why not just save the Heihachi mii for the Tekken reveal?" As for E3 itself, people were expecting a hype™ third party like Master Chief.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The biggest issue they had was Mii Costumes, Tekken had the Heihachi Mii Costume yet Kazuya happened in the same pass
Also, the Squid Sisters are an idol duo just like Off the Hook

like how both Heihachi and Kazuya are Mishimas

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I uh

I think u mean Risky Boots 😳
Nah that’s the name of that musical isn’t it?

I happened. I willed this into existence. (But yes, between “loose ends”, “recency pick“ and Mii Costumes being fair game all being seemingly relevant factors, Off The Hook got a bit of a boost thanks to Rie and I taking those factors and running with it)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, we're down to the wire, folks. One more character left then it's all over.

I do hope Capcom gets the character. Wether Dante or Phoenix Wright, Capcom deserves another rep.
Plot twist it's Gene from God Hand, the game worse than Imagine Party Babyz according to IGN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom