• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
So what would you rate the pass from 1-10 if Waluigi ended up being CP11 and this was the final lineup?

-Min Min
-Steve
-Sephiroth
-Pyra/Mythra
-Kazuya Mishima
-Waluigi
9/10 due majority of them either are cool or their games' OST I really like.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, in fact, I'd say Kaz was a good pick, due to being a great subversion nobody saw coming.
In retrospect of course - I can't claim to have believed Kazuya was coming before Heihachi - but I think Kazuya is honestly the pick with the greater pull for Sakurai because of the Devil Gene. He can bring over the Mishima style and then some, gives him a big ol' DLC gimmick to show off on top of the originality that Tekken combos / inputs in Smash already provide.

So now that I'm seeing it in action it doesn't shock me too much that they decided to opt for Kazuya instead, not just because he was more surprising. Honestly I don't think the shock factor is ever much of a variable unless we're talking characters like Duck Hunt or Piranha Plant. If Heihachi was overwhelmingly the right choice they would have picked him regardless, but Tekken does present three equally viable options.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
They probably didn't realize just how demanded Waluigi was for Smash when planning FP2, or didn't care, seeing as how these characters (or the games they're from) are ones Nintendo/Sakurai initially had ideas for before SSBU was revealed. They clearly didn't care when three other ATs got promoted before him.
I mean you could kind of apply this argument to any Assist that hasn't been made playable yet, including Isaac

And to be honest, I heavily doubt they didn't know Waluigi was in such demand, considering Reggie said he's talk to Sakurai about it. even then, Waluigi has always had some sort of demand pre-Smash Ultimate as well.

More likely because Kazuya was the protagonist of the first Tekken game.
I call bull on this being the main reason

Tekken 1 is a pioneer game, but the Most Popular games in the series (not including Tekken 7) are Tekken 3 (Especially Tekken 3) and Tekken 5, in which Jin was the protagonist. So I'd think Jin would have Kazuya beat in that Regard, especially since Kazuya was nowhere in Tekken 3

If we got a Tekken character in 2000's era, Jin would probably be the pick from that angle

Kazuya recently has been in the limelight more, thanks to Tekken 6 and Especially Tekken 7, where he gets his first W since Tekken 1.

I think the main reason though Kazuya might have gotten in was because he had the best moveset in Representing Tekken

-Heihachi doesn't have any Devil Gene in him, so he doesn't represent an important aspect of the Tekken Lore and Franchise

-Jin does have a Devil Form, but Current Jin and Devil Jin are way too different from each other, in that it would require 2 different movesets to represent both. You could go with Tekken 3 Jin since he uses the Mishima Style in that game, but that would go against Jin's character since he has a reason for not using the Mishima Style.

Kazuya represents the Mishima Fighting style, and his Devil Form is tied to just his Base moveset, instead of being a whole different moveset altogether, so it's easier to implement him

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't see Dante happening for one reason: the Gigaleak listed no new DMC content for the next four years.

Unless Sakurai really guns for Dante for some reason, I don't see why either Nintendo or Capcom would be interested in a series that is currently on ice when Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are right there.

I guess Mega Man, Simon/Richter, and Banjo and Kazooie were able to get past that, but they also had a ton of fan demand and a historical legacy with Nintendo to carry them. Dante doesn't have the latter and he really only gained the former after people assumed he'd be FP5 instead of Byleth, at which point Fighter's Pass 2 would have been finalized.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
God, that wasn't even about you
How was I supposed to know? In base SSBU speculation, I went "NO IT HAS TO BE LYCANROC" when people were debating on Decidueye vs. Incineroar and I still hung on to it for whatever reason during FP1, and you probably thought I had a hateboner for all third parties, so I assumed it was about me somehow.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't see Dante happening for one reason: the Gigaleak listed no new DMC content for the next four years.

Unless Sakurai really guns for Dante for some reason, I don't see why either Nintendo or Capcom would be interested in a series that is currently on ice when Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are right there.

I guess Mega Man, Simon/Richter, and Banjo and Kazooie were able to get past that, but they also had a ton of fan demand and a historical legacy with Nintendo to carry them. Dante doesn't have the latter and he really only gained the former after people assumed he'd be FP5 instead of Byleth, at which point Fighter's Pass 2 would have been finalized.
Dante's popularity did indeed skyroclet then, but I swear, people just seem to forget that Dante support had started growing significantly in 2018 due to the DMCV leak follow up and well, DMCV.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie with the Mii costumes being ruled out as deconfirmations, it'd be worth keeping an eye out on Frisk. A character many might not see coming.
As much as I'd love to believe in Undertale content, the furthest I'm willing to go with giving Mii Costumes leeway right now are the ones returning from Smash 4. If they went through the effort of negotiating a brand new series / character for Smash altogether then I think it's less practical to imagine they wouldn't have just cut to the full character part and added that content alongside it.

Everyone knew Heihachi's costume was gonna come back. Sans on the other hand, had he been absent from the Mii lineup nobody would have really batted an eye anyway. And with an extra music track in tow, something unique to Sans and Cuphead, it honestly makes the case for additional Undertale content even harder to sell. I'd like to be wrong but I don't think it applies to just any series with a costume.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly do not know enough about Tekken to really get into the legacy. Tekken and Virtual Fighter have both been around for a while and I remember playing the arcades. However, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter were such big fighting games in my area that they really overshadowed everything.

Mortal Kombat being the one that was probably the most popular due to the blood, unique characters, movies, other media, etc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They probably didn't realize just how demanded Waluigi was for Smash when planning FP2, or didn't care, seeing as how these characters (or the games they're from) are ones Nintendo/Sakurai initially had ideas for before SSBU was revealed. They clearly didn't care when three other ATs got promoted before him.

I'd be fine with that if they were more like that and less like "nope, can't happen period, only waluigi has a semblance of a chance of any at"
You pose a hypothetical, so it can't be disproven per-say, it can just be countered with a more likely hypothetical.

They did have the ballot data for Isaac and still made him an AT. And people were upset, but there was an even louder outcry about Waluigi several months earlier. Reggie acknowledged it, the WaPo for some reason wrote an article about it, etc. I think they probably didn't realize how demanded Waluigi was for Smash when planning base, and now they have the chance to rectify that. So I think if it'd be anyone, it'd be him.

There's very little evidence to corroborate the idea that it was only after FP2 that Nintendo learned of Waluigi's popularity as opposed to prior, so if they're going to go with popularity, it stands to reason they'd go with, y'know, the most popular choice. That's what they did for base. Who were the most popular first parties? Ridley and K. Rool. And who were the characters we got due to demand?

The alternative is to disregard the most popular, but that's a slippery slope of an argument considering someone could just invoke that against the second most popular as well. The reason people don't really buy into your argument is because, in essence, it's "popularity if the most popular was skipped".

And that's without even getting into the fact that, for a while now, Isaac is only second most popular among ATs, not in general, and the AT debacle itself.

I think the only thing that will turn the tide for Isaac, at this point, is a new GS. But that's going to have to be something a future Smash game contends with, not this one.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

DMC isn't really on ice when DMCV was a pretty big hit. The Gigaleak didn't get everything, including Ryu & Chun-Li in Fortnite and the Monster Hunter & Arthur Mii Costumes in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I honestly do not know enough about Tekken to really get into the legacy. Tekken and Virtual Fighter have both been around for a while and I remember playing the arcades. However, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter were such big fighting games in my area that they really overshadowed everything.

Mortal Kombat being the one that was probably the most popular due to the blood, unique characters, movies, other media, etc.
I'm pretty sure Tekken's in the top 3 best selling fighting game franchises of all time, beyond Smash and MK

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

It's well established at this point that the Gigaleak didn't have everything on top of the fact that Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't know the series might not be getting anything for a while (It just got a mobile game release that they plan to bring West btw so it's still active). Only Capcom would know that. In 2019, when Pass 2 was finalised, DMCV had just released and was a big hit and Capcom were porting over the older DMC titles, including making the Switch version of 3 the official definitive edition.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dante's popularity did indeed skyroclet then, but I swear, people just seem to forget that Dante support had started growing significantly in 2018 due to the DMCV leak follow up and well, DMCV.
That's cause it didn't amount to much until late 2019 when we started getting Switch ports, developer statements about Smash, fake leaks featuring Dante, and RE was eliminated from the discussion.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and now they have the chance to rectify that
But what characters are they choosing to revisit? Ones whose series lack enough content in Smash for a challenger pack to fill that. That's why I go with "popularity if the most popular was skipped".

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
All I'm gonna say is we haven't gotten a character for the sole reason of fan demand which has been in Smash DLC ever since Smash 4. I don't think they'd suddenly completely ignore the fans now just because "muh AT"

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
we haven't gotten a character for the sole reason of fan demand which has been in Smash DLC ever since Smash 4
Does Banjo-Kazooie not count? Fan demand would be a reason why they'd go with them if Sakurai still wasn't ready to make Steve.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Does Banjo-Kazooie not count? Fan demand would be a reason why they'd go with them if Sakurai still wasn't ready to make Steve.
I'm saying that it's in every DLC season, if we went through FP2 without a single character added due to fan demand it would be the first time they've ever done it.

Even Smash 4 had Lucas and Roy and Bayonetta who was supposedly the top choice after they ran a ballot, they have a history of listening to the fans.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Regarding Undertale, I’d like to mention it doesn’t have spirits while Cuphead does. Of course that likely doesn’t matter, but also, Toby Fox was in Japan sometime in 2019; I’m not sure when or for how long, but if it was in the summer like I think for whatever reason I can’t remember why, that’s when he would’ve met with Sakurai, and considering Imran Khan said FP2 was greenlit around E3 that year, I think it’s certainly possible we get Frisk or Papyrus as our final fighter.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Tekken's in the top 3 best selling fighting game franchises of all time, beyond Smash and MK
When did I say Tekken wasn't big? Also Street Fight was bigger in 1990s and 2000s when Arcades and early consoles were around and I played it. I would say Street Fighter is still the most iconic fighting game ever.

I never owned a Street Fighter title but still knew most of the characters and their abilities. That was how big SF was as a franchise.

Where I live, Street Fighter and MK dwarfed all other franchises. You can quote sales all day long but they 1. Don't account for arcade games and 2. Don't account for general hype or knowledge

This was why Ryu was added before a Tekken character to Smash for example.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
But what characters are they choosing to revisit? Ones whose series lack enough content in Smash for a challenger pack to fill that. That's why I go with "popularity if the most popular was skipped".
To give my thoughts on Isaac, I have to say

The character comes first before anything else. The character is the main selling point of the Challenger pack, So they make the Challenger pack around the character, not the other way around

While Isaac has way more missing content to fill a Challenger pack than Waluigi, if they feel Waluigi is the safer and perhaps more popular bet, they'd go with Waluigi in that case

Of course there is more to it than that, Stuff like moveset conception, the Franchise behind the character, and more. Mario has gotten 2 characters already in Smash Ultimate, so perhaps there could be more appeal in Isaac since Golden Sun hasn't gotten character

But Golden Sun is currently still in hiatus though, and that's still a big factor to consider. Banjo shows that you don't have to be relevant to be DLC, but you need other things in your favor to bypass the lack of relevancy (Plus at least Banjo has his games re-released on current system). Does Isaac have what it takes to bypass that and other hurdles, especially in comparison to other characters? possible, but I personally don't see it though, but keep the support up though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But what characters are they choosing to revisit? Ones whose series lack enough content for a challenger pack to fill that. That's why I go with "popularity if the most popular was skipped".
This is just reverse engineering reasons to choose Isaac. There are characters more popular than Isaac, we're disregarding those. There are characters with less content than GS has, we're disregarding those. The reasons people are looking past these arguments are because none apply best to Isaac. You have to actively overlook better fitting candidates to land on Isaac.

You want a character who was roughly as popular on the ballot, whose series has less content than Isaac, who is also an AT? Choose Shovel Knight. But the characters aren't choses on the basis of the supporting content they bring, they're chosen based on themselves, and the supporting content will then be designed to supplement them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
maybe in 2009

But between the late 90s and then, Tekken dominated the western fighting game scene just for being 3D, as we were still stuck in that "3D elitism" phase. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was only able to bypass that elitism with just how ****ing crazy everything in it was.

volbound1700

Smash Master
maybe in 2009

But between the late 90s and then, Tekken dominated the western fighting game scene just for being 3D, as we were still stuck in that "3D elitism" phase. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was only able to bypass that elitism with just how ****ing crazy everything in it was.
Not really. Take most documentaries from the time (such as High Score on Netflix) or the AVGN channel for example. They talk about Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter but not really any other fighting games.

Don't get me wrong, Tekken was big but it really hit later. It also wasn't that BIG in the United States just like Mortal Kombat wasn't big in Japan. I think it was one of the first 3D Fighters but by the time it came out, Arcades were just not as big as they once where (consoles started to take over). I also was not out playing arcades with friends.

I mean we are arguing semantics because Tekken is a HUGE franchise and deserves to be in Smash, but in my area, it was highly dwarfed by Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. I know, I LIVED then. This is why I was explaining that I am fairly ignorant of all the Tekken fighters. I remember playing the game as Heihachi but it didn't leave quite the impact as MK or SF in my life.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
When did I say Tekken wasn't big? Also Street Fight was bigger in 1990s and 2000s when Arcades and early consoles were around and I played it. I would say Street Fighter is still the most iconic fighting game ever.

I never owned a Street Fighter title but still knew most of the characters and their abilities. That was how big SF was as a franchise.

Where I live, Street Fighter and MK dwarfed all other franchises. You can quote sales all day long but they 1. Don't account for arcade games and 2. Don't account for general hype or knowledge

This was why Ryu was added before a Tekken character to Smash for example.
I mean, no offense, but you seem to be rather sheltered in gaming as a whole, Tekken didn't get it's legacy and sales overnight, it's been huge since the ps1 days and even to this day I know people who regularly play Tekken on the ps2. You come across as rather ignorant, trying to use arguments that were used against you in prior arguments not entirely understanding the actual argument. I personally knew of the likes of Kuma and King long before say, M.Bison and I was a Nintendo kid

7NATOR

Smash Master
Tekken is a Big Franchise, but I would say it's dominated in Pop culture by Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat (well except for Japan). The characters in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat pop out more than Tekken, and Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat had more popular media outside the games compared to Tekken

I'm saying that it's in every DLC season, if we went through FP2 without a single character added due to fan demand it would be the first time they've ever done it.

Even Smash 4 had Lucas and Roy and Bayonetta who was supposedly the top choice after they ran a ballot, they have a history of listening to the fans.
I mean to be fair, that's what Steve is for, since Steve was popular and fan demanded in the Casual Circles in Smash 4, and even got popular in Hardcore Smash Speculation for Ultimate

I'm guessing you mean that Fan demand is the main reason a character is in, which I guess I can get behind, since even if Steve wasn't a huge request, he'd still probably be in...maybe.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
I know that I’m late to the party, but overall, while I know nothing at all about Tekken, I’m down for Kazuya joining the roster.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There are characters more popular than Isaac, we're disregarding those
Should people have not speculated on Banjo, because Microsoft owns bigger franchises? Should we have waited until we have gotten a Tekken rep to get a Fatal Fury one, and then have the Tekken rep be Jin because he's on the box art more?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If a Mega Man X character were to get into the game, what would be you guys's must have fortress stage themes? Mega Man X's fortress stages tend to be like "lol let's kill the player" so I tended to quit on the first one, which means that I don't really know too many of them all that well.
That's a good question.

Some of my choices would be

Sigma Stage 1 from Mega Man X, I could see a very epic rock remix from this:

X-Hunter Stage 1 from Mega Man X2. A remix like this one would work perfectly IMO for Smash:

Final Weapon Stage 1 from Mega Man X4:

Zero Stage 2 from Mega Man X5, so we can have a techno party in Smash:

The leak doesn't have absolutely everything from Capcom in the next years. Not to say, AFAIK, not all of the data the hackers obtained was shared by them to the public.

And what they published didn't had Chun-Li and Ryu in Fortnite, for example. And that's a collab Capcom would absolutely give attention in their private documents.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean, no offense, but you seem to be rather sheltered in gaming as a whole, Tekken didn't get it's legacy and sales overnight, it's been huge since the ps1 days and even to this day I know people who regularly play Tekken on the ps2. You come across as rather ignorant, trying to use arguments that were used against you in prior arguments not entirely understanding the actual argument. I personally knew of the likes of Kuma and King long before say, M.Bison and I was a Nintendo kid
Then the people that made the Netflix series High Score or the AVGN must be sheltered regarding video games as well.

Don't get me wrong, I knew Tekken and it was a great game and is HUGE overall but no where on the level of MK or SF. This is why both franchises got movies, cartoons, toys, etc. and Tekken did NOT.

I even played Tekken, I just don't remember people being as into it as MK or SF.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Not really. Take most documentaries from the time (such as High Score on Netflix) or the AVGN channel for example. They talk about Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter but not really any other fighting games.

Don't get me wrong, Tekken was big but it really hit later. It also wasn't that BIG in the United States just like Mortal Kombat wasn't big in Japan. I think it was one of the first 3D Fighters but by the time it came out, Arcades were just not as big as they once where (consoles started to take over). I also was not out playing arcades with friends.

I mean we are arguing semantics because Tekken is a HUGE franchise and deserves to be in Smash, but in my area, it was highly dwarfed by Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. I know, I LIVED then. This is why I was explaining that I am fairly ignorant of all the Tekken fighters. I remember playing the game as Heihachi but it didn't leave quite the impact as MK or SF in my life.
I love Mortal Kombat, but the lack of popularity in Japan compared to other fighting games that do enjoy worldwide popularity really always was the true hurdle for a Smash appearance, not the blood and gore. It's a shame but it makes sense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If a Mega Man X character were to get into the game, what would be you guys's must have fortress stage themes? Mega Man X's fortress stages tend to be like "lol let's kill the player" so I tended to quit on the first one, which means that I don't really know too many of them all that well.
Trick question it's the intro stage from X1
Then the people that made the Netflix series High Score or the AVGN must be sheltered regarding video games as well.

Don't get me wrong, I knew Tekken and it was a great game and is HUGE overall but no where on the level of MK or SF. This is why both franchises got movies, cartoons, toys, etc. and Tekken did NOT.

I even played Tekken, I just don't remember people being as into it as MK or SF.
This is what I mean, Tekken has a ****ton of movies and figures last I checked, but you're claiming for a fact that they don't exist

volbound1700

Smash Master
I love Mortal Kombat, but the lack of popularity in Japan compared to other fighting games that do enjoy worldwide popularity really always was the true hurdle for a Smash appearance, not the blood and gore. It's a shame but it makes sense.
I agree. I am not even arguing that Tekken is undeserving or that Mortal Kombat should be in over Tekken. I do think that Tekken and NAMCO both deserved a spot and actually prefer this franchise over MK.

I was just explaining that I am mostly ignorant of the roster. I remember the game and Heihachi well (even before Smash) but MK and SF were just bigger in my area. That comment, somehow, sent everyone into meltdown mode because they cannot believe MK and SF was bigger in Nashville, Tennessee area in 1990s because of SALEs.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Tekken got all those things you listed.

Also, AVGN is one guy, and are you seriously sourcing Netflix as a reliable authority on video games?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Warning Issued

This is what I mean, Tekken has a ****ton of movies and figures last I checked, but you're claiming for a fact that they don't exist
NO, I never said that. Look over my posts and show me anything where I said that.

Dude, your just a no-life loser that likes to troll people on here.

I even said Tekken was a great pick and deserved a spot. Apparently you don't read.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Hold the phone
Decidueye makes sense

He fits green
His Arrows could be the reason we had that Dark Pit Needler style glitch

And Sakurai almost chose him over Incineroar…
Well he’s now one of my top predictions for CP11 lol

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
NO, I never said that. Look over my posts and show me anything where I said that.
She literally quoted where you said it

Apparently you don't even know what you're saying

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I even said Tekken was a great pick and deserved a spot. Apparently you don't read.
Perhaps you should take your own advice?
This is why both franchises got movies, cartoons, toys, etc. and Tekken did NOT.
Idk, a feel that instantly resorting to insults when merely corrected says more about you than it does me. Call me when you grow out of this habit, it's unsightly

7NATOR

Smash Master
Should people have not speculated on Banjo, because Microsoft owns bigger franchises? Should we have waited until we have gotten a Tekken rep to get a Fatal Fury one, and then have the Tekken rep be Jin because he's on the box art more?
I think he means that your Ignoring other characters that have similar merits to Isaac, or even better ones

Isaac is a Popular character, but he isn't the only one though. Among Assist Characters, besides Waluigi, you got Shadow, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Skull Kid, etc

Among other Nintendo characters, there is Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Another Zelda character

Isaac isn't exclusive in the reasons he would be chosen for. Now of course that doesn't mean he wouldn't be chosen, It's just that there are other characters to factor, but only one slot left

I think that is what Gwen means. That is factually untrue that Tekken never got movies and toys and such. I will say that I don't think they were as popular as Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat in this regard, but there were there.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's a good question.
I automatically read this in Dr. Light's voice. lol

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably add the Zero one to the list since it's for a hypothetical Zero pack.

EDIT: Also I forgot how good X Hunter Stage 1 was. My brain probably tried to forget about it because of the stupid wall crush gimmick.

That one's already in the game actually. Since it would also 100% be the stage I also put the original on my hypothetical tracklist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom