• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I have a hard time seeing Claire.

She's not the most popular classic character, and she isn't a very frequent character in terms of appearances in the series.

Chris is by far the classic RE character with more appearances, and Jill and Leon are the most popular ones. Claire doesn't really have anything that would really differentiate her from the others to justify her being our RE pick, like Kazuya over Heihachi.

I mean, I like Claire, and she's definitely popular with the fans, but I don't see it.
You raise some good points. Any other RE characters you see as possible?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey what’s that obscure ass Capcom GameCube game with a female protagonist that she kinda fights like Bayonetta

whatever her name is and what game she’s from

its her. You heard it here first

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hey what’s that obscure ass Capcom GameCube game with a female protagonist that she kinda fights like Bayonetta

You talking about Vanessa from P.N.03?

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

P.N.03 and I believe the character was Vanessa Schneider or something like that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
people are hung up on ATs
Yes, they are. I can list things like Smash lacking enough GS content for a challenger pack, ballot demand, Smash not ending on the highest note, but that won't matter because assist.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
So what would you rate the pass from 1-10 if Waluigi ended up being CP11 and this was the final lineup?

-Min Min
-Steve
-Sephiroth
-Pyra/Mythra
-Kazuya Mishima
-Waluigi

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well since costumes mean frick all uh... Goth Rabbid for Smash??? I don't know anymore.
Well listen, it took until the second last character for the perspective to shift on this. I know when people think a "rule" is dead they overcompensate by thinking all these future additions will fly directly in its face, but that's not how it goes. The change is gradual. We haven't received a bunch of other third-parties from existing series since Sephiroth. Third-parties were first added in Brawl, but it took until 4's DLC for them to become an actual common occurrence.

Chances are Tekken very well might be the only instance of this happening this game, with FP11 business as usual: a series without current DLC costumes.

I'd just like to mention that we still don't have a Swordsman Tournament.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yes, they are. I can list things like Smash lacking enough GS content for a challenger pack, ballot demand, Smash not ending on the highest note, but that won't matter because assist.
You're complaining about a small group of people again.
A group of people that many in this thread have argued against in regards to their stance on Assists no less.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This one review is often considered to be the reason the game flopped, don't know how true that is but it's easily the most wellknown thing about the game
Huh.

Well I only know about God Hand from The Quarter Guy so I can't really speak to its quality, but I hope the game wasn't killed by people looking at a review from a game with a very "uninspired corporate garbage" looking boxart and then at God Hand's review and going "well I guess God Hand is super garbage then".

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Since we're back on that Assist Trophy debate again, I'll also say, once again, that I wish Sakurai would just spill the damn beans on whether or not ATs can be promoted within the same game. >_<

Edit: On the other hand, that'd give us speculators even less to talk about while waiting for CP11, as well as more info on Kazuya.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
actually i think isaac would be cool but sadly cp11 will be someone everybody hates ever so :/ it can‘t be someone cool :/

Okay, but Isaac actually fits Loose Ends Theory pretty well, since Golden Sun does have a weird amount of Sprits for an Assist Trophy. Personally I do lean towards the notion that CP11 will capitalize off of the two-year gap between conception and release with a leap of faith pick like Corrin, but if not I do think Isaac is in a decent position to make at least theorycraft of based on “What If’s”. But I will always, always make fun of Nelson for thinking Golden Sun Isaac is a dark horse in the community. Out of all the characters, out of all the series that you could self-victimize for liking, you picked the ballot behemoth and base game bombshell to think that recalcitrant rockblocking of any decent discussion is the way to go.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Out of those, only ballot demand is an actual argument.

There is no shortage of characters who can come with a full challenger pack and "Smash doesn't end on a high note" doesn't scream "long-requested hardcore fanbase pick" to me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Smash doesn't end on a high note" doesn't scream "long-requested hardcore fanbase pick" to me.
It does in the sense that the Smash fanbase is trying to move beyond them, only to get one anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're complaining about a small group of people again.
A group of people that many in this thread have argued against in regards to their stance on Assists no less.
It's not even a group, I've only ever seen 2 people be against AT promotions and one of them doesn't even go on this thread
Lmao deliberately ignoring the actual issue doesn't help, keep insulting people for daring to say "I'd like Isaac but I don't think he has a chance" and ****, it's clearly working out great for you

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
For real like, every character has arguments against them, some hold more weight than others and people will bring them up as part of the discussion around the character being discussed.

If you're gonna whine that people have counter arguments against your most wanted then this isn't the thread for you

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't see why they'd choose Isaac over Waluigi anyway, Isaac would only get in based on popularity, but the latter is significantly more popular when you look past the most dedicated Smash circles. The only factor that would change things is if there was a new GS game coming - but there's isn't one within the timeframe of FP2 selection, at least.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
You raise some good points. Any other RE characters you see as possible?
Honestly, nope.

Nemesis or Mr. X wouldn't probably make it either because of their grotesque designs, specially in Nemesis' case, or because they're just (iconic) enemies from just one entry. Personally I think that considering how Smash usually treats third party reps, no way we would get Nemesis, Mr. X or Lady Dimitrescu over Leon, Jill or Chris.

The only one I could see would be Wesker, and while he's cool, I don't think he's the best way to rep Resident Evil at all. Specially because I assume a RE character would bring, in some form, a survival horror feeling/mechanic with them. Wesker wouldn't be able to do that, he would "just" be an anime character with teleports and other shenanigans lmao, which obviously doesn't capture what the classic RE games are about.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If and I mean IF we do get an assist promotion. It's gonna be either Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac. Heavily leaning towards Waluigi for obvious reasons.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In a surprise plot twist the Assist promotion is Ashley

would be interesting if that happened

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't see why they'd choose Isaac over Waluigi anyway, Isaac would only get in based on popularity, but the latter is significantly more popular when you look past the most dedicated Smash circles. The only factor that would change things is if there was a new GS game coming - but there's isn't one within the timeframe of FP2 selection, at least.
They probably didn't realize just how demanded Waluigi was for Smash when planning FP2, or didn't care, seeing as how these characters (or the games they're from) are ones Nintendo/Sakurai initially had ideas for before SSBU was revealed. They clearly didn't care when three other ATs got promoted before him.
I'd like Isaac but I don't think he has a chance
I'd be fine with that if they were more like that and less like "nope, can't happen period, only waluigi has a semblance of a chance of any at"

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I suspect Harada is the reason the Heihachi Mii Costume came out earlier in FP2, before we got Kazuya

He probably knew that it be too obvious if the Heihachi Mii costume was missing for long time, so he advised Sakurai and the Team to put it earlier. I've seen this idea thrown around and even knew that Harada is kind of trolly person, but Most of us still got thrown for a loop. Harada won, but I guess it's a good thing because it wouldn't be as much of a surprise

Could perhaps be similiar cases with other Mii Costumes

Here’s my thoughts on speculation going forward:

The biggest winners of Kazuya are to me, series or companies that already had Mii Costumes in the DLC. To me, the biggest benefactors are the following series and companies:

-Ubisoft had that whole Byleth situation. It’s possible that they settled for Mii Costumes in FP1, but are coming back with a character in FP2 now that we know that Heihachi wasn’t ”saved“ to return later. It’s a decent enough plausible deniability to give Ezio or Ray-Man a fighting chance, especially with the base game Ray-Man Spirits possibly fitting a second chance theory as well.
-Capcom I think is back on the table, although it probably won’t be Monster Hunter. It‘s very possible the costumes were a “strike while the iron’s hot” type of deal, and that the Capcom character is still coming up.
-Zelda is back in a position to not be hampered by the FP2 bonus costume.
-Splatoon doesn’t have to worry about Callie & Marie either.

Some other thing to take into consideration is the status of Spirit Events. Their deconfirmatory status was based on the similar premise of “saving” the Spirits for the Spirit Board, I don’t think Spirit Events are a particularly “hard“ deconfirm anymore.
Some Spirit events to keep in mind:

-Pokémon. The Pokémon Spirit Event was released for the launch of SwSh iirc. Since then, it’s gotten DLC and probably five new series of anime.

-Paper Mario: The Spirit Event that didn’t even include Paper Mario himself. Plus, Paper Mario is much more than Origami King and Paper Mario and in terms of content, we’re missing a good amount of partners for example.

-Astral Chain, Ring Fit and Resident Evil could happen but eh, you know.

I still think the biggest winners however, are characters that recently had a game come out. Corrin was very much picked at the end of his DLC run for this purpose, and I’d scratch my head if they planned a fighter’s pass that ended two years from the time where they decided on the characters, without using a slot for something on the horizon like at least the Smash 4 DLC deliberately aimed to, and what was possibly the driving force behind Byleth as well.
I'd actually add Undertale to your List. The Lack of Spirit event, despite the other popular Indie (Cuphead) getting a Spirit event looks extra suspicious now that we know Mii Costumes from franchise doesn't deconfirm characters from that Franchise

On that note, I also will say that if we don't get any Indie Costumes in Kazuya's Pack well...it might be kind of suspicious a little bit to be honest

Nah, Dante is the last character for FP2 and the bonus fighter is Vergil, because Vergil wouldn't add any new content and an FP3 seems extremely unlikely.
Vergil is an Iconic and popular part of DMC, uses Similar Model to Dante, and besides his Yamato moveset and Summon Swords, has similar moves to Dante

So Especially if Dante were to use more weapons than just Rebellion and Ebony and Ivory, I could see Vergil being developed along with Dante. Honestly despite Shadow being my Most wanted, this might be the other Closet option to a Most wanted that's not Goku because I Like Dante, and I really like Vergil and prefer him, so if we got both that's a win/win

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If a Mega Man X character were to get into the game, what would be you guys's must have fortress stage themes? Mega Man X's fortress stages tend to be like "lol let's kill the player" so I tended to quit on the first one, which means that I don't really know too many of them all that well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Out of those, only ballot demand is an actual argument.

There is no shortage of characters who can come with a full challenger pack and "Smash doesn't end on a high note" doesn't scream "long-requested hardcore fanbase pick" to me.
Ok but if I like they're an underdog, especially compared to those undeserving third parties like Terry stealing all the spotlight from poor Lycanroc who nobody even knew of when their game came out

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Watch as we also get Itsuki Aoi or even Tsubasa Oribe as the last fighter tho

our only TMS content is a spirit of the latter. No music, no stage, nothing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ok but if I like they're an underdog, especially compared to those undeserving third parties like Terry stealing all the spotlight from poor Lycanroc who nobody even knew of when their game came out
Except I did want Terry and Lycanroc was mainly my plan B for when Mimikyu was Poke Ball'd and people moved on from it because Pokemon fans are submissive like that.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On the Undertale thing, this Twitter post made me see it actually
Not gonna lie with the Mii costumes being ruled out as deconfirmations, it'd be worth keeping an eye out on Frisk. A character many might not see coming.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Except I did want Terry and Lycanroc was mainly my plan B for when Mimikyu was Poke Ball'd and people moved on from it because Pokemon fans are submissive like that.
God, that wasn't even about you but you still felt the need to **** on Pokemon fans, that'll make them want to hear you talk about why you like Isaac so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom