• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't know if this is related, but did anyone post this?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Excuse me sir, but I believe you’ve been punk’d. At least I hope so. Because if all the new Nintendo Switch model has to offer is a fancy hat on the right Joycon imma be annoyed.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
While it's true that Smash generally ends on a whimper, this doesn't take into account that Smash DLC before hasn't ended with an E3 reveal either.

If you're making a prediction based on the pattern that since Smash has always ended on low-key characters, we will end on a low-key character for FP2, then likewise by the same logic you could make a prediction based on the pattern that E3 has always had an at least somewhat exciting character, therefore an exciting character will be revealed at E3 2021.

With that said, I personally don't think we have 2 huge third parties left either. However I think it's a fair assumption that E3 will bring out at least one "Hype" character. Now hype is subjective, but Nintendo is at least somewhat aware of fan demand. There's a reason why Ridley was the E3 2018 reveal and not Incineroar. There's also a reason why Hero and Banjo were revealed at E3 2019 and not Terry and Byleth. Regardless of how you feel about these characters, I think it's undeniable Banjo had a much bigger impact on social media than Byleth.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Quite the opposite actually. Given how they've ordered their reveals for pretty much every lineup of new characters so far, I'm expecting the milder reveals to be shown now, even if it is E3. I'm sure the bigger of the two will be our E3 reveal, but after Steve and Sephiroth, I can't say I'm confident that they'd have something equally as big in store for us.
I understand this and I agree with it. I really doubt we'll get someone as big as Steve or Sephiroth. But... I kinda think that doesn't change things that much? I think there are enough decently popular characters that could be our E3 reveal that aren't necesarilly as big as the other 2. I'd argue Dante or Hayabusa for example would fit that: popular fighters but not as big and probably not as expensive as Steve or Sephiroth.

The only names I'd discard if we're not getting names as big as Steve and Sephiroth would be Sora, Crash and Master Chief. After that there are still popular characters out there, maybe not as big as the other ones, but still popular.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alright... this is the best I will ever have it, so I'm gonna leave my case for Digimon at this, and try to focus on other cool franchises; because we are getting two more characters, after all.

Larger here:
So I march my way down to Sakurai at Bandai Namco and knock on his door and I go Sakuraaaiiiiii Sakuraaaaiiiii, I gotta talk to you about Digimon! And what do I find? There's not a single desk in that office. There is no Sakurai at Bandai Namco!

Chick-a chick-aaahhhh

Commendable effort making this though

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This week's spirit event...

Men (and women) with hats
Curious that this is the last "spirit event" week before E3 and this spirit event isn't promoting the VERY recently released Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster!

tai computer.jpg

DON'T YOU ALL SEE? ALL THE SIGNS ARE POINTED TO AN SMT E3 REVEAL.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Jesuschrist, you people and your underwater combat conversation...I can't believe how many of you support trying to add the worst part of every game into Smash.

if we do only get one character at E3 after all, how do you think your expectations would change moving forward into the final character?
I predict people will stop predicting the character that was announced at E3.

I believe the studio behind Dishonored has another game they've already announced that they're working on right now.
Deathloop.

Basically "What if Dishonored, but also Majora's Mask."

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Twilord

Smash Ace
So I march my way down to Sakurai at Bandai Namco and knock on his door and I go Sakuraaaiiiiii Sakuraaaaiiiii, I gotta talk to you about Digimon! And what do I find? There's not a single desk in that office. There is no Sakurai at Bandai Namco!

Chick-a chick-aaahhhh
I deserved that and appreciate it.

Curious that this is the last week before E3 and this spirit event isn't promoting the VERY recently released Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster!

View attachment 317461

Between that theory and that photo I am I just picturing Sakurai dissecting the history of V-Pets and Mon-Collection back to back and just stopping every five minutes to go: "Which is where Pokémon got that idea."

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Jesuschrist, you people and your underwater combat conversation...I can't believe how many of you support trying to add the worst part of every game into Smash.

I predict people will stop predicting the character that was announced at E3.

Deathloop.

Basically "What if Dishonored, but also Majora's Mask."
I don’t really see the harm in adding a few fun and gimmicky stages not intended for competitive play. We have a ton of stages already so I think it could be fun to get some wacky ones like that here and there.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Jeez... things are getting kind of pessimistic on here huh? I suppose that's to be expected.

Regardless of what characters we end up seeing, I think this will be a memorable E3. Personally I'm glad that speculation will be ending this year. Then we can just kick back and enjoy the game. I'm really hoping offline tournaments will come back this year too.

Twilord

Smash Ace
What would be a ridiculously fun "Anti Competitive" character?

Like Clefairy whose every special was a directional Metronome that used someone else's directional special at random?

Or a Numamon who would temporarily evolve into Digimon reskins of as many fighters the game could handle? (Essentially a living "random" button)

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Beyond the two dlc characters, I'm really curious to see what (if anything) they have planned for ultimate on the new Switch.

I don't see them passing up on the chance to output smash at a higher res. But I also don't see them giving out a free update for it to accomplish that (like Xbox did with their "series x enchanced" thing)

What I definitely don't see is sakurai willingly allowing Nintendo to resell his game full price without anything new but the 4k experience and a full roster.

It'll be an unprecedented step for this community. One thing for sure is, if they do something with ultimate on the new Switch, I don't see speculation talk drying up this go around. Not quite yet.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Beyond the two dlc characters, I'm really curious to see what (if anything) they have planned for ultimate on the new Switch.

I don't see them passing up on the chance to output smash at a higher res. But I also don't see them giving out a free update for it to accomplish that (like Xbox did with their "series x enchanced" thing)

What I definitely don't see is sakurai willingly allowing Nintendo to resell his game full price without anything new but the 4k experience and a full roster.

It'll be an unprecedented step for this community. One thing for sure is, if they do something with ultimate on the new Switch, I don't see speculation talk drying up this go around. Not quite yet.
I’m curious as to why you don’t see them giving out a free update for the upres when that is the basic practice for every developer under the sun not named EA. That includes Sony and Activision and more money hungry developers so I’m surprised you think Nintendo wouldn’t follow suit.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
While it's true that Smash generally ends on a whimper, this doesn't take into account that Smash DLC before hasn't ended with an E3 reveal either.

If you're making a prediction based on the pattern that since Smash has always ended on low-key characters, we will end on a low-key character for FP2, then likewise by the same logic you could make a prediction based on the pattern that E3 has always had an at least somewhat exciting character, therefore an exciting character will be revealed at E3 2021.

With that said, I personally don't think we have 2 huge third parties left either. However I think it's a fair assumption that E3 will bring out at least one "Hype" character. Now hype is subjective, but Nintendo is at least somewhat aware of fan demand. There's a reason why Ridley was the E3 2018 reveal and not Incineroar. There's also a reason why Hero and Banjo were revealed at E3 2019 and not Terry and Byleth. Regardless of how you feel about these characters, I think it's undeniable Banjo had a much bigger impact on social media than Byleth.
Is there are rumor going around that the final character reveal will end on a whimper?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Is there are rumor going around that the final character reveal will end on a whimper?
No it’s a pattern for the Smash Franchise to end on a dull note. At least what most people consider a dull note. Olimar, Shulk, Corrin/Bayonetta, and Kencineroar is what people point to but I was pretty damn hyped for Ken, Shulk, and Bayonetta so I’m not a part of that group.

But it is true that the only thing we’ve gotten close to getting an internet breaker for the last character is Bayo and that’s not quite an internet breaker like say Cloud was 2 characters prior.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

And then both of those patterns have a brick thrown at them due to the pandemic! Doesn't help that Nintendo REFUSES to specify exactly how the pandemic affected them. So basically we're rolling dice on E3 here and we should start a gambling pool.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hm. Apparently a Nintendo museum is in development.
I already got some great music for it.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I want to say Scorpion or Sub-Zero would come pretty close as well but maybe I’m overestimating Mortal Kombat’s popularity.
Scorpion would probably top even Sora and Master Chief at this point in terms of shock value and breaking the internet. We’re at a point where the likes of Chief is a front runner interestingly enough. Scorpion is viewed as impossible by many just like Cloud was back in the day. Definitely would be a great reveal.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I will say the last characters for each "cycle" has been a unique situation and we have never ended on an E3 before.

Also Hype is subjective and all of that.
I mean, they can always put only kne reveal to E3.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
No it’s a pattern for the Smash Franchise to end on a dull note. At least what most people consider a dull note. Olimar, Shulk, Corrin/Bayonetta, and Kencineroar is what people point to but I was pretty damn hyped for Ken, Shulk, and Bayonetta so I’m not a part of that group.

But it is true that the only thing we’ve gotten close to getting an internet breaker for the last character is Bayo and that’s not quite an internet breaker like say Cloud was 2 characters prior.
Gotcha. As of now the only character that I would see ending on a dull note you be a Pokemon from Sword/Shield.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I’m curious as to why you don’t see them giving out a free update for the upres when that is the basic practice for every developer under the sun not named EA. That includes Sony and Activision and more money hungry developers so I’m surprised you think Nintendo wouldn’t follow suit.
I mean, to be fair, when does Nintendo ever follow suit? Especially when it comes to software? It's possible I'm wrong in my assumptions. But Nintendos always gotta be different, and hasn't been particularly consumer friendly in recent years 🤷‍♂️

It just wouldn't surprise me to see them try to capitalize on the situation.

Scorpion would probably top even Sora and Master Chief at this point in terms of shock value and breaking the internet. We’re at a point where the likes of Chief is a front runner interestingly enough. Scorpion is viewed as impossible by many just like Cloud was back in the day. Definitely would be a great reveal.
I gotta disagree here, not just on my Chiefy bias but even for Sora. Even if it's a fan favorite, it's still about the weight that character carries, not necessarily about pure shock value. I'd even put Crash above any MK character. Sure some people would count the goriness of the series as a strike against their chances, but I don't think it's common speculation that they'd never make it. Else I don't think you'd have been seeing the pull for Doom, pre-microsoft buyout.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Curious that this is the last "spirit event" week before E3 and this spirit event isn't promoting the VERY recently released Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne HD Remaster!

View attachment 317461

I cannot believe you're getting dangerously close to winning when the last time waS SMTV showing it still existed despite no gameplay footage

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean, to be fair, when does Nintendo ever follow suit? Especially when it comes to software? It's possible I'm wrong in my assumptions. But Nintendos always gotta be different, and hasn't been particularly consumer friendly in recent years 🤷‍♂️

They helped Microsoft lead the charge and back Sony into a corner on Crossplay.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Right but it's based on the aggregate sentiment, not individual opinion. Even Nintendo has some cognizance of who is big and who may not rock the boat quite as much; it's no coincidence that every E3 so far has been stacked with a megaton. If the trend holds true and the final character is somewhat anticlimactic, obviously there will still be people who are happy to see them.

Mmm. The problem is that most of the internet doesn't view him with the extra layer of unlikeliness as we do because they don't know about their lack of presence in Japan. It would be shocking and unexpected on the grounds of MK being everything Nintendo isn't about, but I'm not sure that itself will carry it past the two heavies that are Sora and Chief.

But it's also not Nintendo's MO to nickel and dime people. They have a lot of faults, but that's not one. I mean they have paid DLC and paid online now as other companies do, but they also release quite a substantial bit of free DLC, like for AC, Splatoon, ARMS, Kirby, even Smash got free modes. They also don't do microtranscations, outside their mobile stuff - which even that they seemed resistant to.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
"Breaking the internet" doesn't just mean being unexpected. It means being a huge deal. Scorpion might be more unexpected, but Sora is a MUCH bigger deal.

Lere, not just on my Chiefy bias but even for Sora. Even if it's a fan favorite, it's still about the weight that character carries, not necessarily about pure shock value. I'd even put Crash above any MK character. Sure some people would count the goriness of the series as a strike against their chances, but I don't think it's common speculation that they'd never make it. Else I don't think you'd have been seeing the pull for Doom, pre-microsoft buyout.
Scorpion or another MK getting in Smash would be the first time the series has crossed over with Street Fighter. I think that alone makes his inclusion just as big of a deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom