• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Porky Means Business!
Octoling Claims Their Turf!
Hat Kid Arrives in Time!
Madeline Scales the Mount! (alternatively, “Madeline Climbs to the Top!”)

Yes I know all of these are long shots leave me alone.
oh man i was overthinking Porky, your answer feels super obvious in hindsight
have we ever had one with an unconventional format? I'm thinking "The power of Smash shines within the Heroes of Light" or something

Krystal leads the Assault!
Revali's Gale is Now Ready!/Mipha's Grace is Now Ready!/etc etc

if he's the last fighter, Tabuu Sees us Off!

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So with two weeks left. What's everyone's current predictions on the last two?

Still the same for me.

CP10: Swordfighter character (Adol Christin, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin, Gran/Djeeta, Euden, Nightmare, Yuri Lowell, etc.)
CP11: Master Chief

Still banking on a double reveal.
My current thoughts:

CP10: Crash Bandicoot
CP11: Astral Chain Protagonist

Crash still just seems to have a lot going for him. Even putting my bias aside (if that's possible lol) he still just seems to be the most likely E3 reveal to me.

I know we already had an Astral Chain spirit event, but that was likely before they acquired the rights to the series. They may very well just want to show off their shiny new toy.

I know we'll get at least one "E3 character", but after that I have no idea. I think it's safe to go with a 1st party character from a recent game like how they've been ending reveal cycles in the past.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
what if tabuu is the free "bonus character"?

My current thoughts:

CP10: Crash Bandicoot
CP11: Astral Chain Protagonist

Crash still just seems to have a lot going for him. Even putting my bias (if that's possible lol) aside he still just seems to be the most likely E3 reveal to me.

I know we already had an Astral Chain spirit event, but that was likely before they acquired the rights to the series. They may very well just want to show off their shiny new toy.
honestly my money is on a LM3 character, its literally the only 1st party release that didn't get a spirit event and the anniversary is coming up. crash feels possible as a western e3 reveal too

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
what if tabuu is the free "bonus character"?
He’d break the meta and it’d be Smash 4 Bayonetta levels of meta salt all over again :secretkpop:

would be neat if the final one was the bonus and also a character created specifically for Smash tho ngl

also, don’t double post. Use the edit button instead. :)

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
He’d break the meta and it’d be Smash 4 Bayonetta levels of meta salt all over again :secretkpop:

would be neat if the final one was the bonus and also a character created specifically for Smash tho ngl

That would be ironic in a sense, given that his spirit battle in Ultimate is Bayonetta.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Let's have some fun..
Come up with splash screen taglines, either for your MWs or for E3-potentials

I'll start:
Doomslayer Unleashes Hell!
Crash Comes to Smash!
Ahri Joins the Smash League!
Tracer brings the cavalry!
Dixie Kong Twirls the competition!
Phoenix Wright Takes the Case!
Sora Unlocks the Path!
Impa Sneaks in!
Chun-Li Electrifies the Smash!
Yuri Lowell Cuts in!
Jill shows you STARS!
Leon starts his misson!
Arle pops into the fight!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aight, final DLC emote predictions, post em and see which ones come out correct

:ultreimu:
:ultoctoling:
:ultoctolingboy:
:ultahri:
:ultjinx:
:ultkos-mos:
:ultt-elos:
:ultcrash:

And just in case even though I’ve given up hope of them appearing specifically in Ultimate:
:ultneku:
:ultblackshadow:
:ultelma:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I've honestly gotten everyone I could reasonably expect (a Splatoon rep and a second Xenoblade rep)... except for possibly Agumon.

I simultaneous feel like they are guaranteed and might have completely slipped under the radio.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Since when could Chun-Li use electric attacks? Wouldn't that fit Blanka more?

As an alternative for Chun-Li, I'd say: Chun-Li Kickstarts the Battle.
Lightning Kick is the name of one her moves, but yeah, it's about the speed, not the element. She's not associated with electricity. Now, kicking in general. I like the kickstarter one~

Technomage

Smash Champion
Lightning Kick is the name of one her moves, but yeah, it's about the speed, not the element. She's not associated with electricity. Now, kicking in general. I like the kickstarter one~
Also, I did consider having her line be "Chun-Li Kickstarts the Heart," but would Ninty have to pay Motley Crue for the reference?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Re: taglines

if the LoL rep is Jinx and her tag line isn’t “Jinx Jinxes the Competition” I will go full Karen and ask to speak to Sakurai’s manager

...that sounded a lot funnier in my head. 😥

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don’t understand why Crash and Waluigi fans are so at odds with each other. At least on GameFAQs, I see a ton of fights between fans of each character. It seems like they should appeal to a similar demographic being wacky, colorful characters that are at least somewhat related to platformers (Waluigi hasn’t actually been in a platformer to my knowledge but is a Mario character). Neither are among my most wanted but I don’t really have a problem with either getting in.
I didn't even know this was a thing... lol It's not like they're competing really. People need to relax.

SKX31

Smash Master

So what you're saying is that Tabuu wouls have exclusive returning tech like hitstun / momentum cancelling, DACUS and glide tossing (just like wavedashing returned in Ultimate albeit majorly nerfed)?

Whelp, no one would be able to KO the blue man pre-150 %, he'd be able to slide all over the damn place and abuse itemplay like a madman. Just pray that he tri-gets shot. :4pacman:

Let's have some fun..
Come up with splash screen taglines, either for your MWs or for E3-potentials

I'll start:
Doomslayer Unleashes Hell!
Crash Comes to Smash!
Ahri Joins the Smash League!
Tracer brings the cavalry!
Morphling enters the floodstage! / Lina brings the heat!! / Invoker causes a Cataclysm!
Master Chief arrives on a new stage! ("Finishes the Fight" is 100 % going to be it in this hypotheoretical, but wanted something else)
KOS MOS reactivates!
Dante joins the crazy party!
Ring Fit Adventurer warms up!

Also, in general industry news:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like, if people want to go for trophies, that's fine and stuff. I just wish you could turn them off or something since it feels like it's just taunting me for not 100% completing the games I never felt an incentive to complete. Like everytime you open them up to check on the game you are actually trying to complete the trophy list for, it shows you all the others you didn't do and gives you the "you have 235 out of 1145 trophies out of all the games you played." or whatever. And it keeps adding to the last number for everytime you play a new game.
But at the point you see it as taunting you, you're starting to project a bit. Most people do not collect all the trophies/achievements in any given game. The percentages will show as much. Some people are annoyed by them, some people see them as an extra challenge. Overall the reception to them is pretty positive. People just need to keep in mind that at the end of the day it's just a game.

My accounts are littered with incomplete lists, as they would be with Nintendo games if they added that feature. There aren't enough hours in the day to try for all that stuff. I just think it would be neat to have. I think the only one I would try to complete would be Smash, since that's the only series in general I try to 100% anyway.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like Smash speculation has been very nice considering we’re at the last two. Maybe its the lack of ballot/leaks but the mood’s been pretty stable.
Even then I think a post-DLC ballot would be more chill than Smash 4’s which was during DLC

frantic times... never again

Technomage

Smash Champion
But at the point you see it as taunting you, you're starting to project a bit. Most people do not collect all the trophies/achievements in any given game. The percentages will show as much. Some people are annoyed by them, some people see them as an extra challenge. Overall the reception to them is pretty positive. People just need to keep in mind that at the end of the day it's just a game.

My accounts are littered with incomplete lists, as they would be with Nintendo games if they added that feature. There aren't enough hours in the day to try for all that stuff. I just think it would be neat to have. I think the only one I would try to complete would be Smash, since that's the only series in general I try to 100% anyway.
Yeah, I'm not a completionist (I have plenty of games that I haven't finished), though it is nice to have a collection of achievements.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Even then I think a post-DLC ballot would be more chill than Smash 4’s which was during DLC

frantic times... never again
Also helps that the frontrunning fanbases have a “oh yeah hey theyd be cool” appeal rather than a “heathens will never understand the turmoil we have faced, brothers, but we will see the end of this tunnel once again for it is our birthright“ hardcore fanbases. The toxicity is more equally spread across the general fanbase instead of contained in one vessel from the decades passed.

View attachment 317174

Now all hell is about to break loose... :p
its e3 time baby

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno.

In a way, this kinda is a golden age, in a strange way.

A good amount of the longterm fan requests are in the game now, meaning we're less tied to the hip for discussing things like Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo now.

Granted, that just in term becomes people talking about the same 5-10 characters on loop, so maybe not.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Achievements have always been so... nothing to me that it just feels bizarre to treat them like a necessary feature. The only time achievements have ever really crossed my mind is Mega Man 11, because I wanted there to be achievements for beating each boss without their weakness. There isn't, and I played the Switch version anyway, so I don't think that even counts.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Lmao how is there no dedicated thread for Zarude? I genuinely think it’s the most likely gen 8 pokemon as dlc.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The surge in (relative) attention he's been getting in recent time - a time leading up to E3 - certainly is interesting, and has been noted in the Waluigi thread. Obviously, though, the odds are great for it having nothing to do with Smash, when it could also be related to so many other things.
Maybe it’s building up to him having a role in something that’s not a sports/party game? I think that would go a long way into getting him in Smash eventually.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Achievements have always been so... nothing to me that it just feels bizarre to treat them like a necessary feature. The only time achievements have ever really crossed my mind is Mega Man 11, because I wanted there to be achievements for beating each boss without their weakness. There isn't, and I played the Switch version anyway, so I don't think that even counts.
There are alot of times when I wished achievements and trophies could give you cheats, funny/cool stuff or other things, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Like there are times where I feel that if you 100% a game that you worked hard for, there could be like a special "New Game" that allows you to start with whatever you want, give however much HP to bosses or enemies and whatnot, and etc. Like a semi-debug mode mixed in with New Game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I personally don't think this is a golden age, I think we're ever more running on fumes here since we're at a point where there are basically no real leads, leaving us without direction. And earlier in the game that'd be ok, since there would still be a lot of plausible, popular candidates on the table, but we're also at the point where all but a small handful of usual suspects are in or likely out, leaving us talking about a very select few on repeat, or downplaying the unlikelihood of some (sort of arbitrarily chosen) very long shots.

Compounded by that is the fact that we're now two years out from the last selection of characters, which means games coming out now likely won't have affected decisions, closing yet another window. The long stretches between known characters has also further clipped engagement.

I don't think the end is ever the golden period, I think the beginning usually is (the part when the content actually starts getting revealed, that is), when there's still so much hope and possibility, when the updates are more frequent and there's just a lot to chew on. I think people have forgotten what it used to be like. In the time between Sephiroth to now, we got Everyone is Here and two Smash Directs.

I mean, look how much the thread just complains about itself. Look at how activity has fallen in almost every character thread. I don't want to disabuse you of thinking this is the best time period. If you think that, all the power to you. But I don't share that opinion.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's funny is that I think the ideal/most interesting for speculation has long since passed, though this and other threads have been a genuinely engaging place for Nintendo and general gaming discussion.

Admittedly that is a bit like having a forum dedicated to baseball eventually having less talk about the sport and instead be a really good place to exchange vegan recipes, but what are you gonna do?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom