• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
An interesting one to ponder is Resident Evil. The Umbrella logo is easily the most iconic logo in the series; hell, I’d say it’s one of the most iconic things in the series period. Buuut, it’s the symbol of the villains & we’d probably get a playable hero instead. Would they still use the Umbrella logo or something the STARS logo instead?
It would have to be the Umbrella logo, I think. the S.T.A.R.S. logo is iconic to Resident Evil, but not AS iconic as the Umbrella logo. That **** shows up everywhere.

But who knows, maybe they'll just go with a zombie face or something. They've made weird decisions for series logos before. [cough]megaman[cough]

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Kratos, the protagonist of the God of War series, had appeared in two fighting video games, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Mortal Kombat (2011). But he coming as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series. it will seem incredible but also interesting.
Did I not just mention a third one he's appeared in?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Kratos can fit in Smash just fine. Yes, his games are gory, but for one, he's been in games without gore, like Soulcalibur Broken Destiny for the PSP and I believe he was even in a couple sports games like Hot Shots Golf, so he can toned down without issue. Two, much like Link and Samus, he's got a vast arsenal of power-ups, weapons and combos that he can use for a variety of moves. And three, Snake is also realistic so Kratos being realistic would not be an issue, not to mention we have characters based on Greek mythology very much like him.
The argument wasn’t that Kratos wouldn’t fit, it was that Ellie and Joel wouldn't be any less fitting than Kratos, since people are trying to claim TLOU is “too dark” or “too gritty” while trying to simultaneously justify Kratos.

In my view it’s either both are fitting or both are unfitting. Not one or the other.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think Joel or Ellie couldn’t fit. Anyone can fit. I just feel like they’re leagues less interesting gameplay wise compared to Kratos. If Kratos wasn’t a direct competition with them I may feel different. Then again, there’s a whole bunch of Sony characters I would prefer before Joel and Ellie and this is coming from a Last of Us fan.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The last Sony systems I owned were the PS2 and PSP. And even with those I bought way more third party titles than first party.

So honestly there isn't really any Sony character that interests me at all, unless maybe we count "ex-Sony" characters with Crash and Spyro.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The character type that interests me least in terms of being included for Smash are the hyperrealistic ""normal"" people, whether Joel/Ellie, or Nathan Drake, or Lara Croft. Yes they could work and yes their games are good (more or less), but given the choice between a mostly normal person and a character with exaggeratedly fantastical elements and a less grounded design, the latter just seems a better fit for Smash, in my opinion. It's certainly my preference.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The character type that interests me least in terms of being included for Smash are the hyperrealistic ""normal"" people, whether Joel/Ellie, or Nathan Drake, or Lara Croft. Yes they could work and yes their games are good (more or less), but given the choice between a mostly normal person and a character with exaggeratedly fantastical elements and a less grounded design, the latter just seems a better fit for Smash, in my opinion. It's certainly my preference.
Is it because of guns?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As far as “normal person” characters go there aren’t too many that strike my fancy either, but I do think Jill and Leon from Resident Evil would make fantastic additions.

Of course they could easily be Smash-ified a bit by pulling more from say, Jill’s portrayal in MVC2. But the point still stands, I think Resident Evil would fit into Smash very nicely.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Solid Snake, however, with the means at his disposal, succeeded and came to the Super Smash Bros. series. So why not Lara Croft, Jill and Leon?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For me, it's less about the design and more about the moveset. You can slap a cartoony art style on a character if you want, but that won't mean much to me if their moveset mostly consists of generic stuff that a lot of characters can do (punching, sword swinging, etc.) Likewise, a realistic character can still be really interesting and use weird attacks.

Shroob

Sup?
I get why people dislike "real" characters.

But, we also have Snake so.

Sakurai can make a moveset out of a Piranha Plant, if we ever got a character from a more 'real' game, he'd still be able to make it work.

Shroob

Sup?
So hum, you know how people though that Crash might jave "leaked" because of his voice actor and such and how a certain website wrote an article?
Well...

Seems that Imran debunked this and Crash might not be our next Character.
I'd be surprised if Imran knew who the character was 3 weeks in advance tbh.

Granted, I also believe him in this that the voice actor thing obviously wasn't for Smash.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So hum, you know how people though that Crash might jave "leaked" because of his voice actor and such and how a certain website wrote an article?
Well...

I feel like Crash whole existence in the Smash Bros Speculation Sphere as been that he is confirm, then deconfirm, confirm again, then deconfirm, etc..

Poor guy.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well...

Exactly how reputable is this guy? I'm not too into the loop as of late, and that article's most definitely clickbait, but I don't want any of us to count our chickens before the eggs hatch.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Exactly how reputable is this guy? I'm not too into the loop as of late, and that article's most definitely clickbait, but I don't want any of us to count our chickens before the eggs hatch.
Maybe I'm Not More In Never

If you know, you know.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Imran? He's at the top of the top in term of Gaming Stories and News, he knows about games, direct, and such in advance.

I'd be surprised if Imran knew who the character was 3 weeks in advance tbh.

Granted, I also believe him in this that the voice actor thing obviously wasn't for Smash.
To be fair, he knew lots of characters in advance too but just keep quiet from what we can see from his post in resetEra. Perhaps the name went out for the people close to more "important" source, sorta like how Banjo and Min-min did but they just kept quiet, since you know.
No one want to leak Smash DLC anymore, just turn down the dumb rumors

Shroob

Sup?
Imran? He's at the top of the top in term of Gaming Stories and News, he knows about games, direct, and such in advance.

To be fair, he knew lots of characters in advance too but just keep quiet from what we can see from his post in resetEra. Perhaps the name went out for the people close to more "important" source, sorta like how Banjo and Min-min did but they just kept quiet, since you know.
No one want to leak Smash DLC anymore, just turn down the dumb rumors
Didn't he say Master Chief at one point.....

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Didn't he say Master Chief at one point.....
Back in January, when Byleth was announced, he said that he'd expect Sora/Master Chief or big heavy hitter to this level to show up, and that was his own speculation.

For exemple, he seems to have known about steve later on with how long the deal happened and such, but didnt know about Sephiroth as literally no one saw it coming

Shroob

Sup?
Back in January, when Byleth was announced, he said that he'd expect Sora/Master Chief or big heavy hitter to this level to show up, and that was his own speculation.

For exemple, he seems to have known about steve later on with how long the deal happened and such, but didnt know about Sephiroth as literally no one saw it coming
Fair.

Though, this also doesn't really 'debunk' Crash, does it? Just that the rumor going around that the thing the two voice actors were working on could have been Smash is false. It's just as likely that Imran knew what the project that they were working on was.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Fair.

Though, this also doesn't really 'debunk' Crash, does it? Just that the rumor going around that the thing the two voice actors were working on could have been Smash is false. It's just as likely that Imran knew what the project that they were working on was.
To be fair, he wouldnt also say "no" if the next one is Crash, if he know who it was,. Knowing him and how it might bite him back-

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I get why people dislike "real" characters.

But, we also have Snake so.

Sakurai can make a moveset out of a Piranha Plant, if we ever got a character from a more 'real' game, he'd still be able to make it work.
I don't know, I feel like Snake works because outside of Smash Bros, he fights stuff like the apes from ape escape, Rathalos from monster hunter and the series has this self awareness that it's a video game so it's kind of in character for Snake to be in Smash Bros. That's just my take on it, I don't care if it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know, I feel like Snake works though because outside of Smash Bros, he fights stuff like the apes from ape escape, Rathalos from monster hunter and the series has this self awareness that it's a video game so it's kind of in character for Snake to be in Smash Bros. That's just my take on it, I don't care if it doesn't make sense.
Nah, that makes sense.

I guess there's a sorta slider of cartoony-to-realism that people work on, where certain properties seem like they're moreso in the realism camp, but have things that pull them back, like the aforementioned things in MGS, or say, Tofu Mode in Resident Evil, for example.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nah, that makes sense.

I guess there's a sorta slider of cartoony-to-realism that people work on, where certain properties seem like they're moreso in the realism camp, but have things that pull them back, like the aforementioned things in MGS, or say, Tofu Mode in Resident Evil, for example.
Yakuza is a fantastic example of this, as by all means, the series is very grounded compared to everything in Smash but it gets so wacky with the side content that Kiryu feels perfect for Smash

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
Well...

It doesn't necessarily disconfirm crash, it might just be that khan knows what the project is or just that he thinks that the conclusion made is stupid.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It doesn't necessarily disconfirm crash, it might just be that khan knows what the project is or just that he thinks that the conclusion made is stupid.
Once again-

To be fair, he wouldnt also say "no" if the next one is Crash, if he know who it was,. Knowing him and how it might bite him back-
Leakers dont speak about Smash Anymore unless they know what they're talking about. You don't realize how bad the smash community would be if Smash suddenly pop-up in June to him.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
To be fair, half of Crash's "confirmations" are people looking at anything going for him and saying "he's in".
That is true, but Crash feel to me like that character that had like golden opportunity after golden one to make it in, yet so far he didn't.

While I ain't a fan of him and some of his fans reach at straw sometime, if he truly doesn't make it in, i'm gonna feel a bit bad for his fans.

Don't ask me why, I just empathize alot with peoples sometime. :drshrug:

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair, half of Crash's "confirmations" are people looking at anything going for him and saying "he's in".
I'm a huge, HUGE Crash fan, and for the longest time, to me at least, Crash has started to feel like the newest Doomslayer/Hayabusa/Geno/Dante.

A character who people swear up and down is 100% happening, but ends up not. There's definitely a chance that the aforementioned characters come still, but as time marches on, my faith in them dwindles substantially.

Chief will fall into this category as well if he misses E3.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The Crash voice actor thing was never for Smash, the voice actor for Neo Cortex said so himself.
From Smash Wiki:
On May 20, 2021, Lex Lang made a post with a similar teaser to Whyte's, and in the comments section, one user asked if it was for Crash in Smash, to which Lang replied, "I wish," confirming that the tease was not for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom