• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Does this mean no Gravity Rush in Smash? I mean, this sucks either way, but I would've preferred one of these games over Generic Realistic Character #4853.
Yeah Sony is abandoning Japan (even though Jim ryan said they aren't it's really obvious they are), give it another year and it'll probably be closed.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Does this mean no Gravity Rush in Smash? I mean, this sucks either way, but I would've preferred one of these games over Generic Realistic Character #4853.
Saw this on a Discord server. I'm not very knowledgeable on Sony stuff, so it felt like I found a whole new world, only to arrive too late to enjoy it. Gravity Rush is the only one I'm really familiar with, but this still sucks.

What with Sony's increasing focus on big Western triple-A devs, I wonder how smaller Japanese companies like Falcom will react. Maybe they'll start developing games for the Switch directly, or return to their PC roots. Granted, they already port their games to those platforms, but they've been relying on publishers for them. I'm kinda curious as to whether or not they'll start changing focuses.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
it really suck's (imo) the japan studio games were the only reason to get a playstation for me, im glad i didn't get the ps5 at launch because i would've had gotten pretty much nothing since the studio is practically dead.

btw everyone who hasn't played locoroco please do, same with parrapa the rapper and gravity rush.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Saw this on a Discord server. I'm not very knowledgeable on Sony stuff, so it felt like I found a whole new world, only to arrive too late to enjoy it. Gravity Rush is the only one I'm really familiar with, but this still sucks.

What with Sony's increasing focus on big Western triple-A devs, I wonder how smaller Japanese companies like Falcom will react. Maybe they'll start developing games for the Switch directly, or return to their PC roots. Granted, they already port their games to those platforms, but they've been relying on publishers for them. I'm kinda curious as to whether or not they'll start changing focuses.
For what it's worth, a lot of franchises that were primarily Playstation have started going multiplatform, like Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts. That should be pretty telling...

Pillow

Smash Lord
They don't even need to make a new game, they can just port the TCG Online that they have already made and that would easily turn some heads and make some quick money.
If they were bringing it to switch I’d hope they just make a new game for it instead. Compared to modern digital card games like Hearthstone, MtGA, LoR, Shadowverse, even Duel Links, the pokemon tcg online client looks and feels very cheap while Nintendo itself is all about polish.

SKX31

Smash Master
And Japan has rejected Sony. The PS5 is the worst selling PlayStation console in Japan ever.
I remember when the PS3 was pronounced as practically dead in the water. Don't count chickens before they hatch.

It sounds like those smaller companies will likely react by A) Making sure their existing libraries are on the PS stores worldwide to help alliviate any possible concerns, B) Going multiplat if they haven't already, as well as Steam / EGS to help improve visibility, C) Focusing on keeping their next games' budgets constrained to some degree - they won't be able to do AAA budgets (hell, AAA studios are having trouble with AAA budgets - EA recently removed multiplayer from the upcoming Dragon Age game) so cheaper budgets might be a good thing.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
You sure its not just the lack of widespread availability of the console that's contributing to poor sales?
there aren't any games people care about you can't get on switch there. why would you get a ps5 for puyo puyo tetris 2 when that's on switch?

not too mention it's software sales are abysmal, of around a few hundred thousand consoles i believe like 40 thousand got miles morales and even less got demon souls, most of the consoles are being shipped to other countries or being bought for resale,

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For what it's worth, a lot of franchises that were primarily Playstation have started going multiplatform, like Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts. That should be pretty telling...
To be fair, Ys and Trails have already been multiplat for a while. Ys, in particular, has the latest version of every game on Steam (Except Ys V, which was never localized and wasn't very well-received anyways). However, they've needed publishers like XSEED and NIS America for those ports; They only directly make games for PlayStation. Still, I'm wondering if they'll start directly developing and optimizing games for the Switch or the PC instead of just porting them later. The Switch looks particularly appealing, in my opinion; Sony's moving away from Japan, the Xbox never got a solid foundation, and they originally moved away from the PC because it was losing steam in Japan. The Switch is basically the JRPG machine of this generation, so I'd imagine an RPG company like Falcom would easily make themselves at home there.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Or a Nintendo dictatorship. :nifty:
Doubt it since Microsoft is making some really smart moves towards their Japanese Market regardless. That and them getting more Japanese Exclusives will also help considering Sony is doing the exact opposite. Essentially, one is smart, the other one hates money apparently.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Miles Edgeworth as an Echo for my boi Phoenix.
I feel like Apollo or Athena would be the echo instead

I mean, remakes are still new games with all the same work as the usual games just without having to come up with story, layout, or characters aside from redesigns and such, so I don't feel remakes are overpriced.
Ports, maybe, but not remakes.

As a fan of Roll, heck yeah, and her costumes could be MM11, MM8, & MM1-7/9-10 designs~

Zero in his Mega Man Zero design is my dream..even Capcom hasn't used him in a crossover since Onimusha Blade Warriors and SNK in SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos..Capcom didn't even use the design for Zero's alts in MVC3 or MVCI..though they did reference his MMZ Z-Saber in Tatsunoko vs Capcom as his Lvl 3 Super.

He'd have more moveset potential than MMX Zero I feel, though a MMZ version of his MMX design would make a neat alt.
I vastly prefer Zero’s MMZ look as well. His traditional look is too blocky imo.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
To be fair, Ys and Trails have already been multiplat for a while. Ys, in particular, has the latest version of every game on Steam (Except Ys V, which was never localized and wasn't very well-received anyways). However, they've needed publishers like XSEED and NIS America for those ports; They only directly make games for PlayStation. Still, I'm wondering if they'll start directly developing and optimizing games for the Switch or the PC instead of just porting them later. The Switch looks particularly appealing, in my opinion; Sony's moving away from Japan, the Xbox never got a solid foundation, and they originally moved away from the PC because it was losing steam in Japan. The Switch is basically the JRPG machine of this generation, so I'd imagine an RPG company like Falcom would easily make themselves at home there.
it's a death sentence for a kinda small Japanese publisher too be making playstation games only, i hope they begin making games for the switch soon.

Doubt it since Microsoft is making some really smart moves towards their Japanese Market regardless. That and them getting more Japanese Exclusives will also help considering Sony is doing the exact opposite. Essentially, one is smart, the other one hates money apparently.
have you seen japanese sales? Xbox is a non factor. at it's peak it sold like 1million there.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I remember when the PS3 was pronounced as practically dead in the water. Don't count chickens before they hatch.

It sounds like those smaller companies will likely react by A) Making sure their existing libraries are on the PS stores worldwide to help alliviate any possible concerns, B) Going multiplat if they haven't already, as well as Steam / EGS to help improve visibility, C) Focusing on keeping their next games' budgets constrained to some degree - they won't be able to do AAA budgets (hell, AAA studios are having trouble with AAA budgets - EA recently removed multiplayer from the upcoming Dragon Age game) so cheaper budgets might be a good thing.
Except back then Sony actually cared about their Japanese audience.

D

Deleted member

Sony has made many decisions that alienated their Japanese audience.
Articles delcaring the death of a console or poor performance less than 6 months into its deployment often age poorly. It's way too early to take those things seriously and act like its a definitive truth. You have to give things time to mature before you can get a proper assessment of how an audience truly feels. The decisions sony has made over the years were made YEARS ago; like PS2 & PS3 days and yet both consoles, as well as PS4, have been performing excellently in multiple markets, Japan included, for years now.

The first year of release for a new generation of consoles tends to be a bit on the slow side and the inventory issues haven't made things any better. By the end of Year 2 for the PS5, as well as the new Xbox, you'll see their sales increase significantly and all doubt will evaporate.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
screenshot2021-02-25aofj6k.png

credit goes to mazi on resetera

the situation there is really bad.

also to anyone saying the Xbox can improve, No, No it won't just trust me on this Xbox is irrelevant. it already peaked.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
it's a death sentence for a kinda small Japanese publisher too be making playstation games only, i hope they begin making games for the switch soon.
I'd imagine they'd be making some decent money off the ports, at least. They're not making games directly for the Switch or Steam, but those are still their games XSEED/NIS are publishing and I'd presume they're still making money off of those. Steam especially, given that basically the entire Ys series and most of Trails is on there, among others.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I'd imagine they'd be making some decent money off the ports, at least. They're not making games directly for the Switch or Steam, but those are still their games XSEED/NIS are publishing and I'd presume they're still making money off of those. Steam especially, given that basically the entire Ys series and most of Trails is on there, among others.
i believe they made more than half their money on those last year.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

have you seen japanese sales? Xbox is a non factor. at it's peak it sold like 1million there.
Things can change. I know Microsoft’s making an attempt at the Japanese Market again, and since Sony is leaving Japan, Microsoft knows this is their time to strike! As for the Switch, that success isn’t going to last forever. I mean, remember the Wii? Part of the reason the Wii U failed as bad as it did was because of how successful the Wii was. Same happened with the NES. Competition is something that will happen eventually, and Microsoft knows this, so judging by some interviews, I do think Microsoft is going to take Sony’s Place in Japan. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, but for now that’s my prediction.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was joking. Besides, don't forget all the MOBA and MMOs sucking the souls of PC gamers out there.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Things can change. I know Microsoft’s making an attempt at the Japanese Market again, and since Sony is leaving Japan, Microsoft knows this is their time to strike! As for the Switch, that success isn’t going to last forever. I mean, remember the Wii? Part of the reason the Wii U failed as bad as it did was because of how successful the Wii was. Same happened with the NES. Competition is something that will happen eventually, and Microsoft knows this, so judging by some interviews, I do think Microsoft is going to take Sony’s Place in Japan. If I’m wrong I’m wrong, but for now that’s my prediction.
just stop please, the switch isn't going to fall off a peak, it will become the best selling console there. and worldwide too probably. the switch still has 4-5 years to go before the switch 2 comes out,

Right now it's already ahead of 2020 in sales and it still has stock issues. Japan is a Nintendo market now and no one will be able to break it.

this year xbox has sold 2000 unit's TOTAL in this year so far. ps5 100k and switch 1mil

Where's the source on this? Not to be pushy or aggressive, I'm just curious.
i'll look, i found it on one of the media creates sales thread i just can't remember which one.

Last edited:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
we just need to hope that Nintendo actually did learn their lesson with Wii U’s failure, the success from Switch won’t last yes, but it’s a smart idea to release a pro version now, and even extend the switch’s lifetime, that’s why I think fighters pass 3 is still happening, it would be such a smart move for them.

SKX31

Smash Master
credit goes to mazi on resetera

the situation there is really bad.

also to anyone saying the Xbox can improve, No, No it won't just trust me on this Xbox is irrelevant. it already peaked.
I still find it too early to really draw many conclusions. Not least because of the stock issues (partly as a result of a global semiconductor shortage) but also since quite a lot of ultimately successful consoles had lacklustre launch lineups and / or other issues at launch (the Red Ring of Death being one of the most infamous ones).

If this persists even when semiconductor production is back to a (relative) normal, then it might be time, but saying anything definitive right now feels premature.

Okay... For me that was totally unexpected, Sony is leaving Japan? The hell?
The current bout of discussion stemmed from Sony's decision to wind down original development at its Japan studio (see last page), not leaving Japan entirely.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace

This is only adding to Sony's movement away from Japan. The PS5 sales are not great there right now, but a lot of that is stock issues. And whenever Sony gets stock they barely send any to Japan. As someone mentioned, once stock becomes readily available and Sony actually feels like giving Japan some PS5's I think you'll see the sales go up a lot. However, Sony definitely is shifting toward a new market.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Like, much as I want Mario kart 9 to happen, we know the last one has been selling nonstop, so if Nintendo needs to save a new Mario kart for their next console years from now, they should invest even more on ultimate, because we know that with smash brothers this is really the highest point they can reach.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
This is only adding to Sony's movement away from Japan. The PS5 sales are not great there right now, but a lot of that is stock issues. And whenever Sony gets stock they barely send any to Japan. As someone mentioned, once stock becomes readily available and Sony actually feels like giving Japan some PS5's I think you'll see the sales go up a lot. However, Sony definitely is shifting toward a new market.
Even if it sucks, I guess they have reasons for that. If your profits are coming from Europe/USA and your best selling games are the ones made by your western studios, which happen to be popular among the western audience, it's not that hard to see a decision like that from a company viewpoint.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
So, this is how Nintendo more or less becomes an unopposed juggernaut in its home country, huh?
it already was since mid 2020 but yeah, its not even a gaming thing anymore, they are a cultural icon for japan at this point.

there's a reason the prime minister of Japan was dressed as mario when he announced the olympic's would be held at tokyo.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I feel like Apollo or Athena would be the echo instead
Apollo could also work, I just like Edgeworth more. I can’t imagine Athena being the echo though, as both Apollo and Edgeworth are more popular and her proportions wouldn’t fit Phoenixes very well.
I’m also procrastinating on finishing Apollo Justice so Athena slipped my mind but don’t tell anyone I said that.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
All this chatter is making me wonder what third-party studios are going to do with Sony’s waning presence in Japan, especially those known for contracts like Atlus and Squeenix. What’s gonna happen from this point on?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I saw the discussion on the Concert Leak a few pages back, figured I would chime in.

Let me start with the positives. It got a XC2 character right. I would give it a bit more stock if it predicted Pyra/Mythra by name, but even getting XC2 next is something to note. I was personally expecting smaller third party>e3>first party final character. So yeah, monkeys on typewriters got it right. The other thing I would say is that Crash and Monster Hunter both are very safe bets. If we do not see MH get its mii costumes or a spirit event, then I would put some stock in possibly getting a MH character. The timing for Pyra and Mythra does give us a good window to see if MH RIse will get promoted in Smash by one of those two methods. Honestly, if you asked me who the three safest characters to guess right now were, I would tell you Crash, Hayabusa, and Monster Hunter even excluding this leak.

That being said, there is some stuff that makes me doubtful. First off, Sugiyama might be an issue. Even putting aside the personal controversies with him, he would likely be an obstacle for this sort of concert. He is notably protective of his music and does not like others touching it. As such, I could see that being a hurdle to this being true. The other things that hold it back imo are the oddities in the leak. If this leak is real, it seems it is making a concentrated effort to prove a fake leak does not need Ken, because they forgot about him. Now, this person might have forgot when making the list. There are over 80 characters in the game after all. But it is a bit of a black mark. There are some other weird song selections, such as for Roy.

Overall, I think the Concert Leak is interesting, but I would not bet the farm on it. I have about as much faith in the leak as I would for the 5chan leak: a small % chance it ends up being right. Outside of using it to ****post, I personally will not be having it impact my personal predictions too much. It could happen, it is a safe enough choice. I personally doubt it.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
All this chatter is making me wonder what third-party studios are going to do with Sony’s waning presence in Japan, especially those known for contracts like Atlus and Squeenix. What’s gonna happen from this point on?
FF is going to decline in japan, DQ12 will come to switch, next nier will probably be multiplat.

Capcom already have or has switch games in the works for most of their ip's

Atlus goes multiplat probably.

Konami basically makes switch games only now.

Falcom will probably start self publishing.

Sega demoted the anti Nintendo guy so more switch stuff from them

Bandai still has the anti Nintendo guy in charge so Tales of will probably die.

Marvelous is a switch exclusive developer

Koei Tecmo makes Nintendo games now, and also everything except Nioh (funded by Sony) comes to the switch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This post was warned for spam as items literally translating the above post into Spanish.
Capcom ya tiene o tiene juegos de switch en proceso para la mayoría de sus ip

Persona se convierte probablemente en multiplataforma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom