• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm legitimately surprised Cinderace isn't on here considering how hard the anime is trying to push it. Hell, it's not even the most popular Galarian Pokemon as Alcremie and Inteleon on here.

Then again, this poll is pretty weird. Pokemon like Snivy, Flygon and Luxray being on here make sense, but Barbaracle? Sliggo instead of Goodra or Goomy? Whismur? Definitely not choices you'd expect to place highly.
That's Twitter for ya, seeing Magnemite (Japan's meme Pokemon) so high already tells this poll is not meant to be taken too seriously.
Not saying that every pick is a meme pick of course.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Quick question. Who would you pick as the final two characters?
Robotnik and Crash.

Neither of them are my "most wanted" or even in my top 5, but considering we're wrapping up development on the most unprecedented video game crossover ever, I feel like trying to shoehorn Amaterasu, Shantae, Neku, or Chell at this point would just be selfish. Even in this completely hypothetical dream scenario, I wouldn't be able to do it haha.

Robotnik would really compete the "must-have villains" gang as well as finally give Sonic his second rep, and Crash is the only other character I can think of who would have such enormous appeal across the entire video gaming spectrum. They would both hit the nostalgia button for older fans while also being fresh off of newer games for younger gamers. We know that the west and the east love them both. For a variety of reasons (the memes, let's be honest), Robotnik has never been more popular. And in Crash's case, he's appeared on every current-gen console to critical and commercial praise. Plus, ending with Crash would mean ending the entirety of Ultimate with an iconic platforming icon, which seems fitting considering that's what most of Smash's roster consisted of back when Sakurai first conceived of it back on the N64.

It won't be these two, of course, but in a perfect world where I was trying to make the most amount of people at least satisfied with the end result, these two would be my Final Answer choices.

tumblr_8974ae1d7e5a13003877f99b3c002015_6cdf05c9_500.png

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Ok, what would y’all say the odds we get the last two born revealed at e3? Personally, unless they do another final smash direct I doubt we will get that.

Also I am listening to a podcast rn, anyone want to tldr the Papagenos video for me?
I'd say the chances of a double reveal are very low. The slow trickling of reveals helps prolong interest in the game. It doesn't make any sense from a business perspective, and just because it happened that way in 4 doesn't mean it will be a trend.

Man, if both Lloyd AND Monster Hunter die come P/M's presentation, things gonna get real interestin'.

.....gonna take all the strength in the world to not look at Chief and say, "...but what if.... E3...?"
Monster Hunter deconfirm during the Pyra presentation would indicate to me that we're not getting a Capcom character at all. I think Chief has a very legitimate shot, but I've thought that from the beginning of the pass.

I still think Hayabusa is one of the last 2, and I think he will be CP10 if MH costumes come back soon. My last prediction used to be Arle, but more and more I feel like they're going to end with some global crowd favorite character like Master Chief, Crash, Doomslayer or 2B. Everyone always says Smash never ends strong, and they're right, but I think this time will be different.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Here's something that's been on my mind for a bit.

A lot of people seem dead set that Steve was meant to be shown off at last E3 if we were to have had one, but then, how exactly would that have worked scheduling-wise in regards to how the DLC for Pass 2 was spaced out?

Byelth started the year in January

Then the mini Direct in March, which, I 'want' to say March is where Min Min would have dropped, but they flat out said that they needed more time for her. Sure, Corona probably had a lot to do with this, but at the same time, they seemingly rebounded back onto their feet oddly quickly.

So in this scenario, either Min Min was in March, or June like we got her, and then Steve would have been shown off, correct? In this scenario, had Min Min taken until June, I could see Steve revealed, but released around the same time that he was.

But then where does Sephiroth fit into all this?

Sephiroth feels like he was always meant to be a TGA reveal hands down, but TGA is in December, and if we had known Steve back in June, we still probably would have had a September Direct like we always do, and as far as I can remember, we have not had a General Direct where we haven't gotten Smash news for a newcomer, with the sole exception for the Feb 2019 Direct, and even then, Joker was still a way's away from actually releasing.

So in this scenario where Steve was revealed in June at the hypothetical E3, would the September Direct just not show us anything at all? Would it be the first Direct to offer nothing in regards to a character that we didn't know?

Meaning that we'd basically be going from September to December completely blind on what's next? They did that with Terry to Byleth, but that was also a really short wait in between.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m not fatigued but I’m rarely one to get super involved in the in depth speculation anymore. I do it for Hayabusa to spread my propaganda but that’s about it. I’ve been in for the ride since Banjo.

I honestly just watch the goings on in here, comment on what I find interesting, and usually just make sure you guys are abiding by the rules so fatigue really isn’t much of a problem for me. Smash speculation scientists, yeah I can imagine you guys are sick of trying to figure out who’s next and consistently being wrong because Nintendo and Sakurai are about as readable as a blank book thats ink only shows up in pure darkness.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I've been saying this for awhile but no one believed me. I feel vindicated. :239:
The funny thing is that they didnt pulled out because of Covid, but because of the crazy industry leak from last year, alongsides others publishers and devs as a complain to the E3 managements and staff

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't see a double reveal at all. They're spaced out not because of COVID, but because it's meant to have 6 characters over 2 years. They're supposed to last as much of this year as possible.

Can't do that if you group them together. The only way it'd happen is if they plan something like an Echo Pass(something I don't see any chance of happening) or one more year total, with a few characters left(also something I have zero faith in happening).

I think we're just going to get both a few/couple months apart each and that's it. Rest are balance updates. Maybe a standalone stage again, or an update to a mode(but not a new mode), and the last one I just noted isn't too likely. Though I could see Master Hand playable in the All-Star equivalent. He's not an Echo or a regular fighter, so it's be a mode update. And by see, it's a fun wish, but they really teased us hard with a tiny ability to use him for a short session... and you had to go through a giant ton of stuff to do it again. Like, this would probably be the only thing to an exception to another character playable as is, since it's not a regular case. It'd make sense too, honestly. A single player option/update so you can have fun with the guy you had a few minutes to use in a long mode. The only thing that seems actually near impossible is his moveset being updated for that mode so you can do more, and that'd feel like they're actually making a new character instead of a quick mode update.

Man, there's so many cool Echo ideas as is(also, was talking to someone, and every single Echo has the same weight as their counterparts. Dr. Mario doesn't, as I noted. So Ken and Dr. Mario have more differences than Dr. Mario simply have a bit more of a unique moveset, but actual different attributes and weight. Welp. No wonder he's not an Echo. He actually doesn't fit what every other Echo is. XD Well, there's the Melee thing too, but he's the only low effort clone among the 6, so...).

Shroob

Sup?
The funny thing is that they didnt pulled out because of Covid, but because of the crazy industry leak from last year, alongsides others publishers and devs as a complain to the E3 managements and staff
The one that they who shall not be named got their hands on and just vomited out on Twitter?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Don't see that boding well for a return to E3 then.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Steve wasn't meant for E3, that's probably the only info I can say lmao.
Nintendo pulled out of E3 before making any plan for it if you guys really needs that.
People always bring up E3 as a time for a "big reveal" but really Nintendo hasn't cared that much about E3 for a very long time, not just this year. The reason we got the Hero/Banjo double reveal was just because that was around the time Nintendo wanted to reveal some fighters and E3 was a big event that gave them an opportunity to do so. E3 is no different to them than something like the game awards. They don't prepare "hype" picks specifically for E3.

That said, even if Nintendo pull out of E3 this year, we might still get an E3 Smash trailer without a specific Nintendo section of E3.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
People always bring up E3 as a time for a "big reveal" but really Nintendo hasn't cared that much about E3 for a very long time, not just this year. The reason we got the Hero/Banjo double reveal was just because that was around the time Nintendo wanted to reveal some fighters and E3 was a big event that gave them an opportunity to do so. E3 is no different to them than something like the game awards. They don't prepare "hype" picks specifically for E3.

That said, even if Nintendo pull out of E3 this year, we might still get an E3 Smash trailer without a specific Nintendo section of E3.
If E3 even happens at all.

I think a June Direct is likely(Not guaranteed), same can't be said for E3.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The one that they who shall not be named got their hands on and just vomited out on Twitter?
Nah, the one where the ESA ****ed up and leaked personal info of tons of people in the industry, and where even the creative director of the show left. That leak.

No, Nintendo cares about E3 a lot, you dont say no to publicity.
Any publicity is big publicity and they know everyone have eyes on them there

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's something that's been on my mind for a bit.

A lot of people seem dead set that Steve was meant to be shown off at last E3 if we were to have had one, but then, how exactly would that have worked scheduling-wise in regards to how the DLC for Pass 2 was spaced out?

Byelth started the year in January

Then the mini Direct in March, which, I 'want' to say March is where Min Min would have dropped, but they flat out said that they needed more time for her. Sure, Corona probably had a lot to do with this, but at the same time, they seemingly rebounded back onto their feet oddly quickly.

So in this scenario, either Min Min was in March, or June like we got her, and then Steve would have been shown off, correct? In this scenario, had Min Min taken until June, I could see Steve revealed, but released around the same time that he was.

But then where does Sephiroth fit into all this?

Sephiroth feels like he was always meant to be a TGA reveal hands down, but TGA is in December, and if we had known Steve back in June, we still probably would have had a September Direct like we always do, and as far as I can remember, we have not had a General Direct where we haven't gotten Smash news for a newcomer, with the sole exception for the Feb 2019 Direct, and even then, Joker was still a way's away from actually releasing.

So in this scenario where Steve was revealed in June at the hypothetical E3, would the September Direct just not show us anything at all? Would it be the first Direct to offer nothing in regards to a character that we didn't know?

Meaning that we'd basically be going from September to December completely blind on what's next? They did that with Terry to Byleth, but that was also a really short wait in between.
ARMS reveal in March, Min Min and Steve reveal at E3, Min Min releases. Steve releases in September. September Direct reveals Sephiroth, Sephiroth releases in Nov/Dec. No TGA reveal, like 2019. 2021 largely unaltered.

I'm not going to go on Sephiroth "feels like" he was always set for TGA, I'm going to go with Directs typically getting priority. I think Joker was an aberration because that was launch night, and TGA worked for Sephiroth because of the lack of Directs.

That's what I think the original plan was. I don't believe there was going to be a release the typical span after Byleth because I think there was a gap between the development of Pass 1 and 2, wherein one ended and then the other started, as opposed to the revolving door of consecutive simultaneous development within the passes. I mean after Byleth Sakurai did say the next character wasn't going to be ready any time soon, or something to that effect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Also, Pass 1 was done in a single year, not two, so they didn't have time to space characters out much. A double E3 reveal was kind of necessary to get things done on time. They likely had it planned even before the thought of a Pass 2 came up. Though it could've gone either way to which was figured out first.

They don't have to worry about that anymore, due to actually giving lots of time. And Sakurai even had to delay Min Min a bit for gameplay reasons, which all the more justifies the 2 year thing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Steve wasn't meant for E3, that's probably the only info I can say lmao.
Nintendo pulled out of E3 before making any plan for it if you guys really needs that.
I mean, before Nintendo pulled out of E3, before the pandemic really hit, they roadmapped the initial plan for the DLC. They would've had a rough timeframe for when they were planning to reveal these characters.

Pillow

Smash Lord
No, Nintendo cares about E3 a lot, you dont say no to publicity.
Any publicity is big publicity and they know everyone have eyes on them there
Sure, they'll participate when it suits them. But Nintendo (or frankly, most large gaming companies) have not really needed E3 for a while. Part of the reason for E3's gradual decline even before Covid was the fact that companies were no longer preparing things specifically to showcase at E3, instead having their own methods such as Nintendo Directs.

My main point was that I see a lot of people saying things like "X seems like they're suitable for a big E3 reveal", when I don't think Nintendo specifically aims to do that at all.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, before Nintendo pulled out of E3, before the pandemic really hit, they roadmapped the initial plan for the DLC. They would've had a rough timeframe for when they were planning to reveal these characters.
Oh, totally they probably had a very early draft when designing FP2, but when Covid did hit and the E3 ****show happened, they probably early on pushed it off too. As really, no showfloor plan that takes months to prepare, or journalists/guests lists or anything was planned. That ESA leak was a ****show for E3 and killed it. Covid just kicked the body while it was still warm

Shroob

Sup?
Sure, they'll participate when it suits them. But Nintendo (or frankly, most large gaming companies) have not really needed E3 for a while. Part of the reason for E3's gradual decline even before Covid was the fact that companies were no longer preparing things specifically to showcase at E3, instead having their own methods such as Nintendo Directs.

My main point was that I see a lot of people saying things like "X seems like they're suitable for a big E3 reveal", when I don't think Nintendo specifically aims to do that at all.
People always seem to forget that their big headliners for 2014's E3 was Palutena and Miis, with Pac Man only originally being shown to a small crowd.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
People always seem to forget that their big headliners for 2014's E3 was Palutena and Miis, with Pac Man only originally being shown to a small crowd.
Yeah but Smash 4 spec would have you believe Pac-Man isn't the kind of character to reveal at E3.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah if anyone was meant for E3 it was Min Min, people can say that COVID meant they didn't get a trailer ready on time, but making a segment to hype up the character in a Direct and making the game free for a limited time to get people invested sounds far too deliberate to be done because of a lack of time to finish a gameplay trailer

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Wait, I thought it was just the press who got doxxed? I had no idea employees of publishers/developers who attended E3 2019 also got dox.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Wait, I thought it was just the press who got doxxed, I no idea employees of publishers/developers who attended E3 2019 also got dox.
When the event you participate in get doxxed over 2k personal info.
You're sorta getting cold feet that your industry secret might be at risk.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
When the event you participate in get doxxed over 2k personal info.
You're sorta getting cold feet that your industry secret might be at risk.
Man no wonder Sony wasn't gonna attend E3 for the second year in a row despite plans to launch a console in 2020.

Playstation employees really did dodge a bullet by not attending E3 2019 it seems.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh, totally they probably had a very early draft when designing FP2, but when Covid did hit and the E3 ****show happened, they probably early on pushed it off too. As really, no showfloor plan that takes months to prepare, or journalists/guests lists or anything was planned. That ESA leak was a ****show for E3 and killed it. Covid just kicked the body while it was still warm
I think we're misunderstanding each other a bit. I'm not saying Nintendo had their E3 all lined up and ready to go, all shot and edited and finalized then just called it off. I think Nintendo had some content they would've shown at E3, had it happened, and had covid not happened, and had there been no resulting delays, and because none of that came together, some of it got deferred to much later. I think Steve was one of those things.

I'm speaking more of what I believe their initial intent was when making the roadmap back before the plague.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think we're misunderstanding each other a bit. I'm not saying Nintendo had their E3 all lined up and ready to go, all shot and edited and finalized then just called it off. I think Nintendo had some content they would've shown at E3, had it happened, and had covid not happened, and had there been no resulting delays, and because none of that came together, some of it got deferred to much later. I think Steve was one of those things.

I'm speaking more of what I believe their initial intent was when making the roadmap back before the plague.
OH! Okay, sure, I understand then! Of course then! It totally could have been possible! Sorry for the misunderstanding >w<

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Was a very vocal minority then.
I mean I would be saying a similar thing for like, K. Rool, in this regard. Everybody can remember those arguments because they were weird and bad and some people really stood by them, but they clearly stemmed from a minority of people, and most others were either ambivalent to very supportive.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean I would be saying a similar thing for like, K. Rool, in this regard. Everybody can remember those arguments because they were weird and bad and some people really stood by them, but they clearly stemmed from a minority of people, and most others were either ambivalent to very supportive.
I can buy that there was a lot of ambivalence but from what I just looked at again, support was either very quiet or just failed to overcome the dumb arguments until his reveal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A thought: what if we don’t get another pass

but instead, some last few individual DLC? Maybe 3 max if the 91 CSS limit is anything to go by?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
A thought: what if we don’t get another pass

but instead, some last few individual DLC? Maybe 3 max if the 91 CSS limit is anything to go by?
We'd be looking at 4, since even with Pyra/Mythra, they share a single space on the CSS. When this pass is said and done, the CSS will have room for 4 squares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom