• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
What I think I like most about Pyra/Mythra's inclusion is that it's Sakurai revisiting the two-in-one character thing that he must've been proud of when he introduced it in Melee. It's a mechanic he liked so much that he brought back for Brawl via ZSS, had to have cut in Smash 4, and never had a chance to resurrect in Ultimate. With Steve regaining a toned down version of Meta Knight's glide and now this, it's like he's bringing back some of his own favorite mechanics from past games. Again, just to make sure that nothing is left out.

Man, I cannot wait for the Sakurai Presents for this one. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside for the first time since lockdown last year haha.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I do love how our pre-Ultimate days discussion of "Decidueye, Springman, and Rex" was wrong, but in a way, also right. We got the games eventually in Smash, just.... not the characters.

I know some people feel completely whelmed in regards to FP2, but I enjoy it. It really feels like Sakurai's going back and putting in stuff that just missed the boat as a sort of final push before the new additions are done for good.

D

Deleted member

tbh Pyra was a bit of a letdown for me but I kinda figured that was gonna happen since, like I've said numerous times now, my wants are so obscure I may as well not have them ¯\(ツ)

Splatoon 3 is rad though

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Given the character voice slot dump, i bet it is safe to say this will be the character that takes up wo voice spaces. so single only characters or another 2 in one with a mute is what is left.

we are ending on an official number of 82.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with a general artstyle. That would be a ridiculous proposition. But, for example, when an interpretation gets so ridiculous that it borders on unintentional self-parody, it can become a little groan-worthy.

And I'm not just trying to pick on anime, because another example is how the 90s was basically a minefield for this in comic books.

I mean, look at this nonsense. Some people like it, some people find camp value in it, but at the very least, it's certainly understandable why it would not get by unscathed. And the same can be true of any artstyle that lodges a bit too far up its own butt, really.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Not sure how I feel about Pyra/Mythra. Definitely didn't want another sword char right after Sephiroth, in addition even though I was expecting another first party character in the game. I was expecting it near the end of the pass. Does seem like my type of character though so I'll definitely check them out.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So THAT'S what she was referring to haha, it was right in front of our eyes the whole time. Interesting how voices were recorded that far back.

That wasn't for Smash. I mean she could have been lying, but I'm taking her at her word here (I also believe it was something related to Gnomeo)

I think though it's good this post wasn't alluding to Smash, because it shows that even if they talk about Smash back then and doesn't seem like they worked on it, they still could be called in later on

Pillow

Smash Lord
Obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with a general artstyle. That would be a ridiculous proposition. But, for example, when an interpretation gets so ridiculous that it borders on unintentional self-parody, it can become a little groan-worthy.

And I'm not just trying to pick on anime, because another example is how the 90s was basically a minefield for this in comic books.

I mean, look at this nonsense. Some people like it, some people find camp value in it, but at the very least, it's certainly understandable why it would not get by unscathed. And the same can be true of any artstyle that lodges a bit too far up its own butt, really.
Mandatory Rob Liefeld Captain America

Shroob

Sup?

That wasn't for Smash. I mean she could have been lying, but I'm taking her at her word here (I also believe it was something related to Gnomeo)

I think though it's good this post wasn't alluding to Smash, because it shows that even if they talk about Smash back then and doesn't seem like they worked on it, they still could be called in later on
I mean, reminder that Grant Kirkhope basically said "lol nope" in regards to BK.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
People tell me that Smash always ends on disappointing reveals. I don't buy into that idea, but if you do that means only one more character spot left to be excited for.
I don't know about that, just because it's not a massive community favorite doesn't mean it wouldn't be a character worth getting excited for. I think that's a pretty unfortunate way to look at it. There's a vast grey area somewhere in between Crash / Dante level community hype and Gen 8 shillmon where plenty of really great characters fall.

Smash 4 ended on Bayonetta - she's hardly my favorite, but no doubt she's a character who many people were happy to see. And I mean hell, Incineroar really won me over after seeing him in action, I loved how expressive he was and quickly grew pretty attached to him.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't think the default assumption should be that people are lying, though.
agreed and I think his comment is more of an exception to anything. He was directly asked and I am pretty sure his comment was directly to get out of anything. It is a catch 22 no matter how it goes for those people. If he said no comment, people would have assumed Banjo. If he said hell no, pretty sure people would have still assumed banjo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just to note, we did have Spirits of Akuma and M. Bison, so Street Fighter has antagonists.

Not that all of the series does, of course. A lot are missing them. But that example is off.

Anyway, I hope the presentation is at a time I'm already home. Though if my mouth doesn't get better(I had surgery), I might need to take more time off. A sneeze of all things sends me into a massive amount of pain. Jeez.

kylexv

Smash Master
So THAT'S what she was referring to haha, it was right in front of our eyes the whole time. Interesting how voices were recorded that far back.

She said in a different tweet that this wasn't related to Smash

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You know it's quite a coincidence how the only 3 Spirit Upgrades we got so far are female characters. You could actually make some dumb precedents out of it if you want.
Dixie Kong, Chun-Li, Shantae, Ayumi Tachibana, and any other female spirit character fans right now:

1613617426187.png

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
myman.png

This is pretty standard, but I can't help but see this as the same Sephiroth fans went posting the same thing but with "we have three more characters to look forward to". Can't wait for June when Rillaboom's picture goes "we have one more character to look forward to."

It feels very fleeting to say the least. :239: Again, nothing bad about it, the picture I stole from twitter is true, I'm just rambling stupid ****.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Super late on this, but I think Pyra and Mythra are pretty cool additions.

Never played any of the Xenoblade games yet, so they weren't a personal want of mine, but I'm fairly pleased with their inclusion regardless.

Thinking about it, are Pyra/Mythra the first non-echo, non-alt female sword fighters on the roster? That's pretty neat.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t know why, but this reveal sort of has me bummed because it really cements the “second chances” idea. I was hoping the opportunity of a new pass would introduce a lot of new series, not just be a second chance for stuff that missed the base roster. Steve & Sephiroth are still hype, but I feel a lot of characters are off the table now which is sad.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don’t know why, but this reveal sort of has me bummed because it really cements the “second chances” idea. I was hoping the opportunity of a new pass would introduce a lot of new series, not just be a second chance for stuff that missed the base roster. Steve & Sephiroth are still hype, but I feel a lot of characters are off the table now which is sad.
Well considering that we don't even know who fits that bill, that's not really the case.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just to note, we did have Spirits of Akuma and M. Bison, so Street Fighter has antagonists.

Not that all of the series does, of course. A lot are missing them. But that example is off.
The antagonist of 3 is Gill and the antagonist of 4 is Seth, and they lack spirits. Of course SF in general has spirits of antagonists and other villainous characters, but so does Xenoblade.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really do wonder if Pokemon is a shoo-in for this pass. I mean, Nintendo asked for ARMS and Xenoblade, I'm starting to think that it wouldn't be normal if somehow Nintendo wasn't able to shill in Pokemon in this pass.

And who was the executive who was also a Sephiroth fangirl?

Shroob

Sup?
Well considering that we don't even know who fits that bill, that's not really the case.
This.

We have no idea how far back or how far forward the DLC contracts were in discussion. We know that Steve was in talks for a looooooooooong time, and that Sephiroth's trailer was made Pre-7R coming out, but that's it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The antagonist of 3 is Gill and the antagonist of 4 is Seth, and they lack spirits. Of course SF in general has spirits of antagonists and other villainous characters, but so does Xenoblade.
Oh, I must've missed the context of what you meant. My bad.

Faso115

Smash Lord
What if the next two characters mirror Steve and Sephiroth in a way?

Overthinking time: Min Min and Pyra/Mythra are female characters, spirits upgrade, first party from a game from 2017 that couldn't make it in the base roster. Their reveals also feature a popular speculated character getting sidelines in favour of them.

Now apply that logic to a Steve and Sephiroth mirror. Also they have to have fire so that random fire theory remains correct lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, the Aegis renders kinda reminded me of fan renders at first glance

I think it's the eyes. They're larger than most eyes in the game, and I feel like a lot of fan renders end up doing that too. Granted, the renders themselves are pretty darn cool, though it'd be nice if we could get separate renders too.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I guess I should post my opinions, huh?

I haven’t played amy Xenoblade games, but Pyra and Mythra’s moveset looks pretty interesting and I’m excited to see more.

The other things in the Direct that particularly interested me are Mario Golf, the Miitopia remaster (it’s cool to see that Miis are still around,) the AoC DLC (although it’s disappointing that they didn’t actually show us any of it yet,) and Splatoon 3.

D

Deleted member

If we go off the leftover idea we have Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash(?), Tales of, Chun Li, Chrono Trigger, a new Pokémon... and pretty much anybody else that just hasn’t hit the rumor mill for whatever reason. Yeah this doesn’t change much.

Shroob

Sup?
If we go off the leftover idea we have Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash(?), Tales of, Chun Li, Chrono Trigger, a new Pokémon... and pretty much anybody else that just hasn’t hit the rumor mill for whatever reason. Yeah this doesn’t change much.
Isn't the only one there that we have 100% certainty on is MH, with the rest being rumors at best?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom