• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, especially if companies decide to back out and not bring their characters back.
It's not a guaranteed situation, mind you, but a possible one. Different things can happen that cause negotiations to fall through, so even if Ultimate is ported, I don't think everyone is automatically safe.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm not an expert on the Final Fantasy fanbase or anything, but do people like Lightning? I know FF13 is very controversial game, but is Lightning herself cool character or is she kind of hated on as well?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not an expert on the Final Fantasy fanbase or anything, but do people like Lightning? I know FF13 is very controversial game, but is Lightning herself cool character or is she kind of hated on as well?
I mean she’s fun to play in Dissidia

just. People don’t like her character

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
A lot of people see her as “female Cloud but bad.” I actually played FFXIII before FFVII and have little memory of what her character was like. She wasn’t insufferable like much of FFXIII’s cast, but she wasn’t super memorable either imo.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It always felt like Square Enix loved her WAY more than the fans did.
Like she was mostly absent from XIII-2, and they called the final entry in the XIII saga "LIGHTNING RETURNS" as if trying to reassure her fanbase that the best character of all time would be front-and-center of this beloved trilogy. I really can't think of any other Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts game that has their main character in the title as the ultimate top billing.
Big takeaway is if Smash DLC started earlier, it really feels like Lightning had a serious, non-zero chance of getting into Smash.

Last edited:
Sakurai: Ya'know, I never understood why it's called Final Fantasy 7. For one thing, it's Final Fantasy, and for another, what happened to the first 6 entries?
Because the first one was going to be the company's final game. It was really successful, kept them afloat, and spawned a series with an unfortunate name.

Edit: I just realized this was probably supposed to be a joke.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, since Disney is now wants more people to start using their I.Ps in videogames, maybe they will also be Down for Kingdom Hearts Dissida, like how Dissida was intially supposed to be

Especially if those rumors of Disney wanting Mickey in Smash are true, since it would show they are down with Disney characters fighting (along with that mobile game)

Otoad64

Smash Lord
You know, since Disney is now wants more people to start using their I.Ps in videogames, maybe they will also be Down for Kingdom Hearts Dissida, like how Dissida was intially supposed to be

Especially if those rumors of Disney wanting Mickey in Smash are true, since it would show they are down with Disney characters fighting (along with that mobile game)
imagine the parallel universe where Mickey is CP9 lol

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Hi *****es, time for this week's episode of Weedpost That's Tangentially Related To One Or Two Of The Current Subjects In This Thread:

Honestly, I have to admit: I've genuinely got no clue who I think is next. The one-two punch of Steve and Sephiroth has completely fried my brain: I am now unable to have any solid gut feelings or predictions, I can only speak in individually judging characters and "this would be cool"'s now. ****, man, I don't think there's anyone I'd rate higher than a 50% at this point.

But this only tangentially relates to the main point I wanted to make today, which has to do with how we were talking about how each one of us saw Crash's chances, and honestly I feel like there's this vibe of "overstatement" to some Crash discussion. Not necessarily that people overrate his chances as many here have already expressed, but moreso that I've seen people here talk about how Crash is just this absolutely perfect match and it'd be CRAZY and a HUGE missed opportunity if he didn't make it in now and HOW has he not made it yet and all, and yeah I feel like these people are overexaggerating a bit. Crash defo makes sense but IMO it's not mindblowing that he hasn't WOAH'd his way in yet.

Basically, like: Crash is big. He makes a lotta sense. He has a very good case in his favor IMO. But I get it that he hasn't happened yet and I'll understand if he doesn't make it now, because sometimes, characters who make perfect sense and have everything going for them just.....don't make it in. And that's normal. Because they can't cram everyone in. As of this writing, we only have 3 characters left and lord knows they won't all be big names, so sometimes some characters that just feel like these natural fits simply slip through the cracks. And that ties into the beginning of this post, because this is one of the reasons why I don't feel super comfortable going "oh yeah this character's definitely making it in IMO", because sometimes these obvious picks just don't make it in anyway.

TL;DR Crash has a very solid case and I get why people think he's happening, but it's not this baffling travesty if he doesn't
I get and respect your opinion and your perfectly right there's the possibility that Crash Bandicoot can just completely miss the boat or just wasn't selected.

But on the subject on "why Crash hasn't made it in?"

Obviously "Smash 64" (1999) and "Melee" (2001) it couldn't happen because it was all 1st party and Crash Bandicoot was a still a Playstation character/exclusive.

"Brawl" (2008) saw the debut of 2 big 3rd party's in Sonic the Hedgehog and Snake, But while Crash was somewhat still around, He was past his prime with underwhelming games.

"Smash Wii U" (2014), The Crash Bandicoot franchise was dead in the water.

"Ultimate" (2018-21?), Crash Bandicoot was finally brought back after nearly a decade in hibernation with "N.Sane Trilogy" (2017-18), "CTR: Nitro Fueled" (2019) and "Crash 4: It's About Time" (2020) with a Switch port very much likely in the works for sometime this year.

I can see why Crash Bandicoot hasn't made it in past Smash games, But there is reason that not just here in "SmashBoards" he's seen as a popular and obvious pick in Polls, Youtube, Game journalist/Websites etc.

Being under the spotlight again and having his biggest precense on Nintendo consoles more than ever before. Most can agree including Nintendo and Activision themselves that there really is no better time for Crash Bandicoot to join Super Smash Bros than right now.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Spyro the Dragon.

Everyone else is bettin on the orange bandicoot... I'll bet on the purple dragon, and if I win, then all the people who bet orange bandicoot will owe me a lot of money I mean uhhhhhh.... we'll all get along peacefully and NOT steal each other's Burger King meals.
Honestly, Spyro would be way more interesting than Crash to me. I like his design better (including how I think it'd be more interesting to include another non-bipedal character), his skillset is more interesting (though only slightly), I like his characters and locations better, and I have more nostalgia for him (though in a kinda weird way). Only area Crash beats Spyro in my book is in music.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I get and respect your opinion and your perfectly right there's the possibility that Crash Bandicoot can just completely miss the boat or just wasn't selected.

But on the subject on "why Crash hasn't made it in?"

Obviously "Smash 64" (1999) and "Melee" (2001) it couldn't happen because it was all 1st party and Crash Bandicoot was a still a Playstation character/exclusive.

"Brawl" (2008) saw the debut of 2 big 3rd party's in Sonic the Hedgehog and Snake, But while Crash was somewhat still around, He was past his prime with underwhelming games.

"Smash Wii U" (2014), The Crash Bandicoot franchise was dead in the water.

"Ultimate" (2018-21?), Crash Bandicoot was finally revived revived after nearly a decade in hibernation with "N.Sane Trilogy" (2017-18), "CTR: Nitro Fueled" (2019) and "Crash 4: It's About Time" (2020) with a Switch port very much likely in the works for sometime this year.

I can see why Crash Bandicoot hasn't made it in past Smash games, But there is reason that not just here in "SmashBoards" he's seen as a popular and obvious pick in Polls, Youtube, Game journalist/Websites etc.

Being under the spotlight again and having his biggest precense on Nintendo consoles more than ever before. Most can agree that there is no better time for Crash Bandicoot to join Super Smash Bros than right now.
Melee isn't a great example though. Sakurai was asked to put in Sonic and Snake and denied them because it was too late to add them. He had no qualms about the 3rd party factor whatsoever. Sonic also had no Nintendo appearances yet(a key thing to keep in mind too). Remember, he actually considered James Bond of all characters. At that point, his 3rd party thoughts were about licensing issues, not any particular kind of "rules" of who should be in or not. The most he's said otherwise(and this isn't till at least Brawl and 4) is something that's often treated like "iconic" and "appearing on Nintendo would be something of a courtesy", acknowledging that them being known does play some role, but also that them being on a Nintendo system can be useful for adding them in. It's not a requirement, but it would obviously help licensing as is. Companies working together again is not uncommon anyway.

Though the PlayStation Exclusive part does matter somewhat. Not on Sakurai's part so much as "wouldn't be put on other systems at that point for any kind of appearance" instead. Since we know he really doesn't care about console wars. But yeah, Crash had no real chance for Melee for the same reasons Snake nor Sonic did; not enough time for him to be added(but also cause he was asked to be put in by the creators/owners either. At least, that we could know of).

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Because you guys speak of VAs let me ask on your opinion on these Va Topics

1st. How do you find it that Goku is voiced by a Woman in japanese

2nd. What do you think of Smash Meta knight

3rd. Do you think that Zeldas german Botw voice is better than her English one
I don't know about german... But overall I liked more the voice over of BOTW in latino spanish than english. English wasn't bad, it was just... Ok. I was surprised by the quality of the latino dub though, (although I still played it 95% in japanese)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Melee isn't a great example though. Sakurai was asked to put in Sonic and Snake and denied them because it was too late to add them. He had no qualms about the 3rd party factor whatsoever. Sonic also had no Nintendo appearances yet(a key thing to keep in mind too). Remember, he actually considered James Bond of all characters. At that point, his 3rd party thoughts were about licensing issues, not any particular kind of "rules" of who should be in or not. The most he's said otherwise is something that's often treated like "iconic" and "appearing on Nintendo would be something of a courtesy", acknowledging that them being known does play some role, but also that them being on a Nintendo system can be useful for adding them in. It's not a requirement, but it would obviously help licensing as is. Companies working together again is not uncommon anyway.

Though the PlayStation Exclusive part does matter somewhat. Not on Sakurai's part so much as "wouldn't be put on other systems at that point for any kind of appearance" instead. Since we know he really doesn't care about console wars. But yeah, Crash had no real chance for Melee for the same reasons Snake nor Sonic did; not enough time for him to be added(but also cause he was asked to be put in by the creators/owners either. At least, that we could know of).
I know what you mean, But I'm just stating that Crash Bandicoot didn't really have a shot in past Smash games or was taken seriously enough, 3rd Party's didn't get really serious consideration until Post-Brawl.

All I'm saying is with the current state of the Crash Bandicoot franchise and a lot of the big names already in Smash, It's no reason why he is viewed as such a popular choice and seen as a serious contender.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know what you mean, But I'm just stating that Crash Bandicoot didn't really have a shot in past Smash games or was taken seriously enough, 3rd Party's didn't get really serious consideration until Post-Brawl.

All I'm saying is with the current state of the Crash Bandicoot franchise and a lot of the big names already in Smash, It's no reason why he is such a popular and obvious choice and viewed as a serious contender.
Eh, I'd say they were seriously considered as soon as Melee, but it just wasn't plausible due to different situations. Brawl obviously considered them.

I agree he wasn't in a good position, but as you said, he took a while to be a non-exclusive too, which easily matters.

I think he's in a strong spot now, though. Nintendo(maybe only of America, though) at least considers him an icon.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Melee isn't a great example though. Sakurai was asked to put in Sonic and Snake and denied them because it was too late to add them. He had no qualms about the 3rd party factor whatsoever. Sonic also had no Nintendo appearances yet(a key thing to keep in mind too). Remember, he actually considered James Bond of all characters.
No he didn't lol, I wish people would stop saying this.

None of this sounds like he was "actually considered". Sakurai just listed out all the reasons he was completely impossible.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Sakurai said that any character was on the table so long as they had valid big video game roles, how would you react?

My reaction would be to immediately simp for Godzilla.
Honestly, I don't think it would change much. It'd mostly make Sora completely unquestionable, and allow for Geralt, and a character from Marvel Vs. Capcom.

SKX31

Smash Master
All our memes of "THEY ADDED MARIO IN THE GAME!!!!" would be pretty damn funny in hindsight. :4pacman:
we would be saying that unironically when Mario is added as DLC :4pacman:
People would definetely not be ready for Mario's FORWARD AERIAL:

They never are. :p

If Sakurai said that any character was on the table so long as they had valid big video game roles, how would you react?

My reaction would be to immediately simp for Godzilla.
Honestly, that would not be a bad idea if they ever decided to go down the 4th party route. Of course "Big video game role" can and would likely be vague, but it would still provide a kinda reasonable limit to things.

Shrek would become too powerful.
I mean, this game is proof enough that Shrek deserves to get in:

1612664691969.jpeg

:4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom