• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've been thinking about MK music for a Scorpion reveal trailer (if he ever get in as a fighter). I used to think that the MK movie theme wouldn't be suitable for his reveal trailer (because it's a movie theme, duh), and then... Sephiroth get in with his AC theme, and it's also avaible in the game.

The irony is, the most iconic and recognizable MK song is not from a game.

Now i'm even more convinced. If Scorpion get in, this has to be his reveal trailer theme:

The Better Version:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I really do think if Scorpion gets in, then people will start to talk more about characters from other controversial games such as CJ or other franchises in Japan that don't sell such as Spyro.

Edit: Originally put COD for "Franchises that don't sell in Japan" yet it apparently does well over there for a western franchise.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about MK music for a Scorpion reveal trailer (if he ever get in as a fighter). I used to think that the MK movie theme wouldn't be suitable for his reveal trailer (because it's a movie theme, duh), and then... Sephiroth get in with his AC theme, and it's also avaible in the game.

Now i'm even more convinced. If Scorpion get in, this has to be his reveal trailer theme:

Honestly, MK has very few recognizable music tracks for how many games there are. The Neatherrealm games in particular have laughable soundtracks, especially when compared to literally any other fighting game released in the past ten years.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I really do think if Scorpion gets in, then people will start to talk more about characters from other controversial games such as CJ or other unpopular franchises in Japan such as COD.
And by then I think they'll get shut down because whenever Smash sets a new precedent, it proceeds to go back and just do something different the next time around.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I really do think if Scorpion gets in, then people will start to talk more about characters from other controversial games such as CJ or other unpopular franchises in Japan such as COD.
It’s basically a cycle as to what characters are talked about. Like with Sephiroth, I see lots of Eggman suggestions and second series reps in general.
That said, there usually isn’t a pattern, it’s all about business relations and “Hey here’s a good character idea!”

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, MK has very few recognizable music tracks for how many games there are. The Neatherrealm games in particular have laughable soundtracks, especially when compared to literally any other fighting game released in the past ten years.
Apparently the composer is on that same nonsense some Hollywood suits are where they don’t want the soundtrack to be “distracting” from the action.

Edit: Dynamedion is the name of the company that has that ideal I believe.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Last time I checked, Call of Duty was one of the few Western franchises that actually sells in Japan.
I think because in Japan Square Enix published a few of the games? I’ll have to check that one out but I know COD4 is decently popular over there.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Apparently the composer is on that same nonsense some Hollywood suits are where they don’t want the soundtrack to be “distracting” from the action.
I find that highly amusing, seeing as I'm one of those guys who sync up the fight scenes in my head to whatever music I'm listening to. Seeing as I've always got music playing in another window, that's... Pretty much all the time.

So yeah. Bring on the most distinctive melodies you can get.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And now I just realized that I don't even remember there being any music playing when watching or playing the games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Edit: Dynamedion is the name of the company that has that ideal I believe.
Yeah they turned down Mick Gordon for MK11 as if he didn't put out the best fighting game soundtrack with KI 2013.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

This would be the only choice. It’s MK only notable piece of music. There’s some decent tracks in the original games (UMK3’s Subway in particular), but that series has always been lacking when it comes to music. I love MK, but that’s easily my biggest complaint about it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
MK Soundtracks are not as Iconic as tracks from Street Fighter, Tekken, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, etc

What I will say is that from MK1-MK Armageddon, The Music had that Majestic, Ancient, Dark vibe to it that fit the tone of the series around that point. It wasn't something that you could bop to as easily as other Fighting game soundtracks, but within the Games themselves they really established this kind of world Mortal Kombat was around the time. It was like a Dark Bliss if that makes any sense, and I think in the context of Smash it would be something very refreshing to listen too

I'd say starting perhaps with MK9, but definitely continuing with MKX, the soundtracks have become more Hollywood, which is what the Series has been going towards since Netherrealm took over.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
MK Soundtracks are not as Iconic as tracks from Street Fighter, Tekken, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, etc

What I will say is that from MK1-MK Armageddon, The Music had that Majestic, Ancient, Dark vibe to it that fit the tone of the series around that point. It wasn't something that you could bop to as easily as other Fighting game soundtracks, but within the Games themselves they really established this kind of world Mortal Kombat was around the time. It was like a Dark Bliss if that makes any sense, and I think in the context of Smash it would be something very refreshing to listen too

I'd say starting perhaps with MK9, but definitely continuing with MKX, the soundtracks have become more Hollywood, which is what the Series has been going towards since Netherrealm took over.
It's weird because big sweeping orchestra music can be epic, but when games do it it's like...

The song isn't bad, but it lacks any sort of oomph and just melts into the rest of the Marvel inspired OST.

7NATOR

Smash Master
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Trevor Philips from GTA5 ended up being a DLC fighter?
Very Very Shocked, but also hoping that Trevor isn't the only one Protag, as a GTA Protag would be one of the cases where Alts of other Characters would work really well

It's weird because big sweeping orchestra music can be epic, but when games do it it's like...

The song isn't bad, but it lacks any sort of oomph and just melts into the rest of the Marvel inspired OST.
On the topic of Disney and Big Sweeping Orchestra music, Would Kingdom Hearts largely be considered to have orchestra music? If so that's one series that has Epic Orchestra music

7NATOR

Smash Master
From the few songs I've heard, not at all. They don't really use any instruments that I'm familiar with anyway.
Might I ask what it would be classified as, Since I'm not really sure what category Kingdom Hears Music goes into if it's not Orchestral sounding and such?

Pillow

Smash Lord
Very Very Shocked, but also hoping that Trevor isn't the only one Protag, as a GTA Protag would be one of the cases where Alts of other Characters would work really well
Yeah there wouldn't really be any reason not to do this. All the GTA main characters are just dudes with guns and cars. They wouldn't have any voice lines in Smash anyway because Smash is for good boys and girls.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where Trevor Philips from GTA5 ended up being a DLC fighter?
I like Trevor Philips so i wouldn't mind him but I see his moveset being pretty basic, like "A real Human being taken from real life, given some weapons and put into Smash Bros" kind of basic.

Though it would be awesome to see Los Santos as a travelling stage.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
On the topic of Disney and Big Sweeping Orchestra music, Would Kingdom Hearts largely be considered to have orchestra music? If so that's one series that has Epic Orchestra music
I'd definitely describe Kingdom Hearts music as orchestral, but it has a strong emphasis on melody that really sets it apart from "Hollywood music".

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd say yes, though depending in where you look the themes mix in a couple non-orchestral instruments.
ahemtoday ahemtoday described it really well; It emphasizes the melody rather than just having the music be background noise, so it stands out and doesn't fall into the "bland generic orchestra" issue.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah they turned down Mick Gordon for MK11 as if he didn't put out the best fighting game soundtrack with KI 2013.
Wow, I am depressed now.

But yeah, it’s weird because some of the Menu themes and music in the story mode cutscenes are pretty banger worthy and then the gameplay you might as well be playing with the soundtrack muted.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Might I ask what it would be classified as, Since I'm not really sure what category Kingdom Hears Music goes into if it's not Orchestral sounding and such?
Dunno. Seems pretty distinctive to me.

Yeah there wouldn't really be any reason not to do this. All the GTA main characters are just dudes with guns and cars. They wouldn't have any voice lines in Smash anyway because Smash is for good boys and girls.
lol I think they could find a way to vocalize in character without them swearing. Though the idea of a character who curses every single time they're hit is pretty funny.

I like Trevor Philips so i wouldn't mind him but I see his moveset being pretty basic, like "A real Human being taken from real life, given some weapons and put into Smash Bros" kind of basic.

Though it would be awesome to see Los Santos as a travelling stage.
I still think they should be able to yoink items from their opponents via some sort of command grab, be it an actual in-game item that they're holding like the Beam Sword, an item that they have a lot of like Sheik's needles, or an item that it would make sense for them to have but they don't actually use like Captain Falcon's gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom