• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not the most well versed in Koei-Techmo franchises but I'm wondering if another one of their characters could get in instead of Ryu. I know he is very iconic though.
According to the Atelier director, we’re not getting an Atelier rep so that’s out

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not the most well versed in Koei-Techmo franchises but I'm wondering if another one of their characters could get in instead of Ryu. I know he is very iconic though.
There’s quite a few that could, actually. The Dynasty or Samurai Warriors characters, William from Nioh, another DOA character besides Hayabusa, or even an Atelier character like Ryza.

Only problem there is that they all have their own reasons for not being in. DOA would likely still choose either Hayabusa or Kasumi but it seems unlikely they’d choose Kasumi when Hayabusa is much more recognizable, Warriors has so many characters that differ in popularity and recognizability and if you want to think the fact that they’re historic figures is a problem then there’s that, Nioh is PlayStation exclusive and thus people feel like William is unlikely although Nioh is fully owned by KT, and Atelier is rather niche in the west and Ryza is really new but is also the most popular and has gained traction in the west.

And now if we want to say Hayabusa has something keeping him out then it’ll be no NEW game on the horizon. Even still the Sigma Trilogy is supposedly happening there. So this makes Hayabusa the big “why hasn’t he made it in” character.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Kasumi from Dead or Alive has been used for many crossovers in the past and has appeared on Nintendo consoles. She's someone I'd consider a potential KT mascot alongside Ryu Hayabusa.

Lu Bu from the very successful Dynasty Warriors series is another option, but as he's based on a book based on real life people, he's potentially not an option despite the Warriors series success.

Other options include Monster Rancher, which much like Digimon, started as a video game series before getting famous from it's anime. There's also the half Nintendo owned Fatal Frame, but many think this is unlikely due to the Fatal Frame assist trophy.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
There’s quite a few that could, actually. The Dynasty or Samurai Warriors characters, William from Nioh, another DOA character besides Hayabusa, or even an Atelier character like Ryza.

Only problem there is that they all have their own reasons for not being in. DOA would likely still choose either Hayabusa or Kasumi but it seems unlikely they’d choose Kasumi when Hayabusa is much more recognizable, Warriors has so many characters that differ in popularity and recognizability and if you want to think the fact that they’re historic figures is a problem then there’s that, Nioh is PlayStation exclusive and thus people feel like William is unlikely although Nioh is fully owned by KT, and Atelier is rather niche in the west and Ryza is really new but is also the most popular and has gained traction in the west.

And now if we want to say Hayabusa has something keeping him out then it’ll be no NEW game on the horizon. Even still the Sigma Trilogy is supposedly happening there. So this makes Hayabusa the big “why hasn’t he made it in” character.
Don't forget the fact that Nioh suffers the same problem as Dynasty Warriors as well. Both use real historical characters and their stories are based upon actual historical events (Yes, William Adams was a real person). They're both in this weird grey zone.

I'm honestly fine with it because well, I want Geralt and it'd be pretty hypocritical to think a video game character based upon a real book is legible while characters based upon real human beings would be not. They both have origins that stem outside of video games in the end. And honestly, this case can already be made from Dracula appearing as a boss.

I guess we'll just have to see, if one of those gets in it'd open the gates even more for the possibility of the other.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Since Hyrule warriors is dead, yeah Hayabusa is in if Koei Tecmo Character gets in. Maybe he and Kasumi will pull a Simon/Richter, but Haybusa is absolutely the main alt.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
With Ryu Hayabusa's series now inactive but Ryu himself being relegated to crossover appearances, Ryu Hayabusa's position is somewhat similar to KOS-MOS or Morrigan. However I do think Ryu Hayabusa is more likely than those two due to Ninja Gaiden being larger than Xenosaga or Darkstalkers.
Maybe her and Hayabusa could be Costume Swaps, borrowing moves from each other like Simon and Richter.
No, they don't play anything alike.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With Ryu Hayabusa's series now inactive but Ryu himself being relegated to crossover appearances, Ryu Hayabusa's position is somewhat similar to KOS-MOS or Morrigan. However I do think Ryu Hayabusa is more likely than those two due to Ninja Gaiden being larger than Xenosaga or Darkstalkers.

He's also been less dormant.

His last game being 2014 whereas the last Darkstalkers and Xenosaga being 1998 (Unless you count the 2013 HD remastered trilogy) and 2006.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
With Ryu Hayabusa's series now inactive but Ryu himself being relegated to crossover appearances, Ryu is in a similar but better position than Morrigan or KOS-MOS.
I'd say that he's like in the middle moreso helped by his "mascot" status from a pretty small game studio, unlike Bamco and Capcom.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice

On the subject of Morrigan, I've been playing a ton of Darkstalkers 3 lately. She would be such a cool character for Smash... but that's never going to happen, unfortunately.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The Main thing Hayabusa has going for him is the Nintendo Connection, which in combination with the Moveset Potential and Mascot Status, makes him extremely likely ON TOP of how Hyrule Warriors, his only real competition, was Deconfirmed, and heck even a potentially credible leak. I think he's 90% in, and unless he gets Mii'd and/or gets a Spirit Event, I'm going to always keep Hayabusa on my Predictions.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Basically, it seems that Hayabusa's main perks are A: His status as an NES icon, B: His status as a Koei-Tecmo icon, and C: Koei-Tecmo's closeness to Nintendo. Pretty decent, but not enough to really catch my eye. After all, Ubisoft got all buddy-buddy with Nintendo and their big games got everything but playable status (Except the Prince of Persia... Hmm...). I'm a bit hesitant to hop on board a "hot topic" character just yet.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget the fact that Nioh suffers the same problem as Dynasty Warriors as well. Both use real historical characters and their stories are based upon actual historical events (Yes, William Adams was a real person). They're both in this weird grey zone.

I'm honestly fine with it because well, I want Geralt and it'd be pretty hypocritical to think a video game character based upon a real book is legible while characters based upon real human beings would be not. They both have origins that stem outside of video games in the end. And honestly, this case can already be made from Dracula appearing as a boss.

I guess we'll just have to see, if one of those gets in it'd open the gates even more for the possibility of the other.
Dr. Kawashima for Smash!

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Basically, it seems that Hayabusa's main perks are A: His status as an NES icon, B: His status as a Koei-Tecmo icon, and C: Koei-Tecmo's closeness to Nintendo. Pretty decent, but not enough to really catch my eye. After all, Ubisoft got all buddy-buddy with Nintendo and their big games got everything but playable status (Except the Prince of Persia... Hmm...). I'm a bit hesitant to hop on board a "hot topic" character just yet.
Then again, Koei Tecmo is also Japanese, and has an Assist Trophy and no Mii's. Which are also things heavily in his favor, considering how long Steve took, with Steve taking as long as he did probably being the only reason Banjo & Kazooie were finalized.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
You guys are talkin Dead or Alive? NOW YOU'RE TALKIN MY LANGUAGE HAHAHAHA

Yeah man, I'd love if they picked Kasumi and such. I'm not gonna kid myself, if Koei Tecmo's getting a game, it's Hayabusa, but that's what I've been saying maaaaaaaaan. If he gets in, then TECHNICALLY DOA is repped courtesy of him and his repeat DOA appearances.

So hopefully he brings some DOA music or something with him. Bring some of the girls as Spirits in his Spirit Board or something. Even if his representation is primarily "Ninja Gaiden"

Crank some of that music sky high in Smash maaaaaaaan you'd have my vote

The Nameless Go Mad would be boss to have.

Kasumi, Hitomi, my main girl Mila... so many great characters in DOA maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Kasumi could totally have her new 6 outfit too
DOA6_Beta_Kasumi_C1.jpg

But yeah, Hayabusa OR Kasumi, you have my vote, I'd be a HAPPY BOY with either of them
EjrpQDyXgAEh9BV.jpg

Firox

Smash Master
Given the the long cycle of speculation about Hayabusa and the history of Smash curveballs in relation to predictions I'm almost expecting him to randomly appear as a Mii costume at some point.
My thoughts exactly. The fact that Hayabusa was one of the first "insider leaks" yet still hasn't showed up leads me to believe he was one of the many leak baits out there. Granted there is a chance that he ends up like Steve and just had a really long negotiation cycle but considering how close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are, I highly doubt it.

Firox

Smash Master
I think it's worth noting the pattern we've seen when it comes to DLC newcomers thus far:

-PP (Ranged brawler-as in, brawler with mild to strong zoning elements)
-Joker (brawler-as in, non-swordie/non-zoner)
-Hero (swordie)
-BK (ranged brawler)
-Terry (brawler)
-Byleth (swordie)
-Min Min (ranged brawler)
-Steve (brawler)
-Sephiroth (swordie)

This leads me to believe that the next character will be either a ranged brawler or actually be our first gunner-type character (which we've been suspiciously missing). If we have any more swordies this pass, they will be fighter #10 or 11 and we will likely only get one more.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's worth noting the pattern we've seen when it comes to DLC newcomers thus far:

-PP (Ranged brawler-as in, brawler with mild to strong zoning elements)
-Joker (brawler-as in, non-swordie/non-zoner)
-Hero (swordie)
-BK (ranged brawler)
-Terry (brawler)
-Byleth (swordie)
-Min Min (ranged brawler)
-Steve (brawler)
-Sephiroth (swordie)

This leads me to believe that the next character will be either a ranged brawler or actually be our first gunner-type character (which we've been suspiciously missing). If we have any more swordies this pass, they will be fighter #10 or 11 and we will likely only get one more.
What if... hybrid swordie-gunner? Like they she have both sword and gun type weapons in their moveset

I have two characters in mind for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom