• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think if Geno Deconfirmation and the Mario tournament does suggest no new Mario character, it would seem the Pattern of only 1 New Unique and/or 1 New Echo per franchise in this game might be a real thing

Splatoon: Unique
Mario: Unique and Echo
Metroid: Unique and Echo
Castlevania: Unique and Echo
Fire Emblem: Unique and Echo
Donkey Kong: Unique
Animal Crossing: Unique
Street Fighter: Echo
Pokemon: Unique
Final Fantasy: Unique
Persona: Unique
Dragon Quest: Unique
Banjo & Kazooie: Unique
Fatal Fury: Unique
ARMS: Unique
Minecraft Unique

These are all the Franchises that got Newcomers in this game. Street Fighter is the only Franchise to only get an Echo but no New Character (But Ken is the most unique echo). Franchises at most have gotten 1 New unique character and a Echo fighter

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I do think we'll see a fighter from something coming out this year, probably from the first half. Not knowing what games are coming makes the guesswork more difficult, but that's the only real prediction I have. It might be interesting to make a list of long-running Nintendo series that seem due for a release soon.

What I've got:
Kirby - It hasn't seen a lot of activity lately other than the little fighting game.
2D Metroid - We got a remake on 3DS and the developer of that game hasn't released anything since that year.
something Monolith Soft - They have multiple studios, some of which have been working on projects for a while. It could be Zelda, it could be that new IP.
Pokemon - Their last mainline title was late 2019, so we could see something this year, though personally I'd guess later in the year if it happens.
Mario - There's always more Mario. Also, Cat World rerelease.
Zelda - Already touched on it, but it's been almost 4 years since BotW, so BotW 2 should be soonish. Also the series has been annual in some fashion for a bit.
Fire Emblem - If and only if it's a remake.

Any thoughts? Anything I missed? Is there something there you'd really like to see get some Smash content?
There was also that 3D Kirby thing in Kirby Fighters 2's code, though why it's there is something I'll have to double-check. Still, this is the first time we haven't had a new mainline Kirby game two years after the last one, so I think a new Kirby game coming up soon is a safe bet

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 299552
View attachment 299553
View attachment 299554

I'd bet money on it. The first thing I think about when I think "Soul Calibur" is Nightmare and his giant meat sword.
Plus he comes with the bonus of being a heavy but nimble villain character with an unconventional fighting style so from a variety perspective he's all the more enticing.

I would personally place Ivy and her whip-sword as a close second for being the likely Soul Calibur rep, though I feel she's got a few "issues" going against her.
Ivy is popular but a second place Soul Calibur character has to go to Siegfried. That is unless he’s an Alternate Costume for Nightmare. Siegfried is the Ken to Nightmare’s Ryu. Except they’re sometimes the same person.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ivy is popular but a second place Soul Calibur character has to go to Siegfried. That is unless he’s an Alternate Costume for Nightmare. Siegfried is the Ken to Nightmare’s Ryu. Except they’re sometimes the same person.
Yeah Sieg is the Ken in this scenario, but I personally don't know if they'd go for Sieg if they wouldn't go for Nightmare. Like if we ignored Ryu would they go for Ken or Chun-Li. The two seem like a package deal to me.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah Sieg is the Ken in this scenario, but I personally don't know if they'd go for Sieg if they wouldn't go for Nightmare. Like if we ignored Ryu would they go for Ken or Chun-Li. The two seem like a package deal to me.
Well that’s a good point but if that were the case I’d guess Mitsurugi since that dude is al over Soul Calibur marketing. He and Nightmare are like the main ones. Ivy and Taki are probably the go to female characters tho.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The one year anniversary of these reveals.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Byleth Reveal Trailer - YouTube
Byleth Recruits ...Byleth! by CherryR95 on DeviantArt

For all the controversy it may have gotten, it was, however, the last reveal we got before everything went into lockdown hell. I can't deny I at least have some nostalgia for those precious first few months of 2020 before everyone's non-online social life went to sh**. They were technically the last DLC characters that we got to experience at large in person Smash gatherings too.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I didn't know there were bad ass Pokemon in Gen 4... badass Pokemon yes, but not bad ass Pokemon.

There is a couple ass Pokemon, but they're in Gen 7, and I'm not super sure that I'd consider them to be bad
View attachment 299548View attachment 299549

But... in any situation... if we do get a Gen 4 Pokemon, I vote Croagunk. Delightfull little creeper sittin there lookin at his reflection, occasionally poisoning his own trainer but mainly just creepin everyone out by sitting there
View attachment 299551
He's just hunched over there... Menacingly.

I love how Pichu, Clefa and Igglybuff are looking at Croagunk and going like "What the hell is that thing?"

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Now that this thread is on the subject of a potential Pokémon rep for the 34543th time, let me get something off of my chest for a bit regarding Pokémon in Smash...

Man!! I would have really liked it if there were more Human characters from Pokémon represented in Smash. Like seriously, where the hell are all the iconic professors, rivals, villains and champions from each game? I guess it's already something that some of those characters are represented through the music somehow, but at least not one of them being a Spirit seriously confuses me. Red... Oh wait I mean "Pokémon Trainer"... is the only kind of representation we have on this matter, and he doesn't even have a proper spirit.

It's just a bummer really.
Yeah, I wish we at least got a few Trainer + Mon Spirits. Like "Cynthia & Garchomp" or "Steven & Metagross".

Somewhat curiously looking forward to it, I have kind of always heard about MOBAS before on PC and in recent years Mobile and wondered what the big deal it is with them, But I have always been a console gamer and personally don't find the popular ones you always hear about appealing from a setting and style stand point.

But If it has Pokemon in it, Then you got my attention.
Honestly? Considering how it seems to be focused on faster matches and the mechanics are more appealing to casuals, I'd say people like you are exactly the audience they're trying to pull in, moreso than traditional MOBA fans.

Anyone who thinks Pokemon is still in play because only 7 Pokemon were in the Spirit Event has completely missed the point of why DLC Spirits disconfirm.

Leon Kennedy isn't disconfirmed because there's a png of him. That's an absurd notion. You could still totally make a pack out of him, there's clearly other Spirits that he could bring. And that applies to every game or series that had a Spirit Event.

It's not a matter of being on the Spirit Event, it's a matter of the Spirit Event existing at all. Think of the timeline here. Fighters have been decided a while ago, while Spirit Events are probably worked on shortly before they release. Therefore Spirit Events are decided knowing what fighters are going to be in the pass. And so, comes the question. If the Spirit team knows that, say, Officer Howard is coming down the line, then why would they make a Spirit Event? It's redundant, it makes the actual pack feel less fresh, and from a promotional perspective it makes no sense, a Spirit Event won't make a dent sales-wise compared to the fighter that they know they're making down the line. If timing was that big a deal then the fighter would, y'know, release when they need it to.

I find it pretty astonishing when people miss that, because it means that someone just went "oh it's a Spirit? Guess it's not playable now" without considering why that makes sense. Makes about as much sense as thinking that Heihachi can't be a fighter purely because he's a Mii Costume and not, you know, when that Mii Costume was made.
True, and to be fair if we got a third season, it would even be considered fair to assume these series would be back in the running (Astral Chain, Ring Fit, SwSh, RE, etc).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What's great about Nightmare is that he holds yet another one of videogames most iconic swords. And the SC series started out with its name, Soul Edge.

I would just love to see a SC inspired trailer.
Not to mention, the Classic Mode ought to feel like a very close recreation of his arcade mode.

Oh, just remembered theres a unique parry mechanic in SC where the player pushes the opponent back when clashing weapons.

And there's also the hit that spins opponents around.

These HAVE to be part of his moveset if he got in.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think if Geno Deconfirmation and the Mario tournament does suggest no new Mario character, it would seem the Pattern of only 1 New Unique and/or 1 New Echo per franchise in this game might be a real thing
I don't like that pattern.

I like the other pattern where a franchise gets more than one unique newcomer.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Well that’s a good point but if that were the case I’d guess Mitsurugi since that dude is al over Soul Calibur marketing. He and Nightmare are like the main ones. Ivy and Taki are probably the go to female characters tho.
Sophitia's pretty high up there, too. She and Mitsurugi were the first ones developed for Soul Calibur 6, in fact.
I don't think it's that obvious. Mitsurugi also appears in several of the series' covers and is usually the one pitted against the guest characters.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
In the same vein as what 7NATOR did a bit ago, how would you feel if these were the new DLC?
Phoenix Wright
Lloyd Irving or Yuri
A promotional pick from Pokemon
Similarly, these are my predictions.
if it was Pheonix, Yuri and NO pokemon, id be happy

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The one year anniversary of these reveals.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Byleth Reveal Trailer - YouTube
Byleth Recruits ...Byleth! by CherryR95 on DeviantArt

For all the controversy it may have gotten, it was, however, the last reveal we got before everything went into lockdown hell. I can't deny I at least have some nostalgia for those precious first few months of 2020 before everyone's non-online social life went to sh**. They were technically the last DLC characters that we got to experience at large in person Smash gatherings too.
And hilariously enough given the dead silence from people at Nintendo New York store, the one that ended up likely being the most anti-climatic DLC character (barring maybe Plant) in Ultimate.

Honestly a year later, my feelings haven't really changed. Byleth is fairly enjoyable fighter to play as, but I still maintain they did everything wrong with their reveal; from the dubious placement as the last in the first pass, the lack of notable Smash news besides their showcase, the poorly paced trailer, and the unfortunate choice to make them them a mystery reveal, thus making the news fall even flatter for many that it would have done otherwise.

In the long term they're a solid addition in Smash, but given how badly the execution of their reveal was, it serves as the most prominent example in how not to show off a character. The one upside is that its unlikely any future fighter will ever get receive that level of antipathy, if only because enough fans learned from this to keep expectations in check.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And hilariously enough given the dead silence from people at Nintendo New York store, likely the most anti-climatic DLC character (barring maybe Plant) in Ultimate.
And they were the last characters we got to see Nintendo New York reactions to as well. I would have loved to see their reactions to the characters we've gotten since.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
And they were the last characters we got to see Nintendo New York reactions to as well. I would have loved to see their reactions to the characters we've gotten since.
Steve and Sephiroth would have been spectacular to see.

Hopefully the Pandemic can be controlled well enough (with the vacines and all that, along with safe protocals) that perhaps we could at least get one more Nintendo New York reaction

And I just realized, we've not gotten a Nintendo New York reaction for any of the characters in FP2

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Ivander

Smash Legend
And hilariously enough given the dead silence from people at Nintendo New York store, the one that ended up likely being the most anti-climatic DLC character (barring maybe Plant) in Ultimate.

Honestly a year later, my feelings haven't really changed. Byleth is fairly enjoyable fighter to play as, but I still maintain they did everything wrong with their reveal; from the dubious placement as the last in the first pass, the lack of notable Smash news besides their showcase, the poorly paced trailer, and the unfortunate choice to make them them a mystery reveal, thus making the news fall even flatter for many that it would have done otherwise.

In the long term they're a solid addition in Smash, but given how badly the execution of their reveal was, it serves as the most prominent example in how not to show off a character. The one upside is that its unlikely any future fighter will ever get receive that level of antipathy, if only because enough fans learned from this to keep expectations in check.
I mean, when alot of people(even Youtubers and reactors) thought the Game Awards reveal was going to be Jonesy, there was alot of antipathy. Like there was very little positive energy and it felt very...........down. Despite it being a website with text, the energy after the Jonesy post was very noticeable.
It was a huge change of energy when the fighter was revealed to be Sephiroth. Just the way it went from not wanting to stick around due to how very little energy there was to bursting with positivity and wanting to stay and talk about the reveal. It was probably one of the biggest spikes of energy since Cloud's reveal.

Should probably tell whoever runs that site that Nightmare is technically a husbando, not a waifu.

Unless... was there ever a female version of Nightmare?
Well yes, but actually no.

To clarify, Pyrrha from Soul Calibur V did become Soul Edge's new wielder for a bit after Nightmare's defeat, but compared to Nightmare, who is Soul Edge/Inferno in control of a human host, Pyrrha was gaslighted into wielding Soul Edge after she became Malfested, so she was still in full control. Not like Siegfried who Soul Edge seduced into working with it to "revive" his father and then slowly take hold of him until Soul Edge had more control.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Steve and Sephiroth would have been spectacular to see.

Hopefully the Pandemic can be controlled well enough (with the vacines and all that, along with safe protocals) that perhaps we could at least get one more Nintendo New York reaction

And I just realized, we've not gotten a Nintendo New York reaction for any of the characters in FP2
I can easily see that happening. The vaccine is out, producing and distributing seems to be the problem. If we somehow don’t manage get that to happen in the next 6 months I will be extremely disappointed.

Also, what series are there in which the villain is bigger than the hero? I can only think of SC.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I can easily see that happening. The vaccine is out, producing and distributing seems to be the problem. If we somehow don’t manage get that to happen in the next 6 months I will be extremely disappointed.

Also, what series are there in which the villain is bigger than the hero? I can only think of SC.
Heihachi would have been the Tekken character in 4 if his moveset wasn't deemed too complicated and he's definitely the face of a lot of the Tekken series. Although to be fair everyone in Tekken is kind of an asshole.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Danganronpa? Monokuma is almost memetic levels of popular

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean, when alot of people(even Youtubers and reactors) thought the Game Awards reveal was going to be Jonesy, there was alot of antipathy. Like there was very little positive energy and it felt very...........down. Despite it being a website with text, the energy after the Jonesy post was very noticeable.
It was a huge change of energy when the fighter was revealed to be Sephiroth. Just the way it went from not wanting to stick around due to how very little energy there was to bursting with positivity and wanting to stay and talk about the reveal. It was probably one of the biggest spikes of energy since Cloud's reveal.
To put things in perspective, I was really hoping for either Geno or Terra as a Square Enix rep. When Sephiroth emerged it instantly confirmed that two of my sentimental picks would not get in favor of a character from a game I was fairly indifferent about.

And it was still a fairly exciting reveal with real hype to me due to its execution (and not being Jonesy didn't hurt).

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What's great about Nightmare is that he holds yet another one of videogames most iconic swords. And the SC series started out with its name, Soul Edge.

I would just love to see a SC inspired trailer.
Not to mention, the Classic Mode ought to feel like a very close recreation of his arcade mode.

Oh, just remembered theres a unique parry mechanic in SC where the player pushes the opponent back when clashing weapons.

And there's also the hit that spins opponents around.

These HAVE to be part of his moveset if he got in.
smash bros logo cut

Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

Immediate tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom