• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 298128
WHAT THE %$#@
what happened to wacky adventures of funny objection man

I know Dual Destinies had some freaky %$#@ going on with Athena but HOLY %$#@ I did not realize it was that dark
I'd argue that isn't even the darkest thing in Ace Attorney.

See why I didn't like the idea of kids playing this series?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd argue that isn't even the darkest thing in Ace Attorney.

See why I didn't like the idea of kids playing this series?
Boi wait till you see 999. You only see mild pictures of barely legible carnage but... those WRITTEN DESCRIPTIONS bro...

and then Zero Time Dilemma comes along and throws all subtlety out the window

on God ZTD made me paranoid around showers for a whole ass month

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That scene is certainly the "messiest" but I'd argue that...

A seven year old child being an unwilling accomplice to her cousin's would be murder and an entire nation doing away with the whole legal process are darker. The first situation is traumatizing, the second is the nicest way they can imply mass killings and they STRONGLY hint at it. Not to mention that SoJ has a "secret police" that just goes around and kills political enemies. Or that one case involves a person committing suicide in the courtroom so he doesn't bring suspicion on the person who set him up.

Oh and yeah, one person commits suicide purely to pin a murder on someone else so that his wife, who killed a secret police member in self defense, has a possible out.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That scene is certainly the "messiest" but I'd argue that...

A seven year old child being an unwilling accomplice to her cousin's would be murder and an entire nation doing away with the whole legal process are darker. The first situation is traumatizing, the second is the nicest way they can imply mass killings and they STRONGLY hint at it. Not to mention that SoJ has a "secret police" that just goes around and kills political enemies. Or that one case involves a person committing suicide in the courtroom so he doesn't bring suspicion on the person who set him up.

Oh and yeah, one person commits suicide purely to pin a murder on someone else so that his wife, who killed a secret police member in self defense, has a possible out.
Bro not even Danganronpa is THAT dark AND THATS THE SERIES WHERE TEENAGERS MURDER EACH OTHER TO SURVIVE.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, most video game companies have had that franchise that seems innocuous but gets darker once you dig into it. Capcom has Ace Attorney, Nintendo has Kirby and Splatoon, even Sega had Ecco the Dolphin.
For Ace Attorney, its not stuff in hindsight.

It's literally the main plots of the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Eh, most video game companies have had that franchise that seems innocuous but gets darker once you dig into it. Capcom has Ace Attorney, Nintendo has Kirby and Splatoon, even Sega had Ecco the Dolphin.
What’s Square Enix’s equivalent of “innocent outside, disturbing inside”?
Hold up, whats so dark about Ecco the Dolphin?
Just google “Ecco the dolphin nightmare fuel” and you’ll see

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Believe it or not, Kingdom Hearts.

"Hey, glad you're happy with this big Disney crossover!

Now here's imagery of worlds being destroyed, children being used as test subjects, and a young boy stabbing himself in the chest!"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hold up, whats so dark about Ecco the Dolphin?
This Twitter post has the summary of the game's plot, but the gist of it is you find out that your friends were taken by an alien race that looks like something out of a horror franchise, and said aliens are planning on eating them since they've lost the ability to make food themselves.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Now here's imagery of worlds being destroyed, children being used as test subjects, and a young boy stabbing himself in the chest!"
Also, the sheer mental gynmastics of figuring out the story is pretty disturbing as well :4pacman:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Also cartoon legend Mickey Mouse getting choked by flying anime man, totally not gonna horrify any children

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I feel like we should consider icon in terms of generations as well. Most of you seem to have grown up in the nineties, where Crash was gigantic and well known, and Steve didn’t even exist. Contrast that with kids who grew up in the 2000s and 2010s (Like me), and Crash is barely known whilst Steve is a behemoth.

Just google “Ecco the dolphin nightmare fuel” and you’ll see
Oh you sweet summer child.
The nature of the threat/antagonists are surpsingly creepy and really out there given initial expectation of a game with a cute dolphin solving puzzles. This is the final boss just to give you an idea of the story:

This Twitter post has the summary of the game's plot, but the gist of it is you find out that your friends were taken by an alien race that looks like something out of a horror franchise, and said aliens are planning on eating them since they've lost the ability to make food themselves.
That is certainly unsettling, especially the jaw being knocked off. Looks like an underwater Xenomorph. Doesn’t hold a candle to Giygas though, he still creeps me out.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That is certainly unsettling, especially the jaw being knocked off. Looks like an underwater Xenomorph. Doesn’t hold a candle to Giygas though, he still creeps me out.
I still love how the way you have to defeat him it to literally pick a god and pray. :p

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You forgot Mother, Pokemon (especially the PokeDex stuff) and a good chunk of Zelda games.

For a family-friendly company, they sure as hell don't **** around.
Nintendo also used to have the Mario RPGs, particularly Partners in Time and Super Paper Mario, (and TTYD too).

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Wait what?

Ace Attorney is being played by 4-10 year olds?!? This is a franchise where MURDER is a common occurrence. There's blood and violence and all sorts of stuff that's not appropriate for children.

What parallel dimension did I stumble into? I'm not okay with kids that little playing Ace Attorney.
2 of the games are CERO A in Japan, so they're quite literally appropriate for 4-10 year olds according to the rating board people.

It's not that far removed from Detective Conan being aimed at 5 year olds and up when the very first case is a decapitation on a roller coaster.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
2 of the games are CERO A in Japan, so they're quite literally appropriate for 4-10 year olds according to the rating board people.

It's not that far removed from Detective Conan being aimed at 5 year olds and up when the very first case is a decapitation on a roller coaster.
Well that’s a sentence I wasn’t ever expecting to read in my life lmao

fwiw it was on Adult Swim back in the 2000’s in the USA so

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just because the rating boards give a certain rating doesn't mean a game can't have disturbing moments that would be unfitting of its audience.

EarthBound was rated E, for example, despite the Gyigas fight.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, remember awhile back when somebody shared a video pitching a roster for a hypothetical PSABR2? Well, the guy who made that video made another one for a more... conceptual idea: Smash Bros but with Indie characters.

I mean, he says several times throughout the video that making it a Smash-style game would be the best way of doing it, so I figured it'd be worth sharing. Plus, his picks are actually pretty varied, even though I haven't heard of some of these games.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Say, remember awhile back when somebody shared a video pitching a roster for a hypothetical PSABR2? Well, the guy who made that video made another one for a more... conceptual idea: Smash Bros but with Indie characters.

I mean, he says several times throughout the video that making it a Smash-style game would be the best way of doing it, so I figured it'd be worth sharing. Plus, his picks are actually pretty varied, even though I haven't heard of some of these games.
Hes got Zagreus and Sans, a damn genius. Needs some Slap City though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

SMH no Rider from Furi, terrible roster, 0/10
Furi Guy.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

HOLY **** DARKEST DUNGEON ASSIST YAAAAAAAS

AND ORI

tfw no Gunvolt or Lobotomy Corporation tho...

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Just because the rating boards give a certain rating doesn't mean a game can't have disturbing moments that would be unfitting of its audience.

EarthBound was rated E, for example, despite the Gyigas fight.
Plenty of stuff aimed at young audiences has disturbing visual depictions and implications (and in Gyigas case, interpretations denied by the creator), but it usually bumps up the rating when things are more overt. Of course different regions will have different criteria for deciding what is "child appropriate", which is why you can have stuff like Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne getting an all ages rating in Japan while an M rating in America. Demographic discrepancies aren't a new thing with this kind of content and it goes back to the 80s with even more egregious stuff like Fist of the North Star or literally anything from Go Nagai aimed at children in Japan, stuff that would struggle to go as low as a teen rating if it made it over here at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom