• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like Olimar needs an update. Not so much mechanically, but personality wise. Currently, I'm pretty sure he just does animations from Pikmin and Pikmin 2 (if that was an option), but he does have a personality beyond that, and it's developed over the course of the series. Giving him that personality would pretty easily breathe some new life into that character.

And while they're at it they can make his animations for his Grab, Smash Attacks, and Pikmin Toss far more exaggerated so you can better tell what the heck he's doing.

You guys remember that Dark Samus is a female villain and is already in the game right?

:ultdarksamus:
...Crap.

distorted Dark Samus victory theme plays in the background

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You guys remember that Dark Samus is a female villain and is already in the game right?

:ultdarksamus:
Well, her and Wendy (and Daisy) are the only two (three) in the game, and one's an (two are) echo(s) and one's an alt. Technically speaking we don't have one with 8 costumes and an original moveset.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like Olimar needs an update. Not so much mechanically, but personality wise. Currently, I'm pretty sure he just does animations from Pikmin and Pikmin 2 (if that was an option), but he does have a personality beyond that, and it's developed over the course of the series. Giving him that personality would pretty easily breathe some new life into that character.

And while they're at it they can make his animations for his Grab, Smash Attacks, and Pikmin Toss far more exaggerated so you can better tell what the heck he's doing.

...Crap.

Isn’t her fanfare the same as Ridley’s tho?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

...Crap.

I think that Alph should be separated and become an Echo Fighter.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Oh oh, like a tired dad who needs to get away from his deadbeat job and spends real time with his wife and kids? I would really love to give him his voice too.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

...Crap.

Its okay...

I'm used to people forgetting about Metroid...

:054:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Y'know, Heihachi really did get robbed. He's certainly not the only viable option for a Tekken rep, though. Kazuya would be really interesting.
This. The more I think about it Chun-Li is some bizarre conciliation character, who actually deserves to be here. Chun-li is a gaming icon, the problem she has is that she has never really been "cool", which make no mistake is why Sephiroth was well received(he oozes coolness) despite him essentially deconfirming Geno and Sora who were so deeply fermented in the speculation zeitgeist.

The fighter who I'd most like to see here, and I think is most fitting(read as would be well received) is Heihachi. But given mii theory(which is a prevalent as ever after Geno) it seems for whatever reason he was passed on. Next in line would be Sub-Zero or Scorpion(maybe even before Heihachi), but they're likely off the table due to the series being heavily restricted in Japan. A whole bunch of sword fighters from Soul Calibur and Guilty Gear, now I feel would also be poorly received because we just had a sword character. As far as impressive fighters go it really only leaves Chun-Li left. There is also Akuma, but we'd be pitting legacy against cool at that point.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This. The more I think about it Chun-Li is some bizarre conciliation character, who actually deserves to be here. Chun-li is a gaming icon, the problem she has is that she has never really been "cool", which make no mistake is why Sephiroth was well received(he oozes coolness) despite him essentially deconfirming Geno and Sora who were so deeply fermented in the speculation zeitgeist.

The fighter who I'd most like to see here, and I think is most fitting(read as would be well received) is Heihachi. But given mii theory(which is a prevalent as ever after Geno) it seems for whatever reason he was passed on. Next in line would be Sub-Zero or Scorpion(maybe even before Heihachi), but they're likely off the table due to the series being heavily restricted in Japan. A whole bunch of sword fighters from Soul Calibur and Guilty Gear, now I feel would also be poorly received because we just had a sword character. As far as impressive fighters go it really only leaves Chun-Li left. There is also Akuma, but we'd be pitting legacy against cool at that point.
Eh? Chun-Li is cool.

She's just a different kind of cool.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Isn’t her fanfare the same as Ridley’s tho?
Apparantly not. I thought Dark Samus had some extra flair on the end, but it seems like Ridley has it too.

Calling it her victory fanfare is still technically not wrong though.

Didn't expect the chair meme to appear here lol
OK is there actually a chair, or did people just photoshop it in because they though it was funny?

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Eh? Chun-Li is cool.

She's just a different kind of cool.
Nah, she's not cool. Inspiration to little girls maybe.

She's not even the strongest woman in the world anymore, since Juri kicked her ass in the story.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

She's not even the strongest woman in the world anymore, since Juri kicked her ass in the story.
What on earth is your definition of cool?

Because being naturally awesome enough to be an inspiration to little girls is pretty hecking cool.

SKX31

Smash Master
In an alternate universe
Perfect opportunity to post this:

one thing ill forever be baffled by is WHY they thought implementing Rock Pikmin was too herculean a task
To play Devil's Advocate: It's possible that Rock Pikmin create such a gameplay difference that it becomes really difficult to justify Echo status. Rock Pikmin might not "just" be another version of Purple, but also have different physics to them. Which creates a lot of differences between Alph and Olimar.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
one thing ill forever be baffled by is WHY they thought implementing Rock Pikmin was too herculean a task
I think the biggest hurdle is the fact that they don't squash and stretch like the other Pikmin do, which could make it harder to read them despite their shinier bodies. It's not that big of a deal though, and it's only a problem because Olimar and Alph are super stubby and have big heads so they have trouble making clear poses.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know, I can't talk a lot about Soul Calibur but I doubt Nightmare (or anyone else) would be just a "sword character". I think you're missing the fact that we're talking about FGC characters with swords, so they're not going to use their swords in the same way Marth or Shulk do, for example.

Also not the first time I say this but I wouldn't really count Sol as a sword character. I guess the Junkyard Dog MK II (cool name huh) kinda looks like a sword but it has a pretty unique design, so it's not the traditional sword you see in Smash. Also, because Sol uses it in a very distinctive way. Plus of course he doesn't use it for every move or ability he has.

I think checking this list of his moveset in Guilty Gear Xrd (it has pictures) would prove my point:

About being poor received because they use sword-like weapons, I mean... people will always find a complain. At this point I can't take seriously anyone who complains about swordfighters.
Besides all that, I think you're forgetting the fact a good chunk of people will probably complain if they add a FGC character. It happened with Terry and it will happen again, regardless of Nintendo choosing Chun-Li or Nightmare/Sol Badguy. Maybe it's just me but a significant portion of the community doesn't seem to be very welcoming towards the idea of more FGC characters, at least until they're able to play as the character.

OK is there actually a chair, or did people just photoshop it in because they though it was funny?
It's a random PC mod that became sort of a meme in the DMC community recently. The chair isn't really there in the game.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna give Strife the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant "cool" as in the stereotypically cool aesthetic.

But they don't seem to realize that characters can be cool in different ways.

Basically, I think they put their foot in their mouth.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Being an inspiration to little girls isn't "cool"?
Its admirable, but not cool.

What on earth is your definition of cool?

Because being naturally awesome enough to be an inspiration to little girls is pretty hecking cool.
If you think grown men and little girls are into the samethings then you're just being silly.

As for a descriptor of cool, something similar to badass but not quite so extreme.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also not the first time I say this but I wouldn't really count Sol as a sword character. I guess the Junkyard Dog MK II (cool name huh) kinda looks like a sword but it has a pretty unique design, so it's not the traditional sword you see in Smash. Also, because Sol uses it in a very distinctive way. Plus of course he doesn't use it for every move or ability he has.
From what I've heard, it's not actually a sword. It's just a really big lighter. It's hard to tell, but I'm not sure it even has a blade.

It's a random PC mod that became sort of a meme in the DMC community recently. The chair isn't really there in the game.
I'm pretty sure it's a mod.
Ah. I am disappoint. Still funny though.

Give Olimar his voice.
I second this, and add Alph, Isabelle, and Mega Man to the motion.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't think you need to be strong in order to be cool.

Hell, I find a character going against opponents stronger than them even cooler. Everyone can challenge weaker people.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
weren't Ryu and Ken always paired with each other in both Project X Zone games and Chun Li was an assist in 1? I think she was paired with Pai (from Sega's Virtua Fighter) in 2, not sure. Her or Xiaoyu from Tekken. and idk about the predecessor, Namco X Capcom
Yeah, but she was still always playable in those. You won't find a major crossover game with Ken but not Chun-Li, but you'll find plenty the other way around.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you think grown men and little girls are into the samethings then you're just being silly.
Sir.

This is a website for a Nintendo punchy game.

Get off your ****ing high horse. You're making yourself look like an imbecile.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Will forever be annoyed at how many people in the community only root for characters with a "cool" factor, and how that cool factor is usually just uber macho characters. Not enough room for silly and cute... not that Chun-Li is even that. It's just an issue that goes way further than this one instance and has made it more of an uphill battle supporting some of my personal MWs.

She's about as badass as a character can be, the only difference compared to Ryu or Heihachi being that she's a woman. So make of that what you will.

Last edited:

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of coolness, who would you say is the coolest character in smash? I think sephiroth is pretty slick but I would give it to snake.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Besides all that, I think you're forgetting the fact a good chunk of people will probably complain if they add a FGC character. It happened with Terry and it will happen again, regardless of Nintendo choosing Chun-Li or Nightmare/Sol Badguy. Maybe it's just me but a significant portion of the community doesn't seem to be very welcoming towards the idea of more FGC characters, at least until they're able to play as the character.
This is something I've basically come to accept. In the end, hell, I just love fighting games, and I especially love Guilty Gear. My hope is that, much like Sephiroth, the characters I love can win people over with their trailers. I mean you can't tell me a Sol trailer with him fighting Galleom and turning into his Dragon Install form as this plays wouldn't win someone over even if they're unfamiliar with the character:

Nightmare is easy enough - have him face Link. Same with Raphael if they wanted a surprising fighter. It sucks that Heihachi isn't gonna be in the pass; he was one of my most-wanted, but he's a cool old man so it's easy enough to make him stand out. Chun-Li is iconic, have her kick some threats away and hit us with that sweet SFV music and you can sell people. And hey, it's a super long-shot, but you can't tell me someone like Fulgore wouldn't be cool enough.

I love how Terry has won people over. I got super frustrated when he got leaked and people didn't know, didn't care, or were hostile towards him. But at the end of the day, I want characters to make me happy, so if FGC characters do that for me I'm not gonna let others take that away from me. But my favorite thing to see is people who may not be familiar with a character get won over. That's the magic of Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom