• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I believe that if Smash gets another Fighting game rep it will either be an Arc System Works character or another Street Fighter character.
Probably. But also who knows? Like I said, Japanese presence or not, Mortal Kombat dominates in sales and is probably the biggest fighting game in North America. If they added Terry for his South American audience, they could do the same for Scorpion and his North American audience.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Probably. But also who knows? Like I said, Japanese presence or not, Mortal Kombat dominates in sales and is probably the biggest fighting game in North America. If they added Terry for his South American audience, they could do the same for Scorpion and his North American audience.
Except it would be more suitable in the base roster. DLC picks are usually more Japan-centric.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I know it's probably a minority of people and/or different people doing it, but I've seen this discrepancy enough times that I think it warrants mentioning: People seem to think any character who's more popular in Japan is a Japanese pick (which I agree with), but will automatically call a character a western pick because they were made by a western company, regardless of Japanese popularity.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I don't see why they would just make Scorpion's FS his original Fatality where he takes off his mask and breaths fire. It's not R-rated at all.
Honestly if we do get Scorpion, which is a huge if, that honestly would odds all be the final smash we get.
Honestly, while a Japanese presence is important, Ultimate has gone out of its way to give the Western audience plenty of love. Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, Banjo. While these characters still exist in Japan, they were definitely more intended for the West. Also, Little Mac. Most Japanese players had no clue who he even was.

I still tend to agree that Mortal Kombat has some hurdles, but given that it’s had a strong presense for about thirty years straight and has managed to surpass both Street Fighter and Tekken as the all time best selling fighting game franchise (second only to Smash) is enough to consider it a possibility. With Sakurai’s deep love for fighting games, it isn’t crazy to think that Scorpion has crossed his mind before.
While Ultimate has had plenty of big name western requests, I just ain't that confident in MK due to how much of a non presence it is in Japan. Like, Scorpion with a Sub Zero echo would be amazing. But I ain't confident. It is part of the reason I think Crash is the western pick to beat as a whole: he has Japanese popularity. Is Crash as big in Japan as he is in the west? Not really. But his Japanese popularity both in the old days and now is something a lot of western reps just do not have.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really wish people could separate their feelings of SwSh from the Pokémon that debuted in it.

It's fine if you don't like the games, but I see too many comments implying that Gen 8 Pokémon suck simply because they're Gen 8 Pokémon.
This. Same with Gen 1 Pokemon.

I want Meowth. I don’t care if it is a Gen 1 Pokemon. I want Meowth. Period.

I like Gen 8's music and Pokemon.

Game itself is pretty crap and I'm much more looking forward to the D/P remakes, but if we were to get a Gen 8 rep, honestly as long as it's not the starters or box legendries, I'd be down.

Gimme something weird like Dracovish, Sirfetch'd or Toxtricity.
Box Legendary Pokémon? Suicune really should have gotten in Melee.

Gen 8 starters bore me. I am really hoping for Decidueye.

Speaking of weird Pokémon... I want Girafarig.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I believe that if Smash gets another Fighting game rep it will either be an Arc System Works character or another Street Fighter character.
Remember, if we had to choose the first Spirit promotion, 99% of the time it most definitely would not be Min Min. It's not a good idea to limit ourselves to a select handful of characters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m hoping the fact Sub-Zero is the main antagonist of the new movie boosts his chances of getting picked. Scorpion is cool too but I’ve always preferred Sub-Zero and we could always use more ice characters.

Speaking of which, I’m curious how they would handle his freeze moves. Would they work like MK or Smash style like Ice Climbers and Freezie?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Dracula's a weird case where the character of Dracula might've not been based on a real person directly, but Bram Stoker took a lot of influence from English / Welsh lore about vampires and mixed in a couple Romanian elements like Dracula's name (while Stoker did borrow Vlad Tepes' name, there's not many similarities between the 15th century ruler and the vampire - then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Vlad's reputation for cruelty did inform Stoker's decision to use his name) and Transylvania as a setting.
Funny enough, CV Dracula isn't just based on Vlad Tepes, but also Matthias Cornivus, King of Hungary from 1458 to 1490. Drac originally went by Matthias Cronqvist in CV lore. Cronqvist had a wife called Elisabetha, Cornivus' wife was called Elizabeth.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It doesn't have to be Microsoft. We could get Crash Bandicoot from Activision and a character from a smaller western company.
Except what is there unless they go into obscure territory or controversial companies? I honestly expect at least one more Japanese character, perhaps even two.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I think it's a pretty good roster, well done. The only change I can see myself making is probably swapping out Mewtwo for either Diddy Kong, Wii Fit Trainer or Pac-Man
I appreciate your opinion but I have to disagree.
Pokemon is the largest franchise is Smash by far.
Mewtwo is THE legendary Pokemon and he has a massive presence in Smash even if he isn't playable.
If Brawl had more time in the kitchen, Mewtwo would have certainly returned.
I feel that Donkey Kong, while poplular, is too niche.
If I were to add another Donkey Kong character, I would pick King K. Rool over Diddy.
If I was to do that, then I would have to cut Jigglypuff.
I already explained why I dropped Wit Fit Trainer and my thoughts on third party characters.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Guys, we all know the the REAL next fighter is...

HE HAS NO STYLE, HE HAS NO GRACE.
TH-TH-TH-THIS KONG MIGHT HAVE A PLACE.
HE CAN BE IN SMASH, WHEN HE NEEDS TO
AS HE TAKES OVER, FIGHTER PASS 2
INFLATE HIMSELF, JUST LIKE A BALOON
IN SS TIER, HE'LL BE THERE SOON. HUH!
View attachment 306803
he comes with the uncut version of the DK Rap remix

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Except what is there unless they go into obscure territory or controversial companies? I honestly expect at least one more Japanese character, perhaps even two.
If Nintendo cared about controversial companies then they wouldn't have brought back Konami or brought in Microsoft
If Nintendo cared about controversial companies they'd be incredibly hypocritical because they themselves are very controversial.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If Nintendo cared about controversial companies then they wouldn't have brought back Konami or brought in Microsoft
If Nintendo cared about controversial companies they'd be incredibly hypocritical because they themselves are very controversial.
When I said that I was referring to Electronic Arts.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In random news, we're getting some kind of Square Enix Direct (I don't know what else to call it) this month.

Aside from Balan Wonderworld (yay!), it looks like it's mostly focusing on the Western side of SE. What else does that side own aside from Lara Croft? I saw Just Cause on there, but I know nothing about that series...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In random news, we're getting some kind of Square Enix Direct (I don't know what else to call it) this month.

Aside from Balan Wonderworld (yay!), it looks like it's mostly focusing on the Western side of SE. What else does that side own aside from Lara Croft? I saw Just Cause on there, but I know nothing about that series...
1615484567709.png

they better have something REALLY BIG to reverse that loss of literally 95% of its player base

also I guess no TWEWY NEO stuff yet...

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
While Ultimate has had plenty of big name western requests, I just ain't that confident in MK due to how much of a non presence it is in Japan. Like, Scorpion with a Sub Zero echo would be amazing. But I ain't confident. It is part of the reason I think Crash is the western pick to beat as a whole: he has Japanese popularity. Is Crash as big in Japan as he is in the west? Not really. But his Japanese popularity both in the old days and now is something a lot of western reps just do not have.
I mostly agree. Honestly, Scorpion and Sub-Zero are far from likely in my opinion. I’m just saying Mortal Kombat has enough legacy and importance to be at the very least considered, and that’s enough for me to keep an on eye them as a possibility.

Mortal Kombat has a surprisingly deep history with Nintendo (having multiple exclusives and enhanced ports) and if Nintendo is choosing the DLC and not Sakurai, then I could easily see them giving Mortal Kombat a consideration.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
One more Japanese character might be possible but I think Crash Bandicoot is a pretty big contender for Challenger pack 10.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Firox

Smash Master
So I see a lot of recurring talk about who on the Smash roster would get cut for the next installment. I'm curious to see what people think: How many characters do you think the next game would have at maximum (and thus by extension, how many would realistically get cut)?

The current Smash is going to end with a roster of at least 82 characters, so would that be considered out of the realm of possibility in the future? Would it be hardware issues or licensing issues alone that would result in cuts?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So I see a lot of recurring talk about who on the Smash roster would get cut for the next installment. I'm curious to see what people think: How many characters do you think the next game would have at maximum (and thus by extension, how many would realistically get cut)?

The current Smash is going to end with a roster of at least 82 characters, so would that be considered out of the realm of possibility in the future? Would it be hardware issues or licensing issues alone that would result in cuts?
That number doesn't count Echoes, which would make the final roster 89 characters if they are counted.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

I predict like 20 cuts

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Hopefully we’ll hit the big 100 at maximum. Licensing issues would result in cuts for third parties only (even then it’s a case by case basis) and I doubt we’d see a repeat of Smash 4 which led to ICs being cut, since hardware wise it’s all uphill from here imo. MAYBE they’ll cut DP, Jr., Mac or PP due to lack of interest, but even I don’t see that happening. And they wouldn’t DARE cut the likes of Ness or Captain Falcon or even Lucas cause they’re fan favorites at this point

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I predict like 20 cuts
Do you have a specific rationale for that amount? I mean, it could very well be possible, but I'm just curious if we have an reasoning for why to get a relatively more accurate estimate.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I would be pretty hyped if they brought back the Legacy of Kain series but I’m not expecting that any time soon.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Call me dumb or whatever, but I still legitimately think Mortal Kombat is too violent for Smash.

The characters aren't. There's nothing that Scorpion brings to the table that's inherently more gorey than the guns, knives, and flames already existent in the current Smash roster. And yes, we do have lots of precedent for characters coming from mature home series - MGS, Bayonetta, and Fire Emblem to name a few examples.

But none of these other mature series are as controversial as Mortal Kombat is. Other than maybe GTA, no other game brings out the "violent video games are corrupting our youth" crowd like Mortal Kombat does. If you look up content for the game online, a lot of the most popular stuff is just boomers reacting to how gruesome the fatalities are. And yes, Nintendo had no issue bringing Mortal Kombat to its console, that was just a sensical business decision as the franchise is huge. That's not the same thing as referencing the series in Smash alongside the likes of Mario and Kirby.

Do I think MK has absolutely no shot? No. The franchise is huge. It's certainly big enough to make Nintendo say "**** the haters". But I don't believe the heavy violence of the home series, which outclasses pretty much any other franchise, is something that Nintendo won't consider when selecting fighters for Smash.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I think too many people are putting in faith that we'll get a big E3 character. I think that logic is going to backfire.

Smash never ends off "strong" (you know exactly what I mean by that) and it'd be odd to market your biggest characters at the end when most people were probably sold on the pack due to Steve/Sephiroth. Same goes for Banjo/Hero because after them, we got...a niche fighting game character and another FE character.

Imagine if the likes of Inkling, Daisy and Ridley were instead shown off at the last second instead of at E3. You want people to get on board earlier rather than later.

I'd keep your expectations in check.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Probably no KH stuff, since they're taking a slight hiatus for new games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Call me dumb or whatever, but I still legitimately think Mortal Kombat is too violent for Smash.

The characters aren't. There's nothing that Scorpion brings to the table that's inherently more gorey than the guns, knives, and flames already existent in the current Smash roster. And yes, we do have lots of precedent for characters coming from mature home series - MGS, Bayonetta, and Fire Emblem to name a few examples.

But none of these other mature series are as controversial as Mortal Kombat is. Other than maybe GTA, no other game brings out the "violent video games are corrupting our youth" crowd like Mortal Kombat does. If you look up content for the game online, a lot of the most popular stuff is just boomers reacting to how gruesome the fatalities are. And yes, Nintendo had no issue bringing Mortal Kombat to its console, that was just a sensical business decision as the franchise is huge. That's not the same thing as referencing the series in Smash alongside the likes of Mario and Kirby.

Do I think MK has absolutely no shot? No. The franchise is huge. It's certainly big enough to make Nintendo say "**** the haters". But I don't believe the heavy violence of the home series, which outclasses pretty much any other franchise, is something that Nintendo won't consider when selecting fighters for Smash.
The most I can see is a Mii costume or Spirit Event. That’s about it

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
When I said that I was referring to Electronic Arts.
Okay.
Nintendo literally don't give a ****. If they want Commander Shepard then they'll go and get Commander Shepard, if they want Faith Connors then they'll get Faith Connors, the only obstacle they really face is one in regards to cost. They were more than happy to get two characters from Microsoft and I don't think I should have to repeat to you what the Xbox division are doing, let alone what the entire company is doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom