• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...Are you insinuating that any Super Mario RPG reference that isn't Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. is a kick to the Geno fans?

It's worth mentioning that this also counts for the slots. There are quite a handful of characters that are voiced, but don't actually use words or phrases, such as Mario and the Ice Climbers.

EDIT: I'd have to check to confirm, but I think even characters that aren't voiced have voice files, such as Bowser, the Kongs, and R.O.B.
By “not voiced” you mean stock sound effects?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
inb4 Nintendo starts sending Wahoomininjas after people because they dressed up in a costume of Toad with a top hat, monocle and mustache.
You fiend! How dare you bring up Toadsworth! He is filth, and must be expunged from this world!

casually proceeds to rerelease Super Mario Sunshine

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not related to current topic but Hades is on sale for the Switch right now:
You will buy it, and you will enjoy it.
It's listed as being on sale for $20 on both the eShop and Steam, but the eShop has a lower sales tax, so get it there.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
D

Deleted member

Yeah the fact both ArcSys and Ubisoft got a post game spirit event (the former)/Mii Costumes without a playable character (the latter) doesn’t make me confident in a rep. Same with Bethesda.

Square Enix, and possibly Bandai Namco, are safe cause they already have playable characters beforehand
Ubisoft is 1 I'll probably write off since Assassin's Creed and Rabbids were the main games that probably would've been in Smash if Nintendo bargained for them. Unless they wanted Tom Mother****ing Clancy or anyone from his games (which I doubt), then they're out in the running. I'd also say the same for Bethesda since they probably would've been more hands on with their Mii Costume lineup had they got a Challenger Pack.

Arc System Works? I say they're still in contention. River City may not be in the running as it looks, but it's the only ASW franchise to have content in Smash currently. Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Double Dragon could be ASW franchises Nintendo has interest in for a Challenger Pack, and for all we know, a Kunio Mii Costume will release when an ASW rep comes.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I’m not sure that anybody has a “monkey brain” for finding any of this stuff interesting and plausible connected.

While I wouldn’t call it a safe bet to think this confirms the Chun-Li and Tales bit, I think it’s an interesting bit that could connect. Emphasis on “could”, because we just don’t know, really.

The only reason I think it’s interesting is because, well, people used the same suggestion that “they could change it!” with the box, but they didn’t. If there are 2 music slots but three voice slots (I believe there are files to corroborate this, at least that’s what I was told) I think it’s plausible that we get 3 new characters, one of which comes from an existing series.

It fits along with the Chun-Leak, but it could fit with plenty of characters. So it doesn’t quite send us in any direction yet. I think it’s worth keeping in mind.

EDIT: So as I have just checked, this is indeed based on internal files, and not simply the UI. Apparently 3 more particular characters makes a perfect square in Squad Strike, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. It’s just interesting to think about. (Thanks to @Flyboy and @Opossum for those tidbits I stole just now, lol).
Yes, the fact it is based on internal files indeed puts it in a new light and renders my point null and void, but what makes the theory invalid for me otherwise is the fact that the UI was designed for the base game and did not take into account the exact amount and contents of DLC and that’s even before considering the fact that a menu forming a perfect rectangle has never been required and is merely aesthetically pleasing to the instinct part of our brain (hence the term “monkey brain”)

Furthermore, there have been menus that have not been perfect rows. Currently, the stage select screen will leave three stage-sized units of black in the down row as did the 3DS stage menu before the “DLC” button arrived. The character select screen right now is a perfect rectangle, but that will obviously change as well. Box Theory had both an intrinsic pattern to it (which was the reason we found out Ken was going to be a fighter) and was made with the full roster in mind (or else it had a perfectly sound pattern to it for a visual that was going to be outdated soon or didn’t contain all the characters), neither of which voice-music theory has going for it.

In fact, it’s the stage layout that puzzles me more right now. Either they refuse to center-align the bottom row until the very end (something that would look bad if done with the voice-music-menu) or it will be the ugliest menu in existence of gaming.

ZelDan

Smash Master
On a completely unrelated note, Touhou Luna Nights is on the Switch E-shop

One of the best Metroidvanias in recent memory is now on the go
...So is this the part where I act like Reimu is confirmed for FP2?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Anything's possible, I suppose, but I just think it'd be weird to introduce a third party company to Smash with ancillary content like spirits before a playable character, if said company was getting a character.

It'd be kind like if, I don't know, we got a Perfect Dark spirit event before Banjo's reveal last year.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
...So is this the part where I act like Reimu is confirmed for FP2?
If you'd like. Playing Luna Nights would be enough though, it's fantastic and criminally overlooked.

Either way, Touhou games have been on the E-shop and sold physically since 2017, so one more doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, it just reinforces there is a market for the games on Switch.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In regard to the voice (and music) theory, does the Smash team REALLY care about having things perfectly aligned? We all remember Smash 4's complete character select screen looking off. Heck, Ultimate's CSS will probably end up having a nice rectangle if stacked and empty space if unstacked. Squad Strike, Classic Mode, and Quickplay might all have empty space, too. Is it too unreasonable to think that the Smash team will just add a new row to Voices and Music?
You’re right though, they did add a new row when Min Min came, nothing’s stopping them

ZelDan

Smash Master
If you'd like. Playing Luna Nights would be enough though, it's fantastic and criminally overlooked.

Either way, Touhou games have been on the E-shop and sold physically since 2017, so one more doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, it just reinforces there is a market for the games on Switch.
Hmm, never got into or had interest in the Touhou series, but I do like me a good metroidvania.

have a good amount of games on my backlog as is though, but good to note about this game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Anything's possible, I suppose, but I just think it'd be weird to introduce a third party company to Smash with ancillary content like spirits before a playable character, if said company was getting a character.

It'd be kind like if, I don't know, we got a Perfect Dark spirit event before Banjo's reveal last year.
I don't think it's that farfetched if the negotiations happened at the same time, and they decided that it would be best pacing wise if they came out sooner than the fighter. For example, if the last character was...I dunno, Shantae, and they also negotiated for a Spirit Event for A Boy and His Blob, then it might make sense that the Spirit Event comes first since Shantae will likely come in one of, if not the last, update.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I am actually curious about something

I know the game will crash if you try to mod in more than 91 characters at the CSS

but

what about the SSS? Does THAT, that anyone knows of, have a limit before crashing?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not related to current topic but Hades is on sale for the Switch right now:
You will buy it, and you will enjoy it.
Foolish boy! Why would I buy a game I already own?

"But Gwen you bought RotN and Doom 2016 twice and you got Hades as a gift"

SILENCE!

For real though I'm curious how anyone could make a Zag moveset because he has so much ****

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Geno's best shot was Ultimate, and I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me when I say that his chances go downhill from here on out. Once cuts are back, Geno will be competing with fan favorites who have already made it in Smash at least once before. There's also likely going to be a larger time gap between Ultimate and the next Smash game, so there's bound to be a larger pool of new and relevant characters to choose from.

Geno will never become impossible, but it's only gonna be harder and harder to justify giving him priority over other characters.
I disagree. I think Geno's chances for the next Smash are fairly high, even with cuts. It feels as if there's some kind of lag between popularity and reaction on the part of Sakurai/the Smash team. During Brawl, Geno had a LOT of support, but it died down afterwards... and yet, Sakurai still gave him a Mii costume in 4.

We're talking a brand new game with, potentially, plenty of new characters, both on launch and in DLC (which, lets be honest, given Ultimate's success, there's going to be plenty of). There's a lot of fat to trim for the roster, too.

However, even if after the next Smash he's not in, I wouldn't be too hasty in saying it's over. Geno's fanbase is a lot more organized nowadays, I think, and there's always the possibility of us finally get that long-desired Super Mario RPG Remake.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I've never seen a single shred of evidence that voice theory is based on internal files instead of "this menu has to form a perfect rectangle or else it will look bad"

You might want to finally prove that point if you don't want to repeat this song and dance whenever this topic is brought up

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm sure Crash will at least have his WOAHs.
It's the little things like that from Crash Bandicoot that would work and translate so well into Smash.

- Shouts "Whoa" when he gets KO'd.

- His shoes come falling down or go flying upwards Depending on the direction of the "Blast KO".

- He's been "Screen Splat" KO'd in "Warped" too.

- Crash Dance is perfect for taunts and victory screens.

I'm sure there's more, But Crash Bandicoot just makes too much sense and is perfect for Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I really just can't see them cutting out Cloud, Hero and/or Sephiroth and putting Geno of all characters in their place.

Dude now has like three characters he has to wait behind.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, if Voice Theory is based on internal files, does that mean that the final four characters as indicated by the actually real World of Light files are unvoiced?
They could just add another row and one or more of those peeps could have alts with different voices and/or lines

examples: Ahri with a Star Guardian alt (that one has different lines compared to her other skins), Neku with a Rindou (TWEWY NEO alt), Arle with a Ringo, Amitie or even Tee alt; and female and male Octoling

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Foolish boy! Why would I buy a game I already own?

"But Gwen you bought RotN and Doom 2016 twice and you got Hades as a gift"

SILENCE!

For real though I'm curious how anyone could make a Zag moveset because he has so much ****
Zagreus would be such an interesting fighter. He has so many weapons to begin with, but there's also the boon system to consider. Imagine if every so often he got random boons during a match. You're fighting him and halfway through his second stock, he gets a friggin Demeter boon so now his side special can freeze you

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
They could just add another row and one or more of those peeps could have alts with different voices and/or lines

examples: Ahri with a Star Guardian alt (that one has different lines compared to her other skins), Neku with a Rindou (TWEWY NEO alt), Arle with a Ringo, Amitie or even Tee alt; and female and male Octoling
Well yes but that would mean that the voice theory is bogus

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
For anyone who think that Sephiroth was a fall back for either Sora or Geno, and I say that with a Sora stan tainted google.
They're delusional.

I'll bring back my comparison that I made in the Geno thread when it was open and they thought the same thing but. The analogy for this way of thinking would be.

Sakurai : "Hey my old ass car Broke, do you think I can get another one with my insurance with an equivalent price?"

Square-Enix: Hold on my beer. And give you a brand new Tesla car.

That's to explain the level of difference between Sora, Geno and Mother****ing Sephiroth.

you don't take Sephiroth as Peanuts change.
you take Sephiroth because it's Sephiroth and YOU WANT Sephiroth

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sure, those would be great, but I was also refering to "big" characters like Master Chief or Crash as well, the types of characters that would better appeal to the masses.
Yeah, I think if they had to cut characters like Snake & Cloud but then replaced them with the likes of Crash, Chief & Sora that most people would still be very excited.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Geno has, for a while now, been my second most wanted smash character, it stinks that he got mii-fied again. But, I too would have to ‘echo’ (heehee) the idea that suggesting Sephiroth was a mere fallback for him is absolutely absurd. Geno might be a bigger request in the smash bubble, but you step outside of it and i can guarantee geno is practically an absolute nobody. I can’t say that anyone else in smash as playable is that way.

again, I think geno is cool as heck and I would’ve lost my marbles had he made it, but sephiroth being in has removed my rose-colored glasses on the situation I suppose

D

Deleted member

For anyone who think that Sephiroth was a fall back for either Sora or Geno, and I say that with a Sora stan tainted google.
They're delusional.

I'll bring back my comparison that I made in the Geno thread when it was open and they thought the same thing but. The analogy for this way of thinking would be.

Sakurai : "Hey my old ass car Broke, do you think I can get another one with my insurance with an equivalent price?"

Square-Enix: Hold on my beer. And give you a brand new Tesla car.

That's to explain the level of difference between Sora, Geno and Mother****ing Sephiroth.

you don't take Sephiroth as Peanuts change.
you take Sephiroth because it's Sephiroth and YOU WANT Sephiroth
But what if you DON’T want Sephiroth? :4pacman:
This is a half-joke and a half serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think Geno having been a Mii costume in either instance is... something of a victory for his supporters, if a bittersweet one. It may not be ideal, but it does demonstrate that - bubble or not - you guys absolutely did get their attention. They heard you, even if they couldn't quite make it happen.

A Mii costume sounds like piss-all, but here's the thing; Geno doesn't have the marketability or relevancy. He has a purely grassroots community behind him. Such a community's efforts getting anyone even that far... I think it's highly commendable.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think, for me, I treat Smash like any other video game series.

Like Super Mario. Or Zelda. I'm always excited to see them come up with new and inventive ideas. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were a breath of fresh air. Smash is a video game in my eyes. Just a video game. But I think it also cursed by the fact that people put so much importance on it. So much so that campaigns are made for characters and death threats are thrown. It's absurd.

I think it was Ultimate that made me come to this mindset. I'd see people scream with joy when a fighter is revealed only for him/her to be forgotten by the time the next fighter came out. It made me ask: "How long are these fighters seen as important?" and "Did adding this fighter make Ultimate a better game? Am I having more fun now that this character was added?"
The latter is a person to person case. There’s definitely people out there who don’t think Ultimate’s better with the DLC because they main someone on the base roster. But I main:ultbanjokazooie::ultjoker:, so their inclusions definitely made the game better as I have so much fun playing as them.

Hell, I’m not really digging Sephiroth’s playstyle but I think he made the game better because of the amazing music he brought with him.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I mean, worse would been that Geno wouldn't be a character AND also didn't got his Mii costume back, like, total lack of representation, no spirits, no mii costume, nothing... that would been much worse, but he hasn't been ignored, he got a spirit and a fight against his spirit, now he got a Mii costume, it sucks, but at least it's something, they acknowledged him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom