• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Speaking of 'Mons and excluding gen 8 (which is horrendous), there's no gen 3 and 5 Playable characters in the game. If you could choose one gen 3 Pokémon and one from gen 5 to be playable, which ones would you chose?

Il'd choose Sceptile and Emboar.
Gen 3 I'm torn between Blaziken and Gardevoir who both have managed to keep their popularity through the years.

Gen 5's a little more difficult, but I think Scrafty managed to remain pretty popular? Zoroark was a popular Smash choice but I'm not sure how the illusion ability would work in a game like Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Starting to think Sephiroth was the fall back after both Sora AND Geno fell through

Sora because Disney and Geno cause of the New Mario Order(tm) like I would not be surprised at all if that’s the case

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Wahoominati doesn't hold any authority or power when it comes to Smash, otherwise K. Rool would have never made it in and Bowser wouldn't still be making animal noises.
Even with the newer Mario RPGs' infamy for having all the Toads be palette swaps if even that, they can still make OCs. Shouldn't the Wahoominati object to Olly's existence?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Speaking of 'Mons and excluding gen 8 (which is horrendous), there's no gen 3 and 5 Playable characters in the game. If you could choose one gen 3 Pokémon and one from gen 5 to be playable, which ones would you chose?

Grovyle/Sceptile and Krookodile or Excadrill

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Waluigi will definitely be playable in a future game. The Washington Post wrote an article about him and he got a music video lamenting his exclusion that got 10 million views. He’s still a staple in Mario Kart which routinely outsells Smash.

I’d say Geno has about as much chance of making it to Smash as Paper Mario has of getting a new game in the 64/TTYD gameplay style, fully creative OCs and all.

Last edited:

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
Starting to think Sephiroth was the fall back after both Sora AND Geno fell through

Sora because Disney and Geno cause of the New Mario Order(tm) like I would not be surprised at all if that’s the case
lets not kid ourselves if they can get geno as a mii costume they can get him as playable we dont know the ballot results either, maybe geno underperformed

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Even with the newer Mario RPGs' infamy for having all the Toads be palette swaps if even that, they can still make OCs. Shouldn't the Wahoominati object to Olly's existence?
From what Tanabe explained, they can make OCs but they must not be based on any already existing species like koopas and whatnot. And those OCs will not appear anywhere outside of their game of origin.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The Wahoominati doesn't hold any authority or power when it comes to Smash
Tell me about it, I may have gotten the other half of my username in Smash by now otherwise.

I'm still more confident Waluigi will get in over Toad(or even Captain Toad) in future regardless of him having 'no gaems'.

Paraster

Smash Lord

Gen III: Sceptile (edit: maybe Grovyle for PMD reference) or Gardevoir
Gen V: Serperior or Zoroark

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

Gen 5: Zoroark

Gen 3: why choosing a boring and generic Sceptile when you have this charismatic thief boy from the future who can bring with him gen 3 representation, spin-off representation, some new and different gameplay mechanics and the best music in the franchise? 😬

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

Sceptile and Krookodile/Zoroark

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m getting Smash 4 roster post-ESRB leak vibes myself, where people insisted Ridley was coming because the slots were ordered weird. I don’t remember it exactly but we’ve had our fair share of conversations as community about aesthetics and most of them panned out to be nothing. Box Theory worked because it had a pattern that indicated only two more characters would be coming or characters would be left out of the box, not purely based on “oooh full row good to monkey brain”
I’m not sure that anybody has a “monkey brain” for finding any of this stuff interesting and plausible connected.

While I wouldn’t call it a safe bet to think this confirms the Chun-Li and Tales bit, I think it’s an interesting bit that could connect. Emphasis on “could”, because we just don’t know, really.

The only reason I think it’s interesting is because, well, people used the same suggestion that “they could change it!” with the box, but they didn’t. If there are 2 music slots but three voice slots (I believe there are files to corroborate this, at least that’s what I was told) I think it’s plausible that we get 3 new characters, one of which comes from an existing series.

It fits along with the Chun-Leak, but it could fit with plenty of characters. So it doesn’t quite send us in any direction yet. I think it’s worth keeping in mind.

EDIT: So as I have just checked, this is indeed based on internal files, and not simply the UI. Apparently 3 more particular characters makes a perfect square in Squad Strike, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. It’s just interesting to think about. (Thanks to Flyboy Flyboy and Opossum Opossum for those tidbits I stole just now, lol).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd say Zoroark for Gen 5 and to mix things up, tag team Latias and Latios for Gen 3.

There are a lot of potentially unique Pokémon in Gen 8 too though. I know SwSh is a touchy subject for a lot of people, but the Pokémon themselves are, at worst, just as good as any other Gen. I think a lot of people forget that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest, I really don’t think Nintendo had an interest in Geno. Like I can’t really agree that Sephiroth, one of the most iconic villains in the history of the industry, would be a backup to...Geno, a party member of a generations old game.

Given what we know, I just don’t think that’s the case. Unfortunately I have doubts that Geno was ever taken seriously by Nintendo and Square Enix. I don’t mean that as a jab at fans of the character, I’m just speaking in terms of what I see of the situation.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'd say Zoroark for Gen 5 and to mix things up, tag team Latias and Latios for Gen 3.
For me:
  • Gen 3: Sceptile
  • Gen 5: Snivy
There are a lot of potentially unique Pokémon in Gen 8 too though. I know SwSh is a touchy subject for a lot of people, but the Pokémon themselves are, at worst, just as good as any other Gen. I think a lot of people forget that.
Preach. I understand that a lot of people don't like Gen 8 and I respect that, but having a Pokémon from that Gen (whether it be Zacian or Cinderace or Toxtricity, just to name a few I want) won't automatically make Ultimate a game that's Bubsy 3D levels of bad (a bit of an exaggeration, but that was the first game that came to mind when thinking "one of the worst games ever made").

7NATOR

Smash Master
I’m not sure that anybody has a “monkey brain” for finding any of this stuff interesting and plausible connected.

While I wouldn’t call it a safe bet to think this confirms the Chun-Li and Tales bit, I think it’s an interesting bit that could connect. Emphasis on “could”, because we just don’t know, really.

The only reason I think it’s interesting is because, well, people used the same suggestion that “they could change it!” with the box, but they didn’t. If there are 2 music slots but three voice slots (I believe there are files to corroborate this, at least that’s what I was told) I think it’s plausible that we get 3 new characters, one of which comes from an existing series.

It fits along with the Chun-Leak, but it could fit with plenty of characters. So it doesn’t quite send us in any direction yet. I think it’s worth keeping in mind.

EDIT: So as I have just checked, this is indeed based on internal files, and not simply the UI. Apparently 3 more particular characters makes a perfect square in Squad Strike, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. It’s just interesting to think about. (Thanks to Flyboy Flyboy and Opossum Opossum for those tidbits I stole just now, lol).
(1) Official - Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion | Page 4282 | Smashboards

(1) Official - Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion | Page 4284 | Smashboards

It's just the UI. This comes from the same person that made the Theory

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Geno's best shot was Ultimate, and I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me when I say that his chances go downhill from here on out. Once cuts are back, Geno will be competing with fan favorites who have already made it in Smash at least once before. There's also likely going to be a larger time gap between Ultimate and the next Smash game, so there's bound to be a larger pool of new and relevant characters to choose from.

Geno will never become impossible, but it's only gonna be harder and harder to justify giving him priority over other characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Geno's best shot was Ultimate, and I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me when I say that his chances go downhill from here on out. Once cuts are back, Geno will be competing with fan favorites who have already made it in Smash at least once before. There's also likely going to be a larger time gap between Ultimate and the next Smash game, so there's bound to be a larger pool of new and relevant characters to choose from.

Geno will never become impossible, but it's only gonna be harder and harder to justify giving him priority over other characters.
Honestly I think the decline of his support base between Brawl and the announcement of his costume screwed him over in the long run. Even if characters like Isaac and Krystal aren't fighters, they still got more than a JPEG in the base game because their fanbases didn't die down as much.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random question regarding voices, I’m watching a cutscene movie of Crash 4 and it seems that while he has a voice he doesn’t necessarily have dialogue. Just grunts, yelps and the like?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
To be honest, I really don’t think Nintendo had an interest in Geno. Like I can’t really agree that Sephiroth, one of the most iconic villains in the history of the industry, would be a backup to...Geno, a party member of a generations old game.

Given what we know, I just don’t think that’s the case. Unfortunately I have doubts that Geno was ever taken seriously by Nintendo and Square Enix. I don’t mean that as a jab at fans of the character, I’m just speaking in terms of what I see of the situation.
I'm reminded of when Sakurai was negotiating with Square Enix, Terra and Bartz came up as candidates before settling on Cloud.

Of course we all know Gilgamesh's time is coming when Nintendo approaches SE for fourths.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Random question regarding voices, I’m watching a cutscene movie of Crash 4 and it seems that while he has a voice he doesn’t necessarily have dialogue. Just grunts, yelps and the like?
Yes: outside of Skylanders, Crash does not talk. I think he's said like maybe one or two words in the actual Crash games (like "pancakes!" in Crash of the Titans).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm reminded of when Sakurai was negotiating with Square Enix, Terra and Bartz came up as candidates before settling on Cloud.

Of course we all know Gilgamesh's time is coming when Nintendo approaches SE for fourths.
Watch as it’s Lightning. :troll:

actually you know what that would actually be kinda sick, imagine hearing Saber’s Edge in Smash. No matter what you think of the game u can’t deny that song SLAPS
Yes: outside of Skylanders, Crash does not talk. I think he's said like maybe one or two words in the actual Crash games (like "pancakes!" in Crash of the Titans).
Guess that doesn’t bode well for a Coco alt as unlike her brother she has full dialogue

Last edited:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I mean I get that they’re done with Ultimate for now, but it seems like everyone and their mother is asking that instead of rebooting Smash for the next entry, they give Ultimate the deluxe treatment on their next hardware. Yeah, easier said than done, but that’s gotta be they’re best course of action if they really want Smash to grow after Ultimate wraps up in 2021. Nobody wants a MvC Infinite situation.

And if Smash Ultimate: Deluxe does happen in 5 years when a new console exists... I think Geno would absolutely be in the running again.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As someone who's sick of Crash being considered a lock, I think he'd still have a slot in the sound test. They thought ROB's barely audible boops and Duck Hunt's 7 voice clips were worthy of sound test slots.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly I think the decline of his support base between Brawl and the announcement of his costume screwed him over in the long run. Even if characters like Isaac and Krystal aren't fighters, they still got more than a JPEG in the base game because their fanbases didn't die down as much.
I don't know if Isaac and Krystal are really great comparisons to Geno when Isaac and Krystal don't have all the ownership issues and BS Geno has to deal with. It's possible these said issues played a big part in Geno only getting a spirit and his old Smash 4 costume back, and not something a bit more notable like an AT or deluxe costume.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Waluigi will eventually be playable in a Smash game.

I think Geno missed his only shot though.
These are pretty much my thoughts on the situation.

Waluigi is extremely popular and will always be relevant thanks to Nintendo meme culture (and people like me who like him outside of memes, lol). He's pretty much this game's Ridley in my mind; heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the first confirmed next time given huge the outcry.

Geno...Well, he's only getting older, his support base is only getting older, he's only appeared in one spin-off game from 20 years ago now, and his parent companies don't really seem to care about him, so...Yeah, I don't think odds are great for the future: I really do think Ultimate was his last shot. It doesn't help that Mario RPGs as a series are pretty much dead right now, and thanks to things like the Wahoominati existing, I doubt we'll ever see a Mario RPG in the same vein as our old ones ever again. Even if Mario & Luigi come back someday, I fully expect them to be bashed with the NSMB ugly stick even harder than they were getting before. It's honestly a pretty heartbreaking set of circumstances us Mario RPG fans are in right now. :drsad:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Geno fans keep getting kicked down
...Are you insinuating that any Super Mario RPG reference that isn't Geno as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. is a kick to the Geno fans?

It's worth mentioning that this also counts for the slots. There are quite a handful of characters that are voiced, but don't actually use words or phrases, such as Mario and the Ice Climbers.

EDIT: I'd have to check to confirm, but I think even characters that aren't voiced have voice files, such as Bowser, the Kongs, and R.O.B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom