• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think there's gonna be at least one more "big" character on the pass, with the last two being more low key.
I think that's fair. I don't think they would have planned a 2 year pass with only big character on the first year. Personally my guess is that we're having one big character worldwide, one big character in Japan, but less popular in the West (a bit like Hero), and one more low key (like Terry).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Maybe in the Smash community, but not in general.

There's literally not a single Nintendo character at this point that would generate the kind of hype Steve or Sephiroth got.
But some of them can still generate hype, which is my entire point. Even if it's not as much as the latest reveals, hype is still hype.

Besides, if someone really expects Steve and Sephiroth to be topped, they'll definitely be dissapointed by the rest of the pass.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Probably Ryu Hayabusa at E3 lol.
There's gonna be an E3? I wasn't sure if COVID was going to be officially over by then. I live in California and just saw an article saying that they probably won't be able to fully vaccinate Cali until June. I swear, the nightmare never ends. It's like we're living in Bloodborne's Yharnam but the hunters are too lazy to clear the streets.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There's gonna be an E3? I wasn't sure if COVID was going to be officially over by then. I live in California and just saw an article saying that they probably won't be able to fully vaccinate Cali until June. I swear, the nightmare never ends. It's like we're living in Bloodborne's Yharnam but the hunters are too lazy to clear the streets.
It hasn't been cancelled yet, and even then, the fact that we still have COVID running around means the E3 staff could plan ahead of time if needed, unlike last year where it took the world by surprise ~10 weeks before the event.

Maybe we'll have that online event that was also cancelled last year?

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think that's fair. I don't think they would have planned a 2 year pass with only big character on the first year. Personally my guess is that we're having one big character worldwide, one big character in Japan, but less popular in the West (a bit like Hero), and one more low key (like Terry).
That's roughly where I'm at though I think the latter low key character could also be a Banjo esque fighter that's bigger in the West than Japan. I think I've already got a few company associations for the categories (Capcom/Konami for the worldwide character, Sega/Namco for the Japan oriented fighter, and Bethesda/Ubisoft/Activison for potential Western popular DLC) as presumptuous as that might be.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
That's roughly where I'm at though I think the latter low key character could also be a Banjo esque fighter that's bigger in the West than Japan. I think I've already got a few company associations for the categories (Capcom/Konami for the worldwide character, Sega/Namco for the Japan oriented fighter, and Bethesda/Ubisoft/Activison for potential Western popular DLC) as presumptuous as that might be.
Who were you thinking of for the Konami worldwide character? I can think of lots of potential for a popular Capcom rep, but none really come to my mind for Konami at this point. Especially since a lot of their characters have become "mii-ified".

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Who were you thinking of for the Konami worldwide character? I can think of lots of potential for a popular Capcom rep, but none really come to my mind for Konami at this point. Especially since a lot of their characters have become "mii-ified".
Something from Contra, maybe?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I figured Castlevania still has some potential, Raiden is still fairly popular in the context of Metal Gear, and Contra exists as an unlikely dark horse.

A few months ago I wouldn't have considered the former two, but Sephiroth has proven additional non-Echo third party characters from the same franchise are possible.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Something from Contra, maybe?
I'm absolutely thinking Contra, yes.

It's a bit wonky though, where most in Japan, NA and Europe think of the classic Contra games... and most who live in China and SEA (two emerging console regions Nintendo are targetting currently) think of the mobile game Contra Returns (which has released only in those two regions so far, but did really well it seems). Sakurai will likely stick to classic Contra because it's the closest association with Nintendo, but I could absolutely see elements like Spirits or remixes from Returns getting in.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still feeling folks are putting too much stock into Crash.

Honestly, I just don't see him happening. If we do get a "big" character I think it'll be more around to lines of Chun-Li or Ryu Hayabusa perhaps even a Tales rep.

I just don't think we're gonna get another one on the levels of Banjo and Steve.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
We don’t even know if there will be a Smash reveal at E3 2021.
Realistically we don't know if there will be an E3 at all. Decent chance if we get anything its some sort of online showcase by a few third parties with no incentive or need by Nintendo to participate. I think we might get a Smash reveal in June, but that'll owe more to those roughly happening every three months than anything else.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think Ryu Hayabusa could count as a more "low key" character. He's not that small or niche, but he's definitely not huge when you compare it to the others third party of the pass 2 so far (Minecraft and FF7). Another more low key I could see getting in would be someone from Ys.

So with my guess, my pass could go like this:
-Character popular worldwide: Capcom rep (Dante or Monster hunter), Solaire from Dark souls, Crash Bandicoot, second Sonic characters
-Character bigger in Japan: Phoenix Wright, Arle, Raiden, Level 5 character (Yokai watch or Layton), Reimu, other Namco characters (Tales of, Taiko no tatsujin Digimon, Xenosaga)
-Low key character or more Western character: Hayabusa, Ys rep, Rayman, Dragonborn, indie character (Hollow knight, Cadence etc.)

This is my general idea for now, but of course there's more character that could fit in those categories. For now I don't see first party as very likely, but maybe things will change.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm still feeling folks are putting too much stock into Crash.

Honestly, I just don't see him happening. If we do get a "big" character I think it'll be more around to lines of Chun-Li or Ryu Hayabusa perhaps even a Tales rep.

I just don't think we're gonna get another one on the levels of Banjo and Steve.
And judging by your expectations, you're putting too much stock in 5chan stuff and speculation trends because Tales and Chun were never on your radar before Sephiroth's reveal. And Hayabusa has had fake leaks since base game speculation. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And judging by your expectations, you're putting too much stock in 5chan stuff and speculation trends because Tales and Chun were never on your radar before Sephiroth's reveal. And Hayabusa has had fake leaks since base game speculation. :p
Pretty sure we can track Hyabusa 'leaks' to back before the full base roster was even known. He's been speculated & rumored for a LONG time. Honestly, the longer this drags out without his appearance, the less faith I have in him being added. Not that I'm really hoping for him or anything, I just have less confidence in a character appearing if its been 2 years now since the start of leaks for the character.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Getting triggered over me saying E3 over June despite Pass 2 being finalized before Covid like bruh.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Pretty sure we can track Hyabusa 'leaks' to back before the full roster was even known.
Hence why I said "base game speculation" :p

He's been speculated & rumored for a LONG time. Honestly, the longer this drags out without his appearance, the less faith I have in him being added. Not that I'm really hoping for him or anything, I just have less confidence in a character appearing if its been 2 years now since the start of leaks for the character.
I feel the same way, honestly. You can't even argue that's it's difficulties with communications either, considering Sakurai would likely have talked with Koei about the Fatal Frame content. Yes, Nintendo co-owns the IP, but that's exactly it, they co-own it, and Sakurai likely wouldn't have liked to leave Koei out of the discussions because of it.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Pretty sure we can track Hyabusa 'leaks' to back before the full base roster was even known. He's been speculated & rumored for a LONG time. Honestly, the longer this drags out without his appearance, the less faith I have in him being added. Not that I'm really hoping for him or anything, I just have less confidence in a character appearing if its been 2 years now since the start of leaks for the character.
Well, Steve also had many leak before the game even release, so I wouldn't count Hayabusa out for that. Perhaps Hayabusa is taking longer than expected to deal like Steve apparently took around 5 years. My guess is that pass 2 was actually planned more early than we think (maybe around the same time as pass 1 they already start thinking about pass 2), so Steve and maybe Hayabusa could have been saved for that moment.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I feel like Byleth makes everyone think that. I would wager that Waluigi would get people just as hype as most third party characters. In fact, Western audiences would probably be more hype about Waluigi than they were for Hero or Terry.
To be fair, Waluigi is pretty much one of the few Nintendo characters that would have a bigger reaction than most third parties. Maybe the only one. And I'm not someone who thinks first party picks can't be hype or interesting.
It's just that seeing Nintendo's track record with first parties and DLC, I'm not expecting the likes of Isaac, Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee, characters that would appeal to the hardcore Smash fans, being chosen for DLC.

If we're gonna get another first party character I'm expecting someone who won't really cater to the majority of Smash fans. Not necessarily Fire Emblem or Pokémon, maybe someone like Min Min. ARMS wasn't particularly popular among core fans at least since base roster speculation.
And that's the thing, when people talks about first party characters they usually mention the fan favorites, but for better of worse I'm not expecting those characters to be among the final 3 slots.

I only see Rex or Waluigi making it. Though if they prove me wrong I wouldn't complain at all.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Ryu Hayabusa could count as a more "low key" character. He's not that small or niche, but he's definitely not huge when you compare it to the others third party of the pass 2 so far (Minecraft and FF7). Another more low key I could see getting in would be someone from Ys.

-Character popular worldwide: Capcom rep (Dante or Monster hunter), Solaire from Dark souls, Crash Bandicoot, second Sonic characters
-Character bigger in Japan: Phoenix Wright, Arle, Raiden, Level 5 character (Yokai watch or Layton), Reimu, other Namco characters (Tales of, Taiko no tatsujin Digimon, Xenosaga)
-Low key character or more Western character: Hayabusa, Ys rep, Rayman, Dragonborn, indie character (Hollow knight, Cadence etc.)

This is my general idea for now, but of course there's more character that could fit in those categories. For now I don't see first party as very likely, but maybe things will change.
Just for the record, Ys in one of those games where it's the same guy the whole way through (Not counting the distant prequel from 700 years before he was born). If we get a fighter from Ys, 99% it's gonna be Adol.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

True, but considering I can't see any other Third Parties besides him at the moment, he would probably be placed at June by default unless we somehow got Waluigi lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom