• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I remember when people were beginning to get their hopes up for Paper Mario this pass.

...then the spirit event happened lol.

And then people got their hopes up for Impa and then the very same thing happened lol
If I had a nickel for everytime something like this happened, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice.

Minimilk

Smash Rookie
Important question: Does his down special still counters if the opponent picks the scissors or does it only work on the rock?
It depends. If they use scissors you have to press down b very president in order to buff up power. Then you survive. But if you mess up, it does a critical hit.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I replay think Paper Mario would be a good character. Just to bring some light to the paper Mario games. He would have to be a character who isn’t an echo to Mario though. I think a good identical move would be up-b and that’s it.
Move set:
Side B- Hammer Smash
Neutral B: Paper Ball throw
Down b: counter

I didn’t have a lot of time to think of themove set, so someone give me ideas!
I'd imagine it'd go something like this:
  • Neutral Special: Partner Mechanic (how this would work exactly I dunno)
  • Side Special: Spin Dash or Hurlammer
  • Up Special: Parakarry
  • Down Special: Spin Jump
If I had a nickel for everytime something like this happened, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice.
Pft. If you had a nickel for every single time this happened you'd be freaking rich. Dat jus how it be.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Real talk, why hasn’t Tekken gotten a Spirit Event yet?

YOU WERE EXPECTING ME TO SAY UNDERTALE FOR THE 50TH TIME IN A ROW? TOO BAD.
Same reason we haven't received Persona 4/3, Goemon, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, and No More Heroes spirit events.

Because the team thought they'd be fine only as Mii Costumes.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, one of my favorite things about the new remixes is how composers get to work with other franchises' music, and seeing what comes of it. There are combinations like...
  • Jun Senoue (from Crush 40) arranging a Mega Man 4 medley
  • ACE (who wrote some of my favorite songs from Xenoblade 1 & 2) remixing Halland/Dalarna for Steve and Beneath the Mask for Joker
  • Yuzo Koshiro (one of the composers for Ys I & II, among a lot of other things) remixing the Psycho Soldier theme, with Kanako Kotera (who sang the majority of the vocal tracks for Trails at least through Cold Steel II) providing vocals
  • Keiichi Okabe (the lead composer for the NieR series) arranging Aerith's theme
  • Masafumi Takada (composer for Danganronpa & No More Heroes) putting a trap beat in the Banjo-Kazooie main theme
I love seeing how each composer puts their own personal touch on the remixes, and I hope that regardless of who gets in next, there are some more interesting combinations like those.
I’d kill to see some of these composers cover Halo music. Or to hear them cover “Devils Never Cry” & “Devil Trigger”.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been away from the Smash speculation a while to update the Homestar Wiki. Are there any new rumours since Septhiroth came out?
A pretty big one, actually. A Ayumi Tachibana brought up a big 5chan post from around the release of SSBU's base game, detailing negotiations for characters who didn't show up. It got Steve and Erdrick right, went into detail about how Sora and Geno were considered by dropped, and noted that Sephiroth was in consideration as well. Aside from that, it also mentioned that Chun-Li was dealt for but "was replaced by Ken somehow," and both Lloyd and Yuri were in the planning stages but didn't show up either.

This one ended up called stuff like the "Chun-Leak" or "Tales of Chun-Li" despite the fact that both only got a sentence dedicated to them, so here's the important parts:

"Chun-Li was planned but replaced by Ken somehow. Lloyd and Yuri were also in the planning stages, but they disappeared too.

That's it. That's the post."

Last edited:

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Are there any other major leaks right now other than the whole Chun-Li/Tales of stuff? As cool as Chun-Li or a Tales of character would be, I'm getting a bit tired about talking about it.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Are there any other major leaks right now other than the whole Chun-Li/Tales of stuff? As cool as Chun-Li or a Tales of character would be, I'm getting a bit tired about talking about it.
There were 2 other rumors that had Sephiroth on it, these are also most likely fake.

Leak 1
-Reimu
-Crash
-KOS-MOS

Leak 2
-Rayman
-Hayabusa
-Doomguy

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically we likely won't get a flood of news/leaks/rumors until get closer to the next Smash reveal, so probably another month of guesswork at least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There were 2 other rumors that had Sephiroth on it, these are also most likely fake.

Leak 1
-Reimu
-Crash
-KOS-MOS

Leak 2
-Rayman
-Hayabusa
-Doomguy
Leak 2 can be considered more of a wishlist as it also mentions Ninjara, who got Costume’d.

KOS-MOS/Reimu/Crash could be true but only if either Reimu or KOS-MOS are next. Crash wouldn’t be a solid confirm either way

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Cadence Feels the Rhythm!
Heavy Revs Up!
Frisk is Determined to Smash!
Bandana Waddle Dee Proves Himself!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Madeline Climbs to Greatness!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Phoenix Wright Convicts The Competition!
Pyramid Head Prepares His Punishment!
Porky Plays Dead!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Cadence Feels the Rhythm!
Heavy Revs Up!
Frisk is Determined to Smash!
Bandana Waddle Dee Proves Himself!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Madeline Climbs to Greatness!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Reese Batters Up!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Um

someone is telling me there’ll be a sakurai livestream on the 16th??? THIS SOON DEADASS????

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Leak 2 can be considered more of a wishlist as it also mentions Ninjara, who got Costume’d.

KOS-MOS/Reimu/Crash could be true but only if either Reimu or KOS-MOS are next. Crash wouldn’t be a solid confirm either way
To be honest I'd only go with KOS-MOS in this situation. Reimu's been brought up a lot lately due to her size in Japan and status in the indie scene, whereas KOS-MOS is mostly supported by MonoSoft. Either way, when credible leakers only know who's next a couple days to a week in advance, I kinda doubt someone could just dump the entire remaining pass.

...It's gonna be hell when were on the last fighter and we can't use that excuse anymore
Um

someone is telling me there’ll be a sakurai livestream on the 16th??? THIS SOON DEADASS????
That was from last year

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well there was that Falcom 4chan "leak" that was partially responsible for making people consider them as a viable option for DLC. I don't think there was any new development related to that leak in terms of the things it predicted, but as of now I see it as likely as the Reimu/Crash/KOS-MOS leak.

The Dracula Argument doesn't really work for Geraldo because The Dracula in Castlevania is just a character named Dracula, Castlevania is not an adaptation of the Dracula book (Even then it's public domain now), Dr. Kawashima works more in favor for Saber or Zhao Yun because they are heavily fictionalized versions of the original person (again same with Dracula, King Arthur and Zhao Yun are public domain)

Witcher the book series and Witcher the game Franchise share the same IP and Copyright, No Matter how you look at it, The Witcher is a Book franchise with Video games. Castlevania is not suddenly an Anime franchise because the Anime got popular,
Yeah I never understood this comparison.

Geralt is a book character. Could he be added to Smash? I guess so, but I wouldn't really think he's possible. Maybe he isn't as unlikely as the likes of Goku and company, but that's it.

Nothing against him, in fact, I love the character. I played Witcher 2, Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of this generation and I've read the first 4 books of his adventures.

I mean, it's obvious that nowadays The Witcher is clearly more known for the games than for the books, but as you said, you could make a similar case for Castlevania. The Netflix series is popular, Netflix is big, so a lot of people unfamiliar with Castlevania's existence or videogames in general would probably think "Castlevania? You mean that Netflix anime?" if you ask them.

And I think anyone can see that because of that Castlevania isn't suddenly an anime show first and not a videogame series. A Song of Ice and Fire is more well known thanks to Game of Thrones TV show but it's still a book franchise in it's core.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Finally there’s the LoL rumor, which predicted LoL-universe games and the ToM spirit event. It hinges on a Hollow Knight Mii with a remix of sealed vessel, and said mii could come either before or with the LoL character

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
I have to say though, the Reimu, Crash, KOS-MOS leak sounds pretty interesting. I can already imagine how mad some people would get with two pretty obscure characters considering I saw ****ing Sephiroth was considered a "literal who" or a "generic anime character" by some...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have to say though, the Reimu, Crash, KOS-MOS leak sounds pretty interesting. I can already imagine how mad some people would get with two pretty obscure characters considering I saw ****ing Sephiroth was considered a "literal who" or a "generic anime character" by some...
Now you get THREE! :4pacman:

oh and uh Crash is there too I guess

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's quite telling that it was using the same background as Byleth's teaser
I've seen people post that on Discord, only to fail because it now shows the dates on embedded Tweets.

SKX31

Smash Master
Why all the Belmont hate in Smash? Especially since they're seemingly countered by half the roster?

(Again, I only ask because I think any DLC character with a heavy focus on projectiles - Doomguy, Master Chief, Arthur, etc - would be just as hated once the hype wore off and I'd love to know why.)
It's not just Belmonts, Olimar, Duct Hunt, Ness, Robin etc. also get called brainless spam characters a lot.

I think the reason mostly boils down to most Smash fans not being good at this game as much as they claim to be. It's easier to make other people feel bad for playing a character you're not good at playing against rather than just getting better at the game.
I'm going to add to this:

Projectile-heavy characters often draw ire because they shut down the opponent's adrealine - and it becomes mentally draining if one can't get in vs. projectile-heavy characters. Yes, there are a lot of Smash fans who are not as good as they claim to be - that's the case wíth any game, especially multiplayer-oriented ones.

As someone who's mid-high Elite Smash level (nowhere near the pros', though) one of the aspects that I've noticed about low-mid level play (lets say Silver / Gold in LoL / Overwatch*) is that a lot of people tend to mash, panic or lose their temper more often when at a disadvantage, and it becomes evident vs. projectile heavy characters where that adrealine is shut down. Especially in doubles. Spectate mode provides ample evidence since Spectate shows off matches from all over the GSP bracket:

And it ties into Osby's point, that really, a lot of people - especially at the low / mid level play - don't know how to handle heavy projectile use (that's not to imply that heavy projectile use is automatically shut down at higher levels: smart projectile use can trip up anyone - and an opponent who can anticipate the projectile user's next move can turn the tables quickly). Low / mid level is also much more instinctively aggressive - a lot of people will either deafult to "try and get up close and hit 'em really, really hard" OR default to projectile use. It's a phenomenon that's not restricted to Smash Bros. - it's common in multiplayer games, and that's one reason I brought up the "Silver / Gold" thing.

With the Belmonts in particular, they're disliked not just because of the projectiles, but also since they're arguably defined by their general keepaway and ledgetrapping. Again, the whole shutting down adrealine thing applies to the Belmonts: they're not characters who work best up close, but who - if I may generalize - want to use the whip and projectiles to keep the opponent at a safe distance and maintain stage control. That can drain the opponent's adrealine - it's also arguably a main reason why so many pros complain about Sonic and Min Min.

(And I should also add K. Rool to that list: as he's seen as "Krown and Kannoball spam the character")

(*If GSP followed LoL's rank distribution - Silver being 33 % of the playerbase, Gold 29 %, Silver would be ca. 1,75-4,75 million GSP, Gold would be ca. 4,75 million-7,25 million. Elite Smash would be in the middle of Platinum. Max GSP is estimated to be 8,9 million.)

Then again, I'm puretty sure even Steve got the "Literal Who" label (even if very infrequently) by hardcore detractors. And Steve's one of the most recognized characters worldwide (I'm not counting stuff that's only known in one or two regions - like "100 million daily players in China and that's kinda it" Honor of Kings).

Now you get THREE! :4pacman:

oh and uh Crash is there too I guess

(Sorry Rie, couldn't resist.)

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
By the way, if the Smash team were to add any character specifically for pleasing Smash fans, who do you guys think would get added?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I’m not surprised by the anime swordsman complaint but “Literally who?”? Sephiroth is one of the most beloved video game villains among the gaming community.

KOS-MOS and Reimu aren’t even that unknown. Touhou is pretty well-known in Japan and KOS-MOS has made tons of crossover appearances.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
By the way, if the Smash team were to add any character specifically for pleasing Smash fans, who do you guys think would get added?
At this point I think the guy who fits that category the best would be Isaac, who was a regular poll-topper and, if those new trademarks are any indication, Nintendo still has plans for his series. Everyone else is either deconfirmed, doesn't have enough content to support their packs, or has more going for them than just fan support.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m not surprised by the anime swordsman complaint but “Literally who?”? Sephiroth is one of the most beloved video game villains among the gaming community.

KOS-MOS and Reimu aren’t even that unknown. Touhou is pretty well-known in Japan and KOS-MOS has made tons of crossover appearances.
Touhou also has a decent western following, you got cosplayers, TONS of memes, a fair amount of western Twitch/YouTube streamers playing those games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom