• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Honestly at this point, are there really any left field picks they could do?
Nintendo's broken so many fan rules and barriers. Only a few barriers remain imo.
Waluigi is the most out of left field character I can think of. People still talk about him, but nobody thinks he's gonna be in the game because of a lot of fan rules. So I would consider him out of left field.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Waluigi is the most out of left field character I can think of. People still talk about him, but nobody thinks he's gonna be in the game because of a lot of fan rules. So I would consider him out of left field.
Bro so many people are predicting Waluigi as the next logical step in Nintendo's supposed "deconstruction" of fan rules. He wouldn't be out of left field at all.

Now MY MOM would be really out of left field you feeling me?

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Bro so many people are predicting Waluigi as the next logical step in Nintendo's supposed "deconstruction" of fan rules. He wouldn't be out of left field at all.

I know a lot of people talk about him, but more people think he's not gonna be in the game than people do. He's an assist trophy, we've never had an assist trophy in the same game. A lot of people think he won't be in for that reason.

"out of left field" means something that can't be predicted. I don't see very many people actually predicting Waluigi. I see more people requesting him.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Interesting quote.
But if something's happened once, for instance, I think it's definitely plausible to expect or understand how it could happen another time.
But we don't consciously account for every variation of something that would fall in line with our conception of what's possible. In fact there's a depth of characters who wouldn't challenge that notion, they just lack the merits to be seen as realistic.

Let's say we get, for example, Viewtiful Joe. He doesn't break any fan rules. He doesn't redefine our perception of who can get in. In fact, he used to be kinda popular. But he's not expected just because he's seen to be outranked by other candidates. Getting him would be thoroughly left field.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know a lot of people talk about him, but more people think he's not gonna be in the game than people do. He's an assist trophy, we've never had an assist trophy in the same game. A lot of people think he won't be in for that reason.

"out of left field" means something that can't be predicted. I don't see very many people actually predicting Waluigi. I see more people requesting him.
If anything, it'd be an AT that isn't Waluigi that's actually left field for most people.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507

Now MY MOM would be really out of left field you feeling me?
Bruh people really think Nintendo is thinking about "breaking fan rules" when deciding characters? even when they were decided like two years ago?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
If anything, it'd be an AT that isn't Waluigi that's actually left field for most people.
You're right about that. I never tried to argue that point though. All I'm saying is that being an AT makes you out of left field. Even if Waluigi is the most predicted assist trophy, that doesn't mean people think he's likely. The majority of the people take Assist Trophies to be hard deconfirmation, even the ones who don't argue against Waluigi specifically for reasons like "moveset potential" "stage potential "spirit board potential" and "music potential"

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Bruh people really think Nintendo is thinking about "breaking fan rules" when deciding characters? even when they were decided like two years ago?
That's why the word "deconstruction" was prefaced by "supposed" and surrounded in air quotes.

People are predicting Waluigi at this point because he's a popular character and Pass 2 has multiple precedents of not giving a **** about past statements or fan rules. He'd by no means be out of left field, and I think he's likelier now more than ever.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
That's why the word "deconstruction" was prefaced by "supposed" and surrounded in air quotes.

People are predicting Waluigi at this point because he's a popular character and Pass 2 has multiple precedents of not giving a **** about past statements or fan rules. He'd by no means be out of left field, and I think he's likelier now more than ever.
Ok. I'm sure we can both agree that Steve was out of left field right? Some people predicted him, but people found the idea of him being in the game too laughable to seriously consider him.

Tell me how it's not the same for Waluigi.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
So would anybody actually be surprised if Waluigi the last fighter? I’m guessing people would have been more surprised if he came earlier in the pass.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Today in 2014, "FATAL FRAME Maiden of Black Water" is on sale !! A work that shoots grudges with a projector that captures invisible things, fights and breaks the curse. In the development of Smash Bros. SP, when I was particular about the insanely scary expression, it turned out to be a crap ...

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Today in 2014, "FATAL FRAME Maiden of Black Water" is on sale !! A work that shoots grudges with a projector that captures invisible things, fights and breaks the curse. In the development of Smash Bros. SP, when I was particular about the insanely scary expression, it turned out to be a crap ...
It turned out to be a WHAT
:jojo:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Pic of the Day:

Its awful that the game was a digital release only back then. It basically killed any chances for it selling well at all. I´ll never understand that decision.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
IMO, “out of left field” for we Smashboards speculators refers simply to literally anyone who isn’t among the commonly speculated characters.
It also means odd or strange, and while even if Waluigi is moderately predicted, he definitely is a strange pick.

If anything, he's the same kind of "out of left field" that Steve was.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Oh this'll be cool.

A little trip down memory lane.
If sakurai's going over the major moments in Smash's pre-release cycle, he'll have to address the August 8th direct that too my knowledge has still been taken off of Youtube. Will be interesting to see what he does when he gets to it since he linked to a specific trailer in this post.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It also means odd or strange, and while even if Waluigi is moderately predicted, he definitely is a strange pick.

A character with a 55% percent chance of being in isnt an out of the left field either. And its based on something you declared:

I think the final character is like 55/45 in Waluigi's favor. It could be anyone else but it's more likely to be him.
AMaybe go for a pick with an actual low rating like Amaterasu, or that Reimu girl or someone from Phantasy Star.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
A character with a 55% percent chance of being in isnt an out of the left field either. And its based on something you declared:
I never said that he was of left field in my opinion. I said he was out of left field in the community's opinion.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I never said that he was of left field in my opinion. I said he was out of left field in the community's opinion.
His mod video has what, 3 million views?

I wouldn't call a 3 million view vid a left view of the community.

You act like because a small, SMALL vocal minority online poo-poo Waluigi's chances that people don't expect him. Go to Reddit, Twitter, YouTube comments and you'll see people talk about Waluigi in droves.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Its rather disingenuous to put that a character is likely (above 50%) and then try to construct it as unlikely by trying to use a different standard. Why not instead of trying to speak for a community you speak for yourself for what its unlikely?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Its rather disingenuous to put that a character is likely (above 50%) and then try to construct it as unlikely by trying to use a different standard. Why not instead of trying to speak for a community you speak for yourself for what its unlikely?
I'm saying that most people think Walugi is unlikely. I'm not including my opinion into my estimation of whether he's out of left field or not.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Waluigi is probably the most talked about character for Ultimate. Hes been a consistent name in every cycle. Even after his assist was shown off there were still quite a few people talking about him for base (at least on other platforms, not sure about here). I really wouldn't call him all that a surprising pick, even though he is mostly seen as unlikely, that's because basically everybody has been seen as unlikely.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
His mod video has what, 3 million views?

I wouldn't call a 3 million view vid a left view of the community.

You act like because a small, SMALL vocal minority online poo-poo Waluigi's chances that people don't expect him. Go to Reddit, Twitter, YouTube comments and you'll see people talk about Waluigi in droves.
People don't expect him, they WANT him. Almost every time I every start a discussion about him people say he won't be in the game. Even the people in the comments of that youtube video say he's not gonna be in the game.

He does have some people predicting him, so does Steve. Does that make him not out of left field?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well, the context of odd or strange is one thing, but the context of the conversation has been unexpected. Even in your first post on the topic you had framed it as him being unexpected. Which he's not really, in the grand scheme of relativity. I mean he's the only character with an existing, potentially conflicting role that people still aren't dismissing. That's quite the testament.

Crash Bandicoot is an odd character, I mean he's a giant insane mutated bandicoot. But he's not out of left field in the context we're talking about, because he's been like the only character steadily and heavily predicted from start to finish during DLC.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I'm saying that most people think Walugi is unlikely. I'm not including my opinion into my estimation of whether he's out of left field or not.
Like I pointed out before, why not just say which is an unlikely choice for you? Instead of trying to spin a question into the lastest "How can I frame Waluigi into the discussion?"

Shroob

Sup?
People don't expect him, they WANT him. Almost every time I every start a discussion about him people say he won't be in the game. Even the people in the comments of that youtube video say he's not gonna be in the game.

He does have some people predicting him, so does Steve. Does that make him not out of left field?
Steve was widely predicted by a metric crap ton of people. We had to have a thread JUST to contain people debating if Steve or Banjo would get in so it'd stop cluttering up this thread.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Steve was widely predicted by a metric crap ton of people. We had to have a thread JUST to contain people debating if Steve or Banjo would get in so it'd stop cluttering up this thread.
Because Vergeben leaked him. Even after Vergeben leaked him, people found the idea of Steve being in the game too surreal to seriously consider it.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
To be fair I wouldn't care about Waluigi being added or not as CP11, it wouldn't make me angry, dissapointed or happy. However, I don't know what's the smash/nintendo's fanbase obsession wtih Waluigi, I don't see anything special with that character, to me is just a generic bad guy and I have played most of the mario sports games.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The last character's gonna be a mom? Quick, someone make a list of video game mommies! :4pacman:
Hard Mode: Name a bunch that don't die.
Extreme Mode: Name a single one from a narrative focused game that is important to the plot, and doesn't die before, after, during, or is even presumed dead during said plot.
Impossible Mode: None of them can come from Fire Emblem: Awakening, or Fire Emblem: Fates.

Shroob

Sup?
Because Vergeben leaked him. Even after Vergeben leaked him, people found the idea of Steve being in the game too surreal to seriously consider it.
Not really.

Vergeben leaked "Minecraft content", and didn't personally believe it'd be a character. When Rathalos was datamined to be END_DRAGON in the code, people assumed that Rathalos' codenamed had been mistaken for Enderdragon.

It was Hitagi that 'leaked' Steve, and Hitagi was full of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom