• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Couldn't the Disney music licensing be due to, you know, a Disney game being in the Direct?
It was specified that the music was
  • a) From Kingdom Hearts, and
  • b) for an event on October 5
So it's very much for Sora if true.
So I had a thought on why perhaps we are waiting till October 5th for the Reveal

So the thought is maybe that the Reveal trailer for CP11 is tied to whatever the Bonus Piece of content is. This would especially be true if the Bonus piece of content happened to be something that's like a New type of Story mode, or Expansion on the Story mode already in the game, as Hero and Sephiroth's Trailer show, they have incorporated story elements into the trailer

With that being said, I did have a theory. It may be on crack, but it could be Possible

So I remember this rumor from back then

Nintendo wasn't buying what Disney was Selling - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

So Pretty much the gist is that Nintendo wanted Sora, but Disney wanted not only Sora, but Also Mickey, with a bunch of stages, Music, etc, which would cost 2/3rd of the Fighter Pass (so $20), and that Nintendo turned it down

But with the Bonus slot thing being available, I have a theory about CP11, and also the Bonus Content

Sora is CP11, With Mickey and other pieces of Content being extra DLC

So Pretty much the gist is that Nintendo and Disney managed to figure out a Compromise to appeal to both sides, so here would be the deal

Sora will be CP11, and will come with the usual Fighter Pass Content: a Stage, Music, and Spirits.

Mickey, along with More stages, More Music, and perhaps even more Spirits will be the Bonus Content.

This would explain certain things

-Why this Content is Bonus in the First place, and only tied to FP2 (as the Listing suggests). Because the Bonus content is tied to Specific Fighter in FP2 (in this case Sora)

-Why not only a Character like Sora is being saved for last, but also why this Bonus Content would only be revealed just now. Developing More Content than usual (with the extra Stages, Extra Character in Mickey, etc) would take some serious time, and put Sora at last

-Why CP11 will be revealed separately in a Presentation, and how this Bonus Content will fit into the Presentation. Because If you are gonna separate the Kingdom Hearts content that's featured in the trailer, you got to explain how Sora is CP11, but Mickey is the Bonus Content. You don't want people to be confused on what exactly they are getting. And since both CP11 and the Bonus Content is from the same Series, they both fit into each other into one presentation

In terms of the Pricing, if this is to be true, This Bonus content will be free for People that purchased FP2, as the Fighter Pass Sales will cover the costs of the not only all the FP2 fighters, but the Mickey Extra content it comes with

Otherwise, if you don't purchase FP2, Sora Challenger will be the usual $5.99, while the Mickey Portion will be an extra $5-$15 on top of all of that.

And if they were telling the truth, this would also explain why people like Alpharad and Maximillian know who the character is way in advance (in that Nintendo probably flew them out to let them see the trailer early and get reactions). According the Max, this Final Character is Crazy, and Having not only Sora, but also Mickey would be one of the biggest announcements in Smash History, if not the Biggest.

But if that's not the case, than My guess would be some type of Substantial New Mode. Something like Smash Run which may even feature enemies from the DLC Franchises, or something like New Boss Rush that includes New Bosses to the game, or something along those lines. Something that's big enough and would take good amount of Development that they would charge premium for, but are also willing to offer to people that have bought the DLC
This is even more of a crack theory than my own tinfoil hat theory, but I love it nonetheless. Mickey in Smash sounds like something out of a fever dream, and would cement Smash Ultimate as the ultimate character fighter.

I'd see Mickey being a premium Mii Costume more than anything else though.

Also, you have a source for the listing and Alpha and Max already knowing the fighter?

Shroob

Sup?

This is even more of a crack theory than my own tinfoil hat theory, but I love it nonetheless. Mickey in Smash sounds like something out of a fever dream, and would cement Smash Ultimate as the ultimate character fighter.

I'd see Mickey being a premium Mii Costume more than anything else though.

Also, you have a source for the listing and Alpha and Max already knowing the fighter?
Alpharad tweeted that he already knew who the fighter was.

Max did a response tweet saying he did too.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alpharad tweeted that he already knew who the fighter was.

Max did a response tweet saying he did too.
Alpharad was most likely memeing

Max tho, idk if he was memeing too

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A bunch of fighters finally getting formal stages for themselves would have been pretty cool, even something I probably would have bought a pass for.

Levels for Dr. Mario, K Rool, Pirahna Plant, Dark Samus, ROB, & Ken? There's some appeal there.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Alpharad was most likely memeing

Max tho, idk if he was memeing too
I wouldn't be surprised if Max knew that Alpharad is internet funnyman and just joined along on the joking.

Besides, he's got his own share of meme moments, like trying to make any KoF15 teaser picture look like Rock Howard.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd be surprised, since the only new stage we've gotten not tied to a character is a smol version of an existing stage.
TBF Small Battlefield not only expands the options online - sure it's polishing a car crash but it's still nice to see - it is effectively a variant to Hazards Off PS2. Which is nice by its own accord - although I wouldn't mind Small Battlefield having its own forms a la Omega and Battlefield, or a more complete stage select option in the Preferred Rules.

Yeah, Preferred Rules is its own can of worms (namely the inability to strictly enforce rules), but still.

Yeah Alpha was more than likely memeing. That's very much an Alpharad-esque joke imo.

Max's response is odd though.
I wouldn't think much of Max's response.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he said it was Rock.
While the tweets are odd, I'm honestly leaning hard towards them just joking around. It's hypotheoretically possible if Nintendo absolutely wanted to, but Nintendo / Sakurai have shown no indication that they consider contacting influential Youtubers or Smashers before their reveals. And I'm not just talking Smash here, I'm talking their stuff generally - Nintendo's own tendencies for secrecy is only rivaled by Valve if you ask me.

I'm gonna raise an eyebrow if say Youtubers / Smashers who are not known for joking around and / or Japanese people like Zackray or MKR Channel start saying the same thing though. Even in those cases I'd be inclined to believe that they're joking around, but still.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While the tweets are odd, I'm honestly leaning hard towards them just joking around. It's hypotheoretically possible if Nintendo absolutely wanted to, but Nintendo / Sakurai have shown no indication that they consider contacting influential Youtubers or Smashers before their reveals. And I'm not just talking Smash here, I'm talking their stuff generally - Nintendo's own tendencies for secrecy is only rivaled by Valve if you ask me.

I'm gonna raise an eyebrow if say Youtubers / Smashers who are not known for joking around and / or Japanese people like Zackray or MKR Channel start saying the same thing though. Even in those cases I'd be inclined to believe that they're joking around, but still.
So it was bait and people took that bait :4pacman:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Okay, so this is just a random thought I had.

An Undertale/Deltarune rep being CP11 explains why this reveal took so long.

Since its taking around 2~3 weeks more for CP11s reveal than with the usual Smash character, and both E3 and the recent September Direct would have been perfect times to reveal the character; perhaps there was some ulterior reason for the wait?

Enter Deltarune Chapter 2. With the game literally just making it to Switch, the wait could have been to give consumers time to experience the game on a Nintendo platform. Nintendo even seems to have gotten special treatment for Chapter 2 as the Chapter 1 port came to Switch and PS4 at the same time. Now the Switch port was given priority it seems.

The wait having been to get Chapter 2 content in the game also explains why there is so much space between the reveal of CP11 and the given deadline of December. Since there was a lot of experimenting with how Deltarune as a whole would take shape in, putting the rep off to the end means there was ample time to line things up.

Not saying I think Frisk or whoever is CP11, but I personally consider them a frontrunner now.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
It's weird.

Max really doesn't interact with the Smash community a whole lot aside from reaction videos and occasionally streaming Ultimate.

So it can be taken either way. He does have connections to the industry, but ehhhh
What's the benefit of him knowing early though?
Other than his personal gain?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
What's the benefit of him knowing early though?
Other than his personal gain?
That's why he's memeing.

The only way he could possibly know is if the character is from a fighting game made by an American company, because that's usually the insider stuff he gets whenever he has any iirc.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
The only way he could possibly know is if the character is from a fighting game made by an American company,
and THAT ladies and gentlemen is how Scorpion wins.

Also,
Maybe Alpha and/or Max was, for sure, either joking, or MAYBE
They think they know who it is speculation wise and are super confident about their prediction.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused, why are people acting like Max signed a contract where he isn't allowed to joke about video game stuff? I could totally see him just playing along

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

Does the original "leak" know for a fact that it was Sora for Smash, or was he merely assuming that's what it must have been and stating it as fact?

Because I strongly, STRONGLY doubt that Nintendo would acquire music for fighter pack 11 merely a month before reveal/release, and not already have it. As well as involve Disney Music Group in the secret. It makes FAR more sense to me for the leaker to have overheard "acquiring music for a digital event" and assumed it must have been for Sora. Especially considering, due to the presence of licensed music, there is a need to have acquired it during the formation of the direct.

As well, I see absolutely no reason why Sora shouldn't have been in this direct. It makes zero sense to announce the announcement here and cut your viewerbase down compared to just... revealing it right then and there. The last time they did something like that was for EVO 2018 and the August direct.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Don't do it, Gil.

Don't give me hope.
No.
I will. :4pacman:
Trailer starts.
Flashbacks to the boxing ring fights we've seen in Kencineroar's trailer followed by new footage of a Terry v Min Min fight.
Terry, Ken, Min Min, and Incineroar are just walking out in the wild enjoying themselves together after some brawling. All of a sudden, the sunny sky goes dark, leaves are blowing, and the fighters notice what's going on and are cautious.

Suddenly, you hear two screams.
Ken and Terry are nowhere to be found.
Min Min begins to freak out, while Incineroar tries to calm her down and take a look himself at what's going on. He pauses, turns around.
A Kunai comes behind and pierces the **** out of him, and then the iconic holy catchphrase is heard...
GET OVER HERE!

Terrified at what she witnessed Min Min runs for her life in the the forest. She's alone, isolated, feeling as if she's in a void and holding on to nothing but her own fear.
All of a sudden, she sees something in the distance. It's.. a gong?
Curious as to what she's encountered, she strikes it with her mighty Dragon Arm.
And then..
The one
and only
MK theme song comes on...
Flames surround Min Min as she finds herself cornered in fire and in song. Out of nowhere, one flame comes alive and strikes Min Min with a blow towards a tree with great knock back.
The flame turns into a skeleton. the skeleton into the body. the body into the ninja himself..

SCORPION GETS OVER HERE!

After a bit of gameplay, as the "Kano..Liu Kang" part of the song plays, the original 8 come out of nowhere in the forest after Scorpion, only for them to whip their *****, but in a shocking twist, the names "Mario...Donkey Kong" etc are heard instead.
After he's done with them all:
Scorpion is about to walk away. He goes "Huh. I can handle Smash." A figure thinks otherwise: "You must defeat my Shroyuken to stand a chance.. Scorpion." ITS ******* RYU
Cue a 90 second CGI 1v1 duel
Ryu ends up beating Scorpion.
But THEN (can't catch a break can we?) an Icicle nearly impales Ryu in the head as he narrowly dodges it.
Out of the blue comes a familiar silhouette saying "Are you a worthy kombatant, Street Boy?"

SUB-ZERO FREEZES THE KOMPETITION!

Cue gameplay.
SSBU X Mortal Kombat

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No.
I will. :4pacman:
Trailer starts.
Flashbacks to the boxing ring fights we've seen in Kencineroar's trailer followed by new footage of a Terry v Min Min fight.
Terry, Ken, Min Min, and Incineroar are just walking out in the wild enjoying themselves together after some brawling. All of a sudden, the sunny sky goes dark, leaves are blowing, and the fighters notice what's going on and are cautious.

Suddenly, you hear two screams.
Ken and Terry are nowhere to be found.
Min Min begins to freak out, while Incineroar tries to calm her down and take a look himself at what's going on. He pauses, turns around.
A Kunai comes behind and pierces the **** out of him, and then the iconic holy catchphrase is heard...
GET OVER HERE!

Terrified at what she witnessed Min Min runs for her life in the the forest. She's alone, isolated, feeling as if she's in a void and holding on to nothing but her own fear.
All of a sudden, she sees something in the distance. It's.. a gong?
Curious as to what she's encountered, she strikes it with her mighty Dragon Arm.
And then..
The one
and only
MK theme song comes on...
Flames surround Min Min as she finds herself cornered in fire and in song. Out of nowhere, one flame comes alive and strikes Min Min with a blow towards a tree with great knock back.
The flame turns into a skeleton. the skeleton into the body. the body into the ninja himself..

SCORPION GETS OVER HERE!

After a bit of gameplay, as the "Kano..Liu Kang" part of the song plays, the original 8 come out of nowhere in the forest after Scorpion, only for them to whip their *****, but in a shocking twist, the names "Mario...Donkey Kong" etc are heard instead.
After he's done with them all:
Scorpion is about to walk away. He goes "Huh. I can handle Smash." A figure thinks otherwise: "You must defeat my Shroyuken to stand a chance.. Scorpion." ITS ******* RYU
Cue a 90 second CGI 1v1 duel
Ryu ends up beating Scorpion.
But THEN (can't catch a break can we?) an Icicle nearly impales Ryu in the head as he narrowly dodges it.
Out of the blue comes a familiar silhouette saying "Are you a worthy kombatant, Street Boy?"

SUB-ZERO FREEZES THE KOMPETITION!

Cue gameplay.
SSBU X Mortal Kombat
I SAID DON'T GIVE ME HOPE!

With that said, I love it.

Shroob

Sup?
Does the original "leak" know for a fact that it was Sora for Smash, or was he merely assuming that's what it must have been and stating it as fact?

Because I strongly, STRONGLY doubt that Nintendo would acquire music for fighter pack 11 merely a month before reveal/release, and not already have it. As well as involve Disney Music Group in the secret. It makes FAR more sense to me for the leaker to have overheard "acquiring music for a digital event" and assumed it must have been for Sora. Especially considering, due to the presence of licensed music, there is a need to have acquired it during the formation of the direct.

As well, I see absolutely no reason why Sora shouldn't have been in this direct. It makes zero sense to announce the announcement here and cut your viewerbase down compared to just... revealing it right then and there. The last time they did something like that was for EVO 2018 and the August direct.
I think the leak's fake as a heads up

But I don't think we can say for certain who the last character will be or not at this point. The reason they didn't announce who the last character was wasn't necessarily due to them being a big or small character, it's because they want to do a final presentation ala Smash 4.

I get the mindset of "They didn't announce them in the Direct, prepare for disappointment!" that some have, but the fact is, they just wanna do a stand-alone Smash presentation.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think the leak's fake as a heads up

But I don't think we can say for certain who the last character will be or not at this point. The reason they didn't announce who the last character was wasn't necessarily due to them being a big or small character, it's because they want to do a final presentation ala Smash 4.

I get the mindset of "They didn't announce them in the Direct, prepare for disappointment!" that some have, but the fact is, they just wanna do a stand-alone Smash presentation.
Yea I think revealing the fighter in the direct, having Sakurai say some final thoughts, but then going straight to "3D KIRBY YAYAY" is way too much of a juxtaposition that it doesn't make sense.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That does raise a question: How come they don't also have songs added to the game, too? Is it really that expensive compared to using them in a trailer (and to say nothing about things that are made difficult to acquire due to copyright)?
I can guarantee you it's 100% due to licensing. There's a reason that the only costumes that came with music are indies. There's a lot less legal red tape and they can probably afford a single track to sell in a bundle at 75 cents and still make a profit. From what I can tell, there's really only one person associated with each of them, meanwhile with things like Fallout, Assassin's Creed or Tales, you've got actual companies behind them rather than a single individual.
It's weird.

Max really doesn't interact with the Smash community a whole lot aside from reaction videos and occasionally streaming Ultimate.

So it can be taken either way. He does have connections to the industry, but ehhhh
Based on Max's reaction to the direct, I doubt he knows anything. He expected the reveal at the VGAs. Max does meme about knowing DLC characters too, so it's still within his character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yea I think revealing the fighter in the direct, having Sakurai say some final thoughts, but then going straight to "3D KIRBY YAYAY" is way too much of a juxtaposition that it doesn't make sense.
I mean that's basically what happened at E3. Fighter reveal, Sakurai said some stuff, on to the next game.

Having the reveal during the Direct wouldn't preclude having the final presentation, and that would be the place we'd get the final words. The difference is now we get the reveal there as well.

But it easily could've been at the Direct. For whatever reason, it just wasn't. Reading too much into it isn't going to do anyone any good. We just have to wait until we know more of the picture. And by that time, it won't really matter, since the identity of the last fighter will be public.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I love Max and believe that he definitely has some insider knowledge but I seriously doubt that he knows who the last fighter is.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I love Max and believe that he definitely has some insider knowledge but I seriously doubt that he knows who the last fighter is.
I mean, Max had been a direct part of the industry before, having worked on trailers for Killer Instinct and, iirc, being the guy who said "yeah, this design for Fulgore is really ****ing cool, do that one"

So it's not crazy to assume he still has contacts from his time as part of the industry.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I mean that's basically what happened at E3. Fighter reveal, Sakurai said some stuff, on to the next game.

Having the reveal during the Direct wouldn't preclude having the final presentation, and that would be the place we'd get the final words. The difference is now we get the reveal there as well.

But it easily could've been at the Direct. For whatever reason, it just wasn't. Reading too much into it isn't going to do anyone any good. We just have to wait until we know more of the picture. And by that time, it won't really matter, since the identity of the last fighter will be public.
thank you. It makes no sense to cut down your viewerbase if it's an announcement you want this big crowd to see a lot, regardless of it being the last character.

Again I compare it to EVO 2018. They could have chosen to reveal a fighter there, and then also announce the direct, but they opted to just announce the direct. Why do that?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
thank you. It makes no sense to cut down your viewerbase if it's an announcement you want this big crowd to see a lot, regardless of it being the last character.
I mean, they also said to not read too much into it.

We dunno what'll happen.

The last character could be a whimper

Or it could be a big shot

We dunno. What we do know is they're making a big deal out of advertising this final presentation.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean, Max had been a direct part of the industry before, having worked on trailers for Killer Instinct and, iirc, being the guy who said "yeah, this design for Fulgore is really ****ing cool, do that one"

So it's not crazy to assume he still has contacts from his time as part of the industry.
He absolutely has contacts in the industry and he's definitely alluded to them in the past. I just don't think he's anywhere in a chain that would have even a drop of Nintendo information, let alone Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom