• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As I see it, there's four lines of thought on who the final character could be. (Well, three and a half but bear with me)

1. Nintendo-owned character- cheapest and simplest option and it makes for a balance of Nintendo and 3rd party characters
  2. Sega or Capcom characters- of all the studios already on board from base, they're the only ones to not get a character in this pass so far. Technically Konami and SNK belong here too but I feel they've used all their A-list material
  3. New Studio (Japanese): There still a lot of companies out there that could join on at the last minute like Koei Temco or Level 5
  4. New Studio (Other): There's been two western created characters on the DLC so far so it's not out of the realms of possibility that the final character could be a western one.
There's also a few additional conditions to have in mind

1. E3 has already come and gone so whoever's left may be lower on the hype levels than Kazuya (who as the villain protag of the world's biggest 3D fighting game, is still a big name) but Covid did delay things so perhaps he was meant to come sooner.
  2. Nintendo doesn't generally do "best last" kind of things so they wouldn't have deliberately keep this character back 'til last just to be hype.
  3. There's a big Pokemon push this year with Snap, Gne 4 remakes and the upcoming Legends Arceus so that's something to keep in mind...
  4. There's no such thing as too many swordsmen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Off the Hook also fulfill Figure Theory assuming Amiibo don’t count, as they have a Figma

just sayin’ :drshrug:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But yeah, I think the last character will be Nintendo too, to have an even ratio of third party to first party for this pass

Third parties: Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya
First parties: Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, Unknown Nintendo Character

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we focus on Nintendo characters specifically...

Theory 1: New blood picks (aka "promotional")

All of Nintendo's DLC characters have been characters that have debuted on the Switch (well, Byleth got an early appearance in FE Heroes but the point still stands) so the last character could follow this pattern and be a character who's newly introduced on the Switch. The obvious one is a Galar Pokemon but that also covers the Champions from Breath of the Wild, Mech Geek Zelda herself, a character representing Mario Odyssey, the hybrid Rabbids from Kingdom Battle (URGH! that hurt to say), and possibly a character representing Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.
Note:I'm limiting my picks to ones before Fire Emblem 3 Houses came out.

Theory 2: The PRRRRRRRROmition!

There's several characters in game in some form or other that could get an upgrade but the question is who's too far rooted to be reworked as an new character? There's ones that are just spirits like Bandanna Dee and Chibi-Robo but there's also ones that are assist trophies like Isaac and Purple Luigi.

Theory 3: Upcoming game character (aka promotional without the sarcasm)

What it says on the tin. It's happened before with Roy in melee, elements of Snake in Brawl, and (at least outside of Japan) Corrin in Smash 4. Metroid Prime 4, Metroid Dread, BotW 2, Gen 9 Pokemon, there's a lot to pick from.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I can't be alone in thinking that there's a 0% chance of first party promotion with how much they're hyping up this last fighter right? If it was first party promotion why not reveal it at a direct?

How many people would care if they hyped it up this much and it ended up being a pokemon?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
This 4chan thing is probably nothing, but it is at the very least interesting that they got the date of the presentation right all the way back in July.

I'm surprised more people are discussing the possibility of it being for a Mii costume though. Whenever they show a Mii Costume, they play music from the game it's from. If Sora were a mii costume, they'd still need to get the right to use music.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
I can't be alone in thinking that there's a 0% chance of first party promotion with how much they're hyping up this last fighter right? If it was first party promotion why not reveal it at a direct?

How many people would care if they hyped it up this much and it ended up being a pokemon?
I mean... I'd be hyped if a Ray 01 reveal led to a Custom Robo revival.

But I'm like 1 of the 4 fans left so....

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I think the perfect smash rep would be Metal Mario as an echo with a metal cavern stage. Metal Mario is so iconic at this point that he's even become a mainstay in Mario Kart, and it wouldn't take that much efort to make. Probably even less than other echoes. It would perfectly represent smash, while also not taking a full character slot that could go to introducing a cool new crossover, and it would bring a long time fan request stage that would likely be tournament legal as well.
Every single Echo has had exact weight. (As did Dr. Mario, the only one who could've been easily considered an Echo without issues, despite the two-time veteran status).

So it's unlikely he'd be labeled one if this is an actual rule(it's consistent enough that it's better to treat it as one). That, and a lot of his stats are different due to him being inherently stronger, which not even Ken or Dr. Mario has. They're both more similar to their counterparts stat-wise than Metal Mario is from regular Mario in the end.

Not saying they can't or won't do it, but the details we have imply he'd probably be another regular clone. I'm all for it if Weight doesn't matter though. Giga Bowser would also be a cool one for Bowser in the same way.

Now, one thing to note is that the Metal effect is no longer solid, but a hue(almost like a highlight) of the character's colors. This means he's actually different from the Metal Box effect that Mario would have, making it a viable option. I won't deny they're... pretty similar, though. Another issue is what the Metal Box would even do for Metal Mario. He'd likely have a Gold Mario costume/color anyway, so it wouldn't exactly make sense to apply it. Maybe give him something like armor pieces that's unique to Smash? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that one. Of course, if the Metal Box is removed for this alone, it wouldn't matter. XD

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

It's Nintendo.
Besides given how much Sakruai enjoys talking about the characters and how they work, chances are ti was more economical to have the reveal and the talk in the same place.

Staarih

Smash Master

How are they hyping it up? It's all just "this will be the final fighter", which leaves everything as open as ever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I think no matter what kind of reveal we get, first party, third-party, promo, fan favourite, megaton, total surprise - people will use the way they structured the presentation as a solo reveal apart from the Direct to retroactively explain it.

I've already seen people take this upcoming presentation to mean things on totally different ends of the spectrum, whether a low-key disappointment or a huge popular choice to close things out.

Because the truth is having this solo show really doesn't tip things one way over the other. It's just a Rorschach test for what people want to see.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
People keep going on about how much Nintendo are hyping this announcement up, but I can't see them doing any more promotion than they normally do. Even if they are hyping it up more than others, that's to be expected for the last fighter added to their giant gaming crossover, and isn't necessarily indicative of the kind of fighter they'll announce.

In fact, the decision to reveal the character in its own Smash presentation rather than a general Direct, E3 or The Game Awards signals to me that it's a smaller character that won't sell on the character choice alone.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So basically the anonymous poster who posted these two posts had cold feet about the date and made a new post to claim that it's in September, probably also hoping that nobody notice the October one.
You know what guys, now this is a blunder of a fake leak.
Okay, yeah, I think this seals the deal.
Anon hit a 1-in-365 jackpot and blew it, it seems.
:187:
Do we know if it's the same poster?

That aside, it is amusing though while there was no Sora, there was a Disney game in the Sept direct.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Fun thing I saw from a Smash 4chan thread. Apparently despite Banjo, Byleth, and Min Min Mii Costume wave seeming random, their Mii Waves actually do have themes, and Pyra/Mythra theme isn't just Capcom, but something else

Banjo is about Partners, Byleth is about Souls and Imposters, Min Min is about Business and Corperations, and Pyra/Mythra, in addition to Capcom, is about Worlds with Monsters

-Goemon has Partner in his game, Team Rocker is a Team, Proto Man and Zero are Partners to their version of Mega Man, and Sans comes from a Game and Genre based around partners, and partners with Papyrus I believe

- .EXE and X are other version of Megaman, which you can consider to be Imposter of the OG, or have the Soul of the OG. Assassins Creed is about reliving the life of Past Ancestors, through their Soul, Rabbids typically impersonate people, and Cuphead is a game about Collecting Souls

-I believe Ninjara owns a Dojo or something like that (maybe not), Squid Sisters I think either produce music for some Company or such, Heihachi owns a Corperation that is pretty much a World Power, and Vault Boy is typically seen in Ads, which come from Businesses or Corperations

-Monster Hunter is a World with Monsters, and Same with Ghost and Goblins

---------------------------------------

Also an Idea about Sora, whether he's a Character or Mii, is he may be the Bonus Piece of Content, and the reason he's a Bonus is because he's available for a Limited amount of Time, just like with World of Final Fantasy

Now personally I'm not sure Sakurai and the Dev Team would want to develop a character that will only be available for a Limited amount of Time. Alot of work goes into the Playable characters for it to be available for Limited time. However Mii Costumes seem like something they would do something like that for, especially if the Costume actually comes with Music for once, despite not being an indie

I don't buy that leak, especially after it was found there was another Similiar Post right before the day of the Direct. However Sora's Presence is not based on whether a Leak is real or not.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Actual speculation here: If CP11 were to be a shill for an upcoming game like Metroid Dread or SMTV, I highly believe Nintendo would've waited until after the game's release to reveal them. Remember that Fire Emblem Fates was out in Japan by the time Corrin was revealed for Smash.

More casual discussion: I've seen people genuinely convinced the last DLC fighter might be Melee Fox lol
Hey, if people can support assist trophies being upgraded despite it not happening in the same game before, I can support big birb as a shill pick.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Every single Echo has had exact weight. (As did Dr. Mario, the only one who could've been easily considered an Echo without issues, despite the two-time veteran status).

So it's unlikely he'd be labeled one if this is an actual rule(it's consistent enough that it's better to treat it as one). That, and a lot of his stats are different due to him being inherently stronger, which not even Ken or Dr. Mario has. They're both more similar to their counterparts stat-wise than Metal Mario is from regular Mario in the end.

Not saying they can't or won't do it, but the details we have imply he'd probably be another regular clone. I'm all for it if Weight doesn't matter though. Giga Bowser would also be a cool one for Bowser in the same way.

Now, one thing to note is that the Metal effect is no longer solid, but a hue(almost like a highlight) of the character's colors. This means he's actually different from the Metal Box effect that Mario would have, making it a viable option. I won't deny they're... pretty similar, though. Another issue is what the Metal Box would even do for Metal Mario. He'd likely have a Gold Mario costume/color anyway, so it wouldn't exactly make sense to apply it. Maybe give him something like armor pieces that's unique to Smash? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that one. Of course, if the Metal Box is removed for this alone, it wouldn't matter. XD
Metal Mario could work but he'd need several factors in his favor.

1. The N64 ploygonal design
    This is the most important part to me as it would easily distinguish him from Mario with a Metal Box. Heck they could have his default textures be different from the clean metal sheen of modern Metal characters. Biggest obstacle here is Nintendo's subborn insistence on a style guide but he could get around that as Odyssey did before it.
  2. A Luigi-fied moveset.
    They could save a lot of time by porting things over directly but they should take time to give him his own spin besides being a chunky boi. For example, giving him Mario's original down special or giving him a new side special charge that imitates the invincible star-like effect of the original power-up.
  3. A new recovery
    Mario's recovery sucks on a him as an average weight character so he'd need a different one to partially compensate for being so heavy.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm taking a break from schoolwork (bruh moment in itself) so I'll just ask this for fun

What do y'all think is a western company that's very likely to get a character in CP11?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Metal Mario could work but he'd need several factors in his favor.

1. The N64 ploygonal design
    This is the most important part to me as it would easily distinguish him from Mario with a Metal Box. Heck they could have his default textures be different from the clean metal sheen of modern Metal characters. Biggest obstacle here is Nintendo's subborn insistence on a style guide but he could get around that as Odyssey did before it.
  2. A Luigi-fied moveset.
    They could save a lot of time by porting things over directly but they should take time to give him his own spin besides being a chunky boi. For example, giving him Mario's original down special or giving him a new side special charge that imitates the invincible star-like effect of the original power-up.
  3. A new recovery
    Mario's recovery sucks on a him as an average weight character so he'd need a different one to partially compensate for being so heavy.
1. Wouldn't matter that much. The hues and the solid color are very different from each other as is. However, using the n64 model is also still a great idea in further showing a popular design as is. They've done stuff like this with Mr. Game & Watch being a 3D model flattened, so they can still do unique models that "aren't high quality" like others. I agree with the idea, but I don't think it's necessary to tell them apart.

2. Well, yeah. He already kind of is, but I'm guessing Dr. Mario would be the hard base instead due to playing more similarly to the original Mario movesets. Either way, I think he'd likely have that factor outside of an Echo situation. That, and the Cape doesn't fit that well. Metal Mario however does have a Wing Cap and could use stuff related to that, maybe. He's also reappeared in multiple Mario Kart games and an item from there could work. Or a reference to it(the spin and cape are both Cape stuff, after all, for the original Mario moveset. ...Well, the Melee moveset).

3. Considering I think the Wing Cap makes for a good costume set, it doesn't work that well as a Recovery. I mean, being similar to ones like Pit almost works otherwise. That said, there's tons of items etc. that could be taken into account. Maybe even going into a Cannon and being shot? With the concept that it has massive reach, but if he lands on a true solid platform, he could take minor damage(something that's a notable thing in SM64 due to his weight). Mostly as a fun little thing that makes it stand out from other major recovery options, and also showing that him being a super heavyweight isn't always "the best ever". Though a silly idea by me regardless, but it does make it stand out from the Wing Cap. Maybe if he gets the Metal Box, he can use the Jump button afterwards to float down slightly slower than his normal drop speed while doing that recovery, as a reference to the Wing Cap's unique "slow fall" capabilities. Or basically the idea is making the Caps somewhat of his overall mechanic. His dodges could turn him into Vanish Metal Mario too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm taking a break from schoolwork (bruh moment in itself) so I'll just ask this for fun

What do y'all think is a western company that's very likely to get a character in CP11?
Well "very" isn't the term I'd use but in terms of companies that have worked closely with Nintendo in the past there's Ubisoft who've still got Rayman left, Acitivision who they worked with on Skylanders Supercharged and Microsoft is still on board so there's a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight possibility they could get two character in this pack.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Eh, once you get past the culture, lurking some boards can be fun. Others can be very not-fun. /b/ and /pol/ are the obvious ****holes you'd want to stay away from, but there're certainly others.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ubisoft who've still got Rayman left,
Ezio wants a word with you.. lol
Prince of Persia would be neat too, could tie in with the Sands of Time remake (praying to the gods that it's good)

Acitivision who they worked with on Skylanders Supercharged and Microsoft is still on board so there's a sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight possibility they could get two character in this pack.
True indeed.
Skylanders is interesting, because like you said, that's evidence of their good relationship, especially considering Bowser and DK cannot be played on any platforms other than the Wii U and Switch (for Superchargers and Imaginators)
Agree with you on Microsoft too.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Do we know if it's the same poster?
Without a tripcode, which the original post seems to lack, there's no way to truly know for sure. But given the similarity coupled with the fact that the "leak" didn't get much of any attention - certainly not nearly enough to warrant such a blatant copycat - until after the Direct announced October 5th as our date, I think it's extremely safe to say that it is.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ezio wants a word with you.. lol
Prince of Persia would be neat too, could tie in with the Sands of Time remake (praying to the gods that it's good)

True indeed.
Skylanders is interesting, because like you said, that's evidence of their good relationship, especially considering Bowser and DK cannot be played on any platforms other than the Wii U and Switch (for Superchargers and Imaginators)
Agree with you on Microsoft too.
One other thing to consider is that Microsoft and ZeniMax were likely different companies when negotiations happened so there is the off chance of Doom Slayer but I'm not betting much on it.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Without a tripcode, which the original post seems to lack, there's no way to truly know for sure. But given the similarity coupled with the fact that the "leak" didn't get much of any attention - certainly not nearly enough to warrant a blatant copycat - until after the Direct announced October 5th as our date, I think it's extremely safe to say that it is.
> and a GRANBLUE character
Anon's one of us and they're a veteran.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
-I believe Ninjara owns a Dojo or something like that (maybe not)
If I'm not wrong Ninjara represents his school that somehow forms Ninjas (?). So it's kind of a business if it's a private school, lol.
- .EXE and X are other version of Megaman, which you can consider to be Imposter of the OG, or have the Soul of the OG.
Apparently X's body absorbed the soul of a Cyberelf called Mother Elf and .EXE is apparently Lan's brother whose consciousness was uploaded into .EXE

PapaGenos has already made a video on this new Sora “leak”.
Unfortunately it was debunked during the time it took him to make it, poor dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom