• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Looks like that's the last time I'll get to do my little trick of not coming into this thread all day on the day of the direct and then being able to read back after the direct to see what last-minute leaks came out without actually spoiling myself. Looks like it was Kirby and Bayonetta that got leaked a few hours in advance this time? Not as bad as usual I suppose.

Lots of good stuff in the direct though! Most of it's been discussed to death here, but I'm gonna give a special shoutout to including Genesis games on NSO. That's such a perfect expression of that old business maxim about not giving the people what they want but instead giving them what they didn't know they wanted. No one was asking for Genesis on NSO but it's dope that it's happening! An actual not on rails 3D Kirby could be a really good direction for the series, though it's hilarious that it comes directly after that one Scott the Woz episode bemoaning shifts to 3D lol. Really hope Triangle Strategy is good before I inevitably get sick of HD-2D. Opening on DLC was weird and that DLC not being Age of Calamity was even weirder. And finally, the Charlie Day memes have been way funnier than the Chris Pratt ones.

As for actual speculation discussion, Nintendo seems super serious about this being the final DLC fighter, really emphasizing how they're done with content. I really hope that doesn't mean they stop balance patches, online tournaments, and Spirit Board events suddenly, too. Especially since those spirit events are gonna be the only way for new universes to be represented in the game anymore. In the same vein as that, some of y'all are reeeeally happy about the speculation ending. Why not just exchange social medias and friend codes with your closest friends on Smashboards and then leaving the thread if it's causing so much stress? I hope that doesn't sound condescending because it really isn't. I have too often fallen into the trap of sunk cost in Internet communities that were just causing me headaches but still checking in every day because I felt like I "had" to. Because I was "expected" to or something. If something on the net is making you sad, it's healthy to leave it behind, even for a bit.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not on the roster yet.

There are a lot of N64 not on there.
Actually most of the first-party stuff does seem to be accounted for. The other main gaps seem to be DK64 (which has its extra complexity due to Rare, but probably will show up), the Mario Parties, and the more currently low profile stuff like Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding.

I mean it may come, but like Mushroomguy said, it didn't last time.

I just wanna know what the deal is; it's first-party, it was widely successful, from a technical standpoint I don't think it requires special accommodation, it's the only Smash game on the system - it should be one of the basics that always shows up in the 64 legacy service like SM64, OoT, SF64, etc. But yet it shows up far less readily. Is it licensing related?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Considering that nearly everyone in it has their game(s) on the...the, thingy? Probably not.
I'm really just shooting in the dark. My reasoning is less that they wouldn't get the ok, just that since they might have to go to all the parties, they don't bother making it a priority to get up right away.

But that's a complete guess.

My guess would be that they just don't want to introduce competition (because obviously Super Smash Bros. is gonna compete with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate :rolleyes:).
I could maybe see that with Mario Party given that's getting a new game imminently that actually uses content from the 64 games... but with a game that's already been on the market for three years... idk...

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
That's not how that works.

If Nahobino were to be put in Smash, they'd still have a voice actor, they have on in Japanese, they wouldn't just not include one.
It was mostly a joke playing off the fact that we didn’t get the English dub AGAIN when I thought for sure we would get it this time.

I honestly don’t know when they will reveal it now(at least I was right about the digital preorders being revealed in the direct).

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Actually most of the first-party stuff does seem to be accounted for. The other main gaps seem to be DK64 (which has its extra complexity due to Rare, but probably will show up), the Mario Parties, and the more currently low profile stuff like Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding.

I mean it may come, but like Mushroomguy said, it didn't last time.

I just wanna know what the deal is; it's first-party, it was widely successful, from a technical standpoint I don't think it requires special accommodation, it's the only Smash game on the system - it should be one of the basics that always shows up in the 64 legacy service like SM64, OoT, SF64, etc. But yet it shows up far less readily. Is it licensing related?
I'm waiting/hoping for Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Cruis'n USA, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Paper Mario

If we get non-Nintendo games Bomerman Hero (which Nintendo published), Bomberman 64, Harvest Moon 64, Rocket Robot on Wheels, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Space Station Silicon Valley, Ogre Battle 64, Snowboard Kids 1 & 2, Vigilante 8, Gauntlet Legends.

And of course Buck Bumble

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I feel like Bayonetta is just, the next generation's Banjo Kazooie.

A third party franchise, that Nintendo owns some part of (at one point), that many consider an "honorary Nintendo franchise."

Really, Bayo and Banjo should be buddies.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I feel like Bayonetta is just, the next generation's Banjo Kazooie.

A third party franchise, that Nintendo owns some part of (at one point), that many consider an "honorary Nintendo character."

Really, Bayo and Banjo should be buddies.
I feel this, but also at the time Banjo was straight up 1st party. So it feels a little different. When I fell in love with the series I had no reason to believe it wouldn't be around forever with all the other Nintendo owned series that were largely successful.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also I just realized that Banjo on NSO may in fact open the door for Diddy Kong Racing on NSO since I imagine complications with Banjo and Conker's rights were what prevented it from being on Virtual Console ever (or at least I can't find anything on it) and the reason behind their removal in the DS version.

Ivander

Smash Legend
What I'm actually curious about is what will happen with some of those games being on Switch Online. Like...Banjo being on the Switch Online list is big for Rare titles, but look at some of the stuff in regards to the Genesis stuff. Alot of those titles were already on Switch through different collections, like Contra Hard corps and Castlevania Bloodlines. Before there were thoughts on the collections being a reason for none of the games being on Switch Online, but with titles from those collections now being on Switch Online, what could it mean for other titles from those collections for NES and SNES Online?

Edit: Also Bomberman and Goemon N64 games when, Konami?

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
My thoughts:
The Direct was...alright. I'm looking forward to the new 3D Kirby game and Bayo 3 the most. I'm not interested in N64 and Genesis online. Miyamoto is a madman and that movie news with the casting was just...huh?

It's a shame the final DLC Smash newcomer wasn't revealed, but at last we only have to wait less than two weeks until it's all over. I have absolutely no idea who to expect.
Please don't be Cinderace.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also, in the vein of Rare games coming to NSO, we now have to live with the possibility, however remote, of Conker's Bad Fur Day ending up on N64 Online, which would be kinda crazy in my eyes lmao

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
The positive thing about a premium NSO offering N64 and Sega Genesis games is that it may encourage Nintendo to add more third party titles.

Like Rare games; Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Perfect Dark, Conker, Jet Gemini Force, Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corps,
Konami/Hudson games: Goemon, Castlevania, Hybrid Heaven, Bomberman 64/Hero
Others: Ridge Racer 64, Mischief Makers, Snowboard Kids, Rayman 2, SimCity 64, Resident Evil 2, etc.

Between Nintendo, Pokemon, Rare and other third parties, they can possible add around 50 N64 games,

As for Genesis, my expectation is that at least the titles included in their mini console and other compilations they made, thats around 50-60 titles.

I hoped is that if they added Gameboy, they do it to the normal subcription. Wouldn't mind GBA games for the premium service, those between those 2 plattforms, there are more than 100 games they can add.

If we get Genesis, my expectation is that we will get PC-Engine/Turbograx-16 in the next few years so we can have the 16-bit holy trinity.

And I think thats all, 3 consoles for the normal service (NES, SNES and GB/GBC) and 4 for the premium service (N64, Genesis, GBA, Turbograx-16). I would say that would love to see Gamecube/Wii games but maybe I will see that those to be sold alone and had a better treatment.... or not.

But I think that Nintendo is slowly building a Gamepass like competence with this premium service.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting/hoping for Banjo Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Cruis'n USA, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Paper Mario

If we get non-Nintendo games Bomerman Hero (which Nintendo published), Bomberman 64, Harvest Moon 64, Rocket Robot on Wheels, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Space Station Silicon Valley, Ogre Battle 64, Snowboard Kids 1 & 2, Vigilante 8, Gauntlet Legends.

And of course Buck Bumble

Hell yeah fellow bomberman and goemon fan. Have you played Goemon's Great Adventure and Bomberman Second Attack? I noticed you didn't include them!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
None of you asking for KI Gold? You hate to see it, btw this also extends to SNES KI1 possibly. Any of the Rare stuff that could come to NSO would be welcomed I guess, but that's what I'm waiting for.

Other than that, if Capcom can drop it's TWO N64 games they fully own, RE2 and Mega Man 64(read Legends) that'd be neat too. While weaker ports, they are still solid games overall.

And 2nded on Buck Bumble.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thank god I can catch the final thing live, maybe with irls too. Honestly, one thing I kinda want to see happen is that the Mii Costumes get shown off first. Maybe I'm too much of an anarchy enthusiast.

Also y'all are happy now about 64 NSO but wait till it's been a few months with no new titles on it only for shovelware like the other NSO services

Baba

Smash Journeyman
There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is going around. I don't buy it.

But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable then me can disprove it.
First I'm hearing of any of this. Don't get my hopes up for an FPS character.....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, for NSO, still waiting for the Final Fight games. Cause 2 and 3 ain't on the Beat 'Em Up collection. And I guess KI isn't an impossibility.

I do find it funny that Castlevaina and Contra get their Genesis games but NOT their NES or SNES titles.

I do have to wonder what the last character will have in terms of overall content. Like stages and spirit fights and the like.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I can't even figure out which site this is. The closest I found was Nintendo's site, but it doesn't have Challenger Pack 11 listed (though this doesn't account for any sneakier means of finding it).

If it is supposed to be Nintendo's website though I'm calling fake because the other Challenger Pack images have the character clearly displayed on it, not a giant "11".

EDIT: Also if you were going for video proof then why wouldn't you post the video proof that actually shows or even names the character. That would have been infinitely more believable than just the video of what they had + saying "the father of FPS" (which is ambiguous 'cuz you could be referring to Doom, Halo, or less likely, Wolfenstein). Or perhaps not since it's fake and making official looking renders is hard.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aside from Air-Dashing, which is something I want to see one day. What dank mechanics would you want in a new character?

Shroob

Sup?
So

The weird thing about this Wayback Machine stuff is that the page in question was only ever archived once, that being today.

I'm not entirely sure what that means exactly. Despite existing for over a year at this point, the only record that TWB machine has is conveniently today of all days.

7NATOR

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

This was similar if not the same thing Theguy123 Theguy123 mentioned about hours before the Direct

(1) Official - DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II | Page 2397 | Smashboards

https://twitter.com/bottlesthemole/status/1441102338324795394?s=21

So the Plot thickens, as there is now 2 people corroborating this edit on Nintendo's Page leaking the Copyright or something

Edit: So I see what it's talking about now, interesting. I guess there was more to the story of that Copyright leak picture, though yeah it was weird that this was the only time the picture was archived, perhaps to try and catch Nintendo in Editing?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This was similar if not the same thing Theguy123 Theguy123 mentioned about hours before the Direct

So the Plot thickens, as there is now 2 people corroborating this edit on Nintendo's Page leaking the Copyright or something
Thing is, as mentioned above

Despite the site existing for almost 2 years now, the Wayback Machine only archives it the day of a supposed leak?

That's kinda strange ngl.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Edit: So I see what it's talking about now, interesting. I guess there was more to the story of that Copyright leak picture, though yeah it was weird that this was the only time the picture was archived, perhaps to try and catch Nintendo in Editing?
Until I see it from multiple people here I’m not believing it. **** like this is way too easy for people to fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom