• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Professore E. Gadd 'bout to be like "you're doing it wrong Luigi. Let me show you how one truely grabs with the Poltergust G-00!"
accidentally releases some ghosts which causes Mario’s ptsd to be triggered and fight E gadd. Come on Nintendo, the perfect trailer is right there in front of us.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
****ty games don't get referenced in Smash.
glances at Ice Climbers and ROB
1631381431960.png

Has this been brought up yet?
No MVC2 likely because of Emulation difficulties. Its a good sign for Capcom and Disneys relationship though. Now if only they’d port these to console…
How the hell do you play that? Wouldn't it be upside down for P2?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
How the hell do you play that? Wouldn't it be upside down for P2?
The screen in the center is cut in half so the other player can see. Meaning the games are likely super crunched depending on the cabinets size. Can’t say I’m a big fan of the design, not that it matters as I don’t have any more kidneys left to sell for it.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
On paper, it's the perfect series to support right? PSO2 is so big in Japan it's one of the only series Nintendo has ever let have cross-platform cosmetics. You can cosplay as Link, complete with Master Sword, even on PlayStation. It's just hugely successful, millions of players, has been going since 1987, had released PS1 and 2 before America even saw FF1 or DQ1, and Sakurai's first semi-official interaction with the gaming industry was by submitting ideas for II. That should be HUGE, but...
3. Smash speculation ain't that an inviting community, if I'm completely honest. Thems the breaks. In spite of Phantasy Star and Smash being my absolute most played series by a huge margin and any of my PS fan friends also playing Smash and viceversa... none of us come to places like this. Polls? Forget about 'em. This is my fifth post here and some jerk already played down the idea I liked a thing and would like to see it in Smash as not important in spite of that being the entire reason Smash speculation is a thing. Screw that noise. If it ain't in the Smash Bubble already, it takes a huge amount of effort and, let's be honest, luck to get it in there. Average Smash speculators only even care about PS now because Matoi was in a fake leak and only a few good eggs are even bothering to learn anything about her or that there's at least two other important characters that are still verifiably beloved by fans after 3 decades.​
Thanks for letting me know.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  • PAC-Man only uses arcade stuff.
  • Mega Man mostly just has stuff from the classic series.
  • Street Fighter only has a few Spirits, and a single move that isn't from Street Fighter II: Turbo
Pac-Man's entire design is based on his later iterations, and specificaly NOT his arcade stuff. I'd call that a pretty big deal.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
PSO2 is so big in Japan it's one of the only series Nintendo has ever let have cross-platform cosmetics. You can cosplay as Link, complete with Master Sword, even on PlayStation. It's just hugely successful, millions of players, has been going since 1987, had released PS1 and 2 before America even saw FF1 or DQ1, and Sakurai's first semi-official interaction with the gaming industry was by submitting ideas for II.
Woah
Way to go, Phantasy Star!
Comment on the Link costume though, it was a Japan exclusive which is a bummer,
but hey, it's one step towards Nintendo being a tiny bit less restrictive on their IPs

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On paper, it's the perfect series to support right? PSO2 is so big in Japan it's one of the only series Nintendo has ever let have cross-platform cosmetics. You can cosplay as Link, complete with Master Sword, even on PlayStation. It's just hugely successful, millions of players, has been going since 1987, had released PS1 and 2 before America even saw FF1 or DQ1, and Sakurai's first semi-official interaction with the gaming industry was by submitting ideas for II. That should be HUGE, but...

1. As some other folks have mentioned, even if the series was popular before PSO2, a big part is probably that the game was JP-locked for so long even if there was a pretty big international community that played anyway. Like, if you played on Ship 2 at all it was safe to assume anyone there spoke English. So even if there was a large hardcore community that has been playing since 2012 just fine, the average western PSO fan has still been left out in the cold. Which leads me to...​

2. A lot of SEGA fans have been kinda bummed about how SEGA's treated them for like, the last decade or so? Longer? Simply put, if you weren't Sonic, you were baaaarely hanging in there. A lot of folks might have short-term memory for stuff like this, but y'know how everyone treats Yakuza like the greatest SEGA series ever that's super beloved now? In 2015 it was an outright MIRACLE that Yakuza 5 got localized. Like, dancing in the streets/collective sigh of relief type reactions from the then super niche Yakuza fan-crowds. They didn't even care it was digital only and "couldn't support" a physical release. Let's not even get into how SEGA treated Shining Force fans... It's a RECENT phenomenon that a lot of SEGA series are being treated well at all by SEGA themselves. Some fans, naturally, still feel pretty burned.​

3. Smash speculation ain't that an inviting community, if I'm completely honest. Thems the breaks. In spite of Phantasy Star and Smash being my absolute most played series by a huge margin and any of my PS fan friends also playing Smash and viceversa... none of us come to places like this. Polls? Forget about 'em. This is my fifth post here and some jerk already played down the idea I liked a thing and would like to see it in Smash as not important in spite of that being the entire reason Smash speculation is a thing. Screw that noise. If it ain't in the Smash Bubble already, it takes a huge amount of effort and, let's be honest, luck to get it in there. Average Smash speculators only even care about PS now because Matoi was in a fake leak and only a few good eggs are even bothering to learn anything about her or that there's at least two other important characters that are still verifiably beloved by fans after 3 decades.​
Wait... is the internet NOT an openin minded place to learn about new things?

(Of course it isn't).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Didn’t they stop using the yellow blob at some point while still in the arcade/NES days? Pac-Land has the same/a similar design.
Honestly, I don't know... but 'arcade Pac-man' clearly means a very specific, pizza style, thing.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Wait... is the internet NOT an openin minded place to learn about new things?

(Of course it isn't).
You can’t expect everyone to have knowledge about every single video game franchise in existence. But that doesn’t excuse such takes as saying Ice Climber is more beloved than SNK games (which yes was a thing said in this forum by someone who everyone else mocked).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You can’t expect everyone to have knowledge about every single video game franchise in existence. But that doesn’t excuse such takes as saying Ice Climber is more beloved than SNK games (which yes was a thing said in this forum by someone who everyone else mocked).
Too bad. Sometimes, them's the breaks.
I'd argue it can even be a good thing, in some ways.
Part of the only reason these character reveals are 'so out of left field,' is because the actual speculation seen is pretty.... slow minded.
"Oh my god, no one expected _____ to get in." Well, actually- many people did; the general consensus just used poor logic, ruling out characters for arbitrary reasons, finding patterns that don't exist, and ignoring otherwise psychological reasoning; all this in the name of making sense of the roster in an individual's ability to reason the roster to themselves.

Speculation seen is actually very acute- transient, reactive, impulsive, and short-sighted.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Next question why are there not bigger SSBU fan-bases for the three below characters?

Ahri ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Master Chief ( Halo ) via 343 Industries & Microsoft

Phantasy Star Online..___Rep via Sega

I see why thanks.
My boy Chief

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
  • PAC-Man only uses arcade stuff.
  • Mega Man mostly just has stuff from the classic series.
  • Street Fighter only has a few Spirits, and a single move that isn't from Street Fighter II: Turbo
PAC-Man: (has his design based off of PAC-Man World and Mario Kart Arcade GP)
Street Fighter's spirit roster: (has Street Fighter Alpha Chun-Li, Dan Hibiki, Sakura Kasugano, Gen (in his SF Alpha appearance), Karin Kanzuki, Cody, Yun & Yang, Charlie Nash, Ibuki, and Juri)
Mega Man's spirit roster: (has at least ONE CHARACTER FROM EVERY SERIES)
"Only classics" theory is looking like purple theory right now.
Don't you think it's quite a coincidence.jpg

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd argue it can even be a good thing, in some ways.
Part of the only reason these character reveals are 'so out of left field,' is because the actual speculation seen is pretty.... slow minded.
"Oh my god, no one expected _____ to get in." Well, actually- many people did; the general consensus just used poor logic, ruling out characters for arbitrary reasons, finding patterns that don't exist, and ignoring otherwise psychological reasoning; all this in the name of making sense of the roster in an individual's ability to reason the roster to themselves.

Speculation seen is actually very acute- transient, reactive, impulsive, and short-sighted.
I don’t think it’s fair to expect a community as a whole to keep up in-depth discussion about literally hundreds of characters, so the constant handwringing about speculation “getting it wrong” for characters like Steve and Aegis feels like a bad-faith take. Obviously fans of a character can pay closer attention to what’s happening and move quicker than a community consensus.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't understand why many characters don't get more support, given the cultural significance of the games. Some immediate characters that come to mind are Frogger and Lara Croft. These guys are two of the most well-known gaming characters of all time, with huge impacts on both gaming and media. Yet they are more often than not left off of lists even talking about Konami and Square Enix.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don’t think it’s fair to expect a community as a whole to keep up in-depth discussion about literally hundreds of characters, so the constant handwringing about speculation “getting it wrong” for characters like Steve and Aegis feels like a bad-faith take. Obviously fans of a character can pay closer attention to what’s happening and move quicker than a community consensus.
That isn't my point- I don't expect the Smash community to know everything.
I don't expect anything much, really.
I am, however, stating, that the community is very niche, and closed minded. As a whole, we respond to minor details or updates with huge swings (over reactive), find arbitrary reasons- time after time- to turn the other way from a viable character, and misplace meaning and context of information- either seeking it where nothing is to be found, or ignoring it when it cross examines what we want or already believe.

There is a clear dissonance in the speculation from what actually happens, which is why every character is, "shocking." That was actually the point I was making- this 'shock,' is in some ways good- it keeps up hype, and allows for surprise... whereas, otherwise, when examining all reason, the shock might have been much more minor.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I don't understand why many characters don't get more support, given the cultural significance of the games. Some immediate characters that come to mind are Frogger and Lara Croft. These guys are two of the most well-known gaming characters of all time, with huge impacts on both gaming and media. Yet they are more often than not left off of lists even talking about Konami and Square Enix.
Considering how busy Konami is with Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links and all, I'm not a tad bit surprised.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I can't speak on Frogger, but, yeah, why isn't Lara Croft taken seriously as a potential candidate?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Considering how busy Konami is with Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links and all, I'm not a tad bit surprised.
I'm not sure how that is relevant.
The most point-blank culturally known character that Konami owns is Frogger. Sure, it is an opinion (at this point, since I'm not willing to look up the stats that back this up). Of all characters Konami has, Frogger is the closest/only household name- more easily recognized out of the gaming community than even Simon Belmont.

Yet, whether or not Konami is focusing on Yugioh, Konami characters do get brought up. When they do, Frogger is usually not mentioned.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
PAC-Man: (has his design based off of PAC-Man World and Mario Kart Arcade GP)
Street Fighter's spirit roster: (has Street Fighter Alpha Chun-Li, Dan Hibiki, Sakura Kasugano, Gen (in his SF Alpha appearance), Karin Kanzuki, Cody, Yun & Yang, Charlie Nash, Ibuki, and Juri)
Mega Man's spirit roster: (has at least ONE CHARACTER FROM EVERY SERIES)
"Only classics" theory is looking like purple theory right now.
  1. Which in turn is based off of his PAC-Land design, which I'm pretty sure is based off of his design found on PAC-Man arcade cabinets.
  2. Spirits are the only exception for Street Fighter.
  3. Spirits are the main exception for Mega Man.
They're all heavily skewed to their classic games.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Lara Croft had a sizeable fanbase considering it was put in ”competition“ with other Square Enix characters, a lot of which are beloved characters in their own right. Support deflated after fellow Square Enixian Sepiroth made the cut which only time will tell is a valid assumption to make.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I'm not sure how that is relevant.
What I mean is that Konami isn't really all too involved with the Smash Ultimate DLC. Yes, we've got PAC-Man and the Belmonts for the base game and Kazuya as well the Mii costumes based off of other Konami IPs (only exception is Crash which, yes, Wrath of Cortex (the "original" Crash 4 - and I say original in quotation marks because, like Sonic, Crash has two canon timelines, one with Wrath of Cortex and the other with the remastered trilogy & It's About Time) is a thing) for the DLC, but that's about it.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I can't speak on Frogger, but, yeah, why isn't Lara Croft taken seriously as a potential candidate?
In terms of chances or in terms of support? The former makes sense because of Sephiroth and patterns and all that stuff? The latter I have no idea. Some characters just don’t get that much support, isn’t that right Toad?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Good time to put my Lara Croft moveset in:
LARA CROFT

STYLE: Action Survival

OVERVIEW:
Lara is always going to be able to keep going, this is expressed in the fact that she can keep moving while using any one of her special attacks. She does not get stuck. In stark contrast to other characters, and to emphasize that Lara is a human thrown into other worldly adventures- her Smash attacks, not her specials, will use animations of the items in her more magical explorations- though they will not be as versatile as her specials.

Standard Special: Dual Pistols. Lara holds B and rapidly fires her pistols. Once she hits a target, it locks on. When locked onto a target, she cannot Shield or Dodge without releasing B. However, if she does use the Shield button, this gives her the ability to lock onto a second target if they are near the first target, and each of the two targets gets hit at half speed (as they each only have one pistol locked on). Lara has full mobility while shooting.

Side Special: Bow and Arrow. Lara can press the combination multiple times to switch arrow types, indicated by a meter on the bottom. The options are
  • Standard Arrow (slightly faster than others)
  • Fire Arrow (slightly more damage)
  • Poison Arrow (Damage that lingers)
  • Explosive Arrow (Slightly More Radius of Damage
  • Piercing Arrow (can go through opponent and hit multiple)

Up Special: Skilled Climber. Lara throws out a grappling hook. It is longer than the average tether grab, and Is able to be aimed. If it lands, Lara climbs up the rope, and then can continue to climb up the stage with her pickaxe, by another half of the rope’s length- regardless of the angle. The hook will also cause average damage if it lands on an opponent, and will push them out of the way to securely attach to a ledge if Lara is in the air.

Down Special: Endure. Lara is known to survive, and this move helps her in multiple ways. For several frames once pressed, Lara will enter an invincible mode. This will mean she can survive a couple of hits without taking damage or knockback, break a counter used on her, move through rapid fire attacks. It is also used passively to help her survive for slighter longer when swimming, and passively keeps her from taking damage or effect from stage hazards. This is move does allow her to keep moving and fighting.

I have to imagine it is because people just don't see her as interesting, because they, themselves are limited in seeing what is at the core of a character's game, beyond just having flat out in-game special moves. Even before Sephiroth, even before Hero, Lara being absent from speculation was still true- so I don't think either character is really needed to mention in regards to lack of Lara content. When she is mentioned, it is often a minor comment, followed with, "but who knows how that would work," as if a character needs to be from an RPG game to have a viable moveset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom