• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Master Chief fights for his friends
Unrelated, but I was rewatching Highlander: The Series today and Duncan literally said "I fight for my friends." at one point. :p

If you genuinely get upset at a character getting into a childrens' party game, you need to reevaluate your priorities.
I'll do no such thing, and Byleth can burn in hell.

I’ve asked this months ago but it seems topical now so I’ll ask again. If the last character ends up being a character you aren’t personally familiar with but you think has a cool design or fun play style, how will you react?
I care about characters more than I care about gameplay.

If they're a "Literal who?!" to me, I'll be disappointed, no matter how they play.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I’ve asked this months ago but it seems topical now so I’ll ask again. If the last character ends up being a character you aren’t personally familiar with but you think has a cool design or fun play style, how will you react? While I prefer my favorites, I think I would be happy with anyone as long as they look fun to play.

I don’t think we’ve gotten any characters since Melee that I had no idea who they were before they got in (Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Roy, and Ice Climbers) so that might be fun for a change.
Personally speaking, I think popular characters are popular for a reason, because they tend to be cool or appeal to a very broad audience.

If the character is obscure, it depends on many things for me to like them:
-Their moveset
-Their merits
-The content (music and such)
-Their design
-How much they bring to the table in general tbh

Terry is the better example of this (hitting jab into Buster Wolf is the hypest thing ever). Byleth? Not really, I feel like he wasn't that good of a choice in retrospective and his moveset ain't as consistently fun as Terry's. Music is fine, I'll give him that (even if they are mostly just remixes from the same song). Design is ok-ish bar maybe the female version.

I think in the end it depends on who it is.
Someone like Asura from Asura's Wrath? We take those

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ve asked this months ago but it seems topical now so I’ll ask again. If the last character ends up being a character you aren’t personally familiar with but you think has a cool design or fun play style, how will you react? While I prefer my favorites, I think I would be happy with anyone as long as they look fun to play.

I don’t think we’ve gotten any characters since Melee that I had no idea who they were before they got in (Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Roy, and Ice Climbers) so that might be fun for a change.
This will probably be a bit of a controversial answer but design and moveset don't really move the needle for me. I assume that any character in Smash could have a fun moveset so that's not really a factor for whether a character was a good choice.

Personally my priority is whether the character has merit so if I don't think that's the case on reveal it probably won't change upon release.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Can you define 'personally familiar'? I'm not sure what would or wouldn't count as that

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Byleth? Not really, I feel like he wasn't that good of a choice in retrospective and his moveset ain't as consistently fun as Terry's.
I personally think it would be pretty difficult to argue that Byleth was a bad choice for a Fire Emblem character since Fire Emblem: Three Houses seems to have put the series on the map as a more mainstream series, and also reportedly unified the fandom after Fire Emblem: Awakening had split it. He just came at a bad time for people who weren't Fire Emblem fans to like him. In a game with less Fire Emblem characters or perhaps even in the alternate universe where Corrin wasn't a pick he would probably have been much better received since the Fire Emblem hatred wouldn't have been a thing (or at least, not as strong).

Can you define 'personally familiar'? I'm not sure what would or wouldn't count as that
I assumed it just meant any character that you know enough to have some sort of attachment to.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To hopefully steer the conversation away from "Byleth bad", I will say that I don't envy the guy who has to pick Fire Emblem's part of the roster for the rest of the series. Their part will likely downsize with the rest of the roster (so maybe about 5 characters per game), and the number of important characters to have will only grow. Eventually each new character they add will be like "a soul for a soul".

Pokémon's gonna have that problem too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pokémon's gonna have that problem too.
No sane person is going to begrudge Pokemon it's slots. It's the most popular gaming IP in the world.

Most of the salt for FE characters comes, not just from it's proliferation, but it's proliferation in relation to it's moderate popularity.
And the remaining salt comes from the relative sameness of it's roster choices.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No sane person is going to begrudge Pokemon it's slots. It's the most popular gaming IP in the world.

Most of the salt for FE characters comes, not just from it's proliferation, but it's proliferation in relation to it's moderate popularity.
And the remaining salt comes from the relative sameness of it's roster choices.
I was more referring to the fact that Pokémon is going to have (and kind of already does) way more characters that really should be in the game but can't because it would require adding too many.

Fire Emblem may not be Pokémon, but I think people would start getting a little preterbed if they started getting into the 15-20+ range, thus Pokémon's representation becoming a wonky revolving door of both newcomers and veterans. Granted, it'll be a problem for all series that consistently get new characters somewhere down the line, but the ones that bring in a new cast with each entry are gonna have it a bit rough since the list of their most important characters will have grown way to long to realistically implement.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Unrelated, but I was rewatching Highlander: The Series today and Duncan literally said "I fight for my friends." at one point. :p

I'll do no such thing, and Byleth can burn in hell.

I care about characters more than I care about gameplay.

If they're a "Literal who?!" to me, I'll be disappointed, no matter how they play.
I stand by this decision. Smash isn't just a game to me, and if that isn't how you feel- than it isn't how you feel. It is more than a work of art to which I have very strong memories of pleasure and obstacles overcome.

To DarthEnder- how do you feel about a major character (Sora, Lara Croft, Doom Slayer, etc...) to which you may have no personal affinity?
I personally think it would be pretty difficult to argue that Byleth was a bad choice for a Fire Emblem character
My mind is blown by what at first appears to be a paradox, and then continues to be, truly, impossible.
Byleth's moveset is consistently more fun than Banjo but I don't think too many people in this thread would consider the latter a bad choice.
Am I in the minority who prefer Banjo and Kazooie's moveset to Byleth's? The most unique thing, to me, is the ability to order the jumps in any sequence.
I was more referring to the fact that Pokémon is going to have (and kind of already does) way more characters that really should be in the game but can't because it would require adding too many.

Fire Emblem may not be Pokémon, but I think people would start getting a little preterbed if they started getting into the 15-20+ range, thus Pokémon's representation becoming a wonky revolving door of both newcomers and veterans. Granted, it'll be a problem for all series that consistently get new characters somewhere down the line, but the ones that bring in a new cast with each entry are gonna have it a bit rough since the list of their most important characters will have grown way to long to realistically implement.
The thing for me with Fire Emblem, has little to do with not liking the game. I'm not a fan of a lot of the games that are in Smash.
But, with Pokemon, while I am a fan, it just seems to be better for the game. People are willing to drop serious money in the name of Pokemon. It is psychologically and sociologically a matter of study under the heading of phenomenon. Just as I'm not a fan of Minecraft, I appreciate Steve being in the game because it makes something I do love, Smash, all the more prolific and successful. I just cannot say Fire Emblem does any of this, on even a significantly smaller scale.

I know it isn't a question that can be answered, but...
I wonder how many people bought Smash for a specific Pokemon
and consequently, how many people Bought Smash, or even a DLC pass, for a Fire Emblem.

Fun Fact to remember! Only 1 DLC ever has been a Pokemon. So far, 3 have been FE. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I never said they're the same series, I said they're part of the broader megami tensei franchise, which Sakurai has also mentioned. Like Mario and Donkey Kong, but not really.
If Mario and Donkey are part of the same broader franchise and Banjo is a Donkey Kong spinoff, does this mean Banjo is another Mario rep? :4pacman:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Am I in the minority who prefer Banjo and Kazooie's moveset to Byleth's? The most unique thing, to me, is the ability to order the jumps in any sequence.
No way! Banjo & Kazooie are the best yo, everyone loves them! They beat up Byleth and don't give a damn!

They'll give him/her the Breegul blaster, slam him/her into the ground and then knock him/her away with the Golden Wing. That'll show him/her.

Byleth? More like Cryleth because that's what their fans do when they play as them! We Banjoke about it all the time!:4pacman:

E6fb5WWVUAIzdDa.jpg

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm kinda mixed in terms of opinion.

I think all the references and stuff behind Banjo's moveset is really amazing compared to Byleth's moveset.

But Byleth is way more fun for me to play and I've honestly never played a Banjo game, so I don't really feel attached to the duo the same way I do with Byleth.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think all the references and stuff behind Banjo's moveset is really amazing compared to Byleth's moveset.
I second this. Not only do I like their playstyle more, the amount of references is the dealbreaker (or I guess dealmaker?) for me. Nearly every move of the bear and bird is based on something you can actually do in their games - the only exceptions being FAir, UAir and DSmash. And even then you could argue that the latter two are loosely based around Wing Whack, so that only leaves FAir.

In contrast, Byleth (and hell, Corrin too) feels like they just slapped a visual gimmick on them for the sake of giving them a gimmick - especially if it's not what the character is primarily known for. Which ironically makes it closer to something like Sakurai's mentality of "turn based = counter" for the rest of the FE cast.

I think it's also fair to bring Sephiroth into this conversation. He's a relatively simple character, all things considered, but a lot of his signature abilities are there and his whole playstyle just screams "boss character". Which is exactly what he is and what he's known the best for.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

The same way I reacted to Kazuya, Aegis, Joker and Terry.

Assuming “personally familiar“ means “played their game or liked them beforehand“ and not that gif of kazoo kid going “wait a minute…who are you?”

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I originally meant someone you had no idea they existed before their reveal (like the Ice Climbers for most people in Melee) but you could take it to mean just a character whose game you haven’t played if you’d rather.

Just as a random example, what if we got this guy? I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about him or his game so I don’t know how many people are even aware he exists.

1626526189403.jpeg

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
NEO: The World Ends With You has been sold early, there's leaks.
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura you may want to get into the bunker.
Good thing I preordered the game from SE yesterday and don’t have Twitter on my phone right now…

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Good thing I preordered the game from SE yesterday and don’t have Twitter on my phone right now…
Do you know if the controls are going to be addressed in this game? I’ve always been curious about the series but I heard the controls were not good for the Switch port of the original so I never picked it up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do you know if the controls are going to be addressed in this game? I’ve always been curious about the series but I heard the controls were not good for the Switch port of the original so I never picked it up.
The controls are different and a lot better. It’s also coming to PS4, after all. I THINK also PC but I can’t confirm that

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I originally meant someone you had no idea they existed before their reveal (like the Ice Climbers for most people in Melee) but you could take it to mean just a character whose game you haven’t played if you’d rather.

Just as a random example, what if we got this guy? I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about him or his game so I don’t know how many people are even aware he exists.

View attachment 323111
Oh hello? Who is this cutie here?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

View attachment 323111
In that case I'd say Kazuya does that as I wouldn't call myself a fan.

Isn't that the dude from Darksiders? Always mix up the titles but I hear the games are good Zelda-likes

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh hello? Who is this cutie here?
In that case I'd say Kazuya does that as I wouldn't call myself a fan.

Isn't that the dude from Darksiders? Always mix up the titles but I hear the games are good Zelda-likes
Yeah, that’s Death from Darksiders 2. I’m a big fan of the character designs in those games and I think they’re a lot of fun too. They do play a lot like classic Zelda games but I’d say they have a stronger emphasis on combat even though there are still plenty of puzzles and exploration.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The controls are different and a lot better. It’s also coming to PS4, after all. I THINK also PC but I can’t confirm that
Yeah, it's coming to PC, specifically Epic Games Store, later this summer. No exact date yet.

Xbox spitting facts.

Not the first time I talk about this but yeah, lately for the most part it has been a ****show. You can't go and read the answers to any official Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox tweets without losing braincells.

Like, I guess I can comprehend that for some people it was kinda fun to basically ****post anytime a console manufacturer posted something, but if that was fun, it only was it for a brief time because now everyone does it. Between Twitter accounts that exclusively exist to make baits, and people "killing" each other in the name of the console wars, it's almost impossible to find interesting tweets in the comments.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm pretty much free at the moment and don't care who gets in next. Pyra/Mythra were one of my most wanted, so whoever it is I have no complaints.

There's characters who I think would be cool to make it, but I'm not really fussed at anyone in particular.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'm pretty much free at the moment and don't care who gets in next. Pyra/Mythra were one of my most wanted, so whoever it is I have no complaints.

There's characters who I think would be cool to make it, but I'm not really fussed at anyone in particular.
That's mostly how I am too like... even characters I have no attachment to like ohhhh Fortnite or whatever, still wouldn't really make me fussed I'd just be like "Oh yeah, that's neat."

HOWEVER

If Classic Sonic were to show up.... I'd be quite miffed. He just won't leave! He was the gimmick of Sonic Generations, was kinda neat IN THAT CONTEXT, and then he JUST DIDN'T LEAVE!

Like... Classic Sonic is like that friend who like.... you hadn't spoken to him in a while, you were having a big BIG anniversary party and figured it would be rude to NOT invite him, so you do. He shows up, he lives up the party, has a good time. Eventually the party ends and everyone goes home EXCEPT HIM. He wants to hang out with you tomorrow. You figure he came out all this way from home so you go "Ok we can do that while you're in town" and you do and yeah you have an OK time... but then he wants to do it again next week... and the next.. you try to tell him that "Hey, I'd kinda like to go check in on some of my other friends" and he's the guy that just honestly goes "Oh sure, mind if I come along?" and you have to find a nice way of saying "Ehhhhh I thought it could just be me and him, ya know?" but you don't get the chance because he's already invited himself along. Eventually 10 years pass and HE'S STILL THERE! HE. WON'T. GO. HOME! He wants to hang out ALL THE TIME! He won't let you see any of your friends because HE HAS TO BE THERE. You'd kick him down the stairs but he hasn't really done anything to warrant THAT but HOLY MOLY HE JUST WON'T TAKE THE HINT AND GO HOME!

Classic Sonic is like the ONE fighter that if he showed up I would be very miffed.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

If you are talking about a character that I've literally never heard about then yeah I would probably be disappointed. Since this next reveal is going to be the last one for a long time I hope it's a character that I have some experience with as I want to go through the same hype adrenaline as I did with characters like Banjo, Steve and Kazuya. Really all I ask for this last character is for it to be literally anyone in my signature. Literally any character that I have some kind of experience with.

Now if it's a character that I've heard about but I haven't played their games, it depends. I would be down for someone like Estelle Bright but if it's Euden or Morrigan I would be underwhelmed.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Honestly, I’m cool with anything for this new fighter.

A new series for me to learn more about. One of the series I constantly stan for just pure enjoyment. A character I’m not a fan of just so I can joke about it and make a pretend vendetta against them. Or a character the community dislikes heavily so I can watch the salt flow harder than it ever had.

I got Ridley and Steve, I’m satisfied with our roster. Anything else is just a massive bonus.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Just because I don't like the game anymore doesn't mean im not allowed to be in certain places and watch what people say
I mean, yeah, but if you really don’t care at all and don’t like the game anymore then what sense is there in being here? You’re not gaining anything from it and even if there are likeminded users here it’s not like there’s much discussion to be had between two people who are completely apathetic toward something.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Steve was the only FP character that I knew, wanted, AND got.

Didn't know Terry before, but love him.
Love Sephiroth and Kazuya as well.

I'll be content with whomever CP11 ends up being, but I'd love for it to be someone that I kinda want, or even just someone from an un-repped series or company.

SKX31

Smash Master
Mixed as well.

B-K's moveset is well-rounded but IMHO a little bit undertuned. It's the only real issue I have with them: for instance, their frame data / damage output is not as consistent (outside of the B moves) as fellow all-rounders :ultmario: and :ultpit: . That said, they're pretty close to getting there and only need QoL improvements: the recent buffs to them did increase their kill power. Which is nice since that's another area they can be inconsistent in (outside of Wonderwing / Smash attacks). Overall though, yeah I'd say that B-K's moveset is fine and works pretty well, mending together an already-established set of attacks into one whole.

Byleth's design is interesting since it seeks to deviate some more from the typical FE character (following Robin's footsteps), and if anything there is something to be said about Byleth's attacks being very strong but commital on the whole - highlighting that strategic element. But a key issue I personally have is that Byleth feels kinda lopsided vertically - Up-Smash and Up-Air are legit amazing meaning that they have no issues pressuring and juggling, but Down-Air and Down-B are commital in most situations leaving N-Air as their only real answer to pressure from below... which does kinda serve the "strong but commital" style yes, but I really feel that Byleth should have another answer downwards. It's similar to my opinions re: Robin. Still though, I've warmed up to the moveset recently thanks to performances at the Serious Business levels - they're somewhat close too, but need a bit more tweaking than B-K do.

I'm one who views Smash primarily through a gameplay-focused lens - with the above being just one example. So really I don't mind characters that I don't know personally - hell, I wasn't fully aware of Kazuya until TTT2, didn't pay him much mind when he was revealed... and now he's my secondary because I find his playstyle insanely fun (and challenging).

Of course, knowing the characters is a bonus - hell I played both mainline B-K games as a kid and that's a main reason why their reveal was more exciting that Hero's during the initial day. Okay, both had been talked about a lot for at least months, but still. That's a positive too - I knew most of the attacks B-K used, and seeing those refitted for Smash was great.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of which, has anyone here actually gotten a character they wanted?
When it comes to Smash, Sephiroth was like my 2nd MW, which is kinda funny because I thought him to be the most impossible out of the bunch (between Shadow, Zero, Dante and such) yet here we are.

Still, aside from him, I think I've never ever gotten a character I actively wanted (wasn't into FF7 when Cloud was added).

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Steve was the only FP character that I knew, wanted, AND got.

Didn't know Terry before, but love him.
Love Sephiroth and Kazuya as well.

I'll be content with whomever CP11 ends up being, but I'd love for it to be someone that I kinda want, or even just someone from an un-repped series or company.
You didn't know Sephiroth? He's one of the most iconic villains ever who has been in the mainstream since FF7's release in 1997 and has appeared in multiple games and a movie. Plus One-Winged Angel is basically the Video Game equivalent of Darth Vader's theme.

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom