• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
You know guys, something rather interesting about FP11. If you count the 7 Koopalings, the 3 other DQ heroes beyond 11, and Alph, we currently have 99 characters in Ultimate. FP11 is character #100
Technically it could be over 100 depending on how you count Alex, Zombie, and Enderman.

...or were they already counted into the 99?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
He would've gotten in earlier if they wanted him for that, sorry.
I love how you've had to walk back from making a boneheaded assumption because you leapt on someone daring to suggest that they still see Chief as a potential option.

One would think you'd have learned not to do this by now but apparently that's expecting too much.

Twilord

Smash Ace
You know guys, something rather interesting about FP11. If you count the 7 Koopalings, the 3 other DQ heroes beyond 11, and Alph, we currently have 99 characters in Ultimate. FP11 is character #100
Nice!

That makes for an excellent place to end so!

Slightly potentially awkward news for anyone who wanted another transformation character I guess...

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I feel like the reason why Zelda hasn't gotten a newcomer since Brawl is that there's not much recurring characters and only focuses on the 3 main ones:
Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.
(Rotating cast or whatever that is)

Most of the popular requests like Skull Kid and Minda are already Assists and we don't even know who to choose, if the series did get another rep. It would still be a different version of someone part of the Triforce trio.
(Link/Zelda/Ganondorf)

Twilord

Smash Ace
I feel like the reason why Zelda hasn't gotten a newcomer since Brawl is that there's not much recurring characters and only focuses on the 3 main ones:
Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.
(Rotating cast or whatever that is)

Most of the popular requests like Skull Kid and Minda are already Assists and we don't even know who to choose, if the series did get another rep. It would still be a different version of someone part of the Triforce trio.
(Link/Zelda/Ganondorf)
Honestly if Ganon wasn't a boss, I would imagine they would be a solid contender.

The thing is Ganondorf already being a brawler undermines what should be their main difference.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was mostly joking, technically a character like that would let them say "over a hundred characters"
So was I lol. While I’d love an Octopath Traveller character, I don’t think it’s remotely possible to have an 8 character transformation. They play too differently to use the Hero idea, although that would work for Bravely Default.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Me too, Jon, me too.

Legit, I'd pay a decent amount of cash to know why Sakurai made certain decisions, how far he goes about stuff like palette swaps, difficulties implementing certain ideas and how he feels about constructive criticism on his decisions

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You heard it here folks. Master Chief is dead.
Why? Idk but you seem confident enough in it that we don’t actually need a reason:4pacman:
Well it's true, he would've taken Steve's slot if Nintendo wanted him.

Twilord

Smash Ace
So was I lol. While I’d love an Octopath Traveller character, I don’t think it’s remotely possible to have an 8 character transformation. They play too differently to use the Hero idea, although that would work for Bravely Default.

Makes sense! Thing is now I'm wondering who they could add who would easily make a double character to make it 'over a hundred'...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Makes sense! Thing is now I'm wondering who they could add who would easily make a double character to make it 'over a hundred'...
I know people are probably getting sick of me mentioning them at this point but Battletoads 😎. Bill Rizer and Lance Bean would also qualify and be almost as cool.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
You heard it here folks. Master Chief is dead.
Why? Idk but you seem confident enough in it that we don’t actually need a reason:4pacman:
Having master chief in smash is like having Mario on Xbox. There’s no value to those companies and hurts those companies more. Having Mario on a Xbox console would increase Xbox sales and possibly decrease Nintendo sales and having master chief in smash would increase Nintendo sales and potentially decrease or hurt Xbox sales. Steve makes sense since minecraft is on every console. It doesn’t hurt Microsoft in the long run and the same goes for banjo.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Me too, Jon, me too.

Legit, I'd pay a decent amount of cash to know why Sakurai made certain decisions, how far he goes about stuff like palette swaps, difficulties implementing certain ideas and how he feels about constructive criticism on his decisions
I wonder just how many fighters we'd learn were planned, considered, or at least wanted if we got a Sakurai book. I also wonder how much that would affect the speculative scene, at least for the moment it release. And then I wonder how much of those surges would stick...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Having master chief in smash is like having Mario on Xbox. There’s no value to those companies and hurts those companies more. Having Mario on a Xbox console would increase Xbox sales and possibly decrease Nintendo sales and having master chief in smash would increase Nintendo sales and potentially decrease or hurt Xbox sales. Steve makes sense since minecraft is on every console. It doesn’t hurt Microsoft in the long run and the same goes for banjo.
If they both increase and decrease then wouldn't it cancel eachother out? We also know for a fact that a DS game was planned for Halo, there's 2 games you can play on the Switch with a Chief skin and Banjo somehow ignoring this sounds like bull****, especially as Sakurai literally said to buy an Xbox if you wanted to play Banjo's games

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If that was actually the case then Chief and Kratos wouldn't be in Fortnite.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m sorry, but I don’t think anybody is going to pick up a Switch over a Series X just because Master Chief was put in Smash. If someone was that big on Masterchief, they’d already own the console his games are on.

Furthermore, The Masterchief Collection is on Steam. Meaning Microsoft is already just fine with putting Halo on competing platforms.

Twilord

Smash Ace

Unless we see older Xbox games on Switch via GamePass; which I would not be too surprised by.

Money in Xbox's pockets, with new Halo and Gears games luring Nintendo fans to modern Xbox after getting hooked. Meanwhile Xbox players get lured to Nintendo by the offer of portable Halo, and then try Metroid or Zelda or even the 'fantasy military' Fire Emblem and get hooked.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I have a pattern for this pass. We have 2 from Nintendo, 2 third parties from Japan, and 1 third party from the West. So the last fighter is a third party from the West. So the potential fighters from the West for the last spot are the Doomslayer and Crash.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I have a pattern for this pass. We have 2 from Nintendo, 2 third parties from Japan, and 1 third party from the West. So the last fighter is a third party from the West. So the potential fighters from the West for the last spot are the Doomslayer and Crash.
I just wanna say DOOM music would be so awesome in Smash
as well as the Doomguy vs. Kazuya matchup

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I count the Ballot as a success regardless of whether or not it influenced Smash 4s DLC.

After all, it got us::ultridley::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie:

and it likely served as a factor in some other fighters getting in too.
It probably also had a hand to play in getting all the veterans back to smash.

Who would you currently regard as the most deserving Nintendo character that needs to be playable in smash and why?
A hard question. I suppose we need to consider scope and impact of the character (and the games). My top three choices would probably be:
1. Paper Mario: Main character of big franchise. Popular outside smash circles. Still relevant franchise of nintendo to this day.
2. Impa/Vatii/Majora´s Mask/Variety of characters from LoZ: Its harder to pin point who is the most deserving of the LoZ characters but the franchise is huge. Its a surprise that the cast has remained so small especially when compared to Fire Emblem.
3. Rhythm Heaven cast: While not as big as the franchises above, it has had quite a healthy life with many games.

I know I am going to probably get raged on for this but I didnt pick these other popular characters because:
Isaac from Golden Sun/ Character from F-Zero/Chibi Robo: The franchises have been dead for a while now. I absolutely would love to see them in smash, partially because this could open the doors for new games in their respective series and I would kill for the ending of Golden Sun and a continuation of F-zero, but I wouldnt call them "deserving" in the traditional sense. I would pin them more as "these should get a second chance".

Waluigi: He is an odd case. He is probably the spin off character supreme and that is the big issue here. More than just smash, I think he desreves to he deserves to debut in a Mario´s mainline games for once or at least join the Wario Ware crew.

Takamaru/Mach Rider/Retro character´s gallore: This one is really hard to measure. Mot of the iconic retro characters (except maybe ice climbers, sorry my lovelies :c) represent an important part in Nintendo´s history. Ice climbers were chosen because of moveset. Picking retro choices is a lot harder because there is a plethora of options and its harder to define who is more deserving especially since characters like Duck Hunt and G&W were chosen as "surprise characters".

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m a little surprised how much overlap there seems to be between Halo fans and Smash fans. I would have imagined that there wouldn’t be much crossover since Halo is a completely different genre and has never appeared on a Nintendo console. Still, it doesn’t seem to prevent Master Chief from being one of the most requested characters. The only X-Box console I’ve ever owned was a 360 for a short time just to play JRPGs (as weird as that sounds). Because of that, I never really had much of a connection towards Halo or Master Chief.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I’m a little surprised how much overlap there seems to be between Halo fans and Smash fans. I would have imagined that there wouldn’t be much crossover since Halo is a completely different genre and has never appeared on a Nintendo console. Still, it doesn’t seem to prevent Master Chief from being one of the most requested characters. The only X-Box console I’ve ever owned was a 360 for a short time just to play JRPGs (as weird as that sounds). Because of that, I never really had much of a connection towards Halo or Master Chief.
There is a really old connection between Nintendo and Microsft fans. The desired crossover known as Haloid:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd chalk that up to Halo being massive... everywhere really.

Doesn't really matter where or when you got your gaming interests started, chances are you know what Halo is, who Master Chief is, and precisely the theme of the series by the first note alone.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros and Halo are both super huge and successful multiplayer games so I feel like there's probably overlap between them for that reason.

Both just so happen to be my favorite multiplayer franchises too. I'd love it if Chief made it into Smash for this reason. it'd actually be kind of poetic in a way for me.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros and Halo are both super huge and successful multiplayer games so I feel like there's probably overlap between them for that reason.

Both just so happen to be my favorite multiplayer franchises too. I'd love it if Chief made it into Smash for this reason. it'd actually be kind of poetic in a way for me.
We'd also finally get an FPS rep...
Oh how poetic.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Honestly it's probably because they are both great party games and great competitive games. Playing Halo on the same console with friends was kind of the name of the game back in the day.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh yeah I had a bold prediction last time. How did I do?

Alright, bold prediction time.
  • Min Min will be our last Nintendo character. This pass will now only include Third Party characters.
  • Fan requests will be ignored unless they correlate with Nintendo's interests.
  • The Monster Hunter mii costumes will return without a Monster Hunter Fighter.
  • Sora will get into this Fighters Pass as a Fighter.
Now I wait for Nintendo to punch all of my predictions out.
Pretty well. Got the first one wrong and the third one right. Going to ignore the second one because there is no way to tell what Nintendo thinks and fourth hasn't happened yet.

Gonna do it again so here we go! Bold prediction time again!
  • Waluigi ain't gonna be upgraded to playable. In fact, no assist trophy will get upgraded.
  • Instead of Mii costumes, we're going to get 4 Echo fighters instead. I predict Dixie Kong and Jin Kazama will fill two of them.
  • The last character will be from a third party that hasn't been brought into Smash Bros yet!
Only got three bold predictions this time and they might seem a bit safe to some but oh well.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For bayonetta I've wondered for a while if people misunderstood her inclusion. In my opinion, there's a chance they were adding her as DLC but not as the ballot winner from the start. But when they saw that she was winning the ballot they moved her to the end. That would mess up their development though, since that would leave them with one less fighter than planned, and that's why they added Corrin, since they wanted to fill that slot, but didn't want to negotiate for another character.

So unlike what most people think, the ballot might not have been rigged (it still could have been though).
Maybe, but convincing me that Bayonetta was even in the top 5-10 for any country is going to be difficult, let alone the overall ballot winner. I never saw the demand for her go that high, and "among realizable characters" makes me question which options were tossed aside in order for Bayonetta to qualify as #1 in Europe and within the top 5 in NA. Once you factor in the scraps of data found prior the ballot's announcement and consider the amount of time needed to obtain the rights to any third-party, this was probably always going to be our "winner".

I have nothing solid to support this theory, but I feel as if more people would agree that the ballot is what led to us getting all the cut fighters, Ridley, K. Rool, and eventually Banjo. I'd honestly have an easier time believing any of those guys won the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom