• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I think it’s only because the disclaimer of future installments was not present in all regions.

I don’t recall seeing it when I used the ballot for instance.

That or it’s a Berenstain/Berenstein sort of deal where it was there but we remember it differently.
I don't remember much from the ballot, not even who I voted for. Maybe it was :ultsteve:? Maybe Chase McCain from Lego City Undercover? Or maybe Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it’s only because the disclaimer of future installments was not present in all regions.

I don’t recall seeing it when I used the ballot for instance.

That or it’s a Berenstain/Berenstein sort of deal where it was there but we remember it differently.
I don't remember if it was on the site but the announcement of the ballot on that April Direct 2015 had outright said it

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't remember much from the ballot, not even who I voted for. Maybe it was :ultsteve:? Maybe Chase McCain from Lego City Undercover? Or maybe Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars...
I remember voting for King K Rool and Agitha myself.

I don't remember if it was on the site but the announcement of the ballot on that April Direct 2015 had outright said it
I think it was on the site, but only in Japan. Regardless, I’ll give the 2015 April Direct a rewatch to check if it was said there.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I see a lot of talk to do with the smash ballot. I wonder if they’ll ever release the actual info one day. Would be interesting to see what the top 10 was and where each character that made it into smash bros dlc ranked in both Europe and Japan.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
They literally said something like that, they said the ballot would be used for future installments yet for some reason people chose to pretend this never happened
The fact people forget that big disclaimer at the beginning of the ballot surprises me to this day.

First off, Bayo, “the ballot winner” started her development in April going off of files we know through data mining. So they did all the legal licensing and started development with no ballot results and she still won? Nah. The evidence just isn’t there. If they truly were going off the ballot, the winner would have been determined in late September. So in 3 months, they licensed Bayo, did enough development on her while making cloud and Corrin to show off in December, and still went off the ballot? That’s just stupid.

Look at ultimate. We can directly say Everyone is Here, Ridley, K Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, Belmonts, And Banjo all came directly from the ballot. You could make a case for Inkling, Hero, Terry, and Steve as well if you really wanted to. All of the design choices of ultimate scream fan service too beyond characters. Battlefield forms, so many stages coming back, trying to bring in popular characters like Krystal, Isaac, and Shovel Knight as ATs, you name it. Ultimate has always been about fan service and the ballot.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The fact people forget that big disclaimer at the beginning of the ballot surprises me to this day.

First off, Bayo, “the ballot winner” started her development in April going off of files we know through data mining. So they did all the legal licensing and started development with no ballot results and she still won? Nah. The evidence just isn’t there. If they truly were going off the ballot, the winner would have been determined in late September. So in 3 months, they licensed Bayo, did enough development on her while making cloud and Corrin to show off in December, and still went off the ballot? That’s just stupid.

Look at ultimate. We can directly say Everyone is Here, Ridley, K Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, Belmonts, And Banjo all came directly from the ballot. You could make a case for Inkling, Hero, Terry, and Steve as well if you really wanted to. All of the design choices of ultimate scream fan service too beyond characters. Battlefield forms, so many stages coming back, trying to bring in popular characters like Krystal, Isaac, and Shovel Knight as ATs, you name it. Ultimate has always been about fan service and the ballot.
I always thought that a sonic rep would do well on the ballot and would pave the way for a new sonic rep in smash ultimate thanks to the ballot but unfortunately I was wrong. It’s still sad to see the sonic franchise treated harshly. 15 years in smash and no 2nd rep yet cloud was treated as an impossible and square was seen as stingy yet cloud got a 2nd character before sonic. NGL it kinda hurts.

I have a bit of faith that the last character is a sega official character and that sega specifically asked for a sonic rep. Fingers crossed

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I always thought that a sonic rep would do well on the ballot and would pave the way for a new sonic rep in smash ultimate thanks to the ballot but unfortunately I was wrong. It’s still sad to see the sonic franchise treated harshly. 15 years in smash and no 2nd rep yet cloud was treated as an impossible and square was seen as stingy yet cloud got a 2nd character before sonic. NGL it kinda hurts.

I have a bit of faith that the last character is a sega official character and that sega specifically asked for a sonic rep. Fingers crossed
Shadow being saved until the final Direct while Sonic got a second AT was absolutely because of ballot response, the square comparison doesn't really mean anything here either. Ironically enough, Sonic's actually got a pretty good amount of content and the issue is Sonic himself having no personality and an uninspired moveset

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Who would you currently regard as the most deserving Nintendo character that needs to be playable in smash and why?
Dixie is a long-standing request, the star of her own game and returning figure in the DK series. I could make an argument for Waddle Dee, Paper Mario and Toad too.

Honestly? Robo-Pup from Nintendogs
This is Dr. Kawashima erasure

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Who would you currently regard as the most deserving Nintendo character that needs to be playable in smash and why?
Deserving is entirely subjective. I personally think Nintendo’s smaller franchises deserve to get in. Characters like Ring Fit Trainee, Officer Howard, Isaac, or Chorus Kids imo deserve it.

It also helps that basically most franchises in smash save Zelda, Mario, or maybe Kirby feel in an ok spot. Obviously new stuff for any series besides Pokémon or Fire Emblem might come along and a rep wouldn’t hurt, but DK, Metroid, Star Fox, etc, they just feel… complete. Heck, I would say Kirby is fine with three reps tbh but that’s just me.

Twilord

Smash Ace
This is Dr. Kawashima erasure
You make an interesting point but my counter argument is "V-Pets basically invented modern casual gaming and deserves a rep". Technically Dr. Kawashima both is an Assist Trophy (like regular Nintendogs) and has Doctor Mario as a fighter for the puzzle genre...

~~Even if Doctor Mario really shouldn't get to count for the puzzle genre.~~

Theguy123

Smash Lord
King boo LM version. Each game has sold exceptionally well and each game has received a positive reception and nothing negative, Luigi mansion 3 selling fantastically well was soo unexpected.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You make an interesting point but my counter argument is "V-Pets basically invented modern casual gaming and deserves a rep". Technically Dr. Kawashima both is an Assist Trophy (like regular Nintendogs) and has Doctor Mario as a fighter for the puzzle genre...

~~Even if Doctor Mario really shouldn't get to count for the puzzle genre.~~
Very valid and interesting point, but my counterargument is the question was about the most deserving “character”, and while the concept of Nintendogs and V-Pets as a whole deserves a rep and could arguably be the most missing idea on the roster, Robo-Dog would be quite a few steps down from representing the icons that made the genre the titan it is. (Although I very much understand that in the context of Nintendogs, the robot version might be better suited for combat)

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about assist trophies and I am still waiting for Isaac to join smash one day. Between the item that semed to come from Golden Sun and the Sakuarai picture, it just doesnt seem fair that he didnt make the cut.

I only main 15. You are absolutely impressive.

I really wonder why the Rhythm Heaven character was completely scrapped to this day. My best guess is that the 3DS limitations may have played a part in its eventual demise especially considering that characters like Lucas, Roy and Mewtwo were added later in development so it wasnt like they couldnt just wait for DLC to add them in.
thank you

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Shadow being saved until the final Direct while Sonic got a second AT was absolutely because of ballot response, the square comparison doesn't really mean anything here either. Ironically enough, Sonic's actually got a pretty good amount of content and the issue is Sonic himself having no personality and an uninspired moveset
In my personal opinion I don’t think shadows AT being one of the last ones was down to the ballot. I think they just didn’t wanna show it off with Knuckles at the time so that knuckles got some spotlight since they were showing off new AT’s at that time. That’s my personal feelings towards the situation though, Everyone’s is different

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While I feel like "deserving" tends to get thrown around a lot, Dixie Kong definitely seems like the most overdue.

An argument could likely be made for the likes of some form of Toad (whether it's a regular Toad, who's been used as a player four character in Mario platformers since Super Mario Bros. 2, or Captain Toad, who has a starring role in spin-offs) or Bandanna Waddle Dee (who's been treated as a core member of the Kirby cast since the Wii era), but Dixie's been part of the DKC series for a while now. She was one of the player characters in the best-regarded game in the series, she took on the starring role in DKC3, and her return in Tropical Freeze was met with plenty of fanfare.

Then again, someone like Impa also seems overdue (or any Zelda character really, but they seem determined to keep Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid stuck as assist trophies for whatever reason). Either way, it's been roughly twenty years since we got a new, unique Zelda character in Smash, which seems baffling considering that it's one of Nintendo's biggest series. (imagine if Smash went 20 years without a single new unique Pokemon character) A Zelda character should definitely be in here, but there's debate as to which one, whereas I don't think there are any plausible alternatives to Dixie Kong as far as DKC characters go.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Would be cool if the last character was an anti villain or anti hero. We haven’t really had one in any of the passes. It’s always been a full on villain or full on hero. Would be nice to see someone who’s part hero part villain get Announced.
Kazuya is 100% an anti-hero. It’s not his fault that he ended up the way he did, but he still does awful things, it’s just the people around him do worse things

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Are you seriously arguing that because they're taking two years to do it currently it always did?
No, I'm saying it took two years because THAT'S HOW DEVELOPMENT PIPELINES WORK.

I'm sure it took less time to make DLC back when they were completely new at it. Cause, ya know, that's how experience works I guess. 🙄

Honestly its not worth my time to continue this conversation
Then by all means don't. I'm tired of hearing you make **** up anyway. You've done nothing but post insane nonsense since you started posting a month ago.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Very valid and interesting point, but my counterargument is the question was about the most deserving “character”, and while the concept of Nintendogs and V-Pets as a whole deserves a rep and could arguably be the most missing idea on the roster, Robo-Dog would be quite a few steps down from representing the icons that made the genre the titan it is. (Although I very much understand that in the context of Nintendogs, the robot version might be better suited for combat)
Good point.

It's honestly why I generally jump to the fighting spin-off of Tamagotchi, Digimon. But honestly even if they went full "The Last Of Us" what Nintendog breed would count as "the most deserving" of them?

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

Literally stole the words out of my mouth, whenever I think of the ballot, I wonder why on Earth didn't another Sonic rep get included.

I'm not salty at Sephiroth because he's awesome but, it's not like people haven't been requesting a Sonic character for ages to come, to the point every single fangame, mod or dream roster has at least one of them.
I just don't get it, even if Shadow or Tails weren't as popular as the ballot winners individually speaking, I imagine they would've come close and by combining the amount of votes between the two, I'd say at least one should be in by now.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Either way, it's been roughly twenty years since we got a new, unique Zelda character in Smash, which seems baffling considering that it's one of Nintendo's biggest series. (imagine if Smash went 20 years without a single new unique Pokemon character)
Unlike Pokemon, Zelda doesn't have a lot of recurring characters. And those it does have, are the ones that are already in Smash.

But yes, Impa is overdue.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Honestly there was probably multiple reasons. In a Interview with Nintendo dream Sakurai said this: "This time our project-proposal is dated May 2012, at that time all characters were decided already. Then as production moves on we will say “We won’t put that character in” and cut out low-priority-characters. (...) About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don’t have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage…even characters that we ended up including could have been left out if development had progressed differently." (You can read the full interview here.)

Rhythm heaven was probably considered very early on in May 2012 because Rhythm heaven Fever just released in North America and was planned to release soon in Europe (February 2012 in North America, July 2012 in Europe, July 2011 in Japan). It was probably considered low priority because of the franchise low popularity in comparaison to other Smash 4 pick and the fact that no other game was planned after that (Megamix did release in 2015 but it probably wasn't in development that early).
I also think trying to program a rhythm-based fighter sounds like a nightmare. Do its moves have to be timed to the background music? If so, how does the character know which song is being played? What about 8-player Smash, or really any play that's more than 1v1? That sounds like it would add an awful lot of cacophony. And then what about items and Final Smashes and whatnot that will change the music? What about the songs that barely qualify as music such as "Enviornmental Noises?" Do you not have it match up with the music, thereby somewhat taking away from its representation as a rhythm game character? If buttons have to be pressed in some sort of rhythm instead, wouldn't that be easy to mess up if the song being played clashes with the rhythm of the button presses? And back in the days of Smash 4, this character would have had to work on both a Wii U and a 3DS. And now, there is also stage morph to consider, which means multiple songs can come on during a match.

I do think, with multiple command input characters under their belts, there may be some way for a rhythm character to be realizable. But I think it would be a very tall order, so I understand why one has yet to make it in.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Then again, someone like Impa also seems overdue (or any Zelda character really, but they seem determined to keep Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid stuck as assist trophies for whatever reason). Either way, it's been roughly twenty years since we got a new, unique Zelda character in Smash, which seems baffling considering that it's one of Nintendo's biggest series. (imagine if Smash went 20 years without a single new unique Pokemon character)

You make a fantastic point. Personally I would love Vaati; because Toon Link is artistically my favourite - but old lady Impa is a close second, and given her emphasis in the last two mainline Zelda who knows. Her younger versions are a bit further down the list for me but would still be great.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Its really weird that Sonic hasn’t gotten another Rep. It feels like it should happened by now since hes the only Third Party to have been in the past three games.
I’m hoping the negotiations they had for FP2 leaded to sega getting a new rep and I’m hoping they went with sonic. If fixing the base roster is to go by anything then I’m 60-80% confident the last fighter will be a sonic rep or at least a sega rep

MattX20

Smash Hero
When it comes to Nintendo characters, the only ones that I'm looking at right now are Ayumi Tachibana, Rhythm Heaven due to its consideration for Smash 4, and Andy because of the upcoming Advance Wars remakes. All 3 of which have had at least a decent history to them. Though, my main focus is currently on Phoenix Wright and Master Chief as potential 3rd party endings. FP11 is probably going to be treated like a bonus character or at the very least like Bayonetta was in Smash 4

Staarih

Smash Master
Either way, it's been roughly twenty years since we got a new, unique Zelda character in Smash, which seems baffling considering that it's one of Nintendo's biggest series. (imagine if Smash went 20 years without a single new unique Pokemon character)
Yeah, Zelda is definitely deserving of a new (unique) character, I'd put that above any other Nintendo character at the moment. But sadly it hasn't really had a standout character, basically just one-off's whose longevity are questionable. Impa does seem next in line, sure, and I'd love to see her in, but even then, it doesn't seem like a clear-cut pick. Same with the Champions. I do hope we see a new Zelda character sooner than later though.

I do think, with multiple command input characters under their belts, there may be some way for a rhythm character to be realizable. But I think it would be a very tall order, so I understand why one has yet to make it in.
I'd assume a rhythm-based character would be based more on rhythmic inputs and visual cues. And not fully based on the rhythm, like, the character would still deal damage even if the inputs aren't in rhythm, but they'd be more powerful if on-rhythm. Or something like that.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Literally stole the words out of my mouth, whenever I think of the ballot, I wonder why on Earth didn't another Sonic rep get included.

I'm not salty at Sephiroth because he's awesome but, it's not like people haven't been requesting a Sonic character for ages to come, to the point every single fangame, mod or dream roster has at least one of them.
I just don't get it, even if Shadow or Tails weren't as popular as the ballot winners individually speaking, I imagine they would've come close and by combining the amount of votes between the two, I'd say at least one should be in by now.
And then you have me, sometimes popping into this thread to shill for the Eggman Empire! Though, for the record, I'd also love to see Tails or Shadow.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Master Chief
If it's because "Finishes the Fight!", don't. The Japanese trailers all have "Joins the battle!" as a tagline, they don't care about localization. See: Byleth's trailer having to have that awkward "Byleth...recruits Byleth!" screen because the West wouldn't have "Bereto joins the battle!" and "Beresu joins the battle!"

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If it's because "Finishes the Fight!", don't. The Japanese trailers all have "Joins the battle!" as a tagline, they don't care about localization. See: Byleth's trailer having to have that awkward "Byleth...recruits Byleth!" screen because the West wouldn't have "Bereto joins the battle!" and "Beresu joins the battle!"
No, it's not because of that. It's due to his iconic status as a gaming mascot, arguably the most recognized after Mario and Sonic. He's without question one of the most well recognized faces in gaming period.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No, it's not because of that. It's due to his iconic status as a gaming mascot, arguably the most recognized after Mario and Sonic. He's without question one of the most well recognized faces in gaming period.
He would've gotten in earlier if they wanted him for that, sorry.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
For Zelda reps, I still want my favorite moon dropping sadist:
View attachment 322082
Especially after replaying Majoras Mask.He’d be such a neat inclusion.
Far from my first choice for a Zelda rep, but still a neat pick.

Saw a concept ages ago that I would love for the next game; Skull Kid and Vaati as echoes.

Fairies and Bats respectively do their neutrals, but their specials include turning you to wood/stone respectively and a teleport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom