• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
I've heard of Ys, but I know nothing about it. What's it like, in terms of gameplay and difficulty? I've been playing through more JRPGs recently, and seeing that quite a lot of people here like it makes me think it must be pretty good. Also, what consoles can I play the games on?
The Switch has Ys VIII, Ys IX, and Ys Origin.

The PS4 has the same as the Switch as well as Ys: Memories of Celceta.

Steam has pretty much the same as the Switch/PS4, as well as Ys I & II Chronicles, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys VI and Ys Seven.

The only Ys game that is missing from these is Ys V, but that game hasn't been officially localized.

As for the gameplay, Ys is an action RPG series that places an emphasis on exploration and fast-paced combat. Ys VIII is a great place to start, and is currently on sale right now on PS4 and Steam. PS4's sale is actually a little bit cheaper at $20. It is more than worth that price in my opinion.

If you look at Falcom's Steam page, you can see that their games are generally rated highly on there. Not to mention that they are all currently on sale.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've heard of Ys, but I know nothing about it. What's it like, in terms of gameplay and difficulty? I've been playing through more JRPGs recently, and seeing that quite a lot of people here like it makes me think it must be pretty good. Also, what consoles can I play the games on?
Chronicles uses Bump which is basically Link to the past but instead of pressing a button to attack enemies you walk into them, Oath in Felghana, Ark of Nipashtism or however it's spelled and Origins use a more refined hack and slash style and 7, VIII and IX use a party system where you control 3 characters. I reccomend doing Chronicles first as it's the first two games and then go to 6 as 6 is easily the worst in the series for me, though worst here means least good. Also IX doesn't come out today for me I have to wait until the end of the month as I am a filthy European

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

Steam has pretty much the same as the Switch/PS4, as well as Ys I & II Chronicles, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys VI and Ys Seven.

The only Ys game that is missing from these is Ys V, but that game hasn't been officially localized.

As for the gameplay, Ys is an action RPG series that places an emphasis on exploration and fast-paced combat. Ys VIII is a great place to start, and is currently on sale right now on PS4 and Steam. PS4's sale is actually a little bit cheaper at $20. It is more than worth that price in my opinion.

If you look at Falcom's Steam page, you can see that their games are generally rated highly on there. Not to mention that they are all currently on sale.
It's nice to know that every localised game is playable on modern platforms, other companies should take notes (looking at you ATLUS). I like games with exploration a lot, I've spent hours going around games just seeing what I find and not engaging with any main objectives, so that sounds nice.

I'll probably check out the earlier games on steam at some point soon then.

Chronicles uses Bump which is basically Link to the past but instead of pressing a button to attack enemies you walk into them, Oath in Felghana, Ark of Nipashtism or however it's spelled and Origins use a more refined hack and slash style and 7, VIII and IX use a party system where you control 3 characters. I reccomend doing Chronicles first as it's the first two games and then go to 6 as 6 is easily the worst in the series for me, though worst here means least good. Also IX doesn't come out today for me I have to wait until the end of the month as I am a filthy European
I've not played many action RPGs, but I like alttp, so that sounds pretty nice. I've played a few hack and slash games as well and I like them, so I'll probably like them.

Also, as a fellow filthy European, I know your pain. I hate how little companies care about releasing games here, especially JRPGs. I wasn't a fan of the series back then (since I was too young to have even heard of it), but I've heard horror stories of the European SMT IV launch. (At least I got it for less than £20 when I did buy it).

Thanks for telling me this guys, I think I have a decent idea of what the series is like now, and I'll probably check out the earlier games, since I like old-school rpgs and exploration.

Edit: I just bought Chronicles on steam since it was on sale for just over £2.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Keep us updated on that last part. That might be useful for speculation. Edit, that's apparently the website certification
So does the fact that the Website Certification mean that Webpage will expire on that day right.

Anyway there is a question I got to ask. If we get a Fall Direct of some kind, but Nintendo either doesn't show of Smash there, or Nintendo tells us to wait a bit longer for news on Smash DLC, what will be your reaction/thoughts?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So does the fact that the Website Certification mean that Webpage will expire on that day right.

Anyway there is a question I got to ask. If we get a Fall Direct of some kind, but Nintendo either doesn't show of Smash there, or Nintendo tells us to wait a bit longer for news on Smash DLC, what will be your reaction/thoughts?
It depends on which one of the two situations happens. If they skip over it I’d just be confused. If they address it BoTW2 style then I’m just kinda confused still but not as much or I would overanalyze the exact wording.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Don’t really know. A bit confused probabaly. But it would make me for hopeful that the last character is an assist trophy upgrade. The only reason i could think of for a long wait would be an assist trophy upgrade. I’d suspect they’d require more effort than building a character from scratch and depending on the move set as well then it could be a pain. I can’t really think of a reason for a massive delay other than an AT upgrade

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Also in some potential interesting stuff, Apparently someone on 4chan said that all Events, Tourney, etc of this extra content is to end on February, 23rd, 2022. This is apparently not checkable on the Website, but on the news site in the actual game, so I'll go check it when I get on Smash
Was this a quote or line included in an actual news post? Or just an estimate based on patterns? 🤔

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

I'd hope that means it's either coming eith loads of content, or it's the nahobino and they're waiting for SMT V to release.

Don’t really know. A bit confused probabaly. But it would make me for hopeful that the last character is an assist trophy upgrade. The only reason i could think of for a long wait would be an assist trophy upgrade. I’d suspect they’d require more effort than building a character from scratch and depending on the move set as well then it could be a pain. I can’t really think of a reason for a massive delay other than an AT upgrade
I'd assume an assist upgrade would take less time, since they already have a model, sound effects and animations to use as a base. I know they'd have to disable the assist or whatever, but they could just copy the code that does that under different circumstances and slightly tweak it. It's not the massive hassle some people make it out to be (unless the Smash developers are either bad or inefficient programmers, which is unlikely.)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I'd hope that means it's either coming eith loads of content, or it's the nahobino and they're waiting for SMT V to release.

I'd assume an assist upgrade would take less time, since they already have a model, sound effects and animations to use as a base. I know they'd have to disable the assist or whatever, but they could just copy the code that does that under different circumstances and slightly tweak it. It's not the massive hassle some people make it out to be (unless the Smash developers are either bad or inefficient programmers, which is unlikely.)
I always thought an assist trophy would take longer because the moves it uses would need to be reworked into the moveset which depending on the type of moveset could be a pain compared to doing a character from scratch.

For example let’s say shadow was last, his chaos control would need a massive rework to fit his moveset, it wouldn’t work as a counter since that’s not really what it is so it’s massively different to others thus use slow down to counter opponents, then you gotta work out a good width for it and then design a Moveset on top of that which could make it harder than just making a character from scratch.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Was this a quote or line included in an actual news post? Or just an estimate based on patterns? 🤔
So I looked in the game. If you go to the News tab in the Actual Smash Ultimate game, and you click on any of the news pages, if you press the Start button for more info you can see that the Website certification ends pretty much February 23rd, 2022.

That's why 4chan Anon was saying that's gonna be the true end of Smash Ultimate, at least by then

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I always thought an assist trophy would take longer because the moves it uses would need to be reworked into the moveset which depending on the type of moveset could be a pain compared to doing a character from scratch.

For example let’s say shadow was last, his chaos control would need a massive rework to fit his moveset, it wouldn’t work as a counter since that’s not really what it is so it’s massively different to others thus use slow down to counter opponents, then you gotta work out a good width for it and then design a Moveset on top of that which could make it harder than just making a character from scratch.
They….don’t need to use their AT move though. Designing Shadow would be like designing any other character.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

If it was that difficult to rework their attributes as an assist, surely they'd just... not do that? If they thought reworking the assist was extra effort, they could just make the fighter from scratch.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Thanks for the notice on the sale. I’ve been wanting to try Ys VIII for a long time now but I didn’t want to buy it all full price. I just purchased it for $20 on the PS4.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think it's been noted that the AT models are lower in quality than the actual fighters, but yeah, if anything the ATs would at least give just a little bit of a head start. Not that much, but it'd still help the development process more than it would hurt.

To be fair, if the moves are too tricky to implement they can easily be cut out. Dark Samus uses none of her AT moves (Unfortunately), and Isabelle doesn't have her fruit-throwing from Smash 4. I'd imagine they would just approach an AT promo as they would any other fighter, rather than as a direct translation of an AT.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

If that means we'll get a banger announcement at VGA later this year, I couldn't be anymore happier, even if it isn't one of my MWs.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While I would like for the Mii costumes to come first during the final character presentation
Same. Otherwise, nobody will care who the last Mii wave is once they know their characters aren't already!

For those really devastating youtube reactions, we have to see the Miis first. :p

Western NES Characters of decent notoriety:

1) The Battletoads - These have been addressed above in the thread
2) The Snakes in Snake Rattle and Roll - I think their names are Rattle and Roll. I love them.
3) Paperboy - He's a Paperboy. His game was massive NES/Game Boy era
4) Q-Bert - Wreck-it Ralph's buddy. Plus he's never gone too far.
5) Harry - Super Pitfall was on the NES.
6) Linus Spacehead - More well known in the UK than US, but he had some notoriety.
7) Dizzy - See Linus Spacehead
I don't think any of those but BTs, Q-Bert and MAYBE Paperboy have any notoriety at all.

And Q-bert and Harry are more Atari characters than NES characters.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
So apparently, the number for the Kazuya tournament is 4050, not 4029 like I was guessing it was. That, and there's also the two missing spirit events 1019 and 1035, and the missing news updates 2132, 2129, 2119, 2063, and 2007
How do we know the ID number of these things? Are they all just datamined?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Same. Otherwise, nobody will care who the last Mii wave is once they know their characters aren't already!

For those really devastating youtube reactions, we have to see the Miis first. :p
While I agree that there would be some devastating reactions if the Mii's came first, I feel that if the Mii Wave contains only Mii costumes from a specific franchise then it could lead to us realizing that franchise is in with a fighter (depending on the costumes of course).

For example, nothing but Ninja Gaiden Miis but no Ryu Hayabusa costume all but confirms the Ninja himself in my eyes.

Then again, considering Pyra/Mythra were nothing but Capcom Miis in their wave, I'm not really sure if it's a concern.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

An assist trophy wouldn't take longer. The only kind that would probably take longer is if they were promoting someone like Akira, since I wouldn't see them using the polygonal design for an actual fighter there.

In a few cases, I really don't see them making a model purposefully low poly. That just seems like too much work to try and fit it to exact specifications.

Take Isaac for example. His assist trophy's poly count is normal, but his mii costume has a higher poly count by comparison. We know these are derived from the same exact model, since they share the same exact texture mapping.

For a character that was an assist in smash 4 and just ported over to ultimate, I could see some difficulties arising, since if such a base model exists, it'd be severely outdated for current day standards, but for a character like Isaac who clearly has a much more easily workable model I can only see it being trivial.

As well, I doubt a playable rendition of an assist trophy would reuse moves from the assist trophy, and if so, they'd be changed quite a lot.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
as 6 is easily the worst in the series for me, though worst here means least good
That hurts :( I actually loved VI. Seven as well.

I've not played many action RPGs, but I like alttp, so that sounds pretty nice. I've played a few hack and slash games as well and I like them, so I'll probably like them.

Also, as a fellow filthy European, I know your pain. I hate how little companies care about releasing games here, especially JRPGs. I wasn't a fan of the series back then (since I was too young to have even heard of it), but I've heard horror stories of the European SMT IV launch. (At least I got it for less than £20 when I did buy it).

Thanks for telling me this guys, I think I have a decent idea of what the series is like now, and I'll probably check out the earlier games, since I like old-school rpgs and exploration.

Edit: I just bought Chronicles on steam since it was on sale for just over £2.
Yeah the most of the games are very cheap when they're on sale, at least on Steam.

Ys I & II Chronicles are old classic action RPGs, keep in mind that. Good luck with the final boss of the first one haha. If you have questions or need help you can ask in Adol's support thread so we can help you better.

The series is basically a fast paced action RPG franchise as others said. Except for recent entries the games are usually straight to the point, like, these games aren't 40-50 hours long like most JRPGs.
Also kinda challenging games, with fantastic music.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As well, I doubt a playable rendition of an assist trophy would reuse moves from the assist trophy, and if so, they'd be changed quite a lot.
I'd think it'd only happen if a promoted AT was one of the "diet fighter" variety. Someone like Zero or Krystal for example. Isaac...tries to be a diet fighter, but he still feels a bit too much like his Brawl AT.

And even then they'd just reuse the animations while code would be inherited from actual fighters.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
That hurts :( I actually loved VI. Seven as well.

Yeah the most of the games are very cheap when they're on sale, at least on Steam.

Ys I & II Chronicles are old classic action RPGs, keep in mind that. Good luck with the final boss of the first one haha. If you have questions or need help you can ask in Adol's support thread so we can help you better.

The series is basically a fast paced action RPG franchise as others said. Except for recent entries the games are usually straight to the point, like, these games aren't 40-50 hours long like most JRPGs.
Also kinda challenging games, with fantastic music.
I'll probably ask a few questions there, since I do have a few, thanks.

Also, I'd love Ys content in smash just for the music. Wow. If I realised Yuzo Koshiro worked on the games I'd have at least listened to their music a lot sooner.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Diet fighter? Like - can be KO'd?

In this context, "Diet Fighter" means a character who has qualities such as a fighter, like moving around on the same plane as them in order to attack. Alucard and Krystal are this sort of thing.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
honestly how/why haven't people made a playable assist trophies mod yet ?
The same reason Master Hand hasn't been made playable via mods outside of the World of Light minigame; it's not nearly that easy. You can't just take an item (which playable Master Hand internally is - yeah, I don't know either) and make it playable. Not without some serious elbow grease. Giga Bowser only works out like that because he is a fighter internally. The Giga Bowser "boss" is just controlling the fighter with some extra enhancements such as no hitstun/knockback. None of the other bosses - ironically including the one that actually is playable to a limited degree - work like this. They're items.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hypothetically, if there was a contest to 'win' a slot for your character of choice in Smash Bros, but in order to enter it you had to submit a 50,000 word thesis on why they deserved to get in - would you enter? And for who?
I'd certainly enter for Sora or Crash!

...Only, I'm not sure I can muster up the energy to write 50,000 words for both of them combined.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hypothetically, if there was a contest to 'win' a slot for your character of choice in Smash Bros, but in order to enter it you had to submit a 50,000 word thesis on why they deserved to get in - would you enter? And for who?
Oh yeah, it's time to go off about Yume Nikki and its legacy... Let's go, Madotsuki.
I would smoke all of you in a contest like this.

Maybe. I dunno... Evil Trapezium would probably beat me, actually...

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
50,000 is a lot. I have a 10,000 word essay on why Pyramid Head is a perfect example of good horror design. I could bloat that and include more Smash related topics. It might work.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I'd certainly enter for Sora or Crash!

...Only, I'm not sure I can muster up the energy to write 50,000 words for both of them combined.
I feel like the first step would be to think of as many key points for either as you possibly could.

I would probably try to think of ten key arguments as far appart from each other as possible. Then expend each of those into a much smaller essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom