• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Master Chief has been seemingly dis-confirmed by Brian Jarrard

The Waluigi outcry only seems to be a western thing and from what I've seen Nintendo of America are only a marketing and translation team. I could see Sakurai maybe listening to the outcry but Japan Nintendo are picking out the characters and I don't see them paying any mind to the Waluigi craze. Especially when most of the characters in both fighter passes aren't particularly requested by fans in the west. I mean Banjo & Kazooie got in but I doubt that was done entirely by Nintendo's free will when they're the only characters who were revealed and released with another character being Hero and Terry so I assume they didn't have much confidence in the bear & bird duo.

The other five I have no idea what to think of them so you're probably right about them.

As for who I think is most likely, I know everyone thinks Cortez is a long shot but this is probably the best chance he has ever got into being an actual Smash character. The revival of the series happening within the Fighter Pass 1 & 2 range has brought me a lot of hope. Especially when they brought back Steve Ellis and David Doak to work on the project and uh... Sakurai likes to get the original devs on board to accurately make the characters soooooooo...

Time to Split!

View attachment 321207

1625106907368.png

He said this during FP2.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
So, one thing. We had two leftover "datamined" system announcements, right? One of them was announced today, the MH Stories 2 Spirit.

So... what's the other one?
It's just the MH Stories 2 Spirit. Promotional Spirits occupy two slots. The first one is for the announcement of the event and the other one is for the notice you get when obtaining the Spirit after having bought the related game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not bothered by them being a Smash Original moveset/class itself. But the debut thing for the tourneys are weird. Steve's actual avatar appeared before 2010, but that's still the tourney they went with. Inconsistent indeed.

That said, I'd love an actual regular Mii as a fighter, with pre-set designs of more infamous official Mii designs. That'd separate them better, as they would have the cool Sports/etc. stuff from all the MIi/Wii games. Nothing like a singing taunt. I don't see it as something realistic, especially as part of the gimmick is "making your own Mii". But hey, we all have fun dreams. XD
In terms of Steve's debut, Sakurai was going by the release date of the 1.0 version of Minecraft (which was in 2011).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Meanwhile that Dante Mii outfit is... I don't want to say it's a slap in the face - I'm sure there were good intentions behind including it - but I get why it feels that way.
I don't know what else you could reasonably do to improve it. It's got his hair, outfit and weapon. That's kinda all there is.

The characters that work best as Miis work because they were already proportioned like Miis.

A normal looking human is never going to look right as a Mii, no matter what you do.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The problem with Mii costumes as representation is that the Miis/mii features themselves are way too limited. We only have stubby models with unrealistic human proportions, the whole "Mii face" issue, very few custom moves to work with, and nothing else that can be customized beyond voices (no way to change taunts, victory animations, etc.)

Even some of the better Mii costumes like Sans, Cuphead, Skull Kid, and Shantae suffer some of these issues.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem with Mii costumes as representation is that the Miis/mii features themselves are way too limited. We only have stubby models with unrealistic human proportions, the whole "Mii face" issue, very few custom moves to work with, and nothing else that can be customized beyond voices (no way to change taunts, victory animations, etc.)

Even some of the better Mii costumes like Sans, Cuphead, Skull Kid, and Shantae suffer some of these issues.
Pretty much.

It's also why Sakurai likes to treat them as consolation prizes. That said, it's just a fun thing and not meant to literally represent a character. You can only somewhat feel like them at best.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The problem with Mii costumes as representation is that the Miis/mii features themselves are way too limited. We only have stubby models with unrealistic human proportions, the whole "Mii face" issue very few custom moves to work with, and nothing else that can be customized beyond voices (no way to change taunts, victory animations, etc.)

Yeah, this is the problem, I feel. You can give them a really convincing costume, but in the end, it's still just that - A costume. For example, let's say we got an Adol Mii. Sure, you can find analogues to his Skills, but it's still pretty obvious it's not Adol. It's the same old Mii Swordfighter normals, same old victory screens and fanfare, same selection of voice clips, same Mii proportions. It might be a bit of extra work to put together and balance, but at the very least you could have the costumes give a couple extra unique specials to make it feel just a bit more convincing; For example, Dante's Mii could've had Ivory and Ebony as a neutral special, or Bomberman's Mii could've had an actual bomb. Something to make it feel like it's more than just trying to squeeze in as many names as possible and leaving it at that.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I've recently been thinking of the possibility of Frisk being the last fighter and I don't think it's quite as farfetched as it sounds
  • Would continue the trend of franchises that previously missed out on playable status making it into FP2
  • Would be the first true indie rep (is Steve considered an indie rep? Like I know Minecraft started as an indie game but it's one of the highest selling games of all time now, just don't tend to think Minecraft when I think indie anymore)
  • Toby Fox claimed he visited Sakurai’s house, but they only negotiated a Mii costume and song with no spirits unlike Cuphead and Shantae? The lack of spirits is especially odd, considering Sakurai has talked positively about Undertale before
  • Toby Fox in particular is tight with Nintendo and a big Smash fan, even referencing it in Deltarune
  • Toby Fox has worked with Game Freak on Little Town Hero and SwSh, doing music for their games
  • Could greatly help promote Deltarune, which was teased to be coming to Switch in a Nintendo Direct about a week or so before the PS4 version was revealed
  • Undertale turns 6 years old this September
  • Appeals to the west and Japan
  • Undertale begins with Frisk falling down a pit, trailer could perhaps be a continuation of Kazuya’s for this reason
  • Would offer a unique playstyle most likely revolving around alternating between pacifism and genocide
  • The second fighter pass was confirmed earlier in the day of when Sans’ Mii costume was revealed
  • The Mii costumes released alongside Frisk could be from other indie franchises such as Shovel Knight and DDLC, as well as other Undertale mii costumes and spirits
it's still a long shot considering it already got representation through Sans and Megalovania but idk the fact that it didn't get spirits like the other enhanced mii costumes seems odd

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I've recently been thinking of the possibility of Frisk being the last fighter and I don't think it's quite as farfetched as it sounds
  • Would continue the trend of franchises that previously missed out on playable status making it into FP2
  • Would be the first true indie rep (is Steve considered an indie rep? Like I know Minecraft started as an indie game but it's one of the highest selling games of all time now, just don't tend to think Minecraft when I think indie anymore)
  • Toby Fox claimed he visited Sakurai’s house, but they only negotiated a Mii costume and song with no spirits unlike Cuphead and Shantae? The lack of spirits is especially odd, considering Sakurai has talked positively about Undertale before
  • Toby Fox in particular is tight with Nintendo and a big Smash fan, even referencing it in Deltarune
  • Toby Fox has worked with Game Freak on Little Town Hero and SwSh, doing music for their games
  • Could greatly help promote Deltarune, which was teased to be coming to Switch in a Nintendo Direct about a week or so before the PS4 version was revealed
  • Undertale turns 6 years old this September
  • Appeals to the west and Japan
  • Undertale begins with Frisk falling down a pit, trailer could perhaps be a continuation of Kazuya’s for this reason
  • Would offer a unique playstyle most likely revolving around alternating between pacifism and genocide
  • The second fighter pass was confirmed earlier in the day of when Sans’ Mii costume was revealed
  • The Mii costumes released alongside Frisk could be from other indie franchises such as Shovel Knight and DDLC, as well as other Undertale mii costumes and spirits
it's still a long shot considering it already got representation through Sans and Megalovania but idk the fact that it didn't get spirits like the other enhanced mii costumes seems odd
And don't forget, we weirdly haven't had an undertale spirit event yet. So, even though it might not mean much, it still is interesting.

EDIT: Oh, nvm, you kind of referenced the lack of spirits in the third bulletin. My bad. But yeah, this stuff is still a bit weird.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
For example, Dante's Mii could've had Ivory and Ebony as a neutral special, or Bomberman's Mii could've had an actual bomb.
Honestly, even just altering the Cannonball Toss to be a bomb (barely any impact damage but it explodes) would go a long way. But I think that would also make Miis less likely to be tournament legal, since the whole thing is they're standardized now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Finished listening to all the Tekken tracks.

Maybe...4 good songs total:
Moonlit Wilderness
DUOMO DI SIRIO
Moonsiders
Aloneness

I swear like 90% of the rest of the tracks all sound the same.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

Moonlit Wilderness
DUOMO DI SIRIO
Moonsiders
Aloneness

highly disagree, though I'll admit I don't care for most of the remixes

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally, I would've slapped on at minimum ten more Tekken 7 songs, but that's just personal bias.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'll be honest, I really like Tekken's Soundtrack, but I'm actually a little disappointed with certain omissions from the tracklist

Mostly the lack of Boss themes. The Boss Themes of every Tekken game tends to be my favorite, so the fact barely any of them are here is sad. We got Tekken 1, 2, and 7 for Boss theme which is good (since they are associated with both Kazuya and Heihachi), and I'm very happy they added in the Console version of Emotionless Passion, I was worried only Arcade version and Remix would be used

But the rest of the boss themes are missing, and it really sucks.

I also have a pet peeve with the Tekken Tag Intro. I really like the fact that it's here, but they could loop the track to continuously play. It's just really weird how there's a bit of silenece after the track is finished. that's something I expect from someone forgetting to add a loop to a Modded track into the game, not from the actual development team

TraaP

Smash Cadet
By the way do we know what Kazuya’s internal codename is? Like how Hero’s was “Brave”.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Moonlit Wilderness
DUOMO DI SIRIO
Moonsiders
Aloneness

I just listened to every song last night and the snow castle song was really good in my opinion. Most of the songs sound a little repetitive though.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
6092E29A-EEA4-4ACC-B457-51585ACF2725.jpeg

I like updating this every once in a while, any feedback is appreciated. Just my perspective of course and there’s plenty of other gaming characters out there

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 321288
I like updating this every once in a while, any feedback is appreciated. Just my perspective of course and there’s plenty of other gaming characters out there
This reeks of favoritism as opposed to unbiased thinking.

As cool as Monkey Ball is, Aiai ain't getting in Smash anytime soon.

Twilord

Smash Ace
View attachment 321288
Not to be a jerk but how is Monokuma likely? Also you really should have more first parties on there if you really want the most likely ones. If I had to guess, Legendary Trainer from Legends Arceus.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don’t see how Aiai could really work as a Smash character. How would he grab, pick up items, or hang onto ledges with no limbs?
Presumably, he'd stay out of his marble for the majority of his moveset, with only certain moves allowing him to roll inside it. Most mini-games, some spin-offs, and crossover appearances feature AiAi like that, so there is precedence.

Alternatively, he can use the boxing glove power up as extra limbs but I don't see it as a likely option.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
This reeks of favoritism as opposed to unbiased thinking.

As cool as Monkey Ball is, Aiai ain't getting in Smash anytime soon.
The irony that I’ve only played games from 2 of the 8 characters listed

as for Aiai I just felt it was out there but likely enough that I didn’t want to ignore it

Not to be a jerk but how is Monokuma likely? Also you really should have more first parties on there if you really want the most likely ones. If I had to guess, Legendary Trainer from Legends Arceus.
Spike Chunsoft (the company that makes Danganronpa) has made all the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and Danganronpa is getting a new mainline game exclusively for Switch later this year. Plus they keep saying Danganronpa has more planned for it’s anniversary, even after revealing the new mainline entry. I was mainly including characters that come from people or companies that are close with Nintendo (Sega, Capcom, ATLUS, Spike Chunsoft, etc). The only reason Crash is listed is because of Dante’s Mii costume getting in due to fan demand, otherwise I wouldn’t have included him

Also what would the trainer offer new? Every DLC character (at least in this wave) has offered something unique in their movesets (Min Min’s arms being used in place of typical special moves, Steve’s crafting and block placing, Sephiroth’s reach, Pythra bringing back character swapping and having all kinds of unique special moves and Kazuya being Kazuya). I don’t see what the trainer would offer that isn’t already covered by Pokemon Trainer

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I think it would be funny if the last DLC fighter was an entirely original anime swordfighter villain with an objectively overpowered moveset. They're gonna make people mad no matter who gets in, so why not shoot for the moon and make everyone mad?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
View attachment 321288
AiAi is a bias pick and I respect that, stick to your guns. In general, I think a first party character wouldn’t hurt (although I’ll admit I’m banking on a first party too much). As for the other characters, I’m not sure about Monokuma. Not because Danganropa is a weird fit, but just because I’m unsure whether they’d pick Monokuma as the character. I’m personally not too sure about Crash either, though I can obviously see his merits so I don’t think you’re in the wrong for putting him in there. The presence of Capcom is odd because of the Miis but I actually think that’s not a problem considering this wave’s Mii Costumes were a special case and I can definitely see the final wave being similarly unrelated to the character. Ray-Man and Undertale seem popular picks and SMTV is contentious but generally understood to be a valid dark horse, if not a cursed one born from pessimism and a classic phobia for blue hair swordwielders.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
AiAi is a bias pick and I respect that, stick to your guns. In general, I think a first party character wouldn’t hurt (although I’ll admit I’m banking on a first party too much). As for the other characters, I’m not sure about Monokuma. Not because Danganropa is a weird fit, but just because I’m unsure whether they’d pick Monokuma as the character. I’m personally not too sure about Crash either, though I can obviously see his merits so I don’t think you’re in the wrong for putting him in there. The presence of Capcom is odd because of the Miis but I actually think that’s not a problem considering this wave’s Mii Costumes were a special case and I can definitely see the final wave being similarly unrelated to the character. Ray-Man and Undertale seem popular picks and SMTV is contentious but generally understood to be a valid dark horse, if not a cursed one born from pessimism and a classic phobia for blue hair swordwielders.
I just really don’t see who Nintendo and Sakurai would add that’s first party that would make sense in the time frame unless it was just a complete fan favorite pick. Even then they’ve seriously narrowed their options with the assist trophies and gotten the ones left through DLC as of late. Unless the reason we haven’t had a LM3 spirit event is because we’re getting King Boo, I just don’t see who out of the first parties would be a character they’d want to go with

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Konami: Metal Gear, Castlevania
SEGA: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker (Atlus)
Capcom: Mega Man, Street Fighter
Bandai Namco: Pac-Man, Tekken
Square-Enix: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft (Mojang)
SNK: Fatal Fury

See this is kinda why I always had trouble seeing the likes of Okami or Super Monkey Ball getting characters. When you look at the third party companies included, they're repped by their biggest and most popular series, and also their mascots (like Terry for SNK). The main exceptions being the ones that had heavy fan demand from the ballot, like Banjo and Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Konami: Metal Gear, Castlevania
SEGA: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker (Atlus)
Capcom: Mega Man, Street Fighter
Bandai Namco: Pac-Man, Tekken
Square-Enix: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Minecraft (Mojang)
SNK: Fatal Fury

See this is kinda why I always had trouble seeing the likes of Okami or Super Monkey Ball getting characters. When you look at the third party companies included, they're repped by their biggest and most popular series, and also their mascots (like Terry for SNK). The main exceptions being the ones that had heavy fan demand from the ballot, like Banjo and Bayonetta.
I see what you mean about Okami but what other big Sega franchises are there that’s still getting games? Yakuza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom