• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On top of that, he has a Bowser style command grab, a down smash that breaks shields ala Sephiroth, and a Fox/Falco style recovery...

Sakurai said the character was struggling during the balance tests, but man they really went kinda crazy lmao
And yet he still got his ass kicked by Min Min smh

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'll be real with you Ura, Andy is someone they should've added back in Brawl, or might've been more likely if Advance Wars didn't do so poorly in Japan. It's really hard to imagine him getting in now,

I'm just going to save my sanity and expect Hanafuda to somehow be the last fighter.

Smash favors final reveals being more inexplicable than satisfactory (G&W, ROB, Duck Hunt, Corrin, Piranha Plant), and if you think about it, they are more likely to deflect mass disappointment by choosing someone so confusing that confusion becomes people's foremost reaction. Either that, or satisfy a slice of the crowd that you can only hope is big enough to drown out the disappointment from the rest.
Really not that hard with his game literally being remade this year and the Wars series having a strong legacy in Nintendo history.

If there was ever a time to do it, it's right now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless I'm not expecting Waluigi to happen.

If he miraclely does, I'll eat my words, I admit it.

If anyone wants, they can quote this post.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If I take Joker's inclusion and third party characters into account, Aloy and 2B came out in the same year as P5 and I know Sakurai loved Nier Automata and he and Yoko Taro hold massive respect for one another which is why, along with moveset potential, made me believe 2B would be in this game. Aloy has a **** ton of potential too but no talks about her
I think people tend to avoid speculating Sony character because they feel that the respective company probably won't do such a collaboration with Nintendo
though I'd love for it to happen : (

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
View attachment 320905
  • >CAPCOM characters still have a chance after the deluge of CAPCOM content being used as Mii Costume filler since the early days of Ultimate DLC
  • >SquareEnix characters still have a chance after Sephiroth
  • >Dudebro Shooter Men still have a chance despite having no presence in Japan
  • >Spyro still has a chance despite being objectively less popular than Crash
  • >Reimu still has a chance despite having no presence in the good old US of A
  • >Sora still has a chance

You're a fool.
Ayo, this isn't 4chan

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just asking, but have we received an M rated character yet? Most of the mii costumes from M rated series usually use the characters name alone, not the series itself. And while I know Bayo is from an M game, I cannot think of any Ultimate DLC coming from those types of games.
Joker comes from an M rated game as well.

Not a good comparison no characters from spirit boards have even happened.
Except said Spirit Event deconfirmed all the likely characters in one fell swoop.
My argument is that I believe the Heihachi mii costume was dropped to fool us into thinking we weren't getting a Tekken character. Resident Evil got a spirit event from out of nowhere for no reason, what I'm saying is that the same argument could be used in that the dev team dropped the spirit event to fool us considering how much Resident Evil was speculated about.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
My biggest hope for the last character is to actually be someone truly unexpected. Mostly because everyone brings up characters like Sora, Crash, Chief, etc all the time yet all of them think the likes of Phoenix Wright, Reimu, etc are impossible. I think that'd be a good sendoff to Smash.

That's probably why I liked Bayonetta in SSB4. Yeah, she got votes but nobody truly expected her to be the ballot pick given there were people very vocal on many characters which made it hard.

And why I enjoy Joker and Terry as DLC characters: Pre-reveal, you probably would have been lucky to get a discussion on them at best before they get drowned out by the common apparent frontrunners.

I like more unexpected characters like this. Though choices like Chief or Crash will still be fun to see, though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably that. Get Passes 1+2 togther.
AND Piranha Plant as well

as for the misc feature, I WILL LITERALLY PAY (NO MORE THAN $2 $5 USD BUT WILL STILL PAY) TO USE THE WOL POSSESSION/FULL BODY PUPPET EFFECTS OUTSIDE OF WOL I WANT IT THAT BADLY

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He’s not for good boys and girls. :secretkpop:

but no really, peak body horror. I’m sure CERO has something to say about that
Peak body horror?

Girl I can't stand body horror and I can stomach the 'ol T-Type just fine. I'd say the only thing he has to worry about is that the Final Smash probably can't be his final form like his Level 3 in UMvC3 since I actually do legitimately hate looking at that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also, how they gonna give us a Dante Swordfighter...and no Virgil Swordfighter?!
By making Vergil the final character.

Honestly, the more I think about this the happier I am for Dante, cause hey, people who tried to downplay him as a bandwagon got BTFO and next time will probably still have him as a frontrunner

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, with what we know now, it seems CP11 is going to take some time, especially with development going back to remote it seems. IMO, this gives us three scenarios.

Scenario 1: We get CP11 in a fall direct.
Scenario 2: We get CP 11 in a standalone presentation ala Byleth.
Scenario 3: CP11 at TGA

Given Sakurai's comments, I lean for one of the latter two, as I am doubting a September release. With that in mind, it really changes who CP11 could be. TGA would imply someone bigger, while the former two imply smaller. Thoughts?

MattX20

Smash Hero
The big takeaway from this presentation is that Capcom is still getting content even after all their Mii Costumes from 4 were exhausted, potentially meaning they could get the last spot in the roster. Phoenix Wright is the frontrunner after what happened to Dante (many condolences to people who wanted him).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, with what we know now, it seems CP11 is going to take some time, especially with development going back to remote it seems. IMO, this gives us three scenarios.

Scenario 1: We get CP11 in a fall direct.
Scenario 2: We get CP 11 in a standalone presentation ala Byleth.
Scenario 3: CP11 at TGA

Given Sakurai's comments, I lean for one of the latter two, as I am doubting a September release. With that in mind, it really changes who CP11 could be. TGA would imply someone bigger, while the former two imply smaller. Thoughts?
I just hope I don’t have to wait till December for the last one lmao

but yeah I otherwise agree. Earliest could be August and it’d HAVE to be someone lowkey if that’s the case

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
Dang, Agumon didn't even get a mii costume. Theres always the last mii wave, but I think it probably wont happen. At this point any Digimon content would be great in smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, the Miis looked amazing. Sure, it's a shame - it's always a shame as I felt when Heihachi and then Travis got deconfirmed - but for consolation prizes they're pretty damn cool.

I'm amazed that Ace Attorney still isn't in Smash, though. I won't pretend this means Phoenix is next, and honestly I have this weird feeling that they may have managed to figure out Resident Evil...but it's still strange. I hope we get AA content before the game is done.

Also, I'm so happy we have 39 Tekken songs!!! Only three from Tag 2, but one of them is Tulip Festival. Also we got the sheep stage from Tekken 6 this is the best day of my life

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Can we all agree that, in light of Super Smash Bros. x Dante and Super Smash Bros. x Dragonborn, M Theory was at least correct in asserting that M-rated series can't have their titles referenced in Smash?
Which I imagine will make things awkward if the very last character is M rated.

Joker managed to literally sneak into the DLC roster before that rule took place... Which is the most Joker thing I can think of, really.

SKX31

Smash Master
They actually included this track from Tekken 6

Also, I'm so happy we have 39 Tekken songs!!! Only three from Tag 2, but one of them is Tulip Festival. Also we got the sheep stage from Tekken 6 this is the best day of my life
Can't wait for EVO 2022 Grand Finals with this track. :roll:

Apparanrly the OP has left the site so it's never changing.

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT KAZUYA HAVING A REFLECT AND A MOVE THAT IGNORES SHIELDS?
On top of that, he has a Bowser style command grab, a down smash that breaks shields ala Sephiroth, and a Fox/Falco style recovery...

Sakurai said the character was struggling during the balance tests, but man they really went kinda crazy lmao
Don't forget a special throw from normal grab and tons of attacks that crumple / forces tech chases.

He'll be really ****ing scary.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Can we finally do away with the whole Deluxe Mii Costume/Special treatment argument now that Shantae is a regular mii costume with no Sans/Vaultboy bobblehead?

I've seen this term thrown around for over a year now as a way to devalue the likes of Mii Costumes such as Mega Man X or Geno as not as special as Cuphead or Bomberman when this couldn't be any further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is Mii Costumes are all valued at 75 cents and when Mii Costumes are made with a bobblehead, it is primarily due to the limitations of the Mii feature. (Good luck making a believable Cuphead face with the Mii creator)

Now Shantae is a Mii Costume with a song and no bobble head that comes. A song has come with every single Indie Character Mii Costume. The same cannot be said about Bomberman and Vault Boy. So as I stated earlier, there is no reason to act like characters such as Dante, Travis, X or Geno are not as important or less special than the others. It just comes down to additional gatekeeping and clout chasing and I'm not gonna be about that life.

Now for the record, the purpose of this post isn't to deride or mock anyone but I've been trying to make the case or deluxe mii costumes not being a thing since Sans' reveal. He'll you could consider Skull Kid a deluxe mii costume if all they need is a bobble head. So seeing Shantae get in has given me the last bit of evidence I needed to prove that something like the Bomberman isn't on another tier compared to the Geno or Chocobo mii. They are all great miis

At the end of the day, let's just enjoy our characters without trying to gatekeep or being an ass to one another. It's just good seeing the level of representation and we should just be supportive to one another.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
My biggest hope for the last character is to actually be someone truly unexpected. Mostly because everyone brings up characters like Sora, Crash, Chief, etc all the time yet all of them think the likes of Phoenix Wright, Reimu, etc are impossible. I think that'd be a good sendoff to Smash.

That's probably why I liked Bayonetta in SSB4. Yeah, she got votes but nobody truly expected her to be the ballot pick given there were people very vocal on many characters which made it hard.

And why I enjoy Joker and Terry as DLC characters: Pre-reveal, you probably would have been lucky to get a discussion on them at best before they get drowned out by the common apparent frontrunners.

I like more unexpected characters like this. Though choices like Chief or Crash will still be fun to see, though.
I do not know where you are coming from, because right now the only one of those three that you say are over discussed that gets entertained is Crash. Meanwhile, this thread alone has a Reimu discussion every two weeks at the maximum and Phoneix has been considered the Capcom frontrunner for a while over Dante, especially with people toning down their expectations for CP 11. Niche stuff in Smash is always welcome. Introducing people to Fatal Fury through smash honestly was very interesting to see. Honestly, something Niche might be very appealing to some people when we have three juggernaut dlc third parties in a row. But idk how you came to that conclusion when the main reason that people brought up the "big" characters was because we were heading into E3.

Also the ballot was almost certainly not why Bayo got in. Dev time on her started in April 2015. Ballot more likely was so they could understand what direction to go for Smash Ultimate.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Call me a fool but I think Resident Evil still has a shot. If Heihachi's Mii getting dropped earlier during the pass was done to trick us into thinking Tekken isn't getting a character then who's to say the Resident Evil spirit event isn't the same?
Thats where I'm at as well. Not expecting it but I wouldn't rule it out. Though that also means other spirit events are possible like a Pokemon or Ring Fit

Twilord

Smash Ace
Btw, I hoped next character is a non-human one.

I'm pretty much convinced we'll end on "Legendary Pokémon Trainer"

As if a million voices screamed in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If they couldn't be playable either way I'm glad they were costumes rather than having nothing at all though.
It was a bit mean of them to not show off the Crash Bandicoot Mii-Costume; dragging his fans along seems mean.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I get the sense our last fighter will be someone decently notable.

I can’t imagine Sakurai going on about that 10 year Cycle of Development, giving a speech about how theres only one fighter left, and revealing a bunch of fan favorites got the axe. All with full knowledge the final character is Boom Boom from the Mario series.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I do not know where you are coming from, because right now the only one of those three that you say are over discussed that gets entertained is Crash. Meanwhile, this thread alone has a Reimu discussion every two weeks at the maximum and Phoneix has been considered the Capcom frontrunner for a while over Dante, especially with people toning down their expectations for CP 11. Niche stuff in Smash is always welcome. Introducing people to Fatal Fury through smash honestly was very interesting to see. Honestly, something Niche might be very appealing to some people when we have three juggernaut dlc third parties in a row. But idk how you came to that conclusion when the main reason that people brought up the "big" characters was because we were heading into E3.

Also the ballot was almost certainly not why Bayo got in. Dev time on her started in April 2015. Ballot more likely was so they could understand what direction to go for Smash Ultimate.
I'm used to getting blasted and yelled at in other places for merely bringing up more niche characters in Smash. It's always to the point I assume it'll happen anywhere, even over my year posting here as a precautionary thing so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom