• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I didn't get much of a response the last time I posted this, but how would you feel about this hypothetical pass? (ignoring the price, i know some wise guy's gonna bring it up).

The whole point of this pass is to have as much diversity as possible. Every character here comes from a different genre, has a very different artstyle, and made their debut on a different system. Some of them are big names in the smash scene, others are from far in left field.
Solaire is whatever but it's a good selection overall. I'd be super excited for 3 at most but I can't complain about any of the choices.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I just checked the Smash Bros website and there's a new update labeled as 2141. The latest update item was 2130, so they're skipping items again. If everything is as usual and there's nothing like a Sephiroth Challenge or special Spirit Events like what we got with Persona 5 Strikers or GnG, it'll mean that we'll get something like this:
2131 Version 12.0.0 Coming Soon
2132 Software update available: Ver. 12.0.0
2133 Kazuya Challenger Pack Available for Purchase
2134 Fighters Pass Vol. 2 available for purchase! (Content update ⑤)
2135 Mii Costume 1
2136 Mii Costume 2
2137 Mii Costume 3
2138 Mii Costume 4
2139 Mii Costume 5
2140 Mii Costume 6
2141 Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members
Mii Costume predictions:
Jin
King
Mokujin
Lloyd
Klonoa
Imposter

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Today in 1991, "Sonic the Hedgehog" is released in North America !! Needless to say, a high-speed action title that represents Sega. In fact, Sonic's first appearance was as the mascot of the racing game "Rad Mobile". It was hanging in the rearview mirror. #Smash Bros SP

Paraster

Smash Lord
I didn't get much of a response the last time I posted this, but how would you feel about this hypothetical pass? (ignoring the price, i know some wise guy's gonna bring it up).

The whole point of this pass is to have as much diversity as possible. Every character here comes from a different genre, has a very different artstyle, and made their debut on a different system. Some of them are big names in the smash scene, others are from far in left field.
Sol Badguy: Eh
Rayman: Sure.
Solaire: Eh
Officer Howard: Sure.
Maxwell: Yeah!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Today in 1991, "Sonic the Hedgehog" is released in North America !! Needless to say, a high-speed action title that represents Sega. In fact, Sonic's first appearance was as the mascot of the racing game "Rad Mobile". It was hanging in the rearview mirror. #Smash Bros SP
Something interesting regarding this particular POTD, it was accidentally posted on May 27, alongside the anniversary pics for a couple other games. (Dragon Quest, Sonic 3, Metroid Zero Mission, and Mario Galaxy 2 specifically)
The games mentioned in the parentheses actually were true anniversaries, while Sonic 1 showed up to the party early!

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice

I would love a Dark Souls character but Solaire is a pretty meme-ish pick.

Sol seems pretty cool and I enjoyed the two most recent Rayman games even though I have no real love for the character. Overall this would be the weakest pass for me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That would explain why Tails isn’t there, but what about Shadow?
Thinking about it, there are circumstances around the 4 that might explain why they aren't there

-Shadow is a Spirit Board only Spirits, and while they can be featured in Spirit events (as Wario Man, who's Spirit board Exclusive, headlined an event), they may not be prioritized

-Tails is Summonable only, and apparently those aren't priortized

-Knuckles doesn't have Spirit Battle

-Eggman is WOL only Spirit, which have never been featured in Spirit events

Funny how it works like that.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Up to 100, in no order:

82. Adol (Ys)
83. Sakura (Sakura Wars)
84. Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
85. Dixie (Donkey Kong)
86. Captain Commando
87. X (Mega Man X)
88. Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
89. Miriam (Bloodstained)
90. Alm & Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
91. Kyo (King of Fighters)
92. Crash Bandicoot
93. Cinderace (Pokemon)
94. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
95. Siegfried (Soulcalibur)
96. Agnès (Bravely Default)
97. Isaac (Golden Sun)
98. Jin (Tekken)
99. Tifa (Final Fantasy VII)
100. Alucard (Castlevania)
Thinking about it, there are circumstances around the 4 that might explain why they aren't there

-Shadow is a Spirit Board only Spirits, and while they can be featured in Spirit events (as Wario Man, who's Spirit board Exclusive, headlined an event), they may not be prioritized

-Tails is Summonable only, and apparently those aren't priortized

-Knuckles doesn't have Spirit Battle

-Eggman is WOL only Spirit, which have never been featured in Spirit events

Funny how it works like that.
Isn't Tails on the final map in WoL (right side, right before Solgaleo/Mythra/Palutena/Master Hand)? You fight Fox with a Knuckles assist trophy.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Just Noticed Something.
At 1:24 seconds in the video Kazuya transforms into his Devil appearance despite not activating a move or double Jumping, as if hes powered up after filling a meter or something. This is at odds with the idea Devil Form is aesthetic and Kazuya always has access to it. Instead it implies that he gains Devil form and Devil moves from some sort of mechanic.

That idea however is at odds with his Tekken Rage ability, which is a comeback mechanic from Tekken but seems to carry over to Smash. Meaning Devil Form would have to be gotten some other way than being beaten up as otherwise it’d give Kazuya 2 Comeback mechanics.

Perhaps Devil Form is gotten from beating up the opponents rather than being beaten up by the opponents? That also seems to be implied as Kazuya’s cinematic shows him getting Devil Form after he Lion Kings three fighters.

Or, Kazuyas Devil Transformation at 1:25 is simply a taunt. Meaning Devils Form is aesthetic and Kazuya doesn’t have three gimmicks.

In conclusion, my head hurts.:4pacman:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just Noticed Something.
At 1:24 seconds in the video Kazuya transforms into his Devil appearance despite not activating a move or double Jumping, as if hes powered up after filling a meter or something. This is at odds with the idea Devil Form is aesthetic and Kazuya always has access to it. Instead it implies that he gains Devil form and Devil moves from some sort of mechanic.

That idea however is at odds with his Tekken Rage ability, which is a comeback mechanic from Tekken but seems to carry over to Smash. Meaning Devil Form would have to be gotten some other way than being beaten up as otherwise it’d give Kazuya 2 Comeback mechanics.

Perhaps Devil Form is gotten from beating up the opponents rather than being beaten up by the opponents? That also seems to be implied as Kazuya’s cinematic shows him getting Devil Form after he Lion Kings three fighters.

Or, Kazuyas Devil Transformation at 1:25 is simply a taunt. Meaning Devils Form is aesthetic and Kazuya doesn’t have three gimmicks.

Hmm... Seems like a taunt to me, seeing as he just poses and turns back without doing anything.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

tbh I think it might possibly be a snowball mechanic which would be pretty cool because that’s never been done before iirc

IF it is just a taunt I hope he does that freaky demonic screech he does in the trailer

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
tbh I think it might possibly be a snowball mechanic which would be pretty cool because that’s never been done before iirc

IF it is just a taunt I hope he does that freaky demonic screech he does in the trailer
Ehhhhhh a mechanic that allows you to snowball is a very out of character thing for Sakurai to do as the dude wants to even out the playing field with comeback mechanics, the closest there already is OWA but only if Sephiroth's significantly behind that moment. All signs point to Devil being purely cosmetic

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
. All signs point to Devil being purely cosmetic
kazuya incrementally starts glowing more purple after every fighter he throws in the volcano

with the immediate atmosphere shift and how they didn’t show any devil moves before that scene, I think there’s a big chance it’s a dlc bull**** mode

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
kazuya incrementally starts glowing more purple after every fighter he throws in the volcano

with the immediate atmosphere shift and how they didn’t show any devil moves before that scene, I think there’s a big chance it’s a dlc bull**** mode
We also don't see him perform a double jump or up throw or anything until after that scene in the trailer, which we know for a fact turns him into Devil solely for that action and turns him back instantly. Rage is his DLC mechanic. As for the purple glow in the CG, it's likely solely done for the sake of making Kazuya look more interesting in the cinematic, like how Byleth can't actually fly despite their trailer showing off the hit game from everyone's childhood
download (5).jpeg

EDIT: Byleth specifically also helps my argument as they didn't use other Hero Relics until after their got clapped up yet that's not a comeback mechanic either as Byleth has no gimmicks

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Up to 100, in no order:

82. Adol (Ys)
83. Sakura (Sakura Wars)
84. Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
85. Dixie (Donkey Kong)
86. Captain Commando
87. X (Mega Man X)
88. Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
89. Miriam (Bloodstained)
90. Alm & Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
91. Kyo (King of Fighters)
92. Crash Bandicoot
93. Cinderace (Pokemon)
94. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
95. Siegfried (Soulcalibur)
96. Agnès (Bravely Default)
97. Isaac (Golden Sun)
98. Jin (Tekken)
99. Tifa (Final Fantasy VII)
100. Alucard (Castlevania)

Isn't Tails on the final map in WoL (right side, right before Solgaleo/Mythra/Palutena/Master Hand)? You fight Fox with a Knuckles assist trophy.
Oh yeah you’re right, I checked if he was summonable and neglected to check if he was available elsewhere, sorry about that. I’m not sure what that means in this situation though.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
We also don't see him perform a double jump or up throw or anything until after that scene in the trailer, which we know for a fact turns him into Devil solely for that action and turns him back instantly. Rage is his DLC mechanic. As for the purple glow in the CG, it's likely solely done for the sake of making Kazuya look more interesting in the cinematic, like how Byleth can't actually fly despite their trailer showing off the hit game from everyone's childhoodView attachment 320325

EDIT: Byleth specifically also helps my argument as they didn't use other Hero Relics until after their got clapped up yet that's not a comeback mechanic either as Byleth has no gimmicks
Byleth's gimmick is making the fanbase mad while I relish in the salt.
1624426074104.png

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
An interesting thing to note is how much of a spotlight Kazuyas devil form is given. Being built up by the CGI and getting a decent portion of the gameplay dedicated to showing it off. This would be a weird thing to do for an aesthetic, especially since we know Kazuya for sure has a comeback mechanic the team could have highlighted instead.

I’m conflicted, on one hand. Devils form really does just look like an aesthetic to make Kazuya a little more interesting and impactful visually. It’d be weird to give Kazuya two power up mechanics as well.

On the other hand, the way Devils form is built up and the idea of the Devils Form in general conveys the idea to me that it should be a mechanic.

I guess we’ll see soon. Kazuya really is something else. Can’t wait for this CP.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Byleth's gimmick is making the fanbase mad while I relish in the salt.
View attachment 320326
Tbf that's a universal mechanic.

Actually, now that I think about it, Joker should have been handled similarly to how Kazuya goes in and out of Devil, like, down B would be to activate Arsene in which the meter drains but you can hit down B again to stop it. I think this would have been more interesting as it means Joker will have to manage meter and healthier as it means no Tetrakarn which feels like a ****ing screen nuke

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
  • Kinda funny that Metal Gear's logo is the only one in the series to have changed.
Technically several veteran franchises had their series symbols altered during Brawl, most notably Mario, Metroid, and Pokemon to be more detailed then what they used to be.

But yeah, Metal Gear was the only one that completely changed to something else entirely.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Two more Anniversary POTDs.

NINTENDO 64 released today in 1996 !!
At the same time, "Super Mario 64" will be released.
"Super Mario", which became the cornerstone of 2D action, has also become the cornerstone of 3D games. Historical work.
Specifications compatible with analog sticks. The Jugem camera, a method that makes you aware of the position of the camera, is really wonderful !! #Smash Bros SP

2001 "SONIC ADVENTURE 2" released today !!
Shadow the Hedgehog's first appearance.
This design balance is good. No wonder it's popular.
In Smash Bros., Assist to slow down the opponent with chaos control. In Smash Bros. SP, the time is completely stopped at the end. #Smash Bros SP

Shroob

Sup?

"Super Mario", which became the cornerstone of 2D action, has also become the cornerstone of 3D games. Historical work.
Specifications compatible with analog sticks. The Jugem camera, a method that makes you aware of the position of the camera, is really wonderful !! #Smash Bros SP

In Smash Bros., Assist to slow down the opponent with chaos control. In Smash Bros. SP, the time is completely stopped at the end. #Smash Bros SP
7nator is typing how this means Shadow is in....

jk dude, you keep being you, your commitment is endearing, if nothing else.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I’ll take anything from Killer Instinct at this point.

I never really understood why there isn’t more support for RARE in general within the Smash community. I grew up being a huge Nintendo fan since the NES and RARE was a big part of that. For a long time, RARE was synonymous with Nintendo and many of the best games on the SNES and N64 were developed by them. Killer Instinct was basically the Nintendo fighting game. Same goes for GoldenEye and Perfect Dark being Nintendo’s FPS games. It’s a little surprising seeing how much more support Master Chief gets despite never appearing on a Nintendo console.
Could be they never really played many fighting games. Which is a shame, cause Fulgore would have been even better than Banjo. And who wouldn't want I'm Back(To Rise) in this game?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

It looks like Shadow's about to ****ing deck Sonic's face for making a bad joke

7NATOR

Smash Master

I didn't realize both Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure 2 came out in the same day, just different years. I also think this SA2 picture is a reference to that one picture the President had of Sonic and Shadow in front of the White House (In Shadow the Hedgehog), since New Donk city is the stage here

In any case, This was the main reason that I thought Shadow had to be revealed at E3, because the Anniversary post would have been today, So if Shadow was playable, they reveal him first before the anniversary

In any case, I'm not gonna give up hope now. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got an Anniversary pic months before Pyra/Mythra were revealed, and while Rex wasn't playable, he got an official model that wasn't the Rex Mii Costume after the Anniversary pic showed the Mii Costume. I actually was one of the people that thought the anniversary pic meant no Xenoblade 2 character, but I was wrong, and if it applies there, it might apply here with SA2

So I guess hypothetically, it would be a similar situation now, though to be honest, a part of me has to ask. if another Sonic character was in the pass, revealing them around E3 would have been the perfect time, as you could time the Anniversary stuff better with the Sonic character already revealed?

I'm guessing because Sonic has it's biggest audience on Nintendo, compared to Tekken where the biggest audiences are on everything but Nintendo, revealing Kazuya at an event that more Non Nintendo people will pay attention makes more sense in terms of grabbing attention, where another Sonic character will have it's biggest audience already watching during Regular directs. Plus Sonic is a franchise already in the game, compared to Tekken which is new. Sonic Colors Ultimate is also coming out around the time of hypothetical Fall direct (which we likely to see CP11)

The Spirit event contents were revealed, and there are no New Sonic Spirits, and Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles are missing, however their spirits are in special circumstances that explain why they are missing, but the important part is that there are no new Sonic Spirits

[event=] Happy 30th, Sonic! - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (nintendo.net)[/event]
[event=] So even with the Anniversary pics, and the Spirit event, I'm still on board with Shadow being in FP2. I'm not throwing in the towel.[/event]

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Given the anniversaries, time to choose a side.

Pumpkin Hill or Bom-Omb Battlefield?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Guess its between Arle and a SMT rep for a Sega character at this point. Rest in pepperoni Sonic rep.
so here's how Opa-Opa can still win-

Oh hey, Sakurai mentioning Rad Mobile! That's neat!

It's pretty whatever in the grand scope of SEGA racers but the music is good

Twilord

Smash Ace
In terms of Mii Costumes...

If we get a Bandai side character do you think it would be Mametchi or Omnimon?

I could see Sakurai going with the original V-Pet, in part because if there are future Smash Bros games "the first ever Pokémon X Digimon crossover" doesn't seem like the type of thing that should be done using a Mii Costume.

I mean if Sonic hadn't been in Smash yet and Sonic & Mario At The Olympics didn't exist - even if Sonic got passed over for Yakuza, Persona, and Bayonetta because it's fallen from grace so hard - it doesn't seem to me like they would put Sonic as a Mii Costume and dilute the inevitable future first crossover.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm okay with Mega Man's symbol for the same reason I'm okay with the Super Mario symbol being the Super Mushroom. It might not be pulled from a logo or anything but it's an item from the game that any Smash player will recognize as being THAT series. Which the Tekken and Arms fists don't really do since other games have fists.

Also now it doesn't make sense because we have major Xenoblade Chronicles 2 content, which uses a totally different sword. Unfortunately I have no idea what symbol could replace the cut-off Monado, though. There's really very little overlap between the two games in terms of common important icons. The X would be a bit basic but I guess it would allude to the entire Xeno series?
Easy, the Conduit as it's important in both games (though you only see it in XC2).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In terms of Mii Costumes...

If we get a Bandai side character do you think it would be Mametchi or Omnimon?

I could see Sakurai going with the original V-Pet, in part because if there are future Smash Bros games "the first ever Pokémon X Digimon crossover" doesn't seem like the type of thing that should be done using a Mii Costume.

I mean if Sonic hadn't been in Smash yet and Sonic & Mario At The Olympics didn't exist - even if Sonic got passed over for Yakuza, Persona, and Bayonetta because it's fallen from grace so hard - it doesn't seem to me like they would put Sonic as a Mii Costume and dilute the inevitable future first crossover.
I mean, if Sonic couldn't be playable, at least a Mii costume is something to start with.

While I get what you mean, the MIi Costumes are meant to be stuff for the fans. I won't deny some costumes are worse than others design-wise, but the purpose behind them is to give series some kind of love.

Keep in mind the speculation here is more the minority of the fanbase. Not that all will be pleased, but we're not the general demographic. The basic casual fanbase(who don't really take these things seriously) are what the game generally caters to. Albeit, it's designed to give all fans some love, not that you can actually please everyone, cause that's impossible.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I mean, if Sonic couldn't be playable, at least a Mii costume is something to start with.

While I get what you mean, the MIi Costumes are meant to be stuff for the fans. I won't deny some costumes are worse than others design-wise, but the purpose behind them is to give series some kind of love.

Keep in mind the speculation here is more the minority of the fanbase. Not that all will be pleased, but we're not the general demographic. The basic casual fanbase(who don't really take these things seriously) are what the game generally caters to. Albeit, it's designed to give all fans some love, not that you can actually please everyone, cause that's impossible.

You're right that it would be "something" for the fans - personally I'd be happy to see it cause I still win a bet then (someone volunteered a forfeit because they thought my theory was that dumb); but my concern was more that for some franchises getting into Smash Bros would be such a historic moment for them that it would be unfortunate for the history books to record - for example - that the first time Mario crossed over with Sonic was via a Sonic The Hedgehog skin.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Mii outfits are often based. Especially when there's some actual care put into them, as with most Deluxe Mii outfits. Imagine how different the reaction to Sans would have been if his face was compressed into a helmet.

P.S. That post last night was dumb as hell. Sorry, I was tired and didn't mean to imply a correlation between that incident and Isabelle's reception as a character - though I clearly did. Again, tired and rambling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom