• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The background colours seem to be (roughly) mirrored between FP1 (and Piranha Plant) and FP2

Piranha Plant and Pyra/Mythra: green
Joker and Kazuya: red
Hero and ???: purple
Banjo and Min Min: yellow
Terry and Steve: blue
Byleth and Sephiroth: a different shade of green

Though it's almost definitely a coincidence, and the final character could wind up having an orange, brown, blue, etc. background. We have a tendency to see patterns everywhere.
You all keep saying Sephiroth's background as green, but like... I'm not sure if my eyes are different but that's hella grey to me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The background colours seem to be (roughly) mirrored between FP1 (and Piranha Plant) and FP2

Piranha Plant and Pyra/Mythra: green
Joker and Kazuya: red
Hero and ???: purple
Banjo and Min Min: yellow
Terry and Steve: blue
Byleth and Sephiroth: a different shade of green

Though it's almost definitely a coincidence, and the final character could wind up having an orange, brown, blue, etc. background. We have a tendency to see patterns everywhere.
Alright thanks. That is interesting even if it is probably just a coincidence.

As far as purple characters go, do you guys think Illidan or Gengar have any chance? Illidan is from one of the most influential game franchises ever (Warcraft) and Gengar is among the very most popular Pokémon ever. Both are among my very most wanted characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It looks like a dull/grayish green (or a greenish gray?) to me, though it seems like a matter of perspective.
Maybe there's a hint of teal in it? It's extremely subtle, and dominated by the dark gray.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since characters nowadays are designed to focus on each character's established quirks/fighting styles, I wonder how they would handle Shovel Knight. His signature move is essentially Link's Down Aerial, but better, which is all well and good, but it doesn't really lend itself to an entire moveset, and his relics don't really interact with it either.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Alright thanks. That is interesting even if it is probably just a coincidence.

As far as purple characters go, do you guys think Illidan or Gengar have any chance? Illidan is from one of the most influential game franchises ever (Warcraft) and Gengar is among the very most popular Pokémon ever. Both are among my very most wanted characters.
Maybe Gengar might have a chance if it somehow has an important role in Legends Arceus (and if Ninty, Game Freak, and the Pokemon Company told Sakurai about it)? :drshrug:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I totally forgot about this!

"Sakurai doesn't ever give hints through pics" confirmed bs?
I think the whole point is that not everything he does is a hint. He rarely wants to give hints, but it does happen once in a while. During the Presentation for Byleth, he made some hints for Three Houses by saying three in binary using his hand.

...For the most part, it's BS, though. But it doesn't mean he won't ever do so. Just that people think everything is a hint, which tends to annoy him since he can't even talk about his favorite games anymore without people taking it the wrong way.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Haven’t really gotten around to giving my thoughts on Kazuya :ultkazuya:

So here I go:

At some point I was expecting a Tekken character, however Kazuya is a VERY interesting choice. He trails behind Heihachi and Jin in terms of popularity by a long shot. He lost his main character status from 1 & 2 up to Tekken 6. And he’s overall a rather complex character on the roster of Tekken.

I would’ve preferred Heihachi since that is my favorite TK character, or even Jin since I like his design a lot more than Kazuya’s, but overall I’m just really happy to see a TK character added and I’m pretty damn excited to see what Sakurai does to adapt such a complex moveset.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think the whole point is that not everything he does is a hint. He rarely wants to give hints, but it does happen once in a while. During the Presentation for Byleth, he made some hints for Three Houses by saying three in binary using his hand.

...For the most part, it's BS, though. But it doesn't mean he won't ever do so. Just that people think everything is a hint, which tends to annoy him since he can't even talk about his favorite games anymore without people taking it the wrong way.
Yea I get that completely. There are just some people that contend he NEVER gives hints of any sort, especially when it comes to the PoTDs.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if we exclude Sephiroth from the analysis over the background color, that's still 4 out of 5 characters that match. That, and with the Lloyd Mii costume basically guaranteed to return alongside Kazuya, we don't have much else to go on for clues for speculation beyond the music test menu's last empty space and these color backgrounds unless a spirit event or two has additional deconfirmations.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, I've seen someone theorize that the Shield and Grab buttons, for Kaz, will be turned into extra attack buttons (to emulate the Tekken limb system), and relegate grabs and shields to a combination of two buttons for each of them.
Seems more likely that kicks will be set to B while punches are set to A. Not sure obviously but the whole meta of Smash being uplifted like what you suggested doesn’t seem super likely.

Edit: Min Min has already done something similar to what I suggested.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I totally forgot about this!

"Sakurai doesn't ever give hints through pics" confirmed bs?
It's a Mishima family tradition. It's not really a hint. It's more two nerds geeking out.

It was 17. Also worth noting that Three Houses isn't the JP title for FE Three Houses. Even if someone galaxy brained and figured out that it was binary, most people would consider Three houses to be the 16th Fire Emblem game since Sakurai counted Heroes as a main FE game while most would not. I don't think this particular thing was a hint, it just ended up a coincidence.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Seems more likely that kicks will be set to B while punches are set to A. Not sure obviously but the whole meta of Smash being uplifted like that doesn’t seem super likely.
Maybe; then again, Kazuya did take a long time to complete and didn't even leave enough progress on CP11 to show it off alongside him, leaving a potential sign of just how complex he (and CP11 possibly) is.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
It's a Mishima family tradition. It's not really a hint. It's more two nerds geeking out.

It was 17. Also worth noting that Three Houses isn't the JP title for FE Three Houses. Even if someone galaxy brained and figured out that it was binary, most people would consider Three houses to be the 16th Fire Emblem game since Sakurai counted Heroes as a main FE game while most would not. I don't think this particular thing was a hint, it just ended up a coincidence.
I mean, you may be right, but I think it's debatable that it wasn't a hint. Especially since Kazuya's trailer was a direct reference to the ahem honored tradition.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
A big part of discussion has been whether certain factors "count as deconfirmations" or not...

We're now at the third character slot in FP2 that breaks what was the apparent "mascot first" rule, and in every one of those cases the mascot that was taken for granted as front-runner already had secondary representation in gameplay. I think it's a partial coincidence, but not an absolute one.

Sakurai did say that Rex was considered and attempted for playable. He never said that Spring Man was excluded from consideration due to being an assist trophy, but he also never said that he was on the table. I think when the presentation comes he'll say that he wanted to represent Tekken 1 as the foundation of the series, without explicitly saying that Heihachi was excluded for being a Mii costume.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Hmm... Morrigan and Nights could warrant looking into as far as characters besides Shantae that could work/be displayed with a purple background are concerned. As cool as Spyro would be, he would be sadly overshadowed by Crash in terms of demand. Also, you referring to the Dead or Alive Ayane or someone else?
Yes, Ayane from Dead or Alive, she has purple hair:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So is the green color theory basically dead in favor of the purple one? Some of my most wanted characters could fit either one.

Green:
Battletoads
Sarah Kerrigan

Purple:
Gengar
Golisopod
Jena Anderson

Both:
Illidan Stormrage
Medusa

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean, you may be right, but I think it's debatable that it wasn't a hint. Especially since Kazuya's trailer was a direct reference to the ahem honored tradition.
But like... That's a very Sakurai thing to do? Sakurai literally killed Geese in Terry's trailer in a similar memetic fashion as a reference to FF/KoF. Mishima's tossing people off cliffs kinda go hand in hand.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
But like... That's a very Sakurai thing to do? Sakurai literally killed Geese in Terry's trailer in a similar memetic fashion as a reference to FF/KoF. Mishima's tossing people off cliffs kinda go hand in hand.
Sure, I just think it's possible the pic was a reference for what was to come.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
For some characters that suits the purple colour I could think of are

Gordeau, Phonon or Yuzuriha- Under Night in Birth
Juri- Street Fighter
Haunter- Pokemon
Nine- Blazblue
Patchouli- Touhou

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
How could Jin be an echo of Kazuya?
Unless they pull a Simon-Richter, don’t they have some different moves?

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
edit: I don't rly think the color theory is true, only one I could see happening would be Waluigi, or maybe Octoling

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How could Jin be an echo of Kazuya?
Unless they pull a Simon-Richter, don’t they have some different moves?
How similarly do Jin and Kazuya play in Tekken? If they are as close as Ryu and Ken, I could totally see a Jin echo happening in the next game. That would be cool.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I have some ideas for the color purple:
  • Allie from Phantasy Star (also fits that Twitter theory about the byleth-pack 11 parallel of “disappointing sword user”)
  • Rayman
  • Spyro (would be a tad bit shocked if they picked him and not crash tho)
  • Waluigi
  • Toxtricity
  • Ahri AND / OR Pyke from League of Legends (edit : just Ahri)
  • Blaze the Hedgehog (edit : Cat)
Yep

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
  • Allie from Phantasy Star (also fits that Twitter theory about the byleth-pack 11 parallel of “disappointing sword user”)
  • Rayman
  • Waluigi
  • Toxtricity
  • Ahri AND / OR Pyke from League of Legends
  • Blaze the Hedgehog
Yep
??????

I seriously don't get this. Neither of those characters have anything to do with purple.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
  • Rayman
  • Waluigi
  • Toxtricity
  • Ahri AND / OR Pyke from League of Legends
  • Blaze the Hedgehog
Yep
I don’t know how I forgot Toxtricity. It’s my second favorite gen 8 Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom