• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Waluigi wasn't already an AT
Yeah, an old AT recycled from 4 with hints that he made his AT debut in Brawl.
That, and the empty spot left in the music test menu after Tekken takes one of the remaining 2 spots implies a new IP that hasn't had a playable character repping it yet
They don't pick who's from an unrepped and repped series based on how to make the music test menu a perfect rectangle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ahri?

Ahri's main colors are pink, blue, red and white, not Purple. She only has purple associated with her in skins.
she wouldn't blend in against purple tho. it looks best when they pop and don't blend in

she would against pink, red and white tho. look at poor Luminary and his lavender

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
she wouldn't blend in against purple tho

she would against pink, red and white tho. look at poor Luminary and his lavender
?

But Ahri has zero association with the color purple. The question being proposed was "Maybe CP11 has something to do with purple."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still think an Astral Chain rep has a really good chance (I need to play this game too, I heard it was great).

I know we already got a spirit event, but that was likely before Nintendo fully acquired the rights to the series which we didn't find out about until earlier this year.

I think they could have a really interesting moveset. The kind of moveset that Sakurai loves to get creative with.
Astral Chain was still first-party before, it was just co-owned by Platinum. But a lot of Nintendo's IPs are co-owned, and Platinum is clearly pretty cooperative when it comes to Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So y'know all the discussion around the "Graze" glitch and hitboxes and Kazuya's crouch dash?

Well, Tekken has a dedicated mechanic for that
More than anything it's just an interesting little tidbit to read about, but at least we know where it might have gone

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Astral Chain was still first-party before, it was just co-owned by Platinum. But a lot of Nintendo's IPs are co-owned, and Platinum is clearly pretty cooperative when it comes to Smash.
Hm... interesting. I did not know it was always first-party. That makes me feel a little less confident.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Lets review again the 20 best selling japanese IPs, excluding the one that were not originated in videogames (like Dragon Ball):

1) Final Fantasy
2) Sonic the Hedgehog
3) Resident Evil*
4) Dragon Quest
5) Monster Hunter*
6) Metal Gear
7) Tekken
8) Street Fighter
9) Pac-Man
10) Mega Man

11) Kingdom Hearts
12) Souls
13) Power Pros
14) Devil May Cry
15) Castlevania
16) Frogger
17) Simple
18) Tales
19) Megami Tensei (includes Persona)
20) Professor Layton
that list really makes Capcom's absence from DLC even stranger, with Mii costumes not disconfirming franchise's at least I think DMC, RE, MH (Maybe) and AA have pretty good chances going forward.

(btw you missed PES on that list but i doubt it, power pros, kingdom hearts, simple or professor layton have much of a chance anyway)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Rayman's one of those characters who, while I'm really not confident at all about getting in

If he did, that'd really just re-affirm "Yeah, Pass 2 is passed over content, the pass", imo.

Especially now since Ubisoft's back on the table due to Kazuya, it wouldn't be impossible, though I have my doubts.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
When looking at the first fighter pass and the second one, the colors for the characters backgrounds match up fairly closely. It makes you wonder if the last fighter will also have a purple background or something akin to it. View attachment 319635
I don't think this necessarily means the next character has to have a purple background.

That being said, I've been thinking, and Phantasy Star makes a lot of sense to get into Smash. With how popular it is in Japan, and how influential and innovative the series has been (especially PSO), it would make sense for Nintendo to pick the series for Smash.

And Alis, the protagonist of the first game, does have purple in her uniform...

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis also just released, and is on Nintendo Switch. She would make a lot of sense to be a part of Vol. 2.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Too many of these characters feel "DLC" for me to be thinking it's all just old base-game ideas. All the crazy **** a lot of them have. The only one that doesn't feel "DLC" is the one whose inclusion sucks. Even Banjo & Kazooie have their wonderwing.
Oh, and Piranha Plant, but they're more like an honorary base-game fighter anyhow.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really liked Astral Chain and I’d be more than happy if a character from it got in. I’m in the extreme minority in that I’d actually prefer Jena Anderson to Akira Howard but they would both be cool. I think they’re a pretty safe bet if we get a Smash 6, especially if it just builds upon Ultimate. As far as DLC, I’m not expecting it but you can never really know for sure.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's almost certainly no bonus fighter as things stand, but if there is one (there's not), it's Master Hand.
But seriously, Mr. Sakurai has very clearly spelled it out for us that this is it; he very rarely is as clear about anything as he has been regarding this.
Or a promoted assist like Waluigi, Issac, or Shadow.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't think this necessarily means the next character has to have a purple background.

That being said, I've been thinking, and Phantasy Star makes a lot of sense to get into Smash. With how popular it is in Japan, and how influential and innovative the series has been (especially PSO), it would make sense for Nintendo to pick the series for Smash.

And Alis, the protagonist of the first game, does have purple in her uniform...

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis also just released, and is on Nintendo Switch. She would make a lot of sense to be a part of Vol. 2.
Yeah, I still think Phantasy Star has a good chance, because of it's connection with Sakurai. Will it happen? Have to wait and see.

That said, there is another character besides Alis with a big focus of purple on her. Although that character is also borderline NSFW design-wise.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Rayman's one of those characters who, while I'm really not confident at all about getting in

If he did, that'd really just re-affirm "Yeah, Pass 2 is passed over content, the pass", imo.

Especially now since Ubisoft's back on the table due to Kazuya, it wouldn't be impossible, though I have my doubts.
I think it'll be pretty significant when we get a playable character from a Western IP that isn't an honorary Nintendo character or from the highest selling video game of all time...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve got a character that fits both the green background color theory and is purple:

1623892117554.png

If the character just has to be purple in general, just take a look at my username and avatar.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm confused. Steve is from one of the highest selling video games of all time. I'm not sure what you're saying.
Brother AJ pointed out the Western IP we have either has strong Nintendo connections (Banjo-Kazooie) or has Minecraft level sales (Minecraft).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's the fact to Nintendo and Microsoft as of recent has a very close relationship. Most likely why we even got two actual western characters into the game to begin with.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Disappointed, but not surprised.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Lets review again the 20 best selling japanese IPs, excluding the one that were not originated in videogames (like Dragon Ball):

1) Final Fantasy
2) Sonic the Hedgehog
3) Resident Evil*
4) Dragon Quest
5) Monster Hunter*
6) Metal Gear
7) Tekken
8) Street Fighter
9) Pac-Man
10) Mega Man

11) Kingdom Hearts
12) Souls
13) Power Pros
14) Devil May Cry
15) Castlevania
16) Frogger
17) Simple
18) Tales
19) Megami Tensei (includes Persona)
20) Professor Layton

In bold are the IPs with representation in smash, and with * there are those who don’t have a playable character. As you can see, Tekken is the best selling (japanese) fighting IP worldwide. So I think it makes somewhat sense to include it in smash.

Spyro
Rayman
Shantae
Nights
Ayane
Morrigan
Hmm... Morrigan and Nights could warrant looking into as far as characters besides Shantae that could work/be displayed with a purple background are concerned. As cool as Spyro would be, he would be sadly overshadowed by Crash in terms of demand. Also, you referring to the Dead or Alive Ayane or someone else?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Brother AJ pointed out the Western IP we have either has strong Nintendo connections (Banjo-Kazooie) or has Minecraft level sales (Minecraft).
I think there's some confusion with the wording. Brother AJ said " I think it'll be pretty significant when we get a playable character from a Western IP that isn't an honorary Nintendo character or from the highest selling video game of all time... " It seems like he meant "it'll be significant when we get a Western playable character that isn't Banjo or Steve" (since one's an honourary Nintendo character and the other's from the best-selling video game of all time), but Shroob seemed to interpret that last part as "it'll be significant when we get a Western playable character that [...] [is] from the highest selling video game of all time"

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I thought the current theory was a green background. What is this about purple now?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lets review again the 20 best selling japanese IPs, excluding the one that were not originated in videogames (like Dragon Ball)
I don’t mean to be that guy, but I’m pretty well informed on Sega’s sales figures and as far as I’m aware Puyo Puyo’s 25 million+ in sales (and apparently this number doesn’t even account for the sales numbers back when Sega didn’t own the series in the 90s) should put it on this list above at least Megami Tensei. Or maybe about equal at this point?

I don’t think that’s documented on the Wikipedia page of best selling game franchises but it is on an official Sega document (Page 32) and recorded on Puyo’s own page. With that in mind there are probably a few key franchises absent here.

Sorry for the tangent, just here to spread the good word. 🙂

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I probably should've been more clear. I think it'll be pretty significant when we get a Western character that isn't like Banjo and Kazooie (honorary Nintendo character) or Steve (from the highest selling video game of all time).
I thought that's what you meant. I know little of Tekken or Bandai-Namco. Is it a Western or Japanese developer?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Disappointed, but not surprised.

Has there even been a moment where the scalpers' efforts went south fast? Like digital Special Editions after selling the physical Special Editions?

Yeah, companies wouldn't care in the first place if the Special Editions are taken by scalpers in the first place, but man, sometimes you just want to see the scums' efforts backfire.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I thought the current theory was a green background. What is this about purple now?
The background colours seem to be (roughly) mirrored between FP1 (and Piranha Plant) and FP2

Piranha Plant and Pyra/Mythra: green
Joker and Kazuya: red
Hero and ???: purple
Banjo and Min Min: yellow
Terry and Steve: blue
Byleth and Sephiroth: a different shade of green

Though it's almost definitely a coincidence, and the final character could wind up having an orange, brown, blue, etc. background. We have a tendency to see patterns everywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom