• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The fact that at this stage of speculation, once-though IMPOSSIBLE characters like someone from LoL, Microsoft, heck anyone western, or Nintendo characters who lost spotlight are being considered SERIOUSLY OR GOT IN...

What a world, don't ya think?
What a world of light....

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate World of Light: Tips/guide

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Teasing out the final reveal so they can end on a character 95% of the audience has never heard of is very on-brand for Smash...
I'd be happy. And I don't care what 95% of any audience wants. I care about what I want. It just so happens that I am extremely difficult to disappoint, even with characters I didn't know I wanted beforehand. If I was particularly picky, you people would know about it, haha. It could very well not be Reimu and I'd most likely find myself interested in whoever it does end up being.

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Your reaction:

E3 has no double reveal. Instead, they open the Direct with a trailer that reveals a character like usual and close the Direct...

with a guessing game.
Does the guessing game tell us what series that character will be coming from?

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
The fact that at this stage of speculation, once-though IMPOSSIBLE characters like someone from LoL, Microsoft, heck anyone western, or Nintendo characters who lost spotlight are being considered SERIOUSLY OR GOT IN...

What a world, don't ya think?
Some day, the same will be said of 4th-party characters; even if it would take a few centuries, it'd still be only a matter of time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does the guessing game tell us what series that character will be coming from?
At this stage the only series I can think of that can pull off a guessing game are Pokémon and League of Legends

unless they cast the net wider and make it company specific (like Bandai Namco, Activision Blizzard etc)

Touhou wouldn’t work cuz you’d default to Reimu. I doubt they’d pick Marisa or Sakuya or Sanae or Youmu before her

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Actually, the bonus thing being another stage sounds a lot more realistic than a fighter. We've had bonus stages before, even if it's just an edit of another one(Battlefield), but this fits within Sakurai's hard statements of these being the final two packs. Besides, if more were coming, he wouldn't constantly being noting that still over the months. He can't see more are coming either, but he does have a limit to what he can say by Nintendo as well. His words have a lot of power, so he can't outright hint/reveal stuff till Nintendo is okay with it, as they're his contractor. That's why the reveals are so spread out, cause Nintendo wants is that way.

I'm still thinking one reveal at E3 even then, since we're on the subject. I don't, as I said before, buy we were going to have a double at last year's E3(if it direct happened). Maybe Steve/Alex was there, but not Min Min. She was pretty clearly going to be revealed way earlier, but she had to be delayed for gameplay reasons. Then there's the whole point of the guessing game, to actually give us something to chew on while the character took a lot longer to release than Nintendo would've realized(since they chose her at least about a year before her final release. No way they magically thought of a guessing game yet, meaning they actually had to play things by ear, and not just cause of COVID). Steve/Alex being delayed didn't help, but they if they weren't E3, a distinct possibility, they were only delayed by a month or two at most, and then they were held back to simply coincide with Minecon. To me, I think they were meant for August from the start. Min Min also was likely going to be E3 if she wasn't earlier than May, since delaying it for the big event is a better promotional reason.

It's possible they thought of revealing both at E3, but canned that for various reasons. Quite quickly, since things could not work out. They can easily schedule the various "You got this" messages in advance, sure, but they can't plan beyond that due to all kinds of possible delays.

• Steve/Alex's gameplay delays are a huge deal and take way longer. It's possible they couldn't be ready by August either, but that seems the earliest to me plausible. Especially since Sephiroth came out very fast after the blocky duo. That's 2-3 months of waiting on them. It did not go that well for Banjo fans, but they were just happy he was in the game. This isn't good enough for even bigger gaming icons. It's not as niche of a fanbase, but a way bigger one. It's more risky to pull that.
  • There's also gameplay factors. That's going to take a while.
  • We don't know if the trailers were even ready by E3 as is.
  • Obviously with the gameplay delays, Minecon was just a better place to reveal it around. Strike while the iron's hot.
  • It's very easy to change the order of release cause of planned messages. Those messages are not that important and just an internal thing that is subject to change. It just means "they will eventually arrive".
  • Min Min's gameplay delay possibly affected Steve/Alex's too. If they're being worked on at the same time, as generally is told to us, that means that one delay affects another. Both were big gameplay factors, unlike Sephiroth(who was likely not much affected). Note that I am part of a team of an SSB fangame, so I do see these things in action. There's priorities/orders of stuff to do, and it depends the crew you have as well. Smash's own team obviously has a far bigger employee base and can get more done at once, but there's still Sakurai who oversees things. How he divides it up and what he directly tries to help with also matter. He might've been involved with both characters, causing delay for Steve/Alex too, for all we know. I'm not saying this is definitely the case
But yeah, overall I'm still going with "one reveal" and the last one throughout fall. It'd be cool if that isn't the case, but then it leaves nothing left for the rest of the year to chew on. It's pretty clear we're not getting any decent updates to a Mode(and we know new modes aren't happening. Which to be fair, is why Boss Rush being tied to Sephiroth only isn't that odd in hindsight. Sucky, though), which is about the only thing left to show off now besides patches down the line(which you don't need a showcase for. Just a quick tweet. Especially as Nintendo releases all the notes we need). Even when we had 6 total characters in one year(though technically with Piranha Plant, that was more a year and 1/3 added to the entire DLC cycle, when adding the development time, assuming it was started in September), but one was a bonus, and they had no plans for a second pass remotely yet. That came about after Joker as is, which also means they had no idea how it should be spread out carefully. It wasn't spread out even that well, feeling kind of random when to drop. This time they chose 2 years and have mostly distributed them rather evenly, with the exception of delay issues. And even then, they weren't spread out too terribly. It's only Min Min that had issues at best, enough it took practically half a year for her to release. Everything always seemed rather on schedule to me, about 2-3 months per character release, a nice steady thing to keep everyone in hype as much as they can.

-------------------

That said, for a Guessing Game, Pokemon Gen VIII actually would be interesting. Since they're multiple viable candidates. Even ARMS at least got some good discussion overall. Hype did die down fast, mind you, but they were using the Guessing Game pretty much to put ARMS back in the spotlight(it didn't really work that well. If they gave the game more updates, it would've, but it was just "let's get more sales" without the extra stuff that helps. Promoting is half the battle). Pokemon doesn't need a spotlight, but they do love promoting it and being a way more popular series, actually would get even more discussion. That doesn't mean it's a good idea at all, but it is the only franchise that they can easily pull it off with little risk. Gen VIII is still relevant right now due to the anime(not as much the games, which finished releasing everything. I don't know of any spin-offs coming soon).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Of course the LoL guys would immediately go GEE WOULDN'T A LOL GUESSING GAME BE SO SWELL when a guessing game idea was posted.
Can you blame us, though? :4pacman:

In truth, we might meme a lot about it, but I think I've yet to see anyone among the few supporters here who would be actively enthusiastic about it - I'd say it's the opposite, in fact.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can you blame us, though? :4pacman:

In truth, we might meme a lot about it, but I think I've yet to see anyone among the few supporters here who would be actively enthusiastic about it - I'd say it's the opposite, in fact.
At the very least they should narrow it down to a handful of very popular champs like Ahri, Yasuo, Jinx, Teemo, Ashe etc

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
They'd narrow it down to the legends featured in the Ruined King.
Easy.

Also, can we get Braum just cu his mustache?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At the very least they should narrow it down to a handful of very popular champs like Ahri, Yasuo, Jinx, Teemo, Ashe etc
I mean, they did at least give us a specific set of ARMS characters, and even then, people pretty much narrowed it down to the most popular and the mascots.

...LoL has way too many so they'd have to give us a specific list for it to work. This isn't Pokemon(where it's not that hard to narrow it down yourself. It takes little to look at what particular ones are promoted, and even then, Nintendo could make a list too).

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Not that this was super likely anyway, but I think it's a safe bet to say we aren't getting both Crash and Master Chief.

Natethehate seems to be pretty credible (as far as I can tell) and while the doubt he cast on both of those characters was just speculation, he did say he knew of a character that wasn't either of them.
When did he say this?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not that this was super likely anyway, but I think it's a safe bet to say we aren't getting both Crash and Master Chief.

Natethehate seems to be pretty credible (as far as I can tell) and while the doubt he cast on both of those characters was just speculation, he did say he knew of a character that wasn't either of them.
Would that be a Western or Japanese-appeal character? Or would there be no context to tell?

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

I would honestly go as far as saying only one of the characters will be Western if there is another Western character. I could be wrong but ending the pass on two Western characters in a row would be a surprising choice.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
...Actually, the bonus thing being another stage sounds a lot more realistic than a fighter. We've had bonus stages before, even if it's just an edit of another one(Battlefield), but this fits within Sakurai's hard statements of these being the final two packs. Besides, if more were coming, he wouldn't constantly being noting that still over the months. He can't see more are coming either, but he does have a limit to what he can say by Nintendo as well. His words have a lot of power, so he can't outright hint/reveal stuff till Nintendo is okay with it, as they're his contractor. That's why the reveals are so spread out, cause Nintendo wants is that way.

I'm still thinking one reveal at E3 even then, since we're on the subject. I don't, as I said before, buy we were going to have a double at last year's E3(if it direct happened). Maybe Steve/Alex was there, but not Min Min. She was pretty clearly going to be revealed way earlier, but she had to be delayed for gameplay reasons. Then there's the whole point of the guessing game, to actually give us something to chew on while the character took a lot longer to release than Nintendo would've realized(since they chose her at least about a year before her final release. No way they magically thought of a guessing game yet, meaning they actually had to play things by ear, and not just cause of COVID). Steve/Alex being delayed didn't help, but they if they weren't E3, a distinct possibility, they were only delayed by a month or two at most, and then they were held back to simply coincide with Minecon. To me, I think they were meant for August from the start. Min Min also was likely going to be E3 if she wasn't earlier than May, since delaying it for the big event is a better promotional reason.

It's possible they thought of revealing both at E3, but canned that for various reasons. Quite quickly, since things could not work out. They can easily schedule the various "You got this" messages in advance, sure, but they can't plan beyond that due to all kinds of possible delays.

• Steve/Alex's gameplay delays are a huge deal and take way longer. It's possible they couldn't be ready by August either, but that seems the earliest to me plausible. Especially since Sephiroth came out very fast after the blocky duo. That's 2-3 months of waiting on them. It did not go that well for Banjo fans, but they were just happy he was in the game. This isn't good enough for even bigger gaming icons. It's not as niche of a fanbase, but a way bigger one. It's more risky to pull that.
  • There's also gameplay factors. That's going to take a while.
  • We don't know if the trailers were even ready by E3 as is.
  • Obviously with the gameplay delays, Minecon was just a better place to reveal it around. Strike while the iron's hot.
  • It's very easy to change the order of release cause of planned messages. Those messages are not that important and just an internal thing that is subject to change. It just means "they will eventually arrive".
  • Min Min's gameplay delay possibly affected Steve/Alex's too. If they're being worked on at the same time, as generally is told to us, that means that one delay affects another. Both were big gameplay factors, unlike Sephiroth(who was likely not much affected). Note that I am part of a team of an SSB fangame, so I do see these things in action. There's priorities/orders of stuff to do, and it depends the crew you have as well. Smash's own team obviously has a far bigger employee base and can get more done at once, but there's still Sakurai who oversees things. How he divides it up and what he directly tries to help with also matter. He might've been involved with both characters, causing delay for Steve/Alex too, for all we know. I'm not saying this is definitely the case
But yeah, overall I'm still going with "one reveal" and the last one throughout fall. It'd be cool if that isn't the case, but then it leaves nothing left for the rest of the year to chew on. It's pretty clear we're not getting any decent updates to a Mode(and we know new modes aren't happening. Which to be fair, is why Boss Rush being tied to Sephiroth only isn't that odd in hindsight. Sucky, though), which is about the only thing left to show off now besides patches down the line(which you don't need a showcase for. Just a quick tweet. Especially as Nintendo releases all the notes we need). Even when we had 6 total characters in one year(though technically with Piranha Plant, that was more a year and 1/3 added to the entire DLC cycle, when adding the development time, assuming it was started in September), but one was a bonus, and they had no plans for a second pass remotely yet. That came about after Joker as is, which also means they had no idea how it should be spread out carefully. It wasn't spread out even that well, feeling kind of random when to drop. This time they chose 2 years and have mostly distributed them rather evenly, with the exception of delay issues. And even then, they weren't spread out too terribly. It's only Min Min that had issues at best, enough it took practically half a year for her to release. Everything always seemed rather on schedule to me, about 2-3 months per character release, a nice steady thing to keep everyone in hype as much as they can.

-------------------

That said, for a Guessing Game, Pokemon Gen VIII actually would be interesting. Since they're multiple viable candidates. Even ARMS at least got some good discussion overall. Hype did die down fast, mind you, but they were using the Guessing Game pretty much to put ARMS back in the spotlight(it didn't really work that well. If they gave the game more updates, it would've, but it was just "let's get more sales" without the extra stuff that helps. Promoting is half the battle). Pokemon doesn't need a spotlight, but they do love promoting it and being a way more popular series, actually would get even more discussion. That doesn't mean it's a good idea at all, but it is the only franchise that they can easily pull it off with little risk. Gen VIII is still relevant right now due to the anime(not as much the games, which finished releasing everything. I don't know of any spin-offs coming soon).
That's why I'm saying

A Just dance stage:wario::wario:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What Crash design would they even want to use? His newest look or what?
The Fighter pass 2 roster was finalised in 2019 so the N.Sane look is likely to be the inspiration.

Also, thought of a way to figure out what "party" the character will be from, hear me out:

If it's first party, they'll show us who it is 5-10 seconds into the trailer. If we have to watch it for a bit longer it's 3rd party.
:ultmegaman::ultryu: were revealed within 10 seconds whereas :ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja: took longer.

SKX31

Smash Master
Of course the LoL guys would immediately go GEE WOULDN'T A LOL GUESSING GAME BE SO SWELL when a guessing game idea was posted.

It's getting seriously boring and predictable at this point. Basically this comic.
Dota 2 / Volvo guessing game.

There, there's the new material. :4pacman:

A Just dance stage:wario::wario:
Only way I'll accept that is if there are 100+ costumes that the characters can put on during a match and dance to the music during the fight. :roll:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pokémon is really one of the only franchises where a guessing game would work well, and I know it would because...well, we sort of already do that with each Smash game anyway. They might not tell us ahead of time that we're getting a new Pokémon, but I think most people realize that it would be incredibly odd for Sakurai to skip over such an easy and obvious addition. We discuss, we pick who we think are most likely, and then we look for cues (and there's a lot of material to work with).

ARMS didn't work as well because there honestly wasn't much to go off of, and the interest with the series just wasn't there. Felt like a lot people genuinely didn't care who was chosen or if their guess would be wrong.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
The Fighter pass 2 roster was finalised in 2019 so the N.Sane look is likely to be the inspiration.

:ultmegaman::ultryu: were revealed within 10 seconds whereas :ultwiifittrainer::ultgreninja: took longer.
Good points on :ultmegaman:and:ultryu:.
However, :ultgreninja: is a Pokemon and his trailer literally opens up with a bunch of Pokemon flying out of Pokeballs.
:ultwiifittrainer:'s started with the game itself. We didn't realize it was Smash until the zoom out.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That would be interesting. However depending on the series (EX:Star Fox) people would be able to figure it out/guess who it is right way.
WRT ARMS, Spring Man was an Assist Trophy and Ribbon Girl a base game Mii Costume, so even though those two were on the list it was suggested by many that it wouldn’t be either of those two and thus someone unexpected

like Min Min and Ninjara, participants of the final crash bash. Turned out to be the former

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also, Sett as a LoL rep should be looked at JUST a tiny bit more, I have a rather arbitrary reason to say so, tho lmao
But that legend is voiced by Xander Mobus. Yep, the smash announcer. Mobus might be easy af to access for such a deal. Again, who knows

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, Sett as a LoL rep should be looked at JUST a tiny bit more, I have a rather arbitrary reason to say so, tho lmao
But that legend is voiced by Xander Mobus. Yep, the smash announcer. Mobus might be easy af to access for such a deal. Again, who knows
He’s also voiced by Takehito Koyasu in Japan, aka DIO

and trivia: Sephiroth’s JP VO voices Yoshikage Kira

so you’d have two JoJo villains in the roster

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
However, :ultgreninja: is a Pokemon and his trailer literally opens up with a bunch of Pokemon flying out of Pokeballs.
I’m not sure how it contradicts my point as we still didn’t know which Pokemon it was , just that it came from that franchise and your original post didn’t specify franchises but specific characters.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I’m not sure how it contradicts my point as we still didn’t know which Pokemon it was , just that it came from that franchise and your original post didn’t specify franchises but specific characters.
My post specified parties. 5 seconds into Greninja's trailer, we at least knew a Pokemon (1st PARTY) was coming.
I believe my point stands still, to be honest.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Josuke confirmed as FP10?
gran
(Yuuki) oh no

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Actually, just thought of something:
For those who don't know, big name FGC YouTuber Maximillian Dood KNEW about the Street Fighter x Fortnite crossover beforehand because he was asked by Epic to promote it in some ways but denied the offer.
What if a big name LoL player like Tyler1 gets asked to promote a Smash x LoL crossover in some way?

After all, Tyler1's been playing smash with MKleo a bit lately...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom