• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
What's "freedom of expression" in the context of a Smash character, exactly?
Pretty much it's related to how the character allows the Individual players to express themselves. The More options that character has, the More the expression of the players on a individual level come out

Part of the reason Melee Fox is very popular, if I am to understand, is that Melee's Movement system, combined with the tools in Fox's Moveset allow many different types of Playstyles with just one character

In comparison, a Big pitfall of low tier characters in not just Smash, but other Fighting games, is that they typically don't have the options to play in Many ways. There's typically only a few Viable ways to play that character. However this also isn't exclusive to Low tier characters, it can even affect Top tiers if they are Linear in the amount of playstyles that can be viable, and can even affect the entire game if the game systems only allow Certain Viable playstyles to thrive

Now Compared to Melee, Ultimate does have freedom expression, but not as much as Melee because Melee has more robust Movement system in the game. So I wonder if we could have a character like Melee Fox in Ultimate?

SKX31

Smash Master
Everyone: "What the hell is Touhou?"

Smashboards:
Touhou and League (:teemo: ) confirmed for Smash?

:4pacman:

What's "freedom of expression" in the context of a Smash character, exactly?
Think he means the ability to do tons of crazy **** - the Melee engine allows for that in spades (one can also argue :ultsteve: fits in this category). Semi-intended and unintended mechanics - like edge-cancelling on platforms - meant that Melee characters can dance around the battefield in a stupid number of creative ways. In essence, it makes Melee look like Disney on Ice and Yuri on Ice had a lovechild, and the result is beautiful IMHO:

The flipside to this is Melee's infamous mechanical difficulty curve of course, as well as the wear and tear it can induce.

Weird question, but is it possible for one of the next 2 characters to have similarities to Melee Fox, in terms of Gameplay, Options, and freedom of expression
And to answer this... uh, I don't see one of the next 2 characters moving like Melee Fox, no. Precisely because Sakurai and co. intentionally removed a lot of the tech that made Melee Fox (and other Melee characters) possible.

Being as complex as Melee Fox and allowing for significant freedom of expression though? I mean, one can kinda argue that Steve is similarily expressive due to his complexity, so yes, kinda?

Last edited:

RednekGamurz

Smash Rookie
NNID
RednekGamurz
3DS FC
2251-5616-7274
This brings me an interesting topic on Gen 1.

:133: VS :052:

Who is the superior choice and why is it Meowth?
Eevee, due to it having some interesting moveset potential, and being able to represent more than 1 Pokemon, and more generations outside of Gen 1 (also cause Jolteon's my favorite Pokemon). I would totally be down with having Meowth playable though. It's been popular since the beginning of the series, the anime still features Team Rocket's Meowth as a character, and TPC still gives the Meowth line some love in more recent games.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Modern Bill is so goddamn boring. I like the off brand Rambo style more. Contra itself is weird, don't ever google the lore. Ever.
Contra games: Lol Rambo and Commando fight Xenomorphs.

Contra Lore: Someone travels from 2633 to the Seventies in order to stop the Contra from ever happening and their base is in a Temple from Central America, this happens in a WiiWare (R.I.P) game, but the timeline keeps normal somehow, later in Contra 1 Bill and Lance fight the Red/Blood Falcon and they are actually alines that invade earth and it culmiates in the alien wars from SNES, then suddenly a War Hero becomes a Terrorist in Hard Corps, but turns out there's a game related to Hard Corps made by Arcsys that is a prequel to the first Contra games and---

...........nevermind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing about Jigglypuff is that part of why it's in is both due to having extra time for clone-like characters and it being popular in the anime. Meowth may not have been even considered, like Mewtwo was. The other thing is that Mewtwo couldn't make it in Smash 64, and being it couldn't have an easy character to base upon, it's not that surprising why. Jigglypuff simply had the "can use someone else as a base" advantage. Also, it's very easy to make using Kirby as a base, a character who is a staple to Smash. So other veterans who are harder to do tend to be on the chopping block as is first. Being a rather iconic Pokemon(a huge franchise) also helps. But the clone factor is what gives it an advantage in returning combined with everything else. A reboot could go either way, but why cut an easy to make and very popular character? It won't give an advantage to adding someone else either way, so there's little reason to cut it.

Thus, the only other Pokemon at the time would be the same way. Among Gen 1, you'd have to find someone who can use any of the original 8 as a base. That's not super easy. Clefairy otherwise, since it's a similar shape to Jigglypuff/Kirby, but it's still a pretty different design(the puffball thing is more of a Jigglypuff trait). Raichu could use Pikachu as a base, even with a lot more heavy modification(so it might be closer to what Captain Falcon is to Samus, or even Ness to Mario in comparison). If Ness was made way earlier, that could at least account for Mewtwo's jump, but not bodyshape to even a slight degree.

Besides... who is close enough to Meowth's bodyshape to use? That's pretty much why it wouldn't really be plausible for Smash 64. I'd still have loved it in, but it was just in a bad place. Melee doesn't help either, since the only extra character was Pichu among the Pokemon, for the same reason as Jigglypuff. Easy clone(but also an iconic Pokemon in their own right, and also relevant to the anime, even if it's only via a movie). So then you move onto Brawl. And that's where Gen 1 isn't nearly as important as moving onto the rest of the franchise's new generations. Lucario was pretty much a big gun either way, and then the question is still "could Meowth used anyone as a base"? Probably not. Meowth pretty much has to stand on its own two feet and be a unique model design to get in. There's a lot of new relevant Pokemon as is, and some big icons to deal with(Eevee is there, and that's one example), plus veterans. Overall, it feels like it was just in a bad position to be chosen throughout Smash history. No doubt it's a great choice, though~ Relevance will never be an issue as long as the anime exists. Popularity is the same way.

Last edited:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Weird question, but is it possible for one of the next 2 characters to have similarities to Melee Fox, in terms of Gameplay, Options, and freedom of expression
So someone with lots of options that would also allow every player the chance to give their own unique take on the character?

I can't think of anyone.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
So someone with lots of options that would also allow every player the chance to give their own unique take on the character?

I can't think of anyone.
Really, I see a lot of people point to a Style gimmick for Dante, but I don't see it, personally. Not like he needed it in Mahvel.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Oh, definitely.

I'd prefer it to be this timeline.

Checks that Kirby, Toon Link, Shulk, Bayonetta, and Pyra/Mythra are still there

You may live; but I shall have to look closer to see if you earn any rewards

Hmmm... Shadow is good, but they are an echo fighter, and there aren't really any additions beyond that I want...

On the scale of unfathomable riches to your life remaining unchanged... you get one free pie - but its delicious

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Well, this all ends this year. The Saga of SmUsh and its DLC fighters. If only Etika was here to see us off of the hype train...
Yea... mental health is so important my friends, and deserves to be taken seriously. Look out for yourselves as well as your family and friends...

Twilord

Smash Ace
Random thought I want to put out there, before I go to bed. No real reason...

A franchise about software animism and the impact of the information age on the occultist interpretation of Plato's world-of-forms concepts - probably not a bad pick to end Smash Bros on.

Especially if it happens to have a secondary mascot who embodies all three types of Mii Costume, who happens to be a natural Final Smash for its mascot.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Random thought I want to put out there, before I go to bed. No real reason...

A franchise about software animism and the impact of the information age on the occultist interpretation of Plato's world-of-forms concepts - probably not a bad pick to end Smash Bros on.

Especially if it happens to have a secondary mascot who embodies all three types of Mii Costume, who happens to be a natural Final Smash for its mascot.
Vectorman | Video Game Characters Database Wiki | Fandom

agreed

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Moving back to the green background color many would insist the only possible option would Chief, there is another green themed character from a 3rd party company already in Smash.

Konami's Bill Rizer!
Look, Bill is one of my most wanted, but he is NOT green themed. It's neat you found a picture of him in green, but he wears blue in most of his appearances. He is "the blue guy" in Contra to Lance's "red guy".

Could you imagine the uproar if Smash Bros had a reboot that cute Jigglypuff?
Probably pretty mild as character cut backlashes would go if we're being honest.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
We have until December 31st 2021 until the smash DLC is done and we are halfway of 2021 I expect that there is enough time for a bonus fighter and possibly extra returning stages.
Extra echo fighters would be a good idea.
Example:
Protoman comes with a day version of Wily castle stage
Ms. Pac-man comes with Pac-maze stage
Mega Charizard X or Ditto comes with Pokefloat stage
Metal Mario or Dry Bowser comes with Rainbow road stage

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We have until December 31st 2021 until the smash DLC is done and we are halfway of 2021 I expect that there is enough time for a bonus fighter and possibly extra returning stages.
Example:
No, we have until character 11 until the DLC is done, whenever that time comes.
We've always known the DLC will end in 2021, not that it'd end on the last day of 2021.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
No, we have until character 11 until the DLC is done, whenever that time comes.
We've always known the DLC will end in 2021, not that it'd end on the last day of 2021.
Even though what I said sounds unlikely there is still a possibility with the amount of time that is given
Remember we still got extra DLC contents during smash 4 such as Mario maker and miiverse stage and none expected that but there was enough time for that

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Example:
The 2021 deadline is for Fighter Pass 2 so there isn't a time limit for extra content.

There won't be any extra content, but just saying, if you wanna theorize based on time, you might as well say we're getting 20 bonus fighters up to 2025.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. We've been caught off-guard time and time again.
constantly insisting on crash is a reason why
I still remember a few months ago when there was a "which characters do you think are shoe-ins for the next game?" discussion. I was shocked that any third-party characters got named, it's not a realistic expectation when those possibilities are too broad.

If you'd said circa 2012 that Layton would never get in at all, a lot of people would have laughed at you. And now here we are.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't see why anyone should feel confident that their character will absolutely 100% get in Ultimate when we're (as of now) down to only two more fighters. Not five like there was a year ago; only two. There's dozens of ways this could play out where your character doesn't get in.
Exactly!

Well...except for Hayabusa obviously.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If they are going to put John Raimi, the protagonist from Geist as a DLC character, how will they put him? As his normal state or as a soul? Although I would say to put him in his normal state and with his soul to use various controlled objects, as well as in his video game that penetrates various humans, animals and objects and controls them.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Besides... who is close enough to Meowth's bodyshape to use? That's pretty much why it wouldn't really be plausible for Smash 64.
Ness (though he was added later on) and Mario have decently enough close bodyshapes (stubby arms and legs, no neck and big heads, similar torsos, chibi looking overall), not as close but they're there. I'd imagine if they went the Ness route in execution it'd have been possible, who himself is fairly unique from the rest of the extra 4 characters.

Also both Meowth and Eevee are great picks gimmie both.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Jigglypuff isn’t particularly likely to be cut in a new Smash both because of how relatively easy she is to port over despite being unique (she was one of the last Brawl additions for a reason) as well as the fact she already has become something of a Smash fan favourite. Interestingly, she can be compared to Roy as a character in this regard.

If anything, the only characters I think are particularly vulnerable to being cut in the next game are the Echo Fighters minus :ultdaisy: (:ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultken:), the previously cut veterans minus a certain duo (:ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultlucas::ultwolf:) and everyone who was a newcomer via DLC (:ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra: minus :ultminmin since I doubt they’d cut the sole representative of a first-party franchise. :ulticeclimbers: Only got cut due to 3DS limitations. Also if :ultsnake: goes, I’d doubt :ultsimon::ultrichter: would stay). Reminder that every one of the 16 third-party character we have will have to individually be paid for in order to be used for the next game so the cost stacks up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom