• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I see this as more calling out a "news site" (if you can really call it that?) for poor journalistic integrity and just generally being morons rather than "I know who the next character is and it's not Crash".
They've been doing surprisingly well at keeping the smash reveals under wraps, I find it hard to believe Imran knows who the next character is.
I still pray Vergeben comes out last minute before E3 saying he "wouldn't be surprised" if Bandai Namco got another rep lmao

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y’ALL

IT’S HAPPENING

I imagine by “new Nintendo switch” they mean the more powerful one

GOD DAMMIT :ultgreninja: ’d

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Switch Pro might as well be 2 years away given the inevitable scarcity.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Really happy for DQ fans, though I think I'm more excited at Square being open to using the 2D-3D engine for remakes, which hopefully means getting something like this for Final Fantasy VI is on the table at some point.
Yeah, Final Fantasy VI was the first thing I thought of when playing Octopath Traveller. I think a remake in that style would be awesome. I’m really hoping we eventually see something with Chrono Trigger again as well.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Two more Sakurai Pics from last night:

It’s a bit anniversary heavy no?

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

It's a bit anniversary heavy yeah. But the picture with Samus and Villager though.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Censor dodge

Villager:
Mod edit: video thumbnail contains censor dodge

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
This Switch Pro thing at this point is really sounding like the next "Prime Trilogy Switch port" or "StarFox Grandprix".
It's already been that way for 3 years, I've never paid attention to them.

Today is different I think, too many different names hinting stuff for it to be nothing.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
What do you guys think of a dedicated Smash livestream next week or at least before the day of E3?

It's happened before with Roy and Ryu.
Eh, Smash Ultimate's marketing campaign is a lot different than Smash 4's. They put :4cloud:in a Nintendo Direct and put :4pacman:behind doors rather than the big reveal of E3.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What do you guys think of a dedicated Smash livestream next week or at least before the day of E3?

It's happened before with Roy and Ryu.
Eh, probably not. Smash Ultimate's always been a part of E3 ever since 2018 whenever it's come around (the only exception being 2020 since E3 was canceled that year).

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Eh, Smash Ultimate's marketing campaign is a lot different than Smash 4's. They put :4cloud:in a Nintendo Direct and put :4pacman:behind doors rather than the big reveal of E3.
And Ultimate just randomly dropped :ultsteve:'s trailer. It hasn't changed that much. I think what it comes down to, is how much do they have to show off? If they have a tonne of big announcements planned for E3, I could see them dropping the Smash trailer a couple weeks earlier. If the Direct could use a bit of padding out, then we'll get it there. If my Mother 3 theory is right then I think we'd get the Smash reveal earlier, so they can open with Mother 3 and close with Zelda. It could also apply to that rumoured DK game or a new Mario Kart, maybe even a second Splatoon 3 trailer could be enough to knock Smash out of the direct. Unless it's a fairly niche addition like Terry, who wouldn't be out of place in the middle of a direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a Smash related tweet at 9. Just... not the one we’re looking for:
Why Splatoon 2 when 3’s on the way though?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
See, this is actually cool school. School in my day was LAME-O! Honestly, Smash and the scene surrounding it taught me more practically useful things than school ever did. Less math, more Smash.

SKX31

Smash Master

Ah yes, the iconic bad guy of Metroid Zero Mission: :ultvillager: .

:4pacman:

For context: During the FreeMelee debacle last year a PlayVS employee divulged that Nintendo had requested PlayVS not to run Smash Bros. tournaments at high schools / colleges during the Spring 2021 season. While PlayVS later backpedaled and retracted the statement by the employee, I wouldn't be surprised if this indeed was the case. And as such this looks like Nintendo backtracked on that and negotiated with PlayVS.

I'm of two minds regarding this: On one hand, it's good news since it allows high schools some official aknowledgement... but on the other hand I'm a bit skeptical of Nintendo's intent since they've generally not been supportive of competitive events (generally content with enforcing rules and pretty much stamping its own logo, kinda akin to how Nintendo handled the YouTuber programs).

I get the impression that they want to turn Smash / Splatoon into varsity / amateur athletics. It's not a bad idea to give varsity athletics more stage (provided that Nintendo gives some support), but IMHO it shouldn't come at the cost of people who want to go to pro events.

But in the end, we'll simply have to see what the details of the HS / College systems are. If a lot of HSers / College students feel that Nintendo / PlayVS aren't offering much (or at all) this will not have nearly as much enthusiasm surrounding it. It's also worth noting that there are pro Smashers who are in the target demographic for this sort of thing (Sparg0, one of the most well-known Cloud / Wi-Fi players is 15 years old to name a prominent example), but who are commited professionals instead.

Varsity Athletics for Smash & Splatoon? That's really....something.....I guess...
It already exists - clip channels like Yeet Smash get quite a few clips from varsity Smash for example - this is Nintendo putting their official stamp of approval for it.

Varsity's generally at the low-mid level AFAIK - it's not what most people look think of when they think "competitive Smash" - but it still serves as an important gathering point for a lot of competitive (and casual) Smash Bros events. As with varsity football / basketball, when school rivals meet it's usually "Serious Business" as a matter of pride (IIRC that is). I do imagine it's the same with Splatoon.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So apparently some article is suggesting the last two FP characters will be revealed around E3 and around the 2021 Tokyo Game Show.
Whoa wait TOKYO GAME SHOW?!

I find it hard to believe as it’s a region exclusive event like Gamescom... if that’s true though it might be a Japan-appealing character who’d have a bigger reception at TGS

but again, doubt it

although they could announce PXZ3 there...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
so it seems the final 2 characters will be revealed soon, in that case DLC speculation is almost over, do we have any vague idea about any character right now?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I've been thinking about a potential Smash 6 that's also like an "Ultimate Deluxe" (as in everybody will be there again); since that'd require a lot of resources and time, does anybody think Ninty should go the Call of Duty route and have more of their development studios work on that to make it release sooner?

That's it, I'm sick of all y'alls "left field" predictions!

You all have slept on Umihara Kawase for too long!

That's...really cool. But why only 3?

If you do 3, you've done, like 90% of the work to do 1 and 2.

DQ will never be edgy, because it'll never NOT use the same monster designs it always uses.
Especially the American versions, which use puns for monster names.

So I'm quoting my own post since I'm kinda confused, but also interested, as there may be a theory based of this

THEORY TIME!

So I believe that Sonic 3 (the Original) came out in February, and & Knuckles expansion came out some time in October

So I'm kinda confused why they did Sonic 3 anniversary now, and why they didn't do it earlier. I actually believe this is the only time where they did something off date, and unlike the Sonic 1 post, this seems to be intentional

I could see this being based of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles version since that's considered the complete game. If that's the case, that would mean this should have been celebrated in October, not much earlier in May

So the Interesting Implication, and where this theory takes us, is that we could maybe use this to figure out when BOTH of the last 2 fighters will release. The fact they are doing the Sonic 3 & Knuckles posts now might suggest these anniversary posts won't last till October.

These anniversary posts I believe started sometime in July 26th of 2020, So I will say the anniversary posts will at least continue till July.

October is kind of a far off date, as I'd expect people believe CP11 would at the most be released in Septemeber or earlier. However this could just be the start. If we see more off date anniversary posts for games that might be in September, that could be used to take off that month as a potential release date of the character.

In terms of the Sonic Anniversary posts, With Sonic 3 out of the way, we have Sonic 1, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Lost world that will need posts perhaps, though they might just ignore Lost world.
This another Shadow-advocacy post? Fine by me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey guys, I've been thinking about a potential Smash 6 that's also like an "Ultimate Deluxe" (as in everybody will be there again); since that'd require a lot of resources and time, does anybody think Ninty should go the Call of Duty route and have more of their development studios work on that to make it release sooner?

Especially the American versions, which use puns for monster names.

This another Shadow-advocacy post? Fine by me.
Call of Duty route
on the one hand it would expedite it, on the other it would lead to a lot of misinterpretation

although, I can think of one way for Everyone Is Here to persist for at least one more game: that when you license a character you put multiple games in their contract, I.e. for Snake his contract would include Smash Ultimate and Smash Ultimate “Encore”

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
on the one hand it would expedite it, on the other it would lead to a lot of misinterpretation

although, I can think of one way for Everyone Is Here to persist for at least one more game: that when you license a character you put multiple games in their contract, I.e. for Snake his contract would include Smash Ultimate and Smash Ultimate “Encore”
I am now imagining Snake talking about his contract

"Grrrghhhh I've got another game in my contract. You'll have to hire someone else to do the mission, hrrrrrrrgh"

Then Wario bursts in "WAAAAAAAAAAHARHARHARHARHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MORE games for WARIO'S CONTRACT!"

Then Pyra's trying to explain to Rex why they need to show up one more time "But Pyra! Wasn't that enough, then?" "No Rex... we gotta do it one more time at least. It's in the contract". Mythra just bursts out "IT'S IN THE CONTRACT, YOU IDIOT! WE HAVE TO DO IT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom