• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Doomfist was like the 3rd or 4th DLC character added to Overwatch (at least their DLC is free); I don't see why a character added at least a year later would be considered to be the best to rep the series. Especially when he's a part of Talon, the organization directly opposed to Overwatch

If we got someone, it'd be either Tracer (the 'face' of Overwatch, the game), Winston (the one in the opening cinematic trying to get them all back), or Soldier 76 (one of the early leaders of Overwatch).

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
would she be broken?
Tracer would be.... pretty problematic, to say the least. If they stayed true to the character, she'd theoretically be able to undo damage/combo strings + recover in the same move, that would have pretty low start up. Literally rewinding time to her damage level/location something like three seconds prior. It does have a significant cool down period, but you'd never get away with limiting it a la Banjos move (I forget the name, I always wanna call it Brave Bird for some reason.) Her blinks kind of work the same way, 3 banked with it replenishing at a decent enough rate. Blinking would cover about 1/3 of battlefield, can only be controlled horizontally. No health regen there, but again, super small start up. She can also deal massive damage in a short period of time.

tl;dr She'd be a glass canon with a heal and insane horizontal recovery.

Doomfist was like the 3rd or 4th DLC character added to Overwatch (at least their DLC is free); I don't see why a character added at least a year later would be considered to be the best to rep the series. Especially when he's a part of Talon, the organization directly opposed to Overwatch

If we got someone, it'd be either Tracer (the 'face' of Overwatch, the game), Winston (the one in the opening cinematic trying to get them all back), or Soldier 76 (one of the early leaders of Overwatch).
I found the article discussing the AMA they did where they were asked the question.
Tracer plz; Doomfist could also work

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yep. Genji could work too, as he's quite a highly recognizable character from that game. Though his moves' degree of uniqueness and fitting in Smash might be static compared to the others you mention.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we get a Joker-like situation for one of these last two characters (a character from a game that's well-regarded, but not one that you'd expect to be in Smash for one reason or another), who do you think we could get?

My guess would be 2B from Nier Automata.

Much like Persona 5, it's a highly praised game that came out recently, and even though it hasn't been on Nintendo platforms (at least, I don't think it has - not sure if characters from Nier Automata have appeared as part of an event or DLC for some Square-Enix game), she seems like the sort of character that Sakurai might include regardless of that. I figure that, if need be, her design could be altered slightly like Pyra and Mythra's designs were, and even if she was limited to two types of weapons, there'd still be a ton of attacks, movement options, specials, etc. to work with. (plus, having an immediately-recognizable design/art style seems like it would help)
I'm kinda tempted to say Reimu, but I'm not sure I really can because the prompt is "Someone from a well-received game" and Touhou's breadth stems from how the fans have pushed them beyond the games rather than the games themselves. Said situation is probably why nobody can come to an agreement on her because nobody's sure if non-game material matters for localization, let alone fanworks. I don't think there's any other games that has such an unorthodox status.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we get a Joker-like situation for one of these last two characters (a character from a game that's well-regarded, but not one that you'd expect to be in Smash for one reason or another), who do you think we could get?

My guess would be 2B from Nier Automata.

Much like Persona 5, it's a highly praised game that came out recently, and even though it hasn't been on Nintendo platforms (at least, I don't think it has - not sure if characters from Nier Automata have appeared as part of an event or DLC for some Square-Enix game), she seems like the sort of character that Sakurai might include regardless of that. I figure that, if need be, her design could be altered slightly like Pyra and Mythra's designs were (it seems like it would just take some leggings that go from her boots to her leotard), and even if she was limited to two types of weapons, there'd still be a ton of attacks, movement options, specials, etc. to work with. (plus, having an immediately-recognizable design/art style seems like it would help)
Would a League character count?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I’d imagine resources that could have went to other things...
Not really, that probably took up to an afternoon of work, up to probably a week of work.
Making the game in VR was basically creating two camera in the scene, lowering the resolution so the game can run with the two camera (basically displaying the game twice) and voila.
Which is why the VR mode was basically almost an non-event even for Sakurai himself, compared to let's say...The Stage Builder where extensive resources, working on it from the release of the game, up to the release of the mode.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tracer would be.... pretty problematic, to say the least. If they stayed true to the character, she'd theoretically be able to undo damage/combo strings + recover in the same move, that would have pretty low start up. Literally rewinding time to her damage level/location something like three seconds prior. It does have a significant cool down period, but you'd never get away with limiting it a la Banjos move (I forget the name, I always wanna call it Brave Bird for some reason.) Her blinks kind of work the same way, 3 banked with it replenishing at a decent enough rate. Blinking would cover about 1/3 of battlefield, can only be controlled horizontally. No health regen there, but again, super small start up. She can also deal massive damage in a short period of time.

People said Steve couldn't get in Smash because it would be problematic to place blocks anywhere. Fast forward to Steve getting in Smash and it turned out that his moveset changed in transition like literally every other character.

Tracer wouldn't be any different.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Honestly, let me say this.

Sephiroth's sword, without a doubt, got shortened in length.
Ridley was dilated down.

I think they can under exaggerate Tracer a bit while keeping her move pool true to her character and OW-original play style.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't see why not; I haven't played much of it, but by my understanding, it's a huge game that hasn't really touched Nintendo systems. (aside from spin-offs, maybe? I'm not sure)
Wild Rift, a mobile version that’s gradually adding champs from the PC version, is confirmed to come to consoles. Switch being one of them

just dunno when

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Bootmoon himself. Specifically from the Arkham City type games like the Wii U "Arkham City Armored Edition".

WHAT? Comic book characters can't be in Smash why can he suddenly?

"Because I'm BATMAN!"

Purely to imagine Batman just punching and pummeling Wario repeatedly and then Wario's like "Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why are you a-doing this?"

Batman leans in close up to his toothy, pink-nosed face, does the animated series squint and goes "Because I'm BATMAN!" then kicks him off the stage.

"I won't kill you... but I don't have to save you"

SKX31

Smash Master
Tracer sounds good on paper, but then you think of the wifi implications with a character that blinks around and rewinds times and... ew.
Slight correction: She doesn't rewind time globally, she rewinds to the spot she was 3 secs ago.

Still would be a major headache on Wi-Fi since characters the rely a lot on positioning and limiting mistakes (:ultmarth: , :ultsheik: , :ultsephiroth: ) lose heavily on Wi-Fi - at least at the casual / lower levels. And to a kinda lesser but still noticeable extent, the higher levels. So yeah, not disputing your main point at all, I agree there.

TBF:

• :ultzss: already has insane horizontal recovery thanks to Flip Jump and great aerial momentum. :ultsephiroth: and :ultmewtwo: have similarily great recoveries - especially Sephiroth with OWA.
  • The Blinks travel a set distance a la Fox Illusion / Wonderwing (which is B-K's side B) so anticipation becomes key in order to stop that. Tracer in her home game also Blinks in the direction she's facing - which is Smash makes it easier to anticipate since Smash does not have the high sense cursors which allow for instant turning.
  • While the heal could be problematic, she would likely have the player marker or the nameplate following the Recall to where she originally was. Also, her aerial speed in Overwatch doesn't strike me as great (she drops like a rock in OW IIRC) - meaning she's combo food because she doesn't have a lot of time to avoid additional attacks.

It's definetely possible to balance her playstyle and incorporate it in Smash.

You sure about that? He's a JRPG protagonist.
TBF, there are also a lot of JRPG protags who are more in the conversation than Demi-Fiend is at the moment (Lloyd / Yuri, 2B, one can certainly argue Euden, etc.) so while Demi-Fiend is mentioned quite a bit I don't get the impression he's the most talked about either.

I don't see why not; I haven't played much of it, but by my understanding, it's a huge game that hasn't really touched Nintendo systems. (aside from spin-offs, maybe? I'm not sure)
The RPG Ruined King is set to release on the Switch in the future, so yeah a LoL spin off game is about to come to a Nintendo system.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wild Rift, a mobile version that’s gradually adding champs from the PC version, is confirmed to come to consoles. Switch being one of them

just dunno when
There's also that RPG, Ruined King, which is also aimed to launch on the Switch, among other systems. Pretty sure the platformer is also going multiplat but I'll need to check that one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Slight correction: She doesn't rewind time globally, she rewinds to the spot she was 3 secs ago.

Still would be a major headache on Wi-Fi since characters the rely a lot on positioning and limiting mistakes (:ultmarth: , :ultsheik: , :ultsephiroth: ) lose heavily on Wi-Fi - at least at the casual / lower levels. And to a kinda lesser but still noticeable extent, the higher levels. So yeah, not disputing your main point at all, I agree there.

TBF:

• :ultzss: already has insane horizontal recovery thanks to Flip Jump and great aerial momentum. :ultsephiroth: and :ultmewtwo: have similarily great recoveries - especially
  • The Blinks travel a set distance a la Fox Illusion / Wonderwing (which is B-K's side B) so anticipation becomes key in order to stop that. Tracer in her home game also Blinks in the direction she's facing - which is Smash makes it easier to anticipate since Smash does not have the high sense cursors which allow for instant turning.
  • While the heal could be problematic, she would likely have the player marker or the nameplate following the Recall to where she originally was. Also, her aerial speed in Overwatch doesn't strike me as great (she drops like a rock in OW IIRC) - meaning she's combo food because she doesn't have a lot of time to avoid additional attacks.

It's definetely possible to balance her playstyle and incorporate it in Smash.

TBF, there are also a lot of JRPG protags who are more in the conversation than Demi-Fiend is at the moment (Lloyd / Yuri, 2B, one can certainly argue Euden, etc.) so while Demi-Fiend is mentioned quite a bit I don't get the impression he's the most talked about either.

The RPG Ruined King is set to release on the Switch in the future, so yeah a LoL spin off game is about to come to a Nintendo system.
There’s also the Ekko spin-off CONV/RGENCE which, while currently only confirmed for PC, may well come to the Switch (and PS4/5 and/or Xbox One/Series X) too

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Ragnar McRyan!

I'm also good with Tsarevna Alena! Get a teeny little rumble tumble brawler in here! No swords or magic, only fists and claws!
View attachment 316582

Cue March of the Capricious Princess!

IV is secretly the best DQ
Oh yeah, if we get a DQ4 character it 100% should be Alena. In fact I'd say she's pretty high up there for a second DQ rep in general; she's pretty much the face of DQ party members.

But on the other hand: pink knight.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What if they reveal the LoL Switch games and reveal a LoL character in Smash at E3 simultaneously?
Maybe? Having some LoL trailers while announcing a character's inclusion in Smash sounds like it'd have a decent amount of synergy to keep the hype going. On the other hand, it's not something that Smash usually seems to do. Granted, the only character revealed in a direct who also had upcoming games was Hero, and I don't remember that direct that well after about two years.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe? Having some LoL trailers while announcing a character's inclusion in Smash sounds like it'd have a decent amount of synergy to keep the hype going. On the other hand, it's not something that Smash usually seems to do. Granted, the only character revealed in a direct who also had upcoming games was Hero, and I don't remember that direct that well after about two years.
I mean I remember the trailer pretty freakin well still waiting on the feature to use the possession effects on anyone outside WoL

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, if we get a DQ4 character it 100% should be Alena. In fact I'd say she's pretty high up there for a second DQ rep in general; she's pretty much the face of DQ party members.

But on the other hand: pink knight.
I know Alena is popular, but I thought Bianca and Nera/Flora were much more popular cause....you know, Dragon Quest V and the original "Do you choose Pyra or do you choose Mythra?"

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I know Alena is popular, but I thought Bianca and Nera/Flora were much more popular cause....you know, Dragon Quest V and the original "Do you choose Pyra or do you choose Mythra?"
IME the "which do you pick?" debate is the popular part, the characters themselves are kinda mid tier in popularity. Also helps that 5 is an amazing game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, my final prediction:

Smash will have their Final Ultimate Presentation at E3;

CP10 - Reimu Hakurei
CP11 - League of Legends character (betting either Ahri or Jinx)
One more bonus individual DLC - Octoling (semi clone of Inkling) free for a limited time if you bought both passes

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Back to LoL for a sec, it’s worth noting Tencent owns Riot (the LoL devs) AND Tencent struck a deal with Nintendo to distribute the Switch officially in China. They may want their subsidiary to have a spot in Smash as a favor

of course idk how long ago that deal was struck, if it was in time for the finalizing of FP2

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I don't really think Lloyd is "slept on" when it comes to Smash speculation. He's been like one of the most frequently discussed characters since Brawl.
The question here is who is slept on for an E3 reveal thought, which...He is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom