• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
my guess: it'll be a duo reveal if they have actual games to reveal and a single reveal if they don't

if they have new games they don't need to rely on DLC. if they don't have new games they're absolutely milking Smash for all the attention it can get

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so uh i had a galaxy brain moment earlier
wrt dlc i think he did give hints in the tweets, like how Sephiroth was hinted at with "make sure sound is on" and now that I think abt it... Pyra and Mythra were hinted at with the two "hoho"s cause he said "hoho" twice. cuz two characters in one

yeah that's my galaxy brain moment
the hoho thing is what i wanna draw attention to

to this day tho, i STILL dunno what the word "festival" has to do with Steve or Minecraft

SharkLord

Smash Hero
E3 2018 is an interesting case, because on one hand there was only one original newcomer shown, but on the other, reveals of characters like Snake and Wolf could've stood on their own as substantial reveals, given their popularity. It doesn't invalidate this pattern, but I would count them even above Daisy, tbh.
There's also the EVERYONE IS HERE announcement, which on it's own was groundbreaking at the time. Now half of everybody can't accept another game that drops even a couple veterans. I'd definitely count that as one of 2018's reveals.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think BotW2 will be the big focus of E3.

The question is will it be akin to 2018 where Nintendo put all their eggs in a single basket.
"We would like to announce The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 Digital Experience! Viewers tuning in to this exclusive Nintendo E3 broadcast can catch the latest news on the sequel to the hit game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

Please note no other titles will be discussed at this time.

Perish. :140: "

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think BotW2 will be the big focus of E3.

The question is will it be akin to 2018 where Nintendo put all their eggs in a single basket.
I could see it being similar to 2018. A quick highlight reel of everything else Nintendo has coming at the beginning, and then the rest of the presentation is dedicated to going real in depth with BotW2. I'm sure they could fill up an entire presentation with that game on its own, so having it be a main focus would be easy.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't think we'll be playing BoTW2 this year. I have a hunch that Nintendo wants Age of Calamity to be relevant for a little while longer. My bets are that we'll get BoTW2 in April or May of next year, possibly with the Switch Pro.

Shroob

Sup?
I could see it being similar to 2018. A quick highlight reel of everything else Nintendo has coming at the beginning, and then the rest of the presentation is dedicated to going real in depth with BotW2. I'm sure they could fill up an entire presentation with that game on its own, so having it be a main focus would be easy.
And if they do do that, I then wonder if they'd do a double reveal.

I almost expect them to open with Smash, or have Smash very close to the beginning, but if the main focus is BotW2, I do have wonder if they'd pull the "One more thing."

Technomage

Smash Champion
And if they do do that, I then wonder if they'd do a double reveal.

I almost expect them to open with Smash, or have Smash very close to the beginning, but if the main focus is BotW2, I do have wonder if they'd pull the "One more thing."
With the "one more thing" being a Smash reveal for a BotW2 character, perhaps?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't think we'll be playing BoTW2 this year. I have a hunch that Nintendo wants Age of Calamity to be relevant for a little while longer. My bets are that we'll get BoTW2 in April or May of next year, possibly with the Switch Pro.
...the spin-off from last year? Nintendo doesn't even publish that game in Japan, KT does. There's still AoC DLC to show, but Nintendo has also moved on to promoting SS. I imagine BotW2 will touch down whenever the Pro does, whether this year or next.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Hey so um...

I've known this for quite a while and I want to share it here
There hasn't been a single Smash reveal at E3 where they only showed a single character
View attachment 316298
(the "?" on Inkling signifies that it could be debatable since Inkling was technically revealed when Smash was confirmed to be coming to Switch so, yeah.)

Now this doesn't guarantee that we will actually get a double reveal, I just wanted to pull this up because people are making it seem like a double reveal is less likely than it actually is.

Keep in mind, in 2019 during the first Fighters Pass being developed, :ultjoker: came out only 2 months before E3, and despite that, we got two full-length trailers for the next two characters anyway during E3 2019 (even though :ultbanjokazooie: released later, which makes sense)
I don't see why they wouldn't do a double reveal again, as we are approaching the 3-month mark since :ultpyra: and Mythra's release, we could have the reveal for Challenger Pack's 10 and 11 and have Challenger Pack 11 release later.
I think the only reason people don't see a Double Reveal as a Guarantee, is simply because we didn't had a E3 2020. If E3 2020 and HAD Min Min and Steve revealed at the same time.

I think it's also the fact they have tried to spread it out as much as possible.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If they devote the latter chunk of the presentation to Zelda, it would be very strange to have a "one more thing" reveal be a Smash character that isn't a Zelda character. That said, it would also be strange to conclude with a "one more thing" that is probably less hype than showing BotW2 itself, and possibly an earlier Smash character - since people would like another Zelda character in Smash, but the ones we'd actually stand a chance of getting aren't exactly the Banjos and Ridleys and Ryus which have batted cleanup in the E3 Smash reveals.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its worth noting within the Switch's lifespan that Nintendo has released a Zelda title every year since 2017:

2017: Breath of the Wild
2018: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
2019: Link's Awakening Remake
2020: Age of Calamity

Even with Skyward Sword HD, I wouldn't be terribly surprised at us getting BOTW 2 as the major holiday release.

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
I think the only reason people don't see a Double Reveal as a Guarantee, is simply because we didn't had a E3 2020. If E3 2020 and HAD Min Min and Steve revealed at the same time.

I think it's also the fact they have tried to spread it out as much as possible.
If COVID hadn't been a thing I feel like that Min-Min would have been reveal in the March/April direct and released between March and June. I feel like E3 2020 was always going to have one reveal being Steve.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Its worth noting within the Switch's lifespan that Nintendo has released a Zelda title every year since 2017:

2017: Breath of the Wild
2018: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
2019: Link's Awakening Remake
2020: Age of Calamity

Even with Skyward Sword HD, I wouldn't be terribly surprised at us getting BOTW 2 as the major holiday release.
Nintendo has gone on record post-BotW as saying they want to have an annual Zelda release, fwiw. I think they'll go ever further with that this year since eventually they'll acknowledge the anniversary - which was probably shifted somewhat release-wise by covid, akin to Mario's.

I don't even know what doriyah means; is it an actual word, not a "hi-yah" or something?

Much like Pokemon only being able to say their own names, Ganondorf mains communicate solely via Doriyahs.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm... not a big fan of Blizzard, so I really shouldn't comment, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that Tracer was the most likely rep from them.
Indeed. I myself thought this because I felt that she's become a modern gaming icon, and given than OW 1 and 2 will have Switch appearances, and given how massive the OW League is, she'd have a shot.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also, to add something interesting..
I remember this theory theorizing on what 3rd parties (or even 2nd) could get repped for the rest of FP2 given Sephiroth's trailer because the companies have gotten involved SOMEHOW with Nintendo during FP2...
based upon what characters were in that trailer (CGI) and their corresponding companies that own the rights to those characters:

:ultrichter: - More Konami Content(?)
:ulthero3:- Could be considered an indirect hint towards Sephiroth
:ultshulk:- :ultpyra:
:ultsonic:-More SEGA Content(?)
:ultbayonetta:-More SEGA/PlatinumGames Content(?)
:ultbanjokazooie:-I mean, Steve was CP7.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Diablo's more likely than people think. Also, he's more of a Blizzard rep.
Also, to add something interesting..
I remember this theory theorizing on what 3rd parties (or even 2nd) could get repped for the rest of FP2 given Sephiroth's trailer because the companies have gotten involved SOMEHOW with Nintendo during FP2...
based upon what characters were in that trailer (CGI) and their corresponding companies that own the rights to those characters:

:ultrichter: - More Konami Content(?)
:ulthero3:- Could be considered an indirect hint towards Sephiroth
:ultshulk:- :ultpyra:
:ultsonic:-More SEGA Content(?)
:ultbayonetta:-More SEGA/PlatinumGames Content(?)
:ultbanjokazooie:-I mean, Steve was CP7.
What?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I personally think both Min Min and Steve were set to be revealed at E3, and the former was going to be released then as well, or in the following days. And Steve was going to be released a couple weeks earlier than he was, in September.

What I think was an even bigger factor in the span between Byleth and Min Min than covid was, I believe, unlike typical DLC development, they didn't actually start FP2 development until FP1 was wrapping up. In other words, I don't believe once Banjo released they started working on Min Min in the typical revolving door style. I think they saw FP1 and FP2 as two distinct development cycles, and they did something similar to base, which is have one just about done before even starting the actual development on the next phase. Acquisitions and other legal stuff aside, of course.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
What what?
Hmm ok Let me explain this a bit more:
I'm saying: If a 2nd/3rd party character showed up in the trailer, if you look at the CGI parts of Smash Ultimate's reveal trailers, Nintendo used 2nd/3rd party fighters in supporting roles with the exception of :ultridley:'s reveal trailer, until:ultsephiroth:. They could've used characters owned by companies involved in FP2.

:ulthero3: - SE of course
:ultrichter: - Konami (?)
:ultsonic::ultbayonetta: - SEGA / PLatinmumGames (?)
:ultshulk: - :ultpyra:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm... not a big fan of Blizzard, so I really shouldn't comment, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that Tracer was the most likely rep from them.
Funny you should mention that, because I'm pretty sure an official interview had the Blizzard devs stating that if there was any character they could add, it'd be Diablo. Keep in mind this already had them bringing up OW reps, so at the very least the internally rank Diablo above Tracer. Now, if only I could find that interview...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom