• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Um? What does this have to do with the newcomer thread or anything Smash related?

Sora Fans: Bu-b-but Sora's Disney owned 100% by them! He doesn't count!
And I’m here sitting by myself thinking how cool Magus and Xemnas could be in Smash. It’s nice and cozy in the side character/villain fan club.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still can't believe we're just four weeks away from the next character reveal(s) and potentially the end of this DLC cycle.

Crazy how time flies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
(Oh and Charging Chuck was probably added because those at Nintendo thought it'd be hilarious to see the american football minion play golf. I agree.)
I mean, Chargin Chuck has already been caught in the act of putting on a football helmet so that he can stand around throwing baseballs at people... because that makes sense. He may LOOK like a football player... but he's actually a very versatile dude, and that's why it'll be CHARGIN CHUCK that'll be a Super Smash Brother someday.

I would unironically love this

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, Chargin Chuck has already been caught in the act of putting on a football helmet so that he can stand around throwing baseballs at people... because that makes sense. He may LOOK like a football player... but he's actually a very versatile dude, and that's why it'll be CHARGIN CHUCK that'll be a Super Smash Brother someday.

I would unironically love this
Not before King Bob-Omb.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Not before King Bob-Omb.
King Bob-omb is really cool too. That guy basically makes his living off of throwing people off of platforms, he'd be super cool and fit right in.

But if he's gonna be "King of the Ring", then he has to come with this super obscure Sonic the Hedgehog song that describes Sonic as "King of the Ring. Come here and play with meeeeeeeeeeee"

Gengar84

Smash Hero
"Fighter's Pass 3 exclusive to Super Smash Bros. Ul2mate for the Nintendo 2witch, This time it has 7 characters"

"READY TO DO THIS FOR ANOTHER 2 YEARS!?!"
I would keep buying these as long as they’re willing to make them honestly. I’m a little afraid how how disappointing the next Smash is going to be if they have to cut a ton of characters. This is probably the last chance many characters have to ever make it in Smash if they’re planning to scale the series down from here on.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I would keep buying these as long as they’re willing to make them honestly. I’m a little afraid how how disappointing the next Smash is going to be if they have to cut a ton of characters. This is probably the last chance many characters have to ever make it in Smash if they’re planning to scale the series down from here on.
My headcanon is that if a bunch of characters get cut in the next Smash, then some kind of 1986 Transformers The Movie situation unfolded and several members of the cast of the first two seasons are just violently murdered in the movie, leaving very few of them alive for Season 3 episodes.

Who gets the "The Touch" scene? Because THAT character has "got the TOUCH.... they've got the POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

And then somebody lays them on a table and goes "I fear the wounds are.... fatal..."

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Whatever happens from here, I’m just thankful that Sakurai was honest with us about the next game having to cut a bunch of characters. I wish I could say the same thing for another huge series on Nintendo consoles.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Ultimate’s story could only be improved by a dance montage characters set to “Dare to Be Stupid”.
But not before a couple weirdly placed swears in a movie based on a children's cartoon, one of which is so heavy that the scene selection on the DVD refers to that scene as "Bad Word".

And at SOME point they get in a fight with some sharks and then go "We can give them ONE EXPENSIVE REPAIR BILL" and punch a shark's teeth out, all to an unreasonably amazing song. They get saved by some dinosaurs and a guy with a slingshot. Probably Yoshi and Villager.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ultimate’s story could only be improved by a dance montage characters set to “Dare to Be Stupid”.
It’s not exactly what you’re looking for but this might hold you over until then lol:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I would trade a potential FP3 for a better story mode that includes a boss rush as well as the possibility to freely control Master Hand.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would trade a potential FP3 for a better story mode that includes a boss rush as well as the possibility to freely control Master Hand.
I think I would too. We can always add more characters through modding but that’s not really possible for an entire story mode. I actually really liked Subspace Emissary and I wish they could have built upon and improved it instead of scrapping it altogether. World of Light just didn’t feel the same.

D

Deleted member

A make your own classic mode you can share online really should be something in the series by now, if just to get final boss battles that don’t involve Master and/or Crazy Hand.
And it would let you use DLC characters in other routes, which honestly should be in the game via patches already. Yeah you can’t play as them if you don’t buy them but you can already play against DLC characters you don’t own online.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Which deconfirmation left you the most upset?

I’d say Fiora. Voted for her on the ballot. Got Chrom’d literally day one, so I went for my backup, Elma... but now it looks like she won’t make it either! 🙃

don’t mind me I’m just in my Deconfirmation Depression again...they’ll both get their chance another day...

hell, maybe Neku will get his chance another day too... I also voted for him 😭
Late to the discussion but definitely Ashley. Her assist trophy didn't even get a special showcase: they just randomly showed it at the end of the August 2018 Direct.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I really don't want to come across as gloating, especially since I do feel bad for Xenoblade fans like Rie who were pulling for other characters, but the one disconfirmation that made me actually upset was a XC2 rep during the November 2018 Direct...and that was obviously rectified later.

Monster Hunter would've left me a bit salty if it wasn't for Pyra/Mythra, though.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Being honest, I kind of hope we don't get any news 'till E3. As weird as it sounds, I'm 18 and have been tuning into Ninty's E3 presentations since I was 11 (and hyping over Smash for). 2014's digital event was my first, and it's weirdly special to me, hunkering down every mid-june to see what's up.
I was really bummed out about (but understanding of) E3 2020's cancellation for that reason, and I'm really happy about being able to attend to the tradition this year around. Any breadcrumbs before then would weaken things a wee tad.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Whatever happens from here, I’m just thankful that Sakurai was honest with us about the next game having to cut a bunch of characters. I wish I could say the same thing for another huge series on Nintendo consoles.
It is worthwhile to note: while I know of games with bigger casts of characters* (Dota 2 has 121 characters, LoL 155) they've been built over the years through the live service model - it took both those games ca. 10 years to reach this point. I can only see Smash reaching that number of characters if it adopts a live service model - and I doubt Sakurai would be keen on the idea. He's not exactly IceFrog, a guy who embraced the game he develops to the point he's been willing to commit 15+ years of work into the game. Also, there's the Bandai-Namco staff to consider in this case since Nintendo contracts them to work on the game, so... yeah. It's difficult to do that with any other dev studio as well.

*(Intentionally discounting cases like Tobal 2's 200 characters since that game has a lot of pallette swaps etc.)

This thread will never have to shut down then, for better or for worse.....
... **** it, turn Smash into a live service game just so that this thread will be eternal. :4pacman:

Edit: Aaaand suddenly rumors are swerving again surrounding WB Games:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

EdittidE: See next page

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Being honest, I kind of hope we don't get any news 'till E3. As weird as it sounds, I'm 18 and have been tuning into Ninty's E3 presentations since I was 11 (and hyping over Smash for). 2014's digital event was my first, and it's weirdly special to me, hunkering down every mid-june to see what's up.
I was really bummed out about (but understanding of) E3 2020's cancellation for that reason, and I'm really happy about being able to attend to the tradition this year around. Any breadcrumbs before then would weaken things a wee tad.
... This made me realize 2013 was 8 years ago
IMG_20210427_205355.jpg

Mega Man's trailer was almost 8 years ago and that was such a wonderful trend setter for Smash reveals holy ****. I'm gonna rewatch it out of sheer nostalgia of popping the **** off back then

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm aware, I just think it's funny how this is the first time I've seen a suggestion about this in 3 years
Well...they aren't video games. So it's like asking Love Hotels to get into Smash.

That said, Nintendo HAD made hanafuda video games, so it's not IMPOSSIBLE.

You know, there's one way a pokemon could make it despite this cheer crowd theory, and that's if the pokemon has the exact same name across all languages.

Such as Arceus.
Arceus should be a Boss.

Did I miss something with Crono?
You did not. Rie likes to count things as deconfirmed, even when they technically aren't.

Unlikely ≠ deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Pro Wrestling
Rygar
Double Dragon(I NEED Mii Brawlers and DAT THEME SONG)
Gradius
StarTropics
Bionic Commando
Crystalis
Blaster Master
Maniac Mansion
Wizards & Warriors
You forgot to add Ninja Ryu. :4pacman:

Ya know what's a kinda funny reasoning I see tossed around against characters like Nemesis?

"No body horror."

Yes, because Smash is completely free of body horror.

Don't forget Ridley having skinless areas around his eyes and pelvic region (or are those scars)?

WARNING: Don't look it the next thing that's in a spoiler tag unless you can handle ultra-disturbing content, and don't look it up during nighttime either!

However, I think it's more like there'd be a limit to the amount of body horror allowable in Smash (for example, can you honestly tell me that the monster baby from Resident Evil Village would be eligible for Smash in any kind of appearance?).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It is worthwhile to note: while I know of games with bigger casts of characters* (Dota 2 has 121 characters, LoL 155) they've been built over the years through the live service model - it took both those games ca. 10 years to reach this point. I can only see Smash reaching that number of characters if it adopts a live service model - and I doubt Sakurai would be keen on the idea. He's not exactly IceFrog, a guy who embraced the game he develops to the point he's been willing to commit 15+ years of work into the game. Also, there's the Bandai-Namco staff to consider in this case since Nintendo contracts them to work on the game, so... yeah. It's difficult to do that with any other dev studio as well.

*(Intentionally discounting cases like Tobal 2's 200 characters since that game has a lot of pallette swaps etc.)

... **** it, turn Smash into a live service game just so that this thread will be eternal. :4pacman:

Edit: Aaaand suddenly rumors are swerving again surrounding WB Games:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Are they getting bought out after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom