• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's one of the two leaks that mentioned the new Mario+Rabbids game.

One outright said that CP10 is Rayman, the other only said it's an Ubisoft rep, but the latter said that CP10 drops "In Fall."

I kinda find it very hard to believe that they'd make us wait 6 months between P/M and supposedly Rayman unless they somehow ran into ARMs-level of character difficulty.
Yeah. I doubt this, mostly due to the fact that Ubisoft got Mii Costumes during Byleth's pack and I doubt that they would make us wait 6 months for the next fighter unless they are Steve-levels of complexity or even greater than that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

One outright said that CP10 is Rayman, the other only said it's an Ubisoft rep, but the latter said that CP10 drops "In Fall."

I kinda find it very hard to believe that they'd make us wait 6 months between P/M and supposedly Rayman unless they somehow ran into ARMs-level of character difficulty.
What do you mean 'ARMS-level', Min Min has no reason to have complicated development issues, not only is her model straight up taken directly from her game, shortening the workload, but her moveset is so simple that they literally made 1 attack over half of her moveset

Shroob

Sup?
What do you mean 'ARMS-level', Min Min has no reason to have complicated development issues, not only is her model straight up taken directly from her game, shortening the workload, but her moveset is so simple that they literally made 1 attack over half of her moveset
They literally asked for more development time due to the difficulty of implementing her/Covid issues back in March 2020. That gave us a 6-month gap between Byleth to Min Min.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They literally asked for more development time due to the difficulty of implementing her/Covid issues back in March 2020. That gave us a 6-month gap between Byleth to Min Min.
There's no way Min Min was the issue in that regard. COVID? I can buy that but if a character with a premade model and the most over used attack animation in the game caused serious issues then the state would be so bad that we wouldn't have Steve until at least half a year later than what we got

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Have we actually confirmed Min Min reused the model from ARMS or was that just an assumption? I think I remember something about how the texture was different and it was actually a different model, but I'm not sure.

Shroob

Sup?
There's no way Min Min was the issue in that regard. COVID? I can buy that but if a character with a premade model and the most over used attack animation in the game caused serious issues then the state would be so bad that we wouldn't have Steve until at least half a year later than what we got
Obviously, we can pin covid as the issue, but the trailer gave us: "This fighter's a bit unusual due to those extendable arms, so we'll have to extend our development time."

It's obviously a lot to do with Covid, but Min Min's arms and swapping mechanic are something entirely unique to her, and considering how many bugs she launched with, it doesn't surprise me she needed a lot of time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Let's not forget the typical time between actual fighters within a pass (so discounting time between base game and the first pass as well as between pass 1 and 2)

Joker to Hero: 104 Days
Hero to Banjo: 36 Days
Banjo to Terry: 63 Days
Terry to Byleth: 83 Days
Average: Roughly 72 Days

Min Min to Steve: 106 Days
Steve to Sephiroth: 68 Days (63 if you count the Challenge Mode release)
Sephiroth to Pyra/Mythra: 65 Days (60 going off the Challenge Mode release)
Average: 80 Days (or 76 accounting for Challenge Mode)

Nintendo could very well reveal the character circa 6/12-6/13, do a Sakurai presents later that week, and release them that day, and it roughly be 104-106 days since Pyra/Mythra, not out of the question for the ranges we've seen.

A Fall release far beyond that strikes me as unlikely.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean, Steve’s model isn’t exactly a Smash original either lmao. Nor is he very animation intensive. Most of that dev time obviously goes toward both characters’ mechanics which are unlike any other character on the roster - Min Min’s range probably took a lot of work to be properly balanced (regardless of whether or not you think they succeeded) as is her stance change mechanic, and Steve obviously required a reworking of every stage in the game.

But Steve feels like an odd example after saying how lazy Min Min supposedly is animation and model wise because like... well, you get the idea.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, Steve’s model isn’t exactly a Smash original either lmao. Nor is he very animation intensive. Most of that dev time obviously goes toward both characters’ mechanics which are unlike any other character on the roster - Min Min’s range probably took a lot of work to be properly balanced (regardless of whether or not you think they succeeded) as is her stance change mechanic, and Steve obviously required a reworking of every stage in the game.

But Steve feels like an odd example after saying how lazy Min Min is animation and model wise because like... well, you get the idea.
Arm go stretch isn't exactly as instense as reworking every stage, especially as they didn't give them hurtboxes which would have required more work due to the kind of ****ery Piranha Plant's down b has.

I didn't say using 1 move for half of her moveset means she's lazily made, but rather that it makes her significantly easier to work on compared to every other fighter in the game. If you want to read that as lazy, that's your choice I suppose

Shroob

Sup?
I see no reason as to why it would be before the innevitable E3 direct, or after said innevitable E3 direct. Now, for the last character, I think that they'll keep it for a bit later, and reveal it in like October or around that time period.
I'd say September for the last, assuming E3 is a solo reveal.

We've never had a year where we haven't gone without a September direct, barring last year of course.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you want to read that as lazy, that's your choice I suppose
Given how angrily you respond whenever this character is brought up I suppose I just read between the lines. Sorry if I was wrong.

Anyway, Sakurai has already addressed how Min Min’s execution was very difficult and posed its own unique challenges:

https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai/status/1243187293600411655?s=21

So I’m just going off word of god there. “Arm go stretch” certainly does sound like a downplay of the amount of effort apparently put into making this character function in Smash. If you don’t like the implementation then all power to you but it was clearly a demanding task. I don’t know how much that was relative to everyone else but it was enough for Sakurai to acknowledge it.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As mentioned in my post my general thinking is a release in the days after E3, essentially with the company making a a full blown week out of it. Nintendo doing their big blowout on roughly Sunday, with a treehouse segment perhaps the day after, a Sakurai presents on Wednesday, and release on Friday would do two things. It would keep a lot of news/social media attention on them, and be the ultimate advertisement to the character and pass in major fashion.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Given how angrily you respond whenever this character is brought up I suppose I just read between the lines. Sorry if I was wrong.

Anyway, Sakurai has already addressed how Min Min’s execution was very difficult and posed its own unique challenges:

https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai/status/1243187293600411655?s=21

So I’m just going off word of god there. “Arm go stretch” certainly does sound like a downplay of the amount of effort clearly put into making this character function in Smash. If you don’t like the implementation then all power to you but it was clearly a demanding task. I don’t know how much that was relative to everyone else but it was enough for Sakurai to acknowledge it.
Apology accepted

Thing is, Sakurai specifically mentions balance issues in the first tweet and says "The world's going through a difficult time" in the second, which implies that at best, the team was figuring out how to handle COVID.

Technomage

Smash Champion
so what do y'all think about the imposter from the hit indie game amogus in smash?
Since its rise in popularity was in June (before FP2's contents being finalized), I'd say the possibility of Among Us getting a fighter is there. Nevermind, mixed up some information.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Leaks huh? Is there any merit towards any of them? If so, that’s my cue to head out before I get spoiled.

SKX31

Smash Master
Since its rise in popularity was in June (before FP2's contents being finalized), I'd say the possibility of Among Us getting a fighter is there.
Ummm....

Wasn't FP2 finalized in late 2019 (Terry's presentation) - before Among Us skyrocketed in popularity?

Both Challenger pack 10 and 11 revealed at E3. That's my final answer!

cat
Excuse to post about TimeSplitters' most memorable feline:

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Ummm....

Wasn't FP2 finalized in late 2019 (Terry's presentation) - before Among Us skyrocketed in popularity?
You're half-right; FP2 was actuallyfinalized in November, while AU's popularity rose in between June and October. Nevermind.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yeah, the validity of the leak is up int the air for sure but if it somehow is valid and we get Rayman or Ezio then I have a hard time believing it’ll be fall before we get them either way. Release dates in leaks even if real are often incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom