• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Sega news

Makes sense
They were investing alot in their hotels, arcades, and pachinko parlors because of the Olympics coming up but covid hit and ruined everything even killing their arcades.

D

Deleted member

Alright it's been awhile since I wanted to post something on this thread, so here's an interview of KT's president Hishashi Koinuma talking about Samurai Warriors 5.

While there isn't anything Smash related on here at all (thank God lol), there is at least something fun to think about with this:

1620865408765.png

Koei-Tecmo have already made games for Metroid, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Fire Emblem, but they have yet to make a Mario game. Koinuma has mentioned in the past he wants to make a Mario game and a Star Wars Musou game, so wouldn't it be something if a Warriors character was added to Smash while Nintendo gives them the greenlight to make a Mario game at the same time?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
BTW it look like Namco recently sold off their amusement business like SEGA did to the same company.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I hate that my current switch is patched. Wish I could import my Minecraft skin.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So what are people's thoughts on Dixie potentially being this supposed bonus character? If this rumor of a new DK game were to be true, combined with the planned DK area for the Super Nintendo World amusement park it seems like she could be a logical choice. I also seem to recall seeing something about Nintendo wanting to bring DK back into the spotlight and try and make it one of their pillar series, but I'd have to look to see if I can find a source for that.

On another note, have we discussed the possibility of a Monster Hunter Stories character in Smash? I seem to recall people talking about the creators of Monster Hunter not liking the Monster Hunter avatar character being playable in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. But perhaps that wouldn't be a problem for a Stories character?

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Alright it's been awhile since I wanted to post something on this thread, so here's an interview of KT's president Hishashi Koinuma talking about Samurai Warriors 5.

While there isn't anything Smash related on here at all (thank God lol), there is at least something fun to think about with this:

View attachment 314934

Koei-Tecmo have already made games for Metroid, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Fire Emblem, but they have yet to make a Mario game. Koinuma has mentioned in the past he wants to make a Mario game and a Star Wars Musou game, so wouldn't it be something if a Warriors character was added to Smash while Nintendo gives them the greenlight to make a Mario game at the same time?
I don't want to come off as mean but I feel like Mario Musou would look awful (unless they were using like the Dead or Alive 6 engine but that's probably not possible with the amount of enemies potentially on screen).

Edit: I misread that. I thought you meant specifically a Mario musou game. My bad.

I wonder what kind of Mario game Koei Tecmo would make.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So what are people's thoughts on Dixie potentially being this supposed bonus character? If this rumor of a new DK game were to be true, combined with the planned DK area for the Super Nintendo World amusement park it seems like she could be a logical choice. I also seem to recall seeing something about Nintendo wanting to bring DK back into the spotlight and try and make it one of their pillar series, but I'd have to look to see if I can find a source for that.

On another note, have we discussed the possibility of a Monster Hunter Stories character in Smash? I seem to recall people talking about the creators of Monster Hunter not liking the Monster Hunter avatar character being playable in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. But perhaps that wouldn't be a problem for a Stories character?
Monster Hunter discussion has been kinda dead in the water after the last update due to all the Monster Hunter costumes returning. It's not impossible we get a MonHun character, but it'd be a bit odd that all the MonHun stuff would have come before them.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd love to see her in Ultimate. I'm highly doubtful of it happening.

Even assuming that Nintendo and Sakurai would go for a tie in character to an upcoming title, I just think the pattern would suggest someone like an Impa or a Gen 8 Pokémon. I think she's got a decent shot in the next title, especially if a next DK title really continues the momentum that K Rool's return has generated. But as bonus character for Ultimate (even as a major fan who's waxed endlessly about her potential as a fighter in her respective thread)?

I just don't see it.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I would love Dixie in Smash but I’m not really interested if she ends up being a Diddy echo. I would love if they could reference the classic trilogy of games by utilizing either the animal buddies or tagging with Kiddy.

My dream moveset for Dixie is for her to use the animal buddies in her specials. Neutral B would be Rambi that charges in place and charges forward similar to Jigglypuff’s roll. For her up special, she could ride Squawks and it could shoot coconuts as it flew upwards. The down special could summon a big wave and she could ride Enguarde on top of it as it washed by. This would leave her forward special as her hair spin that could function similarly to DK’s forward special.

The other option I would love to see is tagging with Kiddy Kong. Their down special could be tagging between them and their up special could lift the other Kong on their shoulders and then toss them in a chosen direction.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Monster Hunter discussion has been kinda dead in the water after the last update due to all the Monster Hunter costumes returning. It's not impossible we get a MonHun character, but it'd be a bit odd that all the MonHun stuff would have come before them.
Oh hmm, I guess I forgot about that lol Even so though I find it a little weird that I never saw stories brought up as a possibility before that.

I'd love to see her in Smash. I'm highly doubtful of it happening.

Even assuming that Nintendo and Sakurai would go for a tie in character to an upcoming title, I just think the pattern would suggest someone like an Impa or a Gen 8 Pokémon. I think she's got a decent shot in the next title, especially if a next DK title really continues the momentum that K Rool's return has generated. But as bonus character for Ultimate, even as a major fan who's waxed endlessly about her potential as a fighter in her respective thread?

I just don't see it.
That's reasonable. I actually kinda think Impa is coming as well, as either as character 10 or 11. But that's neither here nor there. The idea was mostly predicated on the idea that Nintendo is actively trying to prop up DK as a series as one of it's tent pole series. If that were to be the case it seems a coordinated marketing effort would be called for. And assuming that the DK game comes to fruition, it would line up with that. It was less about a tie in to that specific game and more like an attempt to prop up DK as a series. The amusement park, the game, the mario kart tour racers would all align with that. It definitely doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I think it's interesting to consider. Also if we actually get more DK characters in the next Mario Kart or even Mario Party (both of which are rumored depending on who you talk to).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
BTW it look like Namco recently sold off their amusement business like SEGA did to the same company.
This is their arcades, right? Just wanna make sure.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I would love Dixie in Smash but I’m not really interested if she ends up being a Diddy echo. I would love if they could reference the classic trilogy of games by utilizing either the animal buddies or tagging with Kiddy.

My dream moveset for Dixie is for her to use the animal buddies in her specials. Neutral B would be Rambi that charges in place and charges forward similar to Jigglypuff’s roll. For her up special, she could ride Squawks and it could shoot coconuts as it flew upwards. The down special could summon a big wave and she could ride Enguarde on top of it as it washed by. This would leave her forward special as her hair spin that could function similarly to DK’s forward special.

The other option I would love to see is tagging with Kiddy Kong. Their down special could be tagging between them and their up special could lift the other Kong on their shoulders and then toss them in a chosen direction.
Oh no absolutely, I wouldn't want her to be an echo either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey uh

if the programmer/creator/producer of a series leaves the company theyre with, nothing’s stopping them from... coming back one day right? HAS that happened in the past?

im just. Wondering a thing

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice

There's a newly announced trial for Ys VIII for Nintendo Online Subscribers in Japan.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

There's a newly announced trial for Ys VIII for Nintendo Online Subscribers in Japan.
bops SharkLord SharkLord on the head

C'mon, buddy, time to do your job.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I am starting to wonder is if a XCX port might show up at E3. Given how in the dark we are about upcoming first party JRPG's outside the Diamond and Pearl remakes, a Chronicles X release might be the kind of thing to fill a gap either in the fall or early 2022.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Have we actually confirmed Min Min reused the model from ARMS or was that just an assumption? I think I remember something about how the texture was different and it was actually a different model, but I'm not sure.
Both she and Pyra use the models from their origin games as a base, but they're heavily modified, mainly so their textures can take up less memory.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What kind of shift, though? Was Zippo right about something after all?
Basically due to covid, last year Sega lost a bunch of money due to their arcade, resorts, pachiko businesses all losing money. As a result, their gaming division was their only profitable one and they decided to separate the gaming division from the entertain division as the gaming side won't be drag down by the woes of the entertainment division and allow them to have more freedom overall within Sega Sammy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Both she and Pyra use the models from their origin games as a base, but they're heavily modified, mainly so their textures can take up less memory.
And in Pyra/Mythra’s case, to appease CERO
Something I am starting to wonder is if a XCX port might show up at E3. Given how in the dark we are about upcoming first party JRPG's outside the Diamond and Pearl remakes, a Chronicles X release might be the kind of thing to fill a gap either in the fall or early 2022.
oh GOD do not give me hope like that

OH GOD IF ELMA IS THE HYPOTHETICAL BONUS FIGHTER THO I WILL SCREAM SO LOUD ILL GET NOISE COMPLAINTS FROM THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD OVER AND MAYBE EVEN LOSE MY VOICE FOR A WEEK BUT IT’LL BE SO WORTH IT

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Smash aside, we have to see how EPD even opts to treat the DK series. They've never been gung-ho on stuff they didn't create, with exceptions being scant and usually relegated to spin-offs like Diddy and Waluigi. And most of the DK series as we know it stems from Rare.

That said, they seem a bit more willing to acknowledge external influences than they used to be, if all the nods in Odyssey are anything to go by. And this would be the same team. So who knows. As it is now, it's not like Dixie's problem was a lack of appearances in main titles - I mean she was prominently featured in the last one.

As for Monster Hunter, I think the stories protag (Lute? I think) would make for a very interesting character considering he could ride around on the little Rathalos, but I think the fact that those games are spin-offs would be detrimental for their chances. Plus, within Ultimate, it seems like Monster Hunter has very much shot its shot at this point.

Shroob

Sup?
I need to find a good way to distract myself until June lol.

March through April zoomed by, but now that the realization that E3 is exactly 1 month away hit, time feels like it's crawling again.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
And in Pyra/Mythra’s case, to appease CERO

oh GOD do not give me hope like that

OH GOD IF ELMA IS THE HYPOTHETICAL BONUS FIGHTER THO I WILL SCREAM SO LOUD ILL GET NOISE COMPLAINTS FROM THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD OVER AND MAYBE EVEN LOSE MY VOICE FOR A WEEK BUT IT’LL BE SO WORTH IT
I feel like Porky could be a "bonus fighter" if it's true. Mother already has plenty of content such as 4 stages and 14 songs. Despite all that, I still feel that one thing is missing, the pig king himself. One more villain would be very nice in the pass and he parallels Sephiroth so much that they would become best friends once they meet.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've been playing Resident Evil 8 the past few days and it has been a blast. I just finished that creepy part (if you know you know) that is legit the most terrifying part in the series IMO.

Enjoying the game a lot makes me sad the series doesn't have a playable character in Smash, or at least, a bigger presence than "just" spirits, even if that's better than nothing.

Okay I'm gonna say it first:

Adol for Smash confirmed.

In a more serious note, it would be cool if the free trial wasn't Japan only, so more people could try the series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
it would be cool if the free trial wasn't Japan only, so more people could try the series.
That's what makes me suspicious about if this means Nintendo picked Adol. Wouldn't they want the whole world to be able to try out Ys if that was the case?

Last edited:

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice

Uhhhh... whoa. I'm genuinely surprised here. This is pretty darn awesome. XD

Okay I'm gonna say it first:

Adol for Smash confirmed.

In a more serious note, it would be cool if the free trial wasn't Japan only, so more people could try the series.
Yeah, I also want to see this trial become available worldwide. Ys VIII really is an amazing game, and the more people who play it, the better.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Every "bonus fighter" has been a launch game-planned character that ended up being relegated to DLC so they could still be in as a free addition for early buyers. I don't know why people are so adamant on one happening at the end of DLC, other than wanting to turn 2 last tries at their most wanted getting into 3 last tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom