• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In case anyone's interested:
View attachment 313356
Here's a visualization of playable characters by debut year (1980-2019) Columns are sorted top-down by date.
  • A blue outline indicates a character's actual debut.
  • A red outline indicates a costume with a different year of origin than the character itself. (NES Little Mac, Warioware Wario, Koopalings, Heroes)
    • When a character has multiple costumes, the earliest year is made blue and the other one is considered the costume.
    • The exception to this is the Koopalings and Heroes, since they're different characters altogether. They are listed in red, while Bowser Jr. and the Luminary are listed in blue.
    • Basic recolor references are not included (Golfer Mario, Fire Luigi, etc.) This involved some subjective calls on my part.
  • A green outline indicates that the character has multiple incarnations which are technically different individuals. (The only cases of this are Donkey Kong, Link, and Zelda.)
  • A yellow outline indicates a Final Smash transformation with a separate year of origin from a character itself. (Super Sonic, Giga Bowser, etc.)
    • In the case of Mr. Game & Watch's Octopus, I opted not to include it since Mr. Game and Watch is an amalgamation of characters from several games, and I felt it would be inconsistent to include Octopus but not every other character that he transforms into, like Chef, Judge, and Flagman. His debut game is considered Ball, the earliest reference in his moveset, which is what Smash also goes by.
    • I did not include transformations from the same game (Shadow Mario,) side characters that appear in Final Smashes (Mega Men,) or Final Smashes that aren't transformations (Poltergust.)
  • A pink outline was used exclusively for Ganon (1986), who is technically the same individual as Ganondorf (1998) in a different form. Ganon (1998) is also included as a Final Smash transformation, but is technically the same individual as both of the above. The Zelda timeline is weird.
And a simplified version with only characters:
View attachment 313357
This got stuck on the previous page, so I'm bringing it to the top of this one. I hope that's acceptable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
View attachment 313356
Here's a visualization of playable characters by debut year (1980-2019) Columns are sorted top-down by date.
  • A red outline indicates a costume with a different year of origin than the character itself. (NES Little Mac, Warioware Wario, Koopalings, Heroes)
    • When a character has multiple costumes, the earliest year is made blue and the other one is considered the costume.
    • The exception to this is the Koopalings and Heroes, since they're different characters altogether. They are listed in red, while Bowser Jr. and the Luminary are listed in blue.
    • Basic recolor references are not included (Golfer Mario, Fire Luigi, etc.) This involved some subjective calls on my part.
  • A green outline indicates that the character has multiple incarnations which are technically different individuals. (The only cases of this are Donkey Kong, Link, and Zelda.)
  • A yellow outline indicates a Final Smash transformation with a separate year of origin from a character itself. (Super Sonic, Giga Bowser, etc.)
    • In the case of Mr. Game & Watch's Octopus, I opted not to include it since Mr. Game and Watch is an amalgamation of characters from several games, and I felt it would be inconsistent to include Octopus but not every other character that he transforms into, like Chef, Judge, and Flagman. His debut game is considered Ball, the earliest reference in his moveset, which is what Smash also goes by.
    • I did not include transformations from the same game (Shadow Mario,) side characters that appear in Final Smashes (Mega Men,) or Final Smashes that aren't transformations (Poltergust.)
  • A pink outline was used exclusively for Ganon (1986), who is technically the same individual as Ganondorf (1998) in a different form. Ganon (1998) is also included as a Final Smash transformation, but is technically the same individual as both of the above. The Zelda timeline is weird.
View attachment 313357
Nice. Always interesting to see the distribution. You can really see the valley of Nintendo's blue ocean years.

Also fwiw Banjo's debut was a year earlier, in Diddy Kong Racing. Though Kazooie's wasn't. I guess it depends how you want to count the character.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nice. Always interesting to see the distribution. You can really see the valley of Nintendo's blue ocean years.

Also fwiw Banjo's debut was a year earlier, in Diddy Kong Racing. Though Kazooie's wasn't. I guess it depends how you want to count the character.
That was one of the many, many weird cases I came across while making this. I went for Banjo-Kazooie because of the pair with Kazooie, but I could reasonably have split them.

Another particularly weird one was Minecraft (continuous updates means that the game released in 2011, but Steve debuted in an alpha build circa 2009.) Honorably mention goes to the Pokemon that debuted separately from the games (Lucario, Mega Mewtwo Y) and the Miis, which are technically Smash OCs ala Mr. Game & Watch, but who I listed as debuting when the Wii launched because their default appearances are based on the Guest Miis B, C, and F.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I keep seeing people say this but I really don't believe this logic holds up anymore. I'd agree with this statement in FP1, when Nintendo did cast a wide net and gather a bunch of new properties and companies to introduce to Smash. FP1 feels very much like a pass structured to expand on the crossover element of Smash, etc etc. Now it feels like an outdated mentality.

FP2 is different. We have two Nintendo characters, one Square Enix character and one Microsoft character - the latter two from companies that already received content in FP1 as is. Two of these characters are from series that already have characters on the roster, one of them from a series that already had content in the game. Out of these picks, Steve is the only one who truly feels like he's covering any sort of new ground (in that respect, at least). I'm not sure what the motto behind FP2 is, but it's definitely different than it was in FP1. At this point in FP1, we had two brand new companies and whatever Atlus is, all from new series.

DLC is a great way to strengthen those relations, but if they truly cared about utilizing FP2 to do this, where's the Koei Tecmo character? Or any other new companies? Why are Capcom / Namco / Konami pretty much out of the picture (assuming Mii costumes are as damning as we assume they are) as some other close partners with no new characters as DLC? In that case, why even go for SE and Microsoft again in the first place? Because by that logic, we're already double-dipping instead of covering that new ground. It's not like FP2 is just suddenly a clean slate, it's technically a continuation.

It just does not seem like Nintendo's priority at the moment at all and I'm unsure where people are getting the idea that FP2 reflects this mentality.
Yeah, it really doesn’t seem like Nintendo is going after characters that would help their relationships with new companies. It’s been a year & a half since the last new company joined Smash. We’ve had 5 characters since then.

I still think my theory about them double dipping on both MS & Square could end up happening. Though, there’s a strong case for another Sega character too.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah, it really doesn’t seem like Nintendo is going after characters that would help their relationships with new companies. It’s been a year & a half since the last new company joined Smash. We’ve had 5 characters since then.

I still think my theory about them double dipping on both MS & Square could end up happening. Though, there’s a strong case for another Sega character too.
I do think that there's a solid argument to be made for characters being included from third party companies that already have content in Smash, just not characters. Specifically, Koei Tecmo (Ryu Hayabusa), Arc System Works (Sol Badguy, had a spirit board event with Kunio Kun), and Ubisoft (Rayman).

Agreed that the MS and/or Square Enix double dip could happen, though. I wouldn't be surprised by a Master Chief reveal at E3 this year, even if I am shocked.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pretty sure Toyama leaving Sony Japan already killed that one Silent Hill rumor from last year, at least.
The Sony Japan rumor was always iffy but there’s been persistent rumors about another Japanese developer working on it along with a western one. Again, all rumors but with how persistent SH rumors are I’d be shocked if they amounted to nothing.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 313357
this is really interesting. It would be really interesting to see how canon smash's era diversity differs from fan creations, like Smash Flash 2 and PMEX Remix.

just at a quick glance, the 2000's get a major boost here.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I will tell you the big plot twist of Silent Hill rumors:

A new SH game is being developed exclusive for Switch by Good-Feel. The director is Masashi Tsuboyama, SH2 director (he works at Good-Feel, he is credited as art management of Yoshi Crafted World, also worked in Miitopia).

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
2B used to be discussed more but after the info about Yoko Taro and Sakurai only meeting fairly recently and people being skeptical on CERO grounds (the former reason being sensible imo, the latter... not so much) conversation around her dried up a while back. And since then we got Sephiroth, who also doesn't help inspire confidence in her appearing.

I also don't recall her ever being part of some annoying leak that wouldn't die.

Anyway, she used to be a bigger part of the conversation.
I still don’t think this is that big of an issue. I don’t think Taro has enough power within Square to be at negotiations like that, he’s not like the Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest guys. It’s possible Nintendo/Sakurai just negotiated with some suits. Then Sakurai had a personal 1-on-1 with Taro later to discuss how to implement 2B (or even the NieR: Replicant protag).

Yoko Taro is a dude who publicly hides underneath a mask of one of his characters. I could see him being asked about Smash, giving a thumbs up then going back to working on a game lmao

I do think that there's a solid argument to be made for characters being included from third party companies that already have content in Smash, just not characters. Specifically, Koei Tecmo (Ryu Hayabusa), Arc System Works (Sol Badguy, had a spirit board event with Kunio Kun), and Ubisoft (Rayman).

Agreed that the MS and/or Square Enix double dip could happen, though. I wouldn't be surprised by a Master Chief reveal at E3 this year, even if I am shocked.
That’s a pretty good point tbh. It’d fit into my theory too.

I’d say Arc would be the most likely there. They’re a beloved, smaller Japanese developer in the same vein as Atlus & SNK. They’re also similar to Atlus since they had a breakout hit recently that pushed them into the greater gaming conscious. They also have a big game coming up that I could see them wanting to promote through Smash.

Koei seemed to have disconfirmed their only viable character. Ubisoft makes a lot of sense on paper, but I’m pretty sure they’ve actively asked Nintendo about Rayman & Nintendo keeps swerving them. Ezio would be a really cool pick IMO, but Ubisoft seems into Rayman in Smash even though they refuse to make a new game for him.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
this is really interesting. It would be really interesting to see how canon smash's era diversity differs from fan creations, like Smash Flash 2 and PMEX Remix.

I do think that Sakurai tends to include characters from the NES/Famicom era more often than someone younger (or older) than him might.

However, much of it can be attributed to that time period simply being when a lot of Nintendo's staple franchises were made. Nintendo itself doesn't make many new franchises, opting to stick to what works. Note that when successful new IPs do come along (ARMS, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Wii Fit, Miis, Pikmin, Animal Crossing,) Sakurai's happy to include them.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That’s a pretty good point tbh. It’d fit into my theory too.

I’d say Arc would be the most likely there. They’re a beloved, smaller Japanese developer in the same vein as Atlus & SNK. They’re also similar to Atlus since they had a breakout hit recently that pushed them into the greater gaming conscious. They also have a big game coming up that I could see them wanting to promote through Smash.

Koei seemed to have disconfirmed their only viable character. Ubisoft makes a lot of sense on paper, but I’m pretty sure they’ve actively asked Nintendo about Rayman & Nintendo keeps swerving them. Ezio would be a really cool pick IMO, but Ubisoft seems into Rayman in Smash even though they refuse to make a new game for him.
I don't think we can read too much into the Rayman situation. I don't see any reason to suspect that Nintendo's given a cold shoulder to Ubisoft or anything. Rather, Nintendo is extremely Japan-centric, and it's probably harder to do business with people who don't speak your language.
Probably because of him being in leaks.
To be clear, I've been out of the speculation scene long enough to be unaware of any potential "leaks" (read: rumors).

However, it's notable that Koei Tecmo has close enough ties to Nintendo to have worked on Zelda and Fire Emblem, and has pre-existing legal ties to Smash Bros in the form of a Fatal Frame assist trophy. Beyond that, Ninja Gaiden is one of the few classic NES platformers that isn't in Smash already, a title from an era of gaming that Sakurai draws particular inspiration from. Also, I think Sakurai likes Ninja if Sheik and Greninja are anything to go on.

I can understand getting fatigued over a character being mentioned time and time again, but the character has undeniable positives going for him. Doesn't mean he's guaranteed, but he makes a lot of sense.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Konami not being at E3 likely throws the rumored Silent Hill projects and Metal Gear Solid Remake project under the bus for this year though. Which is a shame but not unexpected. Especially since Bloober just finished The Medium and they’re one of the studios rumored to be on a Silent Hill.

GetsuFumaDen not being there hurts but they consider it indie so I’m not surprised. I want that game so bad man.
I don't think it definitely throws those rumors under the bus for this year, to be honest.

Those games could be announced at Microsoft's E3 (which I doubt) or any State of Play from Sony, which feels more likely if we talk about MGS and Silent Hill. At least because the supposed MGS remake is in theory being made by the guys at Bluepoint, and while they're not Sony's, they've been very close with them, so I wouldn't be surprised if said remake was a Playstation exclusive or something. Then most of the SH rumors seem to coincide in a few things, and one of them is that Sony is behind it in some form. In that case, that would mean they at least got the marketing rights for it, so that would also mean it would be announced at any event of Sony's.

GetsuFumaDen could appear during the Direct. As far as I know, a company not being at E3 to do an event doesn't mean their games couldn't appear at other conferences. Obviously Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are an exception to this, for obvious reasons.

I don't think we're getting a sony rep, but it was announced literally yesterday that Among Us would be getting an exclusive Ratchet and Clank skin in the PS4/5 version. the company deserves criticism, but not because of this.
It's just the usual thing. A thing is repeated a lot of times that it becomes the truth, even if it's a lie.

In terms of collaborations, Sony has been decently open. Kratos appeared in Shovel Knight and Mortal Kombat back then, he and Aloy are in Fortnite, now Ratchet in Among Us. And I'm sure Nathan Drake also has made a few cameos out there.

But them not getting along with Nintendo doesn't mean they're not open (in fact, I'd say Nintendo fits more with that definition). People sometimes seem to miss that collaborations between hardware manufacturers has never been a thing until recently.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still don’t think this is that big of an issue. I don’t think Taro has enough power within Square to be at negotiations like that, he’s not like the Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest guys. It’s possible Nintendo/Sakurai just negotiated with some suits. Then Sakurai had a personal 1-on-1 with Taro later to discuss how to implement 2B (or even the NieR: Replicant protag).

Yoko Taro is a dude who publicly hides underneath a mask of one of his characters. I could see him being asked about Smash, giving a thumbs up then going back to working on a game lmao
I mean, across different studios who have handled the series, Yoko Taro is the constant of Drakengard and Nier. He created the world, he is basically its Sakaguchi... if Sakaguchi had stuck around. I have no doubt he'd be involved, he's presided over the series up to the current day and he was intimately involved with 2B's inclusion in SoulCalibur. There's precedent of Square including him when 2B crosses over.

I mean, Gregg Mayles was involved in Banjo negotiations from the outset, and Rare doesn't even have legal standing in the use of the character, nor is Mayles Rare's head. He was, however, the director of the Banjo games.

I think it's quite the unrealistic proposition to suggest someone as integral to the series as Yoko Taro is to Nier wouldn't be made on board from the jump. It also just seems antithetical to how business is conducted over there, where I have to imagine that excluding him would be... just... disrespectful.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm not sure why people think GetsuFumaDen NEEDS to appear again. It's not Monster Hunter, it's a throwback 2D platformer. It's doesn't need multiple trailers or dev presentations.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I know SSF2 likes to pretend video game industry died and stopped creating new characters with Brawl.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, given that the early struggles of the Xbox One taught Microsoft to walk away from console exclusives, give their studios independence from corporate interests, and create Xbox Game Pass as a more affordable way to distribute AAA games, I wouldn't mind if the PS5 and/or Switch Pro underperform or potentially fail.

Nintendo and Sony have given us a lot in both hardware and software, but I'm more than willing to watch them take a Russian face-slap from the invisible hand of the free market if it gets rid of their more egregious anti-consumer practices and incentivizes innovation over stagnation.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know SSF2 likes to pretend video game industry died and stopped creating new characters with Brawl.
What, you'd think they'd add Bandana Dee in a world like that?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
When it comes to FP2 and new companies, I think it's worth noting that while FP2 hasn't added a fighter from a new company yet, we've still gotten new companies represented elsewhere. We've gotten Bethesda, KT, and... Whoever owns No More Heroes (Grasshopper, I think?). Even if we haven't gotten a new company as a fighter yet, it's not like Smash has shut it's doors completely.

I'll also note that patterns can and have been broken. Let's rewind back to FP1; We got a third-party, another third-party, a third-party from a new company, yet another new company... And Byleth, a first-party. Keep in mind that the preceding third-parties were all from completely new series as well, whereas Byleth was from a series that's been represented since Melee. Just because we haven't gotten a new company now doesn't write the possibility off completely, and it's entirely possible for patterns to be broken at the last minute once again.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
When it comes to FP2 and new companies, I think it's worth noting that while FP2 hasn't added a fighter from a new company yet, we've still gotten new companies represented elsewhere. We've gotten Bethesda, KT, and... Whoever owns No More Heroes (Grasshopper, I think?). Even if we haven't gotten a new company as a fighter yet, it's not like Smash has shut it's doors completely.

I'll also note that patterns can and have been broken. Let's rewind back to FP1; We got a third-party, another third-party, a third-party from a new company, yet another new company... And Byleth, a first-party. Keep in mind that the preceding third-parties were all from completely new series as well, whereas Byleth was from a series that's been represented since Melee. Just because we haven't gotten a new company now doesn't write the possibility off completely, and it's entirely possible for patterns to be broken at the last minute once again.
I think it can simultaneously be true that a character from a new third party company is possible and that having pre-existing ties to Smash is a major plus for legal reasons.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it can simultaneously be true that a character from a new third party company is possible and that having pre-existing ties to Smash is a major plus for legal reasons.
Yeah, I know. It's just that I've seen a lot of people seriously doubting a new company on the basis that we haven't gotten a new company in a while, and I don't think it's a possibility we should rule out yet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh don't worry

One of those will happen

Sony will learn the hard way that Western AAA gamers aren't the only demographic.
Considering how the ps5 is still failing to fullfil demand, I wouldn't say it'll flop without a doubt, your statement would only apply to later in the system's lifecycle with audiences getting sick of it assuming that'll actually happen

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah, I know. It's just that I've seen a lot of people seriously doubting a new company on the basis that we haven't gotten a new company in a while, and I don't think it's a possibility we should rule out yet.
I mean, I suppose I would make a distinction on what a "new company" is.
  • "New company" in the sense of "company that doesn't have a character in Smash yet" strikes me as incredibly possible.
  • "New company" in the sense of "has no current legal ties to Smash Bros. whatsoever" strikes me as a problem this late in the DLC cycle.
The former still includes the likes of Arc System Works, Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and a whole lot of others. (Like, almost 100 in whole.)

The latter, though, includes increasingly few major video game companies. The biggest omissions I see are either obvious (Sony) or...Activision Blizzard? That list becomes even more limited when you consider that only one Western third party company has ever gotten a character, and that's Microsoft. (Who got a character from the best selling game of all time and an honorary Nintendo character.)

So, if I'm going to bet on "character from a company that has existing ties to Smash Bros." vs "character from a company that doesn't have existing ties to Smash Bros.", one does seem plainly more likely. Not impossible, but more of a stretch, for sure.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, what with the Japan Studio shutdown and reports/rumors of third parties jumping ship to PC, they might as well be.
Yeah I somehow doubt that Japan Studio shutting down and (unconfirmed rumors of) 3rd Parties developing games on PC (on top of Playstation, mind you) point to uhh " Sony [might as well be] the only one making Playstation games".

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh don't worry

One of those will happen

Sony will learn the hard way that Western AAA gamers aren't the only demographic.
You say that as if Japanese AAA development wasn't also aimed at Western audiences as much as, if not more than, their local gamers. Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, even Sonic are all more popular with Western audiences and they're their respective developers' biggest cash cows.

With how expensive AAA development has become it's completely unviable for a big game to appeal solely to the Japanese market, whereas tastes in the Western world are uniform enough that it functions as a single, massive and very lucrative market.

Give credit to Sony, theirs is the only console that has both computing power to run big and ambitious games and an audience willing to play Japanese games. They get flack for being all gritty and cinematic games but the PS4 is the console that turned Persona and NieR into household names.

Granted, dumb **** like removing the X-O swap in Japan can alienate audiences and they do need to put in the work to reassure people that they haven't ditched the market as a focus. But to want for them to fail can only hurt gaming as it is, because it's not like Final Fantasy XVI can exist on the Switch or sell well on the Xbox Series X. The alternative is that you just don't have those kinds of games.

Last edited:

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
Now obviously this won’t happen for Ultimate’s DLC since we just got Sephi, but if we ever get another Final Fantasy character who should it be? Personally, I think Squall would be the best choice because of the mechanics they can implement with the Gunblade. However, Lightning is a fan favorite and a character that SE always tries to push while Tidus is very possible too because of how popular & beloved FFX is in Japan. A classic FF character like a class type from the NES games or Kefka would be amazing but I find that sorta unlikely just bc there would be very little hype for that. Not that it really matters for most cases but I feel like FF characters would be chosen more for popularity over anything else since they’re huge hype machines for Japan (and the west to an extent too).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In what universe?
This one, Lightning's super popular in Japan, no clue why people constantly doubt this
Now obviously this won’t happen for Ultimate’s DLC since we just got Sephi, but if we ever get another Final Fantasy character who should it be? Personally, I think Squall would be the best choice because of the mechanics they can implement with the Gunblade. However, Lightning is a fan favorite and a character that SE always tries to push while Tidus is very possible too because of how popular & beloved FFX is in Japan. A classic FF character like a class type from the NES games or Kefka would be amazing but I find that sorta unlikely just bc there would be very little hype for that. Not that it really matters for most cases but I feel like FF characters would be chosen more for popularity over anything else since they’re huge hype machines for Japan (and the west to an extent too).
My choices are Terra, Vivi and Cecil in that order, FF6 is great and Terra has fun Install shenanigans, Vivi is the goodest of boys and FF9 is great and I have major respect for FF4 with how Cecil's the first main character in the series to be an actual character who goes through development

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's gonna be Tifa.
And no one else.

Let's face it, neither Square, Nintendo, nor Sakurai are interested in not choosing the most popular JRPG girl of all time.
Hell, if we got 7 FF characters, they'd all be from FFVII

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom