• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I don't think Snake's chances are incredibly high, but I do think there are plenty of people out there who also underestimate his chances at the same time. There's certainly still a chance, even if a small one.

:094:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't have much faith in Snake, even if I do want him back. The Konami stuff has me in real doubts.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't have much faith in Snake, even if I do want him back. The Konami stuff has me in real doubts.
They're being assholes. That doesn't mean they've stopped liking money.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
They're being ********. That doesn't mean they've stopped liking money.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All your signatures are awesome! I especially like Iwata, and Luigi talking to Snake and Megaman. ^^ So epic!

On Topic: The CEO of Konami detests Kojima. So since Sakurai is a confidant of Kojima...."the friend of my enemy is my enemy."

Sakurai: Hello?

Mr. Sakamoto: Yes?

Sakurai: Sakamoto-dono. CEO of Konami...I was wondering.

Mr. Sakamoto: Yes...go on.

Sakurai: Fans around the world want Snake in Smash Bros Wii U. I ask very respectfully for permission to use the flagship of your company. You would be paid handsomely.

Mr. Sakamoto: Hey, aren't you a friend of Kojima?

Sakurai: Aye aye.

Mr. Sakamoto: *dial tone*

Sakurai: Hello?....Hello!? Oye oye?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ And that's how the conversation would go.

I want to be optimistic, but I am in serious doubt. I really still want Snake back in Smash Wii U even if he isn't voiced by the great David Hayter.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
^ This is last year, but hey I have never seen this because I am in the Navy. I was on deployment on a goofy aircraft carrier.

Kojima and Sakurai playing Smash Bros. OH! I wanna face them!

I think the chick in the middle is Sakurai's wife. She knows coding.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai and Kojima are grown men, not the plastics from Mean Girls. You can't apply high school dynamics to corporations. I'm not saying decisions can't be motivated by pettiness and personal grudges, because they can and they are. But remember that at the end of the day, a corporation's responsibility is to its shareholders. No, I don't think the president of Konami would reject an offer from Sakurai because he hates Kojima because he probably needs money more than he needs to make a point about how much he hates him. I don't think Sakurai would take Kojima not bringing MGSV to the Wii U personally and dump Snake out of spite. I don't think Kojima would stop talking to Sakurai if he worked with his ~enemy to bring Snake back. It's just business, and they've been in this industry long enough to understand that.

What I find interesting is that it seems Sakurai did not reach out to Kojima about Snake. Does this mean he was never even considered? The only veteran who has a solid reason as to why they didn't return is the Ice Climbers. There was a vague statement about "lack of priority," which could mean anything. Lucas is fair game, since EarthBound is... kinda dead and never getting a new entry (and I'd like to keep it that way because the three MOTHER games are little gems that deserve to not be tainted with mediocre sequels). But Wolf? Was Star Fox Zero simply not a thing when roster decisions were being made?

I feel as the roster grows but time constraints remain the same, it's inevitable that cuts will have to be made. Newcomers sell games, right? People want more newcomers (although with a few sparkling exceptions, we're really reaching the bottom of the barrel). Obviously, those will have the highest priority. Moreover, more characters = more balancing problems. Old characters will fall through the cracks. However, the Smash ballot and the return of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy shows that they know people don't like cut veterans. It gives us all ~hope~. For those of us who did not have the pleasure of seeing their vets return, the next game still beckons with the same golden promise it's made before.

I'm sorry I basically write the equivalent of War and Peace every time I post here, ha ha. There's actually more stuff I want to say but I'm pretty sure people will just start scrolling past at that point. I just have a lot of feelings

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Tomorrow is the maintence

I really hope they start talking about it tomorrow

Because i do not want another data digger ruining the hype

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've seen a leak for Boss Battles and playable Bosses (could be fake tho), but from what I gather the only leak being discussed is Shovel Knight.
Saw this too. There was a rumor that came out around this time last year similar to this. I think it was dubbed the "Pipedream" leak or something like that. Said Ridley would be playable this way along with a handful of other characters, including ones that never wound up in this game like Petey Piranha and Dark Matter (from Kirby). It should be noted though that this was also the leak that said that Takamaru and Dixie would be playable in the initial cast too so...

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Saw this too. There was a rumor that came out around this time last year similar to this. I think it was dubbed the "Pipedream" leak or something like that. Said Ridley would be playable this way along with a handful of other characters, including ones that never wound up in this game like Petey Piranha and Dark Matter (from Kirby). It should be noted though that this was also the leak that said that Takamaru and Dixie would be playable in the initial cast too so...
Was this the "Smash tower" rumor? Or something else?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm surprised that I don't hear more talk about Young Link as DLC

Before people say "there would be three Links", there are 4 Marios and 4 Peaches in MK8

His Final Smash would be obvious and they could bring back Great Bay too

I can always dream

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Before people say "there would be three Links", there are 4 Marios and 4 Peaches in MK8
Not commenting specifically on Young Link, just wanted to point out that this is pretty much the reason why MK8 roster is considered the worst in the series.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
^ This is last year, but hey I have never seen this because I am in the Navy. I was on deployment on a goofy aircraft carrier.

Kojima and Sakurai playing Smash Bros. OH! I wanna face them!

I think the chick in the middle is Sakurai's wife. She knows coding.
Where did you get the picture? Michiko Sakurai is his wife. Married shortly after Brawl's completion. Mentioned in a special thanks in one of Sakurai's books (I think pre-marriage), not 100% sure when they started dated or even the date of their marriage. I was going to write a Michiko Sakurai post eventually, but information on her is limited. She's only done one interview, AFAIK.

She worked on multiple games as a designer. She designs the UI, and made some of the stages (I know Mushroom Kingdom and the Metal Mario Stage in Smash 64, 100%, it's speculated that she could have designed the Yoshi stage in Smash 64 too. She also made the ending picture for Yoshi in the US version)

Boss battles is confirmed fake by @gameonion

I don't think we will see anything tomorrow.

I saw some discussion on the Shovel Knight rumor. I wanted to throw in my two yen, as I'm involved with it. Sorry for returning to an old topic, I didn't notice it until today.

I think I've proven that I don't spread misinformation with Source Gaming (SG) and through my reputation in the community in general. If Tamaki's source is wrong, then there's nothing that can be done about it, I was wrong. However, I never lied. I don't lie to the Smash community. I make mistakes, and I do fix them. With the amount of information I handle, it's natural to make some mistakes. That's the nature of the crazy amount of research the SG team and I do.

In my opinion, the Smash Community has been severely affected by such a lack of misinformation/ organization of information for over the course of the franchise's existence. Seriously, some of the stuff I'm working on is over a decade old. I'm not going to unravel the work the SG team and I have done just to spread a rumor if I think it's false. For what purpose? Page views? I don't even make money on SG (In fact, I'm losing money every month), and I didn't even heavily promote my posts on Shovel Knight. I spent my entire free time last week answering people's questions whenever I got tagged. I'm not looking to hurt the community, it's never been my intention or a thought that's crossed my mind.

Anyway, right now, after discussing it with @Neo Zero and @Tama, there is no strong reason to doubt what Tama's source is claiming. It's not as strong as the data leaks found by @shinyquagsire23, as that was concrete, hard evidence. I'm not 100% sold on the rumor, but as of right now it looks more likely than not. Until more information becomes available, I think it's best to just keep the rumor in your mind as a strong possibility of happening.

Last edited:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I am probably one of the few people who don't want veterans. At least not on the ballots behalf. i understand people want their mains back but at the same time this is our chance to see brand new people. You can go back to the game a veteran was in if you really wanted to and i know its not the same but you can still play them. How many opportunities are we going to get where we get to choose who WE want in? i figure this is the only time. Not only that but your veteran character still has a chance to return in the next game or even on its own naturally. So why not ask for that character you like, that you think no one else likes and take a chance, who knows they might get picked! Thats how i feel anyway.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I am probably one of the few people who don't want veterans. At least not on the ballots behalf. i understand people want their mains back but at the same time this is our chance to see brand new people. You can go back to the game a veteran was in if you really wanted to and i know its not the same but you can still play them. How many opportunities are we going to get where we get to choose who WE want in? i figure this is the only time. Not only that but your veteran character still has a chance to return in the next game or even on its own naturally. So why not ask for that character you like, that you think no one else likes and take a chance, who knows they might get picked! Thats how i feel anyway.
Have you considered that for some people, the veteran they are voting for is the only character that they would really love to see coming in Smash?

Last edited:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Have you considered that for some people, the veteran they are voting for is the only character that they would really love to see coming back?
if they really have no one (which is very rare) then why not vote for a character your friend or relative wants? Im just saying that this opportunity is better used on new characters since vets are not completely ruled out and can show up another time.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Technically all the games have had ballots with the exception of Smash 64.

This is just the first time it's opened for Western audiences.

They even released the Melee results. The results were published about a month or so before the actual project plan was finished (even though they didn't announce Melee until much later).

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
if they really have no one (which is very rare) then why not vote for a character your friend or relative wants? Im just saying that this opportunity is better used on new characters since vets are not completely ruled out and can show up another time.
If nobody shows support for a cut vet, it's safe to say they're much less likely to return - e.g. Pichu and Young Link don't seem to be coming back anytime soon, but the support for Roy brought him back from the Melee trash heap. We also don't want to have to wait five years (if that - we don't know anything about future installments of Smash and if Sakurai stops working on them, things could be very different) just to play as our favorite characters again. We also may not want to have to buy an entirely new game we may like less than Smash4 for a new system when we're already mostly satisfied with Smash4 and just want some vets back. Money doesn't make itself, you know.

Newcomers are guaranteed to come with every new installment. It's one of the selling points. Veterans are not. If people don't say "hey, we like these guys!", they're more likely to end up on the cutting block because newcomers take a lot of time and effort, and that means less time on returning characters. We lost Mewtwo in Brawl because of time constraints, and that's probably part of the reason for the lack of some vets in 4.

Personally, I am mostly satisfied with the roster. There are very few obvious choices left. K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, and Inkling are the only newcomers I support. K. Rool has a huge fanbase, so we'll see what happens there, Sakurai remains unconvinced that Ridley can be a not-boss, Splatoon was crazy popular so Inkling is a good bet for the next game, and Isaac... well, who knows.

Also, if a friend or relative wants a character, they can vote for it themselves. I'm not gonna waste my vote on someone I don't want because my friend is too lazy to google "smash ballot." :dr^_^:

I know what characters I want the most, and they're not newcomers. If you want me to "take a chance," well, I risked wasting my vote with Ice Climbers. Sorry, but I'm not going to stop supporting them for some fancy pants newcomers.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That defeats the purpose...Vote for a character that YOU want, not a character that someone else wants...A few vets are amoung the most requested characters out there; Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Roy before his confirmation, as well as Lucas, Mewtwo would've probably been the definitive number 1 choice if he wasn't confirmed along with character DLC...Sometimes folks are content with the newcomers they got and would rather see these characters return and with an uncertainty that they will they go ahead and vote for them, because they want them...I asked a buddy of mine early on which character he was voting for in the Ballot, he said 'no one, now that Lucas is coming back I got everything I wanted'...So in that case, should I expect him to vote for one of my characters, even though he doesn't care about them? I wouldn't complain obviously, but once again if he's perfectly content with a veteran returning then there's no reason for him to want any other character, because he's now satisfied...
Imagine how many people are like this for Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers (from what I've seen these are the top 3 requested veterans), considering DLC may be limited and the next Smash game may not be done for several years they'd rather have their beloved characters return and they'd happily pay for them return separately...

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian
Developers know that vets are wanted. they don't know what newcomers are wanted, they may have an idea but not a for sure- people will like this character. With vets its a safe bet that people will like them. Well we got roy and lucas already and we didn't have to wait long.
Yes newcomers are a guarantee but same is said for vets. Your can't have a game with just newcomers in it.
well i meant that you could increase the chance for your friend. as in he/she vote and you vote for the same character.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
@ KimKarsmashian KimKarsmashian
Developers know that vets are wanted. they don't know what newcomers are wanted, they may have an idea but not a for sure- people will like this character. With vets its a safe bet that people will like them. Well we got roy and lucas already and we didn't have to wait long.
Yes newcomers are a guarantee but same is said for vets. Your can't have a game with just newcomers in it.
well i meant that you could increase the chance for your friend. as in he/she vote and you vote for the same character.
vets aren't a safe bet though...Roy and Lucas were pretty much special cases as they were added without taking the ballot in consideration, but they were chosen over other vets, these other vets may still miss their chance over other characters that people are voting for...as they have already during the initial release...recall how many people blamed Lucario and Greninja for replacing Mewtwo even though that obviously wasn't the case, veterans are often more important than new characters for some...

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Last edited:

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
Japanese 3DS maintenance has started.

Let's hope everything is maintained correctly.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
On the same device, there is. But it's of like a 7 or 8 votes limit anyway.
Can I get some receipts on this? I keep hearing different things - you can vote unlimited times, you can vote once per IP, you can vote a couple of times. Someone said something about the "Japanese site," but I'd like to see the actual page it's on and the translation of the text.

(not targeting you specifically, I just want some links from someone :woman:)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm surprised that I don't hear more talk about Young Link as DLC

His Final Smash would be obvious and they could bring back Great Bay too

I can always dream
EVERYTHING. WRONG. WITH. THIS
Young Link was replaced by Toon Link and everyone's okay with that. *ding*
Comparisons to a fighting game and a racing game is dumb *ding*
Said racing game's characters are almost entirely cosmetic *ding*
Implying that no one didn't like MK8'Ks roster *ding*
SIN COUNT. 4
FINAL SENTENCE. An extra hour in the ball pit

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
Japanese 3DS maintenance ended. Nothing new.

(Didn't know that *** was a despective term. The more you know.)

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
EVERYTHING. WRONG. WITH. THIS
Young Link was replaced by Toon Link and everyone's okay with that. *ding*
Comparisons to a fighting game and a racing game is dumb *ding*
Said racing game's characters are almost entirely cosmetic *ding*
Implying that no one didn't like MK8'Ks roster *ding*
SIN COUNT. 4
FINAL SENTENCE. An extra hour in the ball pit
You've been watching too much CinemaSins. :troll:

Last edited: